Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If I built up a 503 hard tail frame, what are the expected total range in costs? I want to get a decent first mountain bike after having carbon road bikes. I don't need top of the line, but would like something that's mid-range.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by bmc1818 View Post
    If I built up a 503 hard tail frame, what are the expected total range in costs? I want to get a decent first mountain bike after having carbon road bikes. I don't need top of the line, but would like something that's mid-range.
    That's all relative... You could spend anywhere from 300-5000+. No one can answer that for you.

You need to just set a budget and buy new/used parts to fit that budget. Best place to spend the dough is in the wheels and tires, a reliable fork after that.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you Weedling for your report! Alot of useful/good info =) A quick question, what mounting kit should I get for a 200x57 mm rock shox monarch shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CanYouSeeMySaddle View Post
    Thank you Weedling for your report! Alot of useful/good info =) A quick question, what mounting kit should I get for a 200x57 mm rock shox monarch shock?
    No worries. I was told that the mounting hardware was 22.2 x 8mm. I am using 22mm for the ´front´ mount fine, but the rear is wider. I dont have calipers to get an accurate measurement but its around 26mm. Cant say for sure sorry

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quick clarification, my BB height is 318mm fork wound in, 328mm wound out

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling View Post
    No worries. I was told that the mounting hardware was 22.2 x 8mm. I am using 22mm for the ´front´ mount fine, but the rear is wider. I dont have calipers to get an accurate measurement but its around 26mm. Cant say for sure sorry
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by halyho View Post
    1. The frame attachment does not provide for a positive stop in "down" direction. The only structural support is provided by two attachment screws that screw into the hanger itself. The thread only provides for minimal holding

2. The inserted axle cutout is pulling on two small holes drilled into the carbon fiber tab, instead of a cutout for the whole axle (what is the reason on the first place for the implementation of a hollow 12 mm through axle). This implementation is technically worst then a traditional QR skewer attachment.
    I have been reading about these frames for a long time on these forums and this is my first post. You're scaring me man. I am trying figure out what you are saying. The only "down" force I can see is gravity trying to pull the wheel down when air-born(maybe some added g-force when accelerating up). Do you think that small force will rip out those screws? The QR does fine with just friction or are you talking about something else. If you are worried about forces not parallel to the fibers look at someone like Bubba Watson hitting a golf ball at 130mphclub speed not parallel to the fibers of the carbon shaft.(exaggeration, sorry, but I am trying to convince myself to buy a frame)

MattSavage
    Anyone riding the XT275 with 142x12 rear end? What axle are you guys using? I want to use a DT RWS, but not sure about the driveside dropout. Is it threaded or does it require a nut?

I know the frames don't include and axle and no one on alibaba sells any.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi just thought I'd share my IP-136 build. very pleased so far
    Name:  bike photos to rotate.jpg
Views: 2984
Size:  102.0 KBName:  rotate2.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  125.8 KBName:  rotate3.jpg
Views: 3059
Size:  123.3 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I've read through this thread a few times now and I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Ip-136(Fm-136) or the FR-503. Can anybody elucidate on the differences between these two. It looks like I can get the Fr-503 on ebay for 380-ish shipped. Whereas the IP/FM-136 is around 480ish shipped. The builds I've seen of both look sweet and I'm all but ready to pull the trigger just trying to decide whether to go XMI-play, Hung-fu, or flyxii. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by caderader View Post
    So I've read through this thread a few times now and I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Ip-136(Fm-136) or the FR-503. Can anybody elucidate on the differences between these two. It looks like I can get the Fr-503 on ebay for 380-ish shipped. Whereas the IP/FM-136 is around 480ish shipped. The builds I've seen of both look sweet and I'm all but ready to pull the trigger just trying to decide whether to go XMI-play, Hung-fu, or flyxii. Thanks!
    Just look at the geometry. I forget exactly, but that's the reason I chose the 503, the sizing is similar but not exactly the same i think. Also, the 503 has different cable routing, more "external", not a big deal. And the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What would be a decent mid-tier fork for the 503/136

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm thinking I'm going to spec mine with x-fusion velvet or RS reba. Both have good reviews for the price (read good value!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I'm thinking about going with the IP-136. From what I understand it is spec'd for a 100 mm fork. Anybody thats ridden the 136 think it would throw off geometry etcetera took much if i threw a 110mm fork on it. I ask because I found a smoking deal on a 650b 110mm x-fusion velvet rl2.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    I ordered up my second Chinese carbon frame, this time from XMIPlay. I previously bought and built up an FM 136 from Hong-Fu bikes and have been very happy with that bike. I decided to try a full suspension 650b to replace my old Ellsworth Truth. I would've considered a new 650b Truth, but their pricing is just stupid. So, for $700 I bought the 120mm travel full suspension IP 156.
    Thanks for posting about this frame, as I was considering it as well. Hope you can answer a few questions I had.
    How's it holding up?
    What are the specs for the rear shock that you used?
    What type of axle/dropout are you using in the rear? Previously in this thread there was someone who was concerned when using a 142x12 TA on a frame similar to this one, so I wanted to see more opinions about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mike, Just sent you a PM but this post answers my questions. What are you doing for lock out. Any remote on the bar?

Also, any new ride reports on the new steed?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So after bouncing back and forth a bunch I've decided to go with the ip-156.

Can anybody help me out with sizing, I'm 182 cm tall(5'11.75") with a 88.3 cm inseam (34.75 inches). According to CompetitiveCyclist fit calculator my ideal effective top tube length is between the 18" and the 20". I think the 18" would probably be right for me? Any suggestions??

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition

I have the FR503 from Flyxii for 27.5 and will try to convert to 29er with Lefty. Any previous experience?

mtbr member
    I'm your size and went with the large frame. That would be my recommendation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks michael, I just pulled the trigger on a IP-156. Got the 20" frame, I'll let everybody know how it works out. Also wanted to note XMI-play's combo of customer service (read Peter's english is the best of anyone I talked to) and price was unbeatable for me.

Now does anybody have advice on fork and shock combo? I'm planning on putting a velvet rl2 up front and am debating between a CTD and a x-fusion o2 in the back. Any input would be awesome!!

mtbr member

Not going to break on you!

Well my wife (the Chinese frame is hers) drove into the garage with the bike on top of her SUV.

I know she wacked it pretty hard because the rear half of the bike rack bent approximately 20 degrees and damaged the roof of her Q5.

The Reba fork was bent about 10 degrees and the end of the QR axle completely snapped off.

No "visible" external damage to the frame. How it fared inside, well only God knows. I'm going to ride it a few times to see if there are any noticeable flexing. If not, ride on.

Seems like a solid frame to me.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by patrul View Post
    I have the FR503 from Flyxii for 27.5 and will try to convert to 29er with Lefty. Any previous experience?
    It'll slack out the head angle and raise the BB a little. In the rear I don't think there's room.
    Keep the Country country.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Anyone riding the XT275 with 142x12 rear end? What axle are you guys using? I want to use a DT RWS, but not sure about the driveside dropout. Is it threaded or does it require a nut?

I know the frames don't include and axle and no one on alibaba sells any.

Thanks!
    To answer my own question, the XT275 (and I presume others) work great with the Shimano E-thru axle.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    It'll slack out the head angle and raise the BB a little. In the rear I don't think there's room.
    Just for information, I tried this morning with rear 29er wheel and even though the IKON 2.2 is close to the frame, the clearance is enough

mtbr member
    May 2009

Does anybody know which kind of lightweight 142x12 rear axle should I use?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by patrul View Post
    Does anybody know which kind of lightweight 142x12 rear axle should I use?
    It depends on the dropouts, but try looking up two posts... ^^^

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone find a Chinese carbon hardtail trail bike with a 23ish ETT and 68ish HT? Designed for a 120mm fork? Something like a Jamis Dragon, but in carbon.

On-One's 456c is too slack. Otherwise I would get it. Hell, I might even go Ti, if the 456 Evo Ti had a less slack HT.

Thanks in advance.

Miggy

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

XmIplay IP-136

I took the gram penalty and went w/ the 136. (18", I'm 5'7) I also bought the handlebar, cage, seatpost & rims from Iplay. I'm happy w/ all of it. On the post, you need to have an open seat to get at one of the mounting bolts. The cage does not fit camelbak bottles. The hubs are novatec, bladed spokes. Tires mounted perfect, ~35psi and dish soap. I run the front tire tubeless at 18psi and it has yet to burp. The rimset weight is slightly less than stans crest setup. I think these rims are going to prove tougher than the crest. Drivetrain: 1x10 xt/x9/wolftooth32ring. Weight is just under 20 lbs. I've only ridden it 4 time (2 races) and am definitely faster than last year.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-065.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-064.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-063.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-061.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-060.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^^Looks great.
    Don't say you are faster than last year because of the bike on this site because all these "experts" will say it's you and not the bike. HAHA

Nice build.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks brotha. (I'm sure its all me *cough*)

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone know the xx1 Q factor on the hf-hm 196 hardtail? Can I get away with the 156 q factor cranks?
    Last edited by Scorekeeper; 05-25-2014 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Michael,
    I am thinking to do a very similar build.
    How is yours holding up?

I have one main question still about the bottom bracket sizing.
    Is the Shimano XTR BB, sm-bb93, compatible with the BSA version of this frame without using any bottom bracket type adapters?

Still getting up to speed on the bottom bracket stuff.
    I am planning to go with the XTR components group and the Fox Float 32 120mm front and comparable rear, mounting a lockout solution on the handlebar.

If the Shimano sm-bb93 isn't natively compatible (without using adapter cups), I think will look at an FSA SL-K BB and crankset.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey all - thanks largely to this thread I ordered a Flyxxi FR503 (17", 12x142, BSA) and had few questions.

1. Is the Bottom Bracket shell 68 or 73mm wide? (Trying to figure out the spacer situation)
    2. Is the internal routing built to take full-length housing?
    3. Is the internal routing for Derailleurs only? (It looks like it)
    4. Did anyone have the need to face the bottom bracket shell? (I'll be using using XT external bearing BB)

That's it for now but thanks in advance to anyone who can help a rider out! Heck, thanks for this thread at all and/or any other advice you may have.

Oh and my build? Velvet RL (black), Full XT 2x10 incl brakes, Mavic Crossrides (w/Stans), Nevegals, Easton EC70 Post and Bar, EA Stem, Flite saddle.

Given this is my first new bike since I build up my original 853 steel Dean Jester (the hardtail not the softtail) back in the mid-90s I am stoked! (Does anyone still say stoked? Maybe I should add that as question 5...) Discs, 650b, 2x10, tubeless ... too much change for me to even imagine how fun this will be!

My build spreadsheets out at an honest 22lbs (claimed weights though) with Eggbeater 2s. Total cost $2200 and that even includes all the little things - even carbon paste.

Cheers all.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have that frame. The BB is supposed to be 73mm but I did have to use a spacer with my Race Face BB so all bets are off... I did not have to face the BB before installing. It went together just fine.

The internal routing is for derailleurs only. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to cable housing. You'll need housing from the shifter to the frame and a ferrule on each end. Then another length of housing from the frame to the derailleurs. The internal runs hang free inside the frame.

And yes people still say stoked =D

Live Free & Ride
    Quick clarification, my BB height is 318mm fork wound in, 328mm wound out
    Hey Weedling,

Just checking in with you on the bike and if you have it set up with full 27.5 yet? I have a sweep on order that I'd like to run on this frame at 140mm front. Still not sure about the right rear shock though. Can you provide some info on your rear set up - mounting hardware, spacers, etc. that you used with success? Head and seat angles would prove useful as well. Thanks!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    May 2011

newbie and building

Hi

I have been reading this thread for a while and so ordered a full suspension 650b, I like building my bikes and happy to answer any question regarding this style frame.Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-image.jpg

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzablade View Post
    Hi

I have been reading this thread for a while and so ordered a full suspension 650b, I like building my bikes and happy to answer any question regarding this style frame.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2248 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	897891
    Hey gazzablade,
    Same as above...looking for build specs on one of these full suss for future reference plz. I have the fork, x-fusion sweep and would love to set it up at 140mm but not sure about the rear. Have you built one up yet utilizing a rear shock with more than 5 inches of travel? Nice wheels btw. Thnx
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Nh Mtbiker

I have done a rough rear Tavel measure and it's approx 120mm, not much I know as head angle is quite slack.
    I am in the middle of the build will post as I go on, running fox fork of 120mm travel to match back end.
    Rest of spec is xt 1x10 with 42t rear cassette, which is what started this all off.
    Thanks about comment on wheels, bought carbon rims from the same supplier with Enve style decals.
    I will post more measurements soon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Forgot to say, got the frame and wheels via aliexpress, dashine bike. Great at comms(via Caroline) but long delays on delivery. I did ask for a gloss frame but received a Matt one, when complained,they will give a discount if ordered again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Hey Weedling,

Just checking in with you on the bike and if you have it set up with full 27.5 yet? I have a sweep on order that I'd like to run on this frame at 140mm front. Still not sure about the right rear shock though. Can you provide some info on your rear set up - mounting hardware, spacers, etc. that you used with success? Head and seat angles would prove useful as well. Thanks!
    Hey

Rear setup is 22mm and 26mm x 8mm, and using a 200x57mm shock with no clearance issues. Angles are in my OP, but 74ish for the seat (effective) and 65.5 for the head with my fork fully out (540mm A2C)

Still loving the bike, it has done at least 20,000m of ascending/ descending already. One issue I am having is needing to grease where the main pivot bearings sit in the frame to stop them creaking. Did it last week, needs doing again .... its not a tight press fit, they just sort of slot into place. New bearings maybe ....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    oh one more thing. The frame was missing two tiny spacers in the bushings where the seat stays meet the drop out, this made the first part of the travel very stiff. I ended up making my own and its been fine. Just make sure your linkage cycles smoothly all the way before you build her up, hope you dont have this problem

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Hey all - thanks largely to this thread I ordered a Flyxxi FR503 (17", 12x142, BSA) and had few questions.
    2. Is the internal routing built to take full-length housing?
    3. Is the internal routing for Derailleurs only? (It looks like it)
    So the frame arrived today aaaaaaand ... it has internal routing for the rear brake cable. Is it going to be possible to get a hydraulic line thru those holes? I guess I will find out later as I am sitting at work with the frame right now. It will be my first bike with disc brakes (XT) so I am not going to do it myself. If it seems possible I will have a shop handle it as I assume the line will have to be removed and replaced and the system bled.

Anyone else come across this?

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-jlframe.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    So the frame arrived today aaaaaaand ... it has internal routing for the rear brake cable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JLFrame.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	899066
    I have that model and it only has internal routing for the shift cables. It's hard to tell from the pictures but your looks identical. Can you provide pictures from the front and bottom to confirm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    I have that model and it only has internal routing for the shift cables. It's hard to tell from the pictures but your looks identical. Can you provide pictures from the front and bottom to confirm?
    Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-frame3.jpg
    Entry at head tube (lower one is brake) Upper is Front Mech.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-frame2.jpg
    Exit on non-driveside chainstay just ahead of brake post mounts.

It sure doesn't look like a hydraulic line would fit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well that's slick. Wish mine had that. It looks to me like it will work. It looks like it's made to fit either brake housing or hydro lines (which aren't any bigger). But you will have to disconnect the fittings from the lines and drain them to install them in the frame. If you're going to have the bike shop do it anyways then I wouldn't worry too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was hoping that was the case because I assumed a 5mm end cap would go in the enitre line would too.

So thanks man that's a load off my mind. Maybe I will just DIY as I have done it on cars

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    Well that's slick. Wish mine had that. It looks to me like it will work. It looks like it's made to fit either brake housing or hydro lines (which aren't any bigger). But you will have to disconnect the fittings from the lines and drain them to install them in the frame. If you're going to have the bike shop do it anyways then I wouldn't worry too much.
    Yeah, if your brakes are pre-assembled and prebled, then you'll have to cut one end and run it through the frame and attach an new fitting, depending on the brand. The hose will run right down the frame, but there's probably no internal sleeve, so you have to fish it through. It's usually easiest to start at the chainstay and go up to the head tube. You might be able to tape the end of the hose to the end of that plastic sheath they preinstalled for you. Tape them end to end, not overlapping, so it'll fit through the internal routing holes in the frame.

bike rider
    My 503 frame had full internal guides. No fishing needed. And yes, 5mm cable housing or brake hose fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My 503 frame had full internal guides. No fishing needed. And yes, 5mm cable housing or brake hose fit.
    That is AWESOME news - I sure hope mine does too as it will save a ton of trouble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I recently cracked my 650b XC hardtail and I've seriously been considering pulling the trigger on one of the 100-120mm rear FS frames that are kicking around. I'd use it as a XC Race/Light AM bike to compliment my 26" Enduro/AM bike. I'd want to go for the FS because overall I think I'm faster on FS bikes. I did a few races in a local XC series and posted faster lap times on my Enduro bike than my XC hardtail.

Seeing as I have most of the parts as takeoffs from my XC bike bar the Frame and Fork.

I'd be going for an XT build with Elixir 5's for brakes. For the fork I'd try a Velvet or Revelation in 120-130mm and a Monarch RL out back.

Has anyone had their frames painted by XMIplay or someone else? How was the quality? I think it'd be funny to get it tennis ball yellow with "your brand here" written on the side, especially at races.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone know what size steerer tube/headset needs to be used with the FM156/IP-156 frames?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My FM156 taking shape.
    This will be my first 650b bike.
    Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-carbon-fm156.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    what size rear shock will the frame take? Hoping the one off my Santa Cruz Nickel will fit. Still need to find the size of that one before I order anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    On the FM156, 165mm is the longest that will fit. There is no room for anything longer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    oh one more thing. The frame was missing two tiny spacers in the bushings where the seat stays meet the drop out, this made the first part of the travel very stiff. I ended up making my own and its been fine. Just make sure your linkage cycles smoothly all the way before you build her up, hope you dont have this problem
    Hi Weedling, I think I have the same issue, not sure how stiff the travel was with your frame.
    There was a slight difference in travel resistance, now I have the shock in place, it does not travel too good. Can you post picks of the spacers you installed and spec if poss.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzablade View Post
    Hi Weedling, I think I have the same issue, not sure how stiff the travel was with your frame.
    There was a slight difference in travel resistance, now I have the shock in place, it does not travel too good. Can you post picks of the spacers you installed and spec if poss.
    Cheers
    Hey, its late here at the moment, but i will get some pics tomorrow for sure.
    In the meantime my issue was that tightening the seatstay bolts caused the seatstay to clamp down against the chainstay and bind. loosen the bolts and check if it becomes smoother. It will only be noticeable in the first 15% of the travel or so because that is the only part of the travel where is actually cycles, and then remains static throughout.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Many thanks I will test this out in the morning, cheers for the guidance.

Also note to others, I have to run a 160mm rear rotor, with the xt brakes. When I place the 180mm adapter, the brake calliper was in contact with the seat stay

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Ltk088

Hey Gazzablade and Weedling

I'm getting confused
    I can see you both have recieved the same frame (LKT088)

One said there is a travel of approx 140mm (135.5mm) with a 200x57 shock and a lot of clearance
    The other said it can only manage a travel of 120mm. ? (I guess this it with a 200x50, but what about the frame clearance?)

Who is right here `?

I'm about to order a frame like yours but is hoping for a travel of approx 140mm.

What did you guys pay for the frame and from who ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lindgren; 06-17-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spell error

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi,

I 'should' be getting 135mm based on what I was told when i brought the frame, which was that you get 118.9mm of travel with a 50mm stroke shock. But to be honest i think i am getting more like 120mm with a 57mm! I dont have an exact measurement sorry.

I paid $730 shipped from Feel bicycle, but i advise against using them. still waiting for things missing from my order 2 months down the line ....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi lingren

Yes I got the lkt088 this was for 650usd(great exchange rates at the mo). I bought from dashine bikes
    The rear travel was a very rough estimate.
    I will post some measurement up for you shortly

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Weedling

Gazza.
    I would really appreciate some measurements
    Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

I 'should' be getting 135mm based on what I was told when i brought the frame, which was that you get 118.9mm of travel with a 50mm stroke shock. But to be honest i think i am getting more like 120mm with a 57mm! I dont have an exact measurement sorry.

I paid $730 shipped from Feel bicycle, but i advise against using them. still waiting for things missing from my order 2 months down the line ....
    Well, i just did some measurement / animations duo to drawings i received for the Ltk088 frame.
    I ran it through Autocad and made a simulation with at 200x50mm stroke and a 200x57mm stroke.

The 200x50mm. ran in at EXACTLY 100mm. of rear wheel travel.
    With the 200x57mm. you are up with approx 113mm. of rear wheel travel.

These measurements have taken the circular movement into account and should be pretty exact.

WHAT a bummer... I was really hoping for a long travel bike.. But i guess not

BTW. Gazza and Weedling.
    It's 2 different frames you guys have.
    The above measurements is based on the LTK088 frame Weedling have.

I hope people can use this, so they don't expect to get a long travel bike for a bargain!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good job Lindgren, but shame about the result ... Bloody Chinese, i was told 118.9 from multiple sources. For me its kind of a blessing in disguise though, i would never have purchased the frame had i known the real travel, but in the end, i really like it.
    Are you going to complain / return the frame?

Also i think me and Gazza do have the same frame, his is just a much smaller size

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I haven't bought a frame.
    I just asked a seller with the LTK088 about the specs and drawings/measurements.
    Based on the drawings i received, i made an computer-animation to figure out the travel.
    I've got drawings for 16", 18" and 20", where the rear suspension system is the same.
    On the frame Gazza have you can see the pivot at the rearshock is slightly different than yours

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks the same to me albeit his is halfway into it's travel in the photo. Really appreciate the computer wizardry though, weldone!
    Are you able to export the animation at all? I might like to use it to have a whinge at the company (feel bicycle)

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ahh, that's what cracks my eyes, Of course!
    I guess i saw a shock on his bike
    Then it for sure is the same specs on you bikes.

Sorry but i can't.
    It's a "special" program which is quite expensive.
    Can't open the file in other programs - sry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No worries, thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So I guess there are no longer travel full suspension frames available?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok I'm looking at the IP-156 full suspension 27.5er frame. currently i have a RP23 140mm travel shock..i also have a rock shock revelation XX fork for a 26"..i am assuming the only thing transferable is the 140mm RP23? also, which one is the external threaded bottom bracket, BSA or BB30? Also curious on what suggestions for stem length...im assuming 90mm?, crank length..170 or 175? I know this all varies, but again...seeing what can potentially be compatible or not and want to make sure i can get a frame with a external threaded bottom bracket. Any and all info will be great!

bike rider
    BSA. 175 if you're over 6ft. 170 if you're under. You have to measure your shock's eye-to-eye length and stroke and compare that to what the frame specifies. 60-80mm stem length. If in between frame sizes go up and get a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    BSA. 175 if you're over 6ft. 170 if you're under. You have to measure your shock's eye-to-eye length and stroke and compare that to what the frame specifies. 60-80mm stem length. If in between frame sizes go up and get a shorter stem.
    Cool, thanks for the info much appreciated! I am also seeing 120mm for fork travel to be a common trend? 140mm might be overkill and throw the geo off?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think somewhere mid-thread Peter from IPlay had a promotion on an all mtn FS frame that I would assume has more travel. And now I see Peter is banned....

bike rider
    I wouldn't put a 140mm fork on a 100-120mm travel frame. You'll get a high BB and handlebar and will have trouble using all the travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    IP-088. Looks like the same frame as the ltk088. Never mind....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Almost done ...

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-photo.jpg

Pardon the backdrop. When I get the headset race I can finally ride the damn thing. Oh and thanks Cane Creek for putting a 1 1/8 Race in the box with a 1.5" bottom bearing!

The build went super-easy, no snags really. The internal shifter lines would not accept full-length housing as there are stops at the entry and exit points. The rear brake line was cake as all internal routing has full tubes inside.

Crossrides (only front is setup tubeless right now), 2.1 Nevegals, Full XT (2x10), EC70 Post/Bar, EA70 Stem, Velvet R = 25.8 Lbs on bathroom scale.

Cannot wait!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Looks like I may be out $600 on a bad HongFu FM-136

Hi all,

Regrettably, my first post here is not the happy one I hoped for. I received a HongFu FM-136 in early May and it had a bubbles/delam in the layup.

I notified HongFu. Rep said it was a production process problem, and instructed me to return frame to them. They said that upon receipt of the bad frame they they would refund the $85 return shipping I had to front, and repair the frame. I was not comfortable with a repair job, so asked for new replacement frame and rep said OK.

In early June, HongFu rep received frame. They said they would send a replacement in one week, but that they would refund return shipping only after I received the replacement frame and confirmed it was good. Holding my return shipping hostage was my first indication of aggressive tactics.

After two more weeks of HongFu rep saying they would send the replacement frame that week, I expressed my dissatisfaction with the delay and again requested my return shipping be refunded. I then get a reply email on June 22 that the rep I had been working with was out sick until July 5. They are clearly stonewalling now.

The facts I've summarized are all documented via email, and I've opened a dispute with paypal, but I may be out $600.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle this further?

Here's a pic of a bubble:

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-frame-bubble.jpg

Here's a quote from HongFu rep:
    "very sorry for that,
    1.i have send the picture to our Quality inspection departments,
    2.Verified is our quality problem, we will immediately send a new one back to you, but after we received your return frame,
    3. you need after we receive your return to the frame, before that can you quote me return shipping it? then i can do the after-service better for you,
    4.This problem is the appearance does not matter with the glossy finish, is in the production process of the carbon cloth without gripping,
    5. if you like the glossy finish, not need to change matt finish"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'd get all your docs/pics in the paypal dispute page. If the dispute is going nowhere, don't miss the time limit to escalate to a claim. I doubt paypal will side w/ HF (if you have what you say you have). Also, if you used a credit card you probably have some protection thru them. I bet HF comes thru. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I hope that you get a quick solution to this.
    I may have a similar dispute with a frame which has a crack near the upper headset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My paypal dispute for the original purchase price was denied by HF. They told me they would only send a replacement frame if I closed the paypal dispute. Paypal rules are that if you close your dispute you cannot ever escalate it to paypal claim. Of course HF knows paypal rules, so that they would even suggest such an ultimatum is shenanigans.

Getting the biz from HF surprises me all the more because I've shown I'm not a high maintenance customer. This is the second FM-136 I bought in as many months. I went halfsies with a buddy on the first, who bought me out when it arrived in good shape. So, I ordered this one a few weeks later. But it takes a problem for HF to show their stripes...giving such a hard time over small money.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this is one I read through when I was exploring frame options/vendors and would have liked to know more about how HF handles problems. So, carry on y'all and I'll stay calm...will update once again upon final resolution of paypal claim, or if anyone has a specific question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yea, no way I'd close the dispute until you get the money or the frame....

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I placed my order with Peter from xmiplay.cn for the IP-156 frame with a 142 rear axle and some IP-HR735C 35mm hookless rims. Getting all my build pieces together now and I'll report back with progress. I've got a SRAM X01 1x11 groupset and stans 3.30 hubs that I picked up a month ago going onto this bike.

I've got an x-fusion velvet rl2 fork, hilo dropper seat post, and a few other things on order. Only thing that I haven't ordered yet is the rear shock and some smaller items.

Looking forward to building this up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It's done. Maiden voyage tomorrow morning. Dean is jealous.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-flyxii-dean.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-flyxii.jpg

On the street in front of the house in flip-flops bedding brakes it is awesome.

mtbr member
    Lotsa good info here, thanks. Can anybody tell me if the Velocarbon frame on ebay is the same as one of these frames?

650B Hard Tails Carbon Frame 27 5ER Mountain Bike Carbon Frame x 12mm Axle Thru | eBay
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Subbing since I have an entire bike worth of spare parts a la slx / avid elixir 7, gonna grab one of these frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    Lotsa good info here, thanks. Can anybody tell me if the Velocarbon frame on ebay is the same as one of these frames?

650B Hard Tails Carbon Frame 27 5ER Mountain Bike Carbon Frame x 12mm Axle Thru | eBay
    Thanks!
    Its not an IP-136. (I have not seen this velo frame before.)

mtbr member
    Are any of you gents using these frames of taller stature? I'm 6'3" and the ETT on all of these frames seems a bit short. For comparison, my xl f29 is 641mm ETT and the 20.5 IP-136 has an ETT of 625. I don't know that I should be complaining about 15mm and I can cwrtainly make it up in stem length, just curious.

bike rider
    The XL (I think it was called 21") FR503 is pretty big. I'm 6'2" and have never had a bike with so little seatpost sticking out. The top tube feels considerably longer than my XL Ibis Mojo SL. I'm running a 60mm stem so I think you'd be comfortably stretched out with a 70 or 80, let alone one of those XC length jobs.

mtbr member
    Awesome thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Carbonality Bike

I purchased the frame, fork and rims from Carbonality. Fork is a thru axle 29er but it had the correct AC that I was looking for. It was all together uneventful ordering the bike . Bike is built with Ritchey bar, stem, post. Drivetrain is X9 rear and XT Front and XO brakes. Bike should be under ~17.3.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_7655_zps1bf59b24.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_7657_zps83ccaffb.jpg

mtbr member
    That post made me so excited until I checked their site. To my chagrin, their frames only go up to 19" :-(

mtbr member
    This is turning out to be one hell of a tough go. Neither flyxii nor xiamplay have any 20.5 - 21 (basically xl) frames. Tome to stuff through this thread and figure out who else sells these things.

mtbr member
    Hey, have a look at xmiplay IP-027 frame.
    21" size frame has 627mm ETT - the longest i could find. Actually I've ordered the same frame but it's still on the way.

Also the correct ETT length for the IP-136 20" is 620mm

cheers,
    Maxim
    Last edited by impossible; 07-03-2014 at 01:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah those aren't so terrible. How long ago did you order?

mtbr member
    Shipping might take quite a long time. If they have it in stock can be shipped immediately, depends on frame type, size, finishing
    In my case it's very long - I ordered it in the very beginning of May and still haven't received it.

mtbr member
    Oh ok. I actually received an email back from fly, they may have one in stock, if so I'm going to try and pick it up this weekend

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    This is turning out to be one hell of a tough go. Neither flyxii nor xiamplay have any 20.5 - 21 (basically xl) frames. Tome to stuff through this thread and figure out who else sells these things.
    Search ebay for FR503. I think the IP136 also comes in XL.

mtbr member
    I don't think either of those have a swappable dropout which isn't a deal breaker but not desirable. I'll have to check. Thanks for the info!

I'm fairness the only other option I'm considering (on one 45650b) is a 135 only option but at 220# I like the idea of a 142 axle to reduce flex

mtbr member
    As for the FR503 21", when I contacted Flyxii 2 months ago, the answer was short:

SORRY , W JUST have 17" , 19"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey all, I have some bad news to report about my Hong-fu FM136 frame which I built up on the 5th October 2013 (I posted a photo of her in post 264). It has developed at hair line crack in the top tube and seat tube junction (see photo below) I can feel it with my finger nail and when I push down on the rear portion of my saddle and flex the frame I can see the crack get bigger.

The problem I have is I bought the frame in February and it sat in storage while I collected the parts to build it, so my one year warranty has expired.

I have emailed Hong-fu bikes with the photo and I am awaiting their response, but I don't think they will do anything.

Does anyone think this is repairable or worth being repaired?

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-hong-fu-fm136-frame-crack.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have seen some impressive builds in this thread; however, I wonder how they are being ridden. Are you guys & gals just riding smooth single track or are some really beating the heck out of them on the trails? Just curious about long term durability.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 283