Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This company is eventually pretty clueless. They should take this publicity provided by this forum; stand behind their product and improve the design. Offer some kind of upgrade program at least for the full suspension frame (rear triangle replacement for cost?). They could sell a lot of frames by creating some kind of "premium" Chinese brand. They have the engineering knowledge, but communications and focus is nil.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi Peter,

I owe you some feedback. The dropouts are exactly the same as on the pictures you posted. Also, the Shimano axle you have suggested works properly. However, you did not provide feedback about the set screw used.

Nevertheless, the structural problem of the junction is still there, you can not fix that with a new hanger.

Thanks for your help and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by peterque View Post
    Hello Halyho,

If possible. Could you dismount the dropouts (both left and right pieces)? And take some pictures and send them to my email ? My concern is maybe the left side piece is not matching for your right dropout.

Thanks and Regards,
    Peter

Email: peter@xmiplay.cn

mtbr member
    Ok so I think I want to swap my nickel frame for a hardtail carbon frame. I want tapered BSA 135mm. So many on ebay I'm confused. Fr501 what is the ip 136? After looking aound it seems My nickel frame is 7.5 lbs so I will drop around 5 lbs!!!

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by halyho View Post
    This company is eventually pretty clueless. They should take this publicity provided by this forum; stand behind their product and improve the design. Offer some kind of upgrade program at least for the full suspension frame (rear triangle replacement for cost?). They could sell a lot of frames by creating some kind of "premium" Chinese brand. They have the engineering knowledge, but communications and focus is nil.
    And now you understand the concept of Name Brands with regional Distribution channels and representation. The only way to make any profit selling a $700 carbon full suspension frame is to not have any costs tied up in administration, R&D, Customer Support, warranties, etc. I'm all for direct to consumer products, but the big catch is that you're gonna have to deal with whatever gets shipped to you.
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

em2
    mtbr member
    halyho you have to build and ride first then abuse it to find out IF there is any problem.
    It is not the first frame that the dropout are attached with 2 small screws and you are not the first one who buy this frame.

The fact that you don't like this system doesn't make it bad

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It would be great if you would bring up some arguments (preferably engineering) instead of your opinion. Please convince me; you did not so far.

Selling more of the same product does not make it automatically good or bad. Just think about religion and automobile recalls

Quote Originally Posted by em2 View Post
    halyho you have to build and ride first then abuse it to find out IF there is any problem.
    It is not the first frame that the dropout are attached with 2 small screws and you are not the first one who buy this frame.

The fact that you don't like this system doesn't make it bad

bike rider
    I agree the swappable dropout system looks less stiff than a standard 142. However, it likely won't lead to a failure* and the difference in stiffness may or may not be felt when using these frames for their intended purposes (XC/Trail riding). At this time and price point they must have felt that accommodating 135QR was neccessary. In the future I bet they change to a full wrap carbon, 142 only dropout with only a removable derailleur hanger.

*If they were seeing significant failures it wouldn't be economically feasible to keep producing them.
    Keep the Country country.

em2
    mtbr member
    The two attachment screws is to just to have the dropout in the right place
    The structural support is provided by the 15Nm tightening force of axle.

Now convince everyone that you are able to feel any flex down there when you riding 2.2 tires with low pressure

mtbr member
    I see this thread took a slight curve in the direction it was headed. All good information none the less.

I thought I would share my impressions of this bike having now owned and ridden it for about 2 months.

I have the FR-502 frame. It was shipped to my door for $350.00. I think the quality of the frame is very good for that dollar amount spent. It arrived quickly and the build went together no problem.

On my first time out, I took a nice spill and bent the rear derailleur hanger. Easy enough fix to bend back and it shifts just fine now. However, I did order 4 new pieces direct from Flyxii.com for $21.00 and received 8 within a week. Maybe 4 means 8 in Chinese????

My problem with this frame is 2 fold and both issues are because of me and my riding ability - which is not very good.

1. I ordered the wrong size. I ended up going with a size 17" because I normally ride a medium or right now, an 18" steel hardtail. This bike feels really really small. As a result, I can't get comfortable on it. I'm 5'9" 155 lbs.
    2. This bike is too light for my ability. On a rough decent I cannot keep enough momemtum up to get back up a hill if it is rooty or rocky. Because I'm not a good rider, I'm on the brakes alot. When I head back up and hit some roots, done! No momentum, not getting back up the hill. Very aggravating.

With that said, the lightweight is great for smooth climbs. It accelerates hard and is stiff enough that it flys up the hills. I'm sure this makes a great bike for someone with more ability than me.

Just thought I'd share.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

bike rider
    Here's my FR-502. Cost me $1700. I already had the post, bars, and pedals. 19.3lb with the flat pedals, a little less with SPDs. I'm using it as a townie, for little trail rides with the dog, and it may see the occasional XC race when the course suits it.

mtbr member
    So I'm 5"9 180 and I should get a 19 it seems.

But what is the difference in the 501 and the ip 136? I think building a hardtail might get me where I want to go. A all purpose bike as I have a set of wheels built with road tires and I only ride 12-15 miles now a week on the trails. Plus I'd drop 5 lbs off my current nickel build.

mtbr member
    Definitely go with the 19" if you are considering the Flyxii bikes.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by champsk View Post
    very nice build! Do you have the total amount that you paid for all that?
    Sorry, haven't been on here for a while. All told, the complete bike was around $4k USD.

mtbr member
    Anybody try one of the non internal routed frames??

bike rider
    ^Normally internal routing is a pain. You gotta remember to always have the straw or cable going through or it's a nightmare to re-thread. However, the FR-502 has built in guides running through the frame so running cables is as easy as an external bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Q...Help Will the whippet frame and reba convert to a 650b??

Getting ready to buy the whippet deal.
    On-One Carbon XC Whippet Un-Decaled Frame Bundle

em2
    mtbr member
    you may be lucky with the frame but with not with the fork

em2
    mtbr member
    you may be lucky with the frame but with not with the fork

Quote Originally Posted by eischman View Post
    Q...Help Will the whippet frame and reba convert to a 650b??

Getting ready to buy the whippet deal.
    On-One Carbon XC Whippet Un-Decaled Frame Bundle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I do have a fox float RLT 80mm I could use and heard that would convert. My other q.....is should I go with the 456 or the whippet? the 456 seams a little more durable

bike rider
    That Whippet frame won't fit 650 mtn tires. It says it only fits 2.2" 26" tires.

The White Jeff W

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    That Whippet frame won't fit 650 mtn tires. It says it only fits 2.2" 26" tires.
    This dude says otherwise

My Whippet Single Speed

I do have a fox float RLT 80mm I could use and heard that would convert.
    Should, yes.

should I go with the 456 or the whippet?
    Depends on how you ride. The Whippet is more XC, the 456 more AM.
    No moss...

A waste of time it is is
    Um I think this discussion is in the wrong thread but while I'm here I'd go the 456, more options for both tyre and geo choice and a far more robust frame.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    So I'm 5"9 180 and I should get a 19 it seems.

But what is the difference in the 501 and the ip 136? I think building a hardtail might get me where I want to go. A all purpose bike as I have a set of wheels built with road tires and I only ride 12-15 miles now a week on the trails. Plus I'd drop 5 lbs off my current nickel build.

First the IP-136 is the newest design in 650B bicycle. now the 135mm QR and 142*12mm Thru Axle can be interchangeable.

the available size for you is 18". now UD black matt sold well.

i can send the geometry to you checking, pls contact me via email: bella@xmiplay.cn, my skype: bella-xmiplay.

Uncle
    Problem 1, and likely problem 2 are both related to geometry: Too small a frame for Problem 1. These frames all have pretty steep head tube angles (slackest I've seen was still over 70deg), which will make it feel twitchy and unsettling, which will in most cases cause a rider to brake more than if it were a more stable bike. My initial interest in these frames has subsided due to 1) more name brand availability coming down the pipe ("Hello, Kona!") and 2) the steep head tube angles.

Thanks to all the guinea pigs on here for providing useful feedback.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

Uncle
    Both bikes will have a high bottom bracket, which will raise your center of gravity significantly. If you ride a lot of rooty areas where you need the clearance, then this won't be a bad thing. The Whippet frame is long and low, so expect either a racy cockpit set up or lots of spacers under the stem. Clearance for the wheels is plenty, but I would wait for a dedicated 650b frame to help keep the COG lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by eischman View Post
    I do have a fox float RLT 80mm I could use and heard that would convert. My other q.....is should I go with the 456 or the whippet? the 456 seams a little more durable
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiMTB View Post
    I've been dealing with a lot of different Chinese companies, purchasing different technical products and materials, but never bicycles or bicycle parts.

The e-mails above look very familiar. Chinese companies are currently trying very hard but their product quality is not quite there yet. I have never got a refund on anything and the companies always say that you are the only one with this issue. They are very good with e-mails but that's about it. Most of the people you deal with in English are agents possibly working for many different companies not necessarily understanding much on the product itself.

Just from my experience, if you ordrer anything from China, there's a 10% chance you get what you wanted and 100% chance you won't get a refund if it's not.

I'm now purchasing very little stuff from China and after all the time wasted concentrate on other countries instead. In fairness I have to say that there still are two great companies from China I still work with, but that must be the 10%.

If you can't afford to buy a replacement for the one you are planning to buy from China in case it turns out to be crap, don't waste your money but buy something from closer to home.
    Funny how we Asians understand China and the rest of the world does not......I have been preaching for people to be careful....They think dealing with China and Tawian is the same....

bike rider
    I think most Americans are wary of Chinese products and the business ethics of Chinese people. However, when you can save $1000 buying a Chinese product over something else it's worth the risk to many people. For many of us it's the difference between having a carbon frame or wheelset or not being able to afford one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I think most Americans are wary of Chinese products and the business ethics of Chinese people. However, when you can save $1000 buying a Chinese product over something else it's worth the risk to many people. For many of us it's the difference between having a carbon frame or wheelset or not being able to afford one.
    Well I am glad you understand....once you hand your money over the deal is done...unless you can put them in a position to lose future business.... I have dealt and know a lot of people that have dealt with Chinese companies and it can be an absolute nightmare. On a general note Americans are very trusting and think everyone can be trusted if "one" deal goes through without problems.....Caveat Emptor..

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Hope you enjoy yours. I never got mine set up where it was comfortable for me. It's delegated as the wife's bike now.
    by Silentfoe

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Hope you enjoy yours. I never got mine set up where it was comfortable for me. It's delegated as the wife's bike now.
    Too small, too big, or just never felt "right"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Too small, too big, or just never felt "right"?
    I never got it "just right" - and trust me I tried. It wasn't too small because I normally ride an 18" and this was a 17.5". I tried different stem lengths, seat positions, and even bars.

Believe it or not I actually think the bike was too light for me and my riding ability. It was very twitchy down hill bouncing all over the place and the front tended to lift and wander going up. Because it was all over the place going downhill I couldn't keep any momentum when it was time to go up.

I do not have this problem on my steel Sirius which also has 27.5" wheels.

It's a nice bike, looks cool, but I'm disappointed with the outcome, but at least I tried.

I hope others can enjoy this bike.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterque520 View Post
    Did you contact Flyxii about the problem?
    What problem? That their bike is too light for my riding style or local trails. I'm not sure what they could help me out with?
    by Silentfoe

bike rider
    ^Sounds like you'd benefit from a little suspension and a slacker headtube angle. While my bike is mostly used as a townie I've been taking it on timed runs on the trails I usually ride on my trail and enduro bikes. The light weight and stiffness certainly encourage out of the saddle efforts and I can usually take 30+ seconds out of my usual climbing times but much more concentration and effort is required to stay on line and clean rocky sections. On downhills I lose 1-2 minutes and suffer major arm pump while barely maintaining control. A rigid ultralight bike is a fun novelty but there's almost no situation* where I'd take it over my 25lb Ibis Mojo.

*Here in Breckenridge, CO. I might feel differently in the Midwest or Texas.

mtbr member
    Looks like the frame i got and the one you got are differnt models. The 17 i got has a toptube length of 590 wich is almost the same as my nickel.

How long did shipping take?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    peterque520 would you consider making the above frame with a internal routing for a dropper post?

Also will the above frame available in a 142 x 12 rear drop out?

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Trd620 View Post
    peterque520 would you consider making the above frame with a internal routing for a dropper post?
    I used a 1x drivetrain so I routed the dropper hose through the front derailleur holes. It would be simple with a cable operated seatpost but with my Reverb I had to drill out the cable stops and guide tube. It all fell out the headtube.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 08-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    I bought a fr503 650b frame from ebay.(flyxxi,a baygoods zgr9) and it arrived today in one week. Fit and finish are great. We put a light down the tubes and it is for sure all carbon. Mine is a dead knock off of the limited edition nino replica.wil have build pics in a day or so. My mechanic lifelong friend and 25 year pro mechanic was very impressed with the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Built this for a friends son. He got second at nationals 15-18 CAT1

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0682.jpg
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    speedracerat

I am very interested in the details of the frame and what you did there.

Where/when did you get the frame?

what size is it?

what kind of dropouts? (there have been some design issues raised on the forum about the interchangeable 135 to 142 drop-out design)

what kind of rear shock?

I am trying to decide between a 27.5 FS chinese direct carbon frame and a 27.5 anthem alloy frame, so any weaknesses you saw n this frame would be of interest to me.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It is a 17.5 frame. It came from HungFu. Bought it earlier this year. Standard 135 mm dropouts (not interchangeable). Rockshox Monarch RT3 Mid/Mid.

I rode it before handing it over to give it a shakedown run and it performed well. Almost a identical copy of the scott. Only issue so far is that one of the nuts for the swingarm came off. Other than that the end user has been happy with it. I ride a 2011 Anthem X 0 29er, a 2011 Reign 0 (converted 650b) and a 2010 Faith 0. So I like the Giants. If I did not have those in my stable I would get one of these.

Thinking about importing these and offering a 2 year warranty (deal with me in the US vs the Chinese manufacturer) and making custom builds. You pick from a pool of mid to high end parts to complete your build at a fraction of the cost.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hello,

Do you know which Q-Factor i do use on de FM136 frame with BSA botom bracket?
    It is for Sram XX or Sram XX1 cransket. 156 or 168mm?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibo971 View Post
    Hello,

Do you know which Q-Factor i do use on de FM136 frame with BSA botom bracket?
    It is for Sram XX or Sram XX1 cransket. 156 or 168mm?

Thanks.
    I put an XX1 on my FM502 and used 168
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I put an XX1 on my FM502 and used 168
    Will a 156 fit or is there not enough clearance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    It is a 17.5 frame. It came from HungFu. Bought it earlier this year. Standard 135 mm dropouts (not interchangeable). Rockshox Monarch RT3 Mid/Mid.

I rode it before handing it over to give it a shakedown run and it performed well. Almost a identical copy of the scott. Only issue so far is that one of the nuts for the swingarm came off. Other than that the end user has been happy with it. I ride a 2011 Anthem X 0 29er, a 2011 Reign 0 (converted 650b) and a 2010 Faith 0. So I like the Giants. If I did not have those in my stable I would get one of these.

Thinking about importing these and offering a 2 year warranty (deal with me in the US vs the Chinese manufacturer) and making custom builds. You pick from a pool of mid to high end parts to complete your build at a fraction of the cost.

Would like a low price build with xfusion fork and shock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post

Would like a low price build with xfusion fork and shock

When will you have your "pool of mid to high end part" selections that we can choose from? Are you buying them in bulk to offer discounts?

Also, I'd like to know how much for shipping in the US? Standard rate, or adjusted for location. I'm in Michigan.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    Built this for a friends son. He got second at nationals 15-18 CAT1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG 
Views:	2470 
Size:	374.0 KB 
ID:	825733
    What a great looking build. what does it weigh?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Found this interesting. Check out the drop-out on the Haibike Heet 29er:
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks like a slightly better design. If I interpret the picture correctly, the two screws holding the drop-out also hold a plate in place that is a separate part and has a captive geometry, all good. Can't tell if they would use a metal insert (embedded in the carbon arm) below the plate. That would be certainly good news.

BTW, that linkage in the chain stay makes me nervous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do you have a pic of finish bike?

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast