Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    Well I put my money where my mouth is and ordered the FR-503 with fork. I went 17" (I'm 5'10") and the BSA BB. My build kit is on the way - SRAM X7 2x10. This will be my daily commuter and XC race bike and as such is getting the drop bar treatment - Salsa Woodchippers. Really looking forward to getting this thing built up!
    Sounds really cool. Who did you buy through? I really want to see updates as you get your frame and build it. I'm the same height and am saving up to buy the exact same frame and fork (except BB30 so I can run it SS) so please keep us posted!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought it on eBay from seller etatime. I may post updates as it goes together, but more likely it'll just be an album once I'm done as I don't waste much time going together.

Everything is ordered and almost everything will here by the time the frame gets here. It will be a race between the brifters and frame to see which gets here last! I ordered the CX2v brifters from Retroshift but they're on backorder. So if all else is here some mostly assembled pictures will at least be available.

This may one day end up as my SS bike. I didn't want to use an EBB so I went with BSA anyways. I'm fine with running a tensioner if I have to. Though since I wanted something to train and commute on it will be a 2x10 for a while.

mtbr member
    Well I put my money where my mouth is and ordered the FR-503 with fork. I went 17" (I'm 5'10") and the BSA BB. My build kit is on the way - SRAM X7 2x10. This will be my daily commuter and XC race bike and as such is getting the drop bar treatment - Salsa Woodchippers. Really looking forward to getting this thing built up!
    I'm 5'9" and this bike is too small for me. I do hope it fits you.

What types of trails will you be riding with this bike?

If you will be riding more XC you should be ok. If it is more trail, you will be bouncing all over the place.

This bike is un-rideable for me. Currently, it's hanging upside down from my garage ceiling waiting for a tire so my wife can hopefully ride it this summer. Otherwise I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought this size based on previous experiences with similar ETT measurements. If it's too small I'll just get a larger one and either hawk this one locally or keep it for my wife.

I have a Yelli Screamy for trail/AM. I'm building this one for commuting and XC training.

EDIT: I just double checked and the 17.5" XC bike I previously owned had an ETT of 591mm compared to the 590mm of the FR-503. It was comfy excepting that I could have done with a bit more standover. I'm not overly concerned at this point, but we shall see!

mtbr member
    Im 5 9 and the medium fr503 fits me perfect. I have a 32 inch inseam

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Im 5 9 and the medium fr503 fits me perfect. I have a 32 inch inseam
    That's good to hear as I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Greetings to All!

My first post in the forum. I did order FR-505 frame + rigid fork from seller zgr9 in e-bay, Flyxii frame, looks the same as FR-503, maybe the combination with the fork is changing the number, same geometry according to the Flyxii site.

My plan is a little crazy, I'm sure most of you will find it inappropriate or even stupid, but it's dictated from where I live and where and how I ride. Please read and freely judge my ideas:

I live in Botswana "temporary" for the last 6 years. Before that I was 4 years in Zimbabwe where I bought my FS 26" bike with RockShocks/Sram X9 9sp/Truvativ team 3d/Maxiss Crossride disk build. I did enjoyed the bike a lot in Zimbabwe, the Harare surroundings are beautiful, colorful with nice roads, steep climbs rocky dusty roads and pats. I'm a recreational rider, I don't ride for achievements and glory, just for fun and fitness.

Here in Botswana the situation is very different from Zimbabwe. The whole country is flat as a plate, with good flat boring asphalt roads and sandy boring dirt roads and flat boring bush tracks full with thorns. So many thorns that its almost impossible to ride 20 km with no flat tire. Of course everyone is running tubeless converted with some sealant, but even this is not enough, because with 40-60-100 (which you accumulate very fast) tire punchers the sealant is escaping from the tire very fast. So I decided to buy Schwalbe Marathon plus tires and combined with the TruckerCo sealant that I use it's now bullet (and most important thorn) proof for most than 200 km already. The problem is that the already heavy FS bike became even heavier with this tires (1150 gr each) and it's currently around 15 kg. Unnecessary heavy FS frame, which I mostly use to ride on nice asphalt roads, heavy MTB tires, good for the bush tracks, but too heavy for the road trips.

So I decided not to invest in a brand new road bike, but to make something like a hybrid. I wanted to use the old
    wheelset and drivetrain (both working perfect and never had problems with), and build a hardtail/rigid fork able to accommodate both offroad and road-ish tires. After a month of reading tons of forum posts, reviews and opinions I decided to buy a 650b ebay carbon frame. The idea is to use the old 26" wheelset for offroad (the tires diameter is pretty close to 650b tires) and build a hybrid wheelset from MTB 29er + 28mm road/touring tires for asphalt trips. To be more comfortable on the road I decided to change the chainrings of my existing 44/32/22 Truvative FireX to 48/36/24 and also order a 11-34 SRAM PG990 cassette for the new wheelset (which will be Fulcrum Power SL) and KMC 9sp golden chain.

I will post the exact parts list and building process later when I receive everything (if there is interest). For now I have few questions to everyone familiar with building a bike with this frame:

1. Is there enough chainstay clearing for 48t chainring?
    2. Do I need/is it advisible to buy a new set of cables for the brakes and shifters (the old is still fine, but not sure about the routing)?
    3. Will my existing rear deraileur SRAM X9 medium will work with the 11-34 cassette (the old one is 11-32)?
    4. How is the BB and head tube of the frame coming - does it need some machining, or it's done in the factory? What tools I will need to build the bike - I have the BB tool, cassette remover, carbon assembly paste and the regular bike repair tool set, do I need something else?
    5. How is the internal cable routing of the frame done - is it with internal canals, is only the internal cable entering the tubes, or the external hose is going inside?
    6. Will the 26" wheelset be working fine in this frame? Will the 29" wheelset with 28mm clincher tires (should be the same diameter as 650b fat tires) be working fine in this frame?

Thanks to everyone who red that far, I will appreciate any answers, advices and critics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Greetings from the US of A! That's a heck of a first post. I think you have a sound idea with a carbon frame/fork for flat ground. It will sure be better than a fully suspended ride, which is neither light nor needed. I almost went the same route but for not much more money you can get a decent fork (if needed).

1. I can't answer if that big of a ring will fit. That's a pretty big ring to be throwing on any kind of mt bike frame.
    2. The cables will depend on the size/routing of your old bike. I routed the rear shifter cable internally and had to buy a new cable ($3). The old one was just a couple inches short. The 650b frame is a little larger than a 26er. You may have better luck since your old bike is full suspension and may provide a little more cable to flex. I deleted my front shifter when I went 1x9 but I bet you can use your old one. The brakes; front is no problem since it comes off the bars and right to the fork. Rear I routed externally down the down tube and to the rear chainstay. This one was a little tight. The routing isn't "pretty" but I can turn the bars without it tugging on the line.
    3. Not positive but rear derailer should work as long as you stay 9 speed. You will just have to adjust the derailer.
    4. The bb and headtubes need no work. Mine seemed very neat and clean. I went with BSA since that is what I had on my old bike. Removed the cranks and bb off old bike and installed on new one. Easy. The headset will need to be pressed in. You can make a press out of some big washers and a long threaded bolt. Do a Youtube search on making a headset press and there will be some videos.
    5. When you get the frame there are two sets of internally routed cable holes with tubing sticking out of them. One for the front derailer and one for the rear. You cut the length of housing from the shifter to the internal hole and run the cable in it. You then attach the cable to that piece of tubing with some tape and pull the tubing from the other end, your cable comes out and you continue routing it to the derailer. I didn't pay attention when I ran it but I think they just go inside the frame, no canals or anything.
    6. Not sure about mixing different wheel sets but I think you will be ok. As long as your brake rotors line up and since you are running a rigid fork you shouldn't have any clearance issues up front.

There's some good stuff on You Tube. This guy does a really good job of explaining things.
    How to build a bike-part 1 of 12 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    would a 2.35 tire clear fine in the fr503? Looking at wheels and want to pick the right tire, most seem to be 2.35.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I doubt a 2.35 will fit on the rear. I have 2.35 front and 2.10 rear. There is just a cm or two clearance between the tire and chain stay on the drive side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks a lot man and machine! Very helpful answer. I will post some build progress when the parts start coming.

mtbr member
    Im selling my fr503 size medium frame and fsa carbon seatpost. Frame is in perfect shape. Great frame just working on another build

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey all, I have a creaking issue with my Hong Fu carbon 650b MTB frame. I replaced it with a FSA headset from chain reaction cycles but the dam creak is still there. my bike mechanic originally thought it was the crown steerer unit but installed a spare fork he has and it still creaks any ideas? I have read carbon spacers sometimes cause creaking in the Headset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Most Carbon frames have an aluminum insert in the head tube that you press your headset cups in or lay your bearing in. I had a bike that I tried everything and found a good mechanic that diagnosed it. The fix was to pull the insert out and put some of that filler stuff that I also use from my niner ebb shell. problem is if those cups that are inset into the frame have any gaps they will creak or develop a creak. Hope this work for you

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So Im strongly considering one of these hardtail frames to build a Single Speed with but I may have missed some of the information or am just having a hard time figuring things out. I would really like a threaded BSA BB instead of a BB30, but it seems like it may be ill advised to build a ss on one of these frames (or impossible) with a BSA BB, is that correct?

Which hardtail has the slacker HTA?

I think I want a lefty fork for it, but im not sure if Proj 321 or Lefty for all makes a conversion kit for this type of head tube, can anybody advise?

Thanks for all the help in advance, Im so freakin busy right now lol.

-FreuderLocks
    2015 Canfield Yell Scream
    2015 Tarmac Pro Disc Race

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I believe they all have a 71* head angle or close to it. They take a tapered integrated headset. The Project 321 stuff is all for straight 1 1/8" steerer tubes, so with the appropriate headset you should be fine.

As to what BB is appropriate for SS... On these frames (and any frame with vertical dropouts) you can either use a chain tensioner or an eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) to take the slack out of the chain. An EBB requires BB30. As I understand it most people prefer the EBB over the chain tensioner.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I believe they all have a 71* head angle or close to it. They take a tapered integrated headset. The Project 321 stuff is all for straight 1 1/8" steerer tubes, so with the appropriate headset you should be fine.

As to what BB is appropriate for SS... On these frames (and any frame with vertical dropouts) you can either use a chain tensioner or an eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) to take the slack out of the chain. An EBB requires BB30. As I understand it most people prefer the EBB over the chain tensioner.
    I have had really bad luck with EBB both in building and using, so Ill probably go the chain tensioner route at that point, I like the serviceability of the BSA threaded BB's, as long as I can get the chainline straight there should be no issue. Id gladly take the weight penalty of a tensioner over having a bb30 on a mountain bike. Ive just never had any good luck as far as longevity on any bearing sets in BB30 bikes.

Thank you for the information. Im most likely going to pull the trigger on the frame here in the next few weeks and begin the slow slog up to building the bike in the near future.

It should look something like this

Lefty Carbon XLR 29er
    Light Bike 650b carbon hoops
    321 front hub
    Chris King rear hub (I have a hub and a Chris King hub service kit sitting around)
    Cranks?? Not sure yet
    680-700mm bars Carbon
    Eggbeaters
    XT brakes

Kind of excited to see how little it weighs, Ill post pics and weights as the build comes along

-FreuderLocks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    With all these frame options what are the real differences?

I just got a bike last year so my next bike maybe consider going this route in a couple of years

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had the same issue. I eliminated all the creaks by greasing the interface between the fork tube and the conical compression ring, and between the compression ring and the bearing race, on the upper section of the headset.
    Try this and let me know if it works
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tried what you said Ausable still didn't work, I will be sending an email to hong fu and see what comes of it

Not dead yet, just playin
    Incorrect

PROJECT 321 | Products: Tapered Fixed Crown Lefty Adapter

www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum View Post
    I was under the impression that all of their available steerer tubes were straight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Any update on the build of the IP-156?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Kjellberg View Post
    Pulled the trigger on the IP-156 frame. Bought it from Peter @ xmiplay.com, he has been extremely helpful. Got some other parts as well, all in UD matte. Can't wait until it arrives, really excited. I will post pics and updates once the frame arrives and I start the build.

Have not decided yet on XT or XX1, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So this might be a silly question but what is the hub spacing on these frames in the rear? I cant seem to find it anywhere...
    Thanks,
    -FreuderLocks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FreuderLocks View Post
    So this might be a silly question but what is the hub spacing on these frames in the rear? I cant seem to find it anywhere...
    Thanks,
    -FreuderLocks
    135mm, though they will do 12x142 if you ask. It's just a different set of dropouts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Many of them are coming with both drop outs now
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Since many of you were asking, here's some build progress pics.

Most of the stuff that's going on it. Drivetrain is a RaceFace Turbine 2x crankset with X7 derailleurs and cassette. Bars are the Salsa Woodchipper 2.

The frame arrived and Ozzie is excited about it, too! Riding with his Daddy is one of his favorite things. I intend to hook his Burley up to this bike as well.

Frame unpacked.

Fork and crankset installed. I had my LBS do the fork as I just didn't feel like dealing with it. I'm handling everything else.

About how it stands now though I've added the brake calipers.

I'm waiting on a new seat tube (the one pictured above was too small) and the brifters from Retroshift. I did sit on it as is and it seems to be just the ride size the way I've laid everything out.

MattSavage

Most of the stuff that's going on it. Drivetrain is a RaceFace Turbine 2x crankset with X7 derailleurs and cassette. Bars are the Salsa Woodchipper 2.

I'm waiting on a new seat tube (the one pictured above was too small) and the brifters from Retroshift. I did sit on it as is and it seems to be just the ride size the way I've laid everything out.
    Retroshift doesn't work with Sram derailleurs... Only Shimano road 9/10 speed and Microshift...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    What the max tire size on thse 2.35 fit?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Retroshift doesn't work with Sram derailleurs... Only Shimano road 9/10 speed and Microshift...
    Good catch, thanks. My research seems to indicate that a Shimano 9spd mountain derailleur should work for my situation so I've got one on order. It'll probably arrive before the shifters anyways.

MattSavage
    Good catch, thanks. My research seems to indicate that a Shimano 9spd mountain derailleur should work for my situation so I've got one on order. It'll probably arrive before the shifters anyways.
    Yeah, old 9 speed mtn. stuff should work. New 10 speed Dyna-sys does not.

mtbr member

The frame arrived and Ozzie is excited about it, too! Riding with his Daddy is one of his favorite things. I intend to hook his Burley up to this bike as well.

Frame unpacked.

Fork and crankset installed. I had my LBS do the fork as I just didn't feel like dealing with it. I'm handling everything else.

About how it stands now though I've added the brake calipers.

Cool, Spring is coming..............
    Carbon life, Carbon fan!
    MTB carbon rims & wheels, www.carbonbicycle.cc

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My hybrid 27.5er is ready! (post 307, page 13). The FR505 frame + fork, saddle and tires arrived all together from different parts of the world on Thursday last week and my wife didn't see my eyes for 3 days :-). I had to put one spacer on the drive side of the bottom bracket to have enough clearance for the 48t chainwheel from the chainstay. Tested only with the "road version" 29" Fulcrum Power SL wheelset with Schwalbe Maraton racer 700/30C tires on a short 25 km road trip. Its definitely not a road bike, but it's exactly what I wanted! Much faster and easier to ride than my old full suspension 26er. Also much lighter - 10.00kg vs 15.60kg! It will be ~ 11.5kg with the "MTB version" heavy Mavic crossride + Schwalbe Marathon plus 2.1 26' tires. Cannot post photos yet, but I will work out something with my dropbox account later this week. Bottom line - I'm happy that everything worked as I planned and my ride is much nicer now. Next update will be with link to some photos after I put the MTB tires.

bike rider
    ^You always have to use a spacer on the driveside BB with a 73mm frame. Is your crankset a double or triple? You're only running 1 ring, right? If triple were you able to mount the ring in the middle spot? This would give the best chainline but I wonder if the chainstays would allow it.
    Keep the Country country.

Live Free & Ride
    Just inquired to synergy sports in China. Asked them: Thanks for sending this info. I was also wondering if you offer a custom built frame in either 27.5 or 29 inch? I really think your company would do very well in sales by offering this model, MB999, in a longer rear travel format...such as 120 to 140mm, along with slacker angles. Have you considered an all mountain carbon bike like this? These are just the type of bikes people want and sell the most in the US. If not, please let me how much extra cost is involved for you to build me up one custom please.
    Hoping to get something back as I really think they would do well by offering more than just XC bikes. Enduro is here and the newer 27.5 bikes all have more travel...so they need to start thinking about demand. Will keep ya posted!
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    ^You always have to use a spacer on the driveside BB with a 73mm frame. .
    I didn't know that. Actually, the whole BB story is a bit too complicated for me. Maybe I just didn't find yet the proper article explaining everything about GXP BB's. I was thinking that you need to use the spacers supplied with the BB only if the frame is 68mm (68+2*2.5=73).

I'm using 3*9 24/36/48 - see post 307 for details. The clearance between the big chainring and the chainstay with one spacer is 3-4 mm, there was even enough space to put a chainstay protector. The shifting is perfect, but I don't see a situation where I will use the 24T chainring, for this 25 km I didn't even use the middle one, it's that easy to ride the bike (of course with very slight accents and descents). If I'm going to upgrade something in this bike, it will definitely be the cranks - something like 34/48 would be perfect. I just don't know if I can somehow modify the X9 3sp shifter to 2 speed, its working so good I don't want to change it. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Formerly of Kent

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition

The majority of MTB sales are still HTs, even with carbon bikes. 140mm travel frames are going to represent a relatively small segment of the population. Chinese carbon frames an even smaller piece of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Valld View Post
    I didn't know that. Actually, the whole BB story is a bit too complicated for me. Maybe I just didn't find yet the proper article explaining everything about GXP BB's. I was thinking that you need to use the spacers supplied with the BB only if the frame is 68mm (68+2*2.5=73).

I'm using 3*9 24/36/48 - see post 307 for details. The clearance between the big chainring and the chainstay with one spacer is 3-4 mm, there was even enough space to put a chainstay protector. The shifting is perfect, but I don't see a situation where I will use the 24T chainring, for this 25 km I didn't even use the middle one, it's that easy to ride the bike (of course with very slight accents and descents). If I'm going to upgrade something in this bike, it will definitely be the cranks - something like 34/48 would be perfect. I just don't know if I can somehow modify the X9 3sp shifter to 2 speed, its working so good I don't want to change it. Any ideas will be appreciated.
    If the clearance between the 48t in the third position and the chainstay is that tight it won't work on a double crank. The position of the outer ring on a double crank is halfway between the positions of the middle and outer rings on a triple crank. That will likely move it in close enough to rub.

If you wanna save a little weight and effectively have a double crank that allows the chainrings to clear the frame you could ditch the 24t ring and use the derailleur's limit screw to keep it from shifting down from the middle ring. Then re-attach the cable so the shifter's first click is you middle ring and second click is your big ring.

The reason a 68mm frame uses 2 spacers on the driveside and 1 on the non-drive and 73mm uses 1 on the driveside is when these type of BBs came out chainguides that used a plate between the BB and shell were popular. If you had one it took the place of the driveside spacer. On my Chinese 650b frame I run 1x10 with a 35t ring in the middle position of a triple crank. This places it in line with the center of the cassette and should provide good enough chainline with all the cogs. However, when in 1st gear the chain was sometimes derailling off the inside of the chainring. Even though 1st and 10th had the same amount of chain angle the 36t cog didn't like it as much as the 11t. So I swapped that BB spacer to the non-driveside moving the crank and chainring inboard 2.5mm. This cleaned up the chainline in 1st gear enough to end derailments and still doesn't create problems in the 11t.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey what frame options are there for an internal routed frame with 12x142 drop out in rear?
    IP-136
    IP-019
    FR-501
    FR-502
    Venture SL (carbonal)
    All have internal routing, but only maybe some have 12x142 and it has been hard to be sure what the options were. If anyone has more to add let me know and I will throw them up.

I wanted a bunch of options if possible so I could find one with a fork bundle or something to that effect. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Any reason NOT to go with a chinese frame if I am looking for a DIY project? Any horror stories lately?

Any reason to go with a specific shop or do they all sell the same product?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G.R. View Post
    Any reason NOT to go with a chinese frame if I am looking for a DIY project? Any horror stories lately?

I heard they all crack right in half when descending! I'd look out.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I have not heard any bad stories lately. I think there is always a risk that something could fail and you're sure to hear about the horror stories more than the success stories.

I was a little iffy about carbon but have taken my bike out on several single digit rides and no problems. I even hit an icy patch on a down hill and drove it right into a tree at about 15 mph and the only damage that occured was to my ego.

I think all the frames are rolling of a couple of assembly lines and they are just sold by different co's. The FR series I'm sure is all made by Flyxii. In other words buy the cheapest one you can because its all the same bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by man and machine View Post
    I have not heard any bad stories lately. I think there is always a risk that something could fail and you're sure to hear about the horror stories more than the success stories.

I was a little iffy about carbon but have taken my bike out on several single digit rides and no problems. I even hit an icy patch on a down hill and drove it right into a tree at about 15 mph and the only damage that occured was to my ego.

I think all the frames are rolling of a couple of assembly lines and they are just sold by different co's. The FR series I'm sure is all made by Flyxii. In other words buy the cheapest one you can because its all the same bike.
    Thanks. Did you go with a China carbon or is it from a proper manufacturer?

The thing is, there is many sports outlets around here, and there is at least four "store specific" brands, with bikes in every price range, and I have real doubts about how much they actually design themselves, betting there is a lot of China stuff going on. I have no doubt that Scott, Trek, Specialized etc. has their own designers, but thats not the big sellers around here.

MattSavage
    XT275 and AC136 by Miracle/Ican

Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Hey what frame options are there for an internal routed frame with 12x142 drop out in rear?
    IP-136
    IP-019
    FR-501
    FR-502
    Venture SL (carbonal)
    All have internal routing, but only maybe some have 12x142 and it has been hard to be sure what the options were. If anyone has more to add let me know and I will throw them up.

I wanted a bunch of options if possible so I could find one with a fork bundle or something to that effect. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. Did you go with a China carbon or is it from a proper manufacturer?

The thing is, there is many sports outlets around here, and there is at least four "store specific" brands, with bikes in every price range, and I have real doubts about how much they actually design themselves, betting there is a lot of China stuff going on. I have no doubt that Scott, Trek, Specialized etc. has their own designers, but thats not the big sellers around here.
    I bought my FR-503 frame from Ali Express. At the time they had the cheapest price+shipping.

I think buying a frame from China like this only works economically if 1) you have a "parts" bike that you are going to use or 2) you are looking to buy specific components (fork, wheels, etc) that popular bike co's aren't selling off the rack. Giant has some really good carbon 27.5 bikes out there at a competitive price.
    Last edited by man and machine; 03-03-2014 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I finished mine this morning and road it to work:

I'm really happy with how it turned out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I finished mine this morning and road it to work:

I'm really happy with how it turned out!
    That's a great looking commuter bike. Are those schwalbe marathons? I just got a set for my cross bike. Let me know how you like them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's a great looking commuter bike. Are those schwalbe marathons? I just got a set for my cross bike. Let me know how you like them.
    Thanks. They're Big Bens actually. I like them so far though getting them to seat all the way on the Arch EXs I'm using is a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; 03-05-2014 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Cool looking thing, although unusual combination of handle bar and shifters/brakes on an MTB! Actually never seen that type of handle bar around here. Why not go with a CX bike?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cool looking thing, although unusual combination of handle bar and shifters/brakes on an MTB! Actually never seen that type of handle bar around here. Why not go with a CX bike?
    Dig deeper. It's not as unusual as you think: Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!

I didn't want a CX bike. I wanted this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I bought my FR-503 frame from Ali Express. At the time they had the cheapest price+shipping.

I think buying a frame from China like this only works economically if 1) you have a "parts" bike that you are going to use or 2) you are looking to buy specific components (fork, wheels, etc) that popular bike co's aren't selling off the rack. Giant has some really good carbon 27.5 bikes out there at a competitive price.
    Looks to me that there is quite a lot of money to save on building from scratch with these china frames, at least here in Norway. Seems I could get a complete XT groupset carbon fiber bike (sub 20lbs) at least $800 cheaper than buying something from a local store. Obviously those 800 would buy me a ready to go bike, with a five year warranty, but I do not mind spending time figuring out what to get, what fits and then installing everything myself. The only thing holding me a bit back is the quality issue, but I have discovered that one of the high end local custom bike shops use these "no name" China frames for their builds. They even have one of the top female riders in the mountain bike cross country world cup riding one of their bikes. Seems there is nothing to worry about.

Gonna go for this now, but do I go with 135mm or 142mm rear dropout? Which one offers most options when it comes to ordering wheels?

mtbr member

I've been XC endurance racing my FM-136 for two seasons and it's been great. Not a single issue. Won the championship in both seasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks. They're Big Bens actually. I like them so far though getting them to seat all the way on the Arch EXs I'm using is a pain in the ass.
    I am going to use my 650b hardtail to do some loaded touring so have been looking for tour/commuter tires like these and will be putting them on the Arch EXs as well. There certainly aren't near as many choices compared to 29/700/26 but hopefully this year there will be some more coming as the 650b wave rolls in. Did you find any others in the 38 -42 size that were interesting?

I put some 23 and 25c road tires on my 29er wheelset that I run on my disc cross bike. stans crest rims. they took a lot of pressure before they finally popped and geez are they really stuck on there. Getting them off is tough. What do you think made yours so hard to get on? Or was it hard to get them to seat? Are they wire bead?

Great looking build by the way.

Has anybody out there tried LTK frames. I see their ltk023 mentioned in the 29er forum with good reviews but I don't recall seeing their 650b frames here. ltk019 and the ltk108. The 108 only comes in bb92 which I would like to avoid unless somebody can convince me otherwise. LTK108-27.5er

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    I've been XC endurance racing my FM-136 for two seasons and it's been great. Not a single issue. Won the championship in both seasons.
    Sounds good. Guessing the FM-136 is the same frame xmiplay calls IP-136, offered at $400 + shipping...

Anyone know how many actual factories there are, and which models are the same? Guessing that the FR-models that flyxii has is not the same as FM/IP from HongFu and XMI?
    Last edited by G.R.; 03-07-2014 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by halyho View Post
    May I report to the group about my attempt to purchase a FS 650B frame form HongFu sports Equipment Co.,Ltd.

First, the good. Looking at the model HF-FM156 (2013 650B Full Suspension), I came to the conclusion that the design is well thought-out and fits my riding style almost perfectly.

The suspension is simple but sturdy; incorporating all the design elements I learned to like in this class of bikes: 13"+ BB, frame suspension butted against the top tube, minimal of pivot points (no fancy geometry claims) and 68 deg. head angle. The 108 mm (4.25") rear and 120 mm (4.72") front suspension is odd is some ways, because virtually all of the mainstream FS bikes have matching suspension travels -- wondering why. More about this later...

The medium (18") frame weight is listed at 1900 grams that is light; not unlike the quoted price of $700.00 that is also sweet. So I have placed an order for the frame along with other parts that would fit the bike and was available to order; totaling just under $1k. Order placed/paid on April 29th.

Secondly, the not so good. Ever since there is no shipment, despite very active communications with Nancy. I was promised to be shipped in May and now is shipping "this month" (June). After pushing for a firm shipping date I have learned that there is a manufacturing problem that was not disclosed to me before.

Quote from Nancy:
    now all customers are waiting the the frame.
    please understand,
    FM156 frame have a little problen on the seat stay.
    we need solve it and proceed to produce it.

I tend to be patient and understand problems, but China is a long way from Simi Valley and don't know what to think now. There seem to be some track record established here for Hongfu bikes, but not enough to make me worry free.

Wondering if someone has more insight here.

Reference:
    HF-FM156-M.pdf (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0v1...it?usp=sharing)

Cheers,
    Zoltan
    Hello. My name is Mrio, im interested in this frame.did you get to buy it?what about your consernes about the short rear travel(108mm). im worried about that to.
    regards

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are there any carbon 650b frames that mirror the Scott Scale 710? That bike got rave reviews, and before I give up on my excellent 650b wheelset for a 29er, I thought I'd ask...

mtbr member
    yes. the fr503. I had one and im friends with the local scott lbs and they were blown away with how close it is. we put mine up next to one in the shop and it was really close. the geo is closer to the nino limited edition

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I recently purchased a frame and fork through Hongfu bikes, model FM-196. Had an amazing customer service experience, including a totally custom paint job for about $125. They had the paint job color matched to photos I had sent them within a day and then drawn up on the computer by the next. Pretty amazing. Frame weighed almost exactly what they advertised, 955g. Build quality looks like any major brand, while the price was over half of what I would've spent for something similar, without the custom paint job. After a few rides on it, I couldn't be happier. Tracks amazing, solid descender, excellent uphill traction and zero flex. And I loooove the 27.5" wheel size, especially for a short guy like me. And for you weight weenies out there, the total build weighs 17.1 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Has anyone seen one of these frames, or would have any details? It looks little more trail worthy then the rest. I requested info from the seller, if they reply I can post it if anyone is interested

2014 Carbon Suspension Frame 650b Carbon Fiber Frame Suspension 27.5 - Buy Suspension Frame 650b,Suspension Frame 650b,Suspension Frame 650b Product on Alibaba.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    yes. the fr503. I had one and im friends with the local scott lbs and they were blown away with how close it is. we put mine up next to one in the shop and it was really close. the geo is closer to the nino limited edition
    mmm I wish it had the 69* HA that the 710 has. That probably makes it a bit more carvey in the turns, if that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey everyone,

First, let me say what a wealth of information this thread has been. It inspired me to purchase a HongFu FM-136 and boy, am I glad I did. I finished the build last night and couldn't be happier. She's got Crest wheels, XX1 drivetrain, Avid XO Trail brakes, full Thomson cockpit, and a SID XX fork. I have an 18" frame and even including pedals (Eggbeater 3), she comes in at a scant 19.9 lbs. I haven't been able to take her out on the trail yet, but will do so Sunday and will post back with my report. Below is a pic.

I specifically joined mtbr to post about my experience with this frame, the build process, concerns, obstacles, and to share my photos. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-imag0419.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-imag0418.jpg

mtbr member
    The last 2 builds posted looks great

mtbr member
    Can someone post up where the entry/exit points for the Hongfu FM136 internal cable routing are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Can someone post up where the entry/exit points for the Hongfu FM136 internal cable routing are.
    The rear derailleur cable entry is on the right side of the head tube and exits just shy of the rear derailleur on the top of the chainstay. It really should enter on the left side of the head tube as you get an odd bend in the line... but all shifts well and doesn't seem to be an issue. The rear disc brake entry is on the left side of the head tube and exits just shy of the rear brake on the top of the chainstay. Both of these lines run inside the downtube. The front derailleur line enters on the left of the headtube, runs inside the top tube, and exits on the left just shy of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. Guessing the FM-136 is the same frame xmiplay calls IP-136, offered at $400 + shipping...

Anyone know how many actual factories there are, and which models are the same? Guessing that the FR-models that flyxii has is not the same as FM/IP from HongFu and XMI?
    I was wondering this also. When I went to Ali Baba or Ali Express there were a number of vendors and it was not clear if they were just sellers or fabricators. For example, there are a number of outfits selling Giant XTC frames. Are they all copies or local vendors with Giant licenses?

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by cernymuz View Post
    Has anyone seen one of these frames, or would have any details? It looks little more trail worthy then the rest. I requested info from the seller, if they reply I can post it if anyone is interested

2014 Carbon Suspension Frame 650b Carbon Fiber Frame Suspension 27.5 - Buy Suspension Frame 650b,Suspension Frame 650b,Suspension Frame 650b Product on Alibaba.com
    Yes, they did get back to me on this exact frame. This was their response, ",The maximum shock length is 110mm,Rear shock mount numbers is 190*51mm." 70 degree head angle.

Disappointed for sure.
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbjasona83 View Post
    The rear derailleur cable entry is on the right side of the head tube and exits just shy of the rear derailleur on the top of the chainstay. It really should enter on the left side of the head tube as you get an odd bend in the line... but all shifts well and doesn't seem to be an issue. The rear disc brake entry is on the left side of the head tube and exits just shy of the rear brake on the top of the chainstay. Both of these lines run inside the downtube. The front derailleur line enters on the left of the headtube, runs inside the top tube, and exits on the left just shy of the seat tube.
    When they pass by the BB is the housing exposed at all or are they still contained within the sleeve they pass through inside the frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    When they pass by the BB is the housing exposed at all or are they still contained within the sleeve they pass through inside the frame?
    They're contained all the way to their exit points.

mtbr member
    Brake routing makes me happy none of that silly US 'right for rear' rubbish. Rear Mech's a bit silly tho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi all. I've just received my IP-136 from I play which I believe is the Same frame as fm-136 and I have an issue with the rear disc jamming against the post mounts when I tighten up the 12mm shaft. Can any one tell me if they had any problems in this area and if they have a solution? Many thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul66 View Post
    Hi all. I've just received my IP-136 from I play which I believe is the Same frame as fm-136 and I have an issue with the rear disc jamming against the post mounts when I tighten up the 12mm shaft. Can any one tell me if they had any problems in this area and if they have a solution? Many thanks in advance
    Your's came with thru axle? Mine (the FM-136) had standard 135mm drop outs in rear. No issues with the brake rotor contacting the post mounts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yes i got it with 12/142 drop outs and the axle was supplied by I play aswel.

MattSavage
    What make of rotor is it and is it installed properly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What make of rotor is it and is it installed properly?
    hi I'm using a shimano xt 160mm disc with a hope pro 2 wheel and i have checked it's fitted properly. I am going to try a hope rotor tonight and see if that clears the posts. Failing that I'm thinking of making a spacer or using a 12mm star washer in the non drive side dropout to get the clearance when the wheel is tightened up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this
    27.5" MTB Frame Full carbon mountain bike 27.5ER (650B) BB30 Frame 17", 19", 21"-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

I am trying to chat with the seller but the time difference doesn't help so I'll email him to check the finish options and the headset/BB configuration.

I'd also like to get a confirmed weight; I guess the M will be around 1200g.

Slightly heavier than the other options (scott, Axevo, Haibike etc) but at a fraction of the price.
    Is the $350/set frameset is good?... including the fork? When I told to Iplay Bert, the price is $400. maybe different frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi, is it $400+ shiping? I am talking with Iplay Bert now

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi, is it $400+ shiping? I am talking with Iplay Bert now

MattSavage
    hi I'm using a shimano xt 160mm disc with a hope pro 2 wheel and i have checked it's fitted properly. I am going to try a hope rotor tonight and see if that clears the posts. Failing that I'm thinking of making a spacer or using a 12mm star washer in the non drive side dropout to get the clearance when the wheel is tightened up.
    Sounds like a frame warranty issue... Somethings not aligned properly...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    I was wondering this also. When I went to Ali Baba or Ali Express there were a number of vendors and it was not clear if they were just sellers or fabricators. For example, there are a number of outfits selling Giant XTC frames. Are they all copies or local vendors with Giant licenses?
    I can say, most of them are actually sellers. Because people in the factory, they have been so busy dealing with the production and developing, so they don't realize to put resources to have their own sales and marketing.

But that is not for sure. Because these two years, the factory owners are realizing the importance of having their own sales company.

I think, in the end, the most importance is that you can have the best product with the best price and customer service....
    Q2 Cycling

Carbon Bicycle Parts Factory
    Manufacturer to Consumer
    inquiry@q2cycling.com
    Let us have more oxygen here

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi.

Im thinking about one of these frames High Performance 27.5er 650b Carbon Bike Frame Full Suspension - Buy 650b Carbon Bike Frame,650b Carbon Bike Frame,650b Carbon Bike Frame Product on Alibaba.com

Since Im kind of a newbie I wonder if someone has more information about it.

What fork travel would you think is appropiate? Its intended for trail/light am.

How much travel in the rear?

Thinking about a rs monarch rear shock, but what tune would fit this frame? Mid/mid?

I have tried and asked these questions to various resellers of this particular frame without much luck, dunno if part of it is the language barrier.

Alot of noobish questions I know, but if someone here has some experience with this frame or can help with any of the questions it would be much appreciated.

//CUSMS

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CanYouSeeMySaddle View Post
    Hi.

Im thinking about one of these frames High Performance 27.5er 650b Carbon Bike Frame Full Suspension - Buy 650b Carbon Bike Frame,650b Carbon Bike Frame,650b Carbon Bike Frame Product on Alibaba.com

What fork travel would you think is appropiate? Its intended for trail/light am.

How much rear travel in the rear?

Thinking about a rs monarch rear shock, but what tune would fit this frame? Mid/mid?

I have of course tried and asked these questions to various resellers of this particular frame without much luck, dunno if part of it is the language barrier.

Alot of noobish questions I know, but if someone here has some experience with this frame or can help with any of the questions it would be much appreciated.

//CUSMS
    Yeah I checked out the same frame and asked the same questions to them. I got responses ranging from 50mm to 115mm rear travel. They don't seem too sure but the 200mm eye to eye shock mounts would suggest a little more travel than they claim. Also worth noting is the 70 degree head angle. Nice looking frame though...too bad.
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

Live Free & Ride
    Sorry my bad, it's got a 66.5 degree head angle...which should suggest AM with more travel out back?
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Sorry my bad, it's got a 66.5 degree head angle...which should suggest AM with more travel out back?
    Thanks for replying. Yea seems probable. My trigger finger is itching to press buy. Seasons coming up fast, already superb conditions here.
    Last edited by CanYouSeeMySaddle; 04-05-2014 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member

IP 156 Full Suspension 650b build

I ordered up my second Chinese carbon frame, this time from XMIPlay. I previously bought and built up an FM 136 from Hong-Fu bikes and have been very happy with that bike. I decided to try a full suspension 650b to replace my old Ellsworth Truth. I would've considered a new 650b Truth, but their pricing is just stupid. So, for $700 I bought the 120mm travel full suspension IP 156.

The build:
    IP 156 frame
    Fox rear shock
    Fox 120mm Float fork
    Rotor cranks and elliptical ring (1x10)
    Shimano XTR Shadow + derailleur and shifter
    Speeddream wheels with Chris King hubs and Stans Crest rims
    Formula R1 brakes
    22.5lbs

I've now ridden the bike several times on various technical singletrack for about 50 miles and can say that this bike is a great upgrade from the old Truth. I was a bit concerned with the increased wheelbase, but really can't feel it on the trail. The suspension is very plush, yet the bike carves nicely and even climbs better than I expected. Not as good at climbing as my hardtail, but better than the old Truth. I do like the rollover of the 650b front and rear. I've been riding 650b for a few years now, but only in asymmetric setups (B6 and 9erB). So this is my first square 650b setup.

The quality of the frame is top notch. No issues at all with the build up or after riding. The drive side chain stay is close to the chain, so you do get some chain slap, even with a Shadow+ derailleur. I would also recommend upgrading the headset as the one they spec is a bit cheap. You can buy the FSA equivalent for about $45. I ordered the frame from Peter XMIPlay and he was great at correspondence and follow up after the sale.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-ip-156-fs-650b-2b.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-ip-156-fs-650b-b.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow. That seems so unreal.
    Is 27.5er carbon MTB frame that you guys bought from XMIPLAY and other companies the price really $400 + free shipping?

And how about the quality for some of you who have already bought?
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    inquiry@q2cycling.com

mtbr member

Q2 Cycling 27.5er MTB frames

Q2 Cycling also has 650B carbon 27.5er MTB frames.
    1. B128
    You can also see our testing result there.

2. B142

3. We have a complete set of testing system to make sure all the frame quality.
    Click here to see the manufacturing and testing...

4. Full Suspension 27.5er MTB frame B156
    Currently we haven't developed our own mold for this.
    So we buy this frame from other factory.

5. Your professional opinions are very welcomed...Please let me know if we have the incorrect way of portraying the frames... Also let me know if you need to see some other information about the frames...
    Q2 Cycling

Manufacturer to Consumer
    inquiry@q2cycling.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That frame is extremely interesting

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouSeeMySaddle View Post
    Hi.

How much travel in the rear?

I have tried and asked these questions to various resellers of this particular frame without much luck, dunno if part of it is the language barrier.

//CUSMS

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That is awesome looking!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikebend View Post
    I recently purchased a frame and fork through Hongfu bikes, model FM-196. Had an amazing customer service experience, including a totally custom paint job for about $125. They had the paint job color matched to photos I had sent them within a day and then drawn up on the computer by the next. Pretty amazing. Frame weighed almost exactly what they advertised, 955g. Build quality looks like any major brand, while the price was over half of what I would've spent for something similar, without the custom paint job. After a few rides on it, I couldn't be happier. Tracks amazing, solid descender, excellent uphill traction and zero flex. And I loooove the 27.5" wheel size, especially for a short guy like me. And for you weight weenies out there, the total build weighs 17.1 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have one on order at the moment, should be riding it by the end of April so I will let you all know about travel etc. I am hoping to use a 57mm stroke shock instead of the suggested 50mm for a little more travel. (135mm)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

fr503 build

wow! Really impressed by the last couple builds posted especially the fs.
    Here's mine, just finished, built to be sort of budget. Hopefully will get better pictures once the weather gets better and I have more time to ride.

FR503 19"
    BB7s from ebay
    Stan's Arch EX w/Schwalbe tires setup tubeless very easy, don't know what some people online were going crazy about it being hard.
    SLX crank w/Look quartz pedals
    Zee rear mech setup 32x11-36 w/saint shifter, XT cassette & XT chain
    Rockshox Revelation
    Nashbar/ebay cockpit stuff
    Used their supplied headset for the top and got a cane creek for the bottom.

Weight is 23-24 lbs measured on a bathroom scale.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    those sites are confusing, they speak of "shock travel" but not wheel travel, we obviously need both to be useful. I only see 120mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling View Post
    I have one on order at the moment, should be riding it by the end of April so I will let you all know about travel etc. I am hoping to use a 57mm stroke shock instead of the suggested 50mm for a little more travel. (135mm)
    Great :-) Looking forward to your input. Oh interesting idea with a 200x57 mm shock. If that gives a total travel of 135 mm. Would that give the frames leverage ration somewhere around 2.5-2.7 and therefore suitable with a mid/mid tune rear rock shox shock? Or have I completely misunderstood, the tuning diagrams etc are really confusing to me :-S

mtbr member
    Nice flickr account for HongFu. Some testing videos and CFD simulations. Seems like a pretty legit operation, IMO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hongfu_bikes/
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Please do post up with travel if you could. Looking to grab a 120mm travel 27.5 but travel numbers seem scarce.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by q2cyling View Post
    Wow. That seems so unreal.
    Is 27.5er carbon MTB frame that you guys bought from XMIPLAY and other companies the price really $400 + free shipping?

And how about the quality for some of you who have already bought?
    it is $400+shipping cost from XMIPLAY, free shiping is unavailable. I am chatting with Bert now, but seems the price is a little expensive for me...saving more money to buy it.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Nice flickr account for HongFu. Some testing videos and CFD simulations. Seems like a pretty legit operation, IMO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hongfu_bikes/

I've been buying from Hongfu for years, they're very legit. Great products, great service. Ordering up my 6th frame from them now, this morning!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    please do let us know, I am very interested in that one

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

LTK088 Build

OK, I have the bike! Its a size 20" ...heres the deal.

I should point out from the start that I am running this with 26" wheels, at least for the time being, and a longer fork (545 - 515mm) The intended geo from the chart shows a 515mm, but i figure I get a little extra leeway because of running a smaller wheel .. (12mm or something?)

I am also running one offset bushing to make the shock I2I 202mm to heighten the bike and compensate for the 26 wheels. (it wont take 2 offsets though, not enough clearance)

Anyway, It has taken a 57mm stroke shock with no problems so i can only assume that i have 135mmm of travel. The claimed travel with a 50mm is 118.9, so. (118.9 / 50 * 57 = 135.5mm)

With my fork fully wound out my head angle is 65.5 and the BB is at 328mm which is pretty low, I am thankful for 12mm pedals!
    Also the geo listed on the chart has a seat angle of 71, this is actually the angle of the very top part of to the tube. In terms of the effective angle I believe its somewhere around 74. I can check if someone really needs to know.

I have managed to run a 180mm rotor on the rear, clearance is very tight though (1mm) ... phew, with other calipers might not work. I have k24s

Issues.

I couldnt run my seat as low as required because it was contacting some rivets for a cable guide on the seat tube. I had to drill them out.

With running a double I cant set the front mech as close to the outer ring (36t) as intended (lower) because it would contact the linkage, it seems close enough though, I hope it doesn't mean more chain drops (see pics) ... i think it would be fine with a 38t though

When in the granny ring (22t) if I go higher than gear 4 on the rear then the chain starts to contact the chainstay! (see pic) this is not caused but the chain device altering the alignment, i have checked. if you were to run a chainstay mounted device like a bionicon then it would rub all of the time. Running a 24t instead of a 22t would help

The shock mounting bolts are made of some kind of silver cheese.

Buying from Feel Bicycle was a bit of an ordeal. I kept getting dispatch dates, only to then be told (after the dispatch date had passed) that there would be a delay, it was tormenting. from ordering to shipping it was 6 weeks exactly, not including ship-time. to keep me happy they threw in a seatpost, but it was just that... a post, no bolts or the seatclamp pieces .. (great!)

With all that out of the way, the finish of the frame is overall very good / excellent I have taken it for a small test ride today and I am very impressed. I have been riding a hardtail for the last two years though!

The frame is definitely very stiff etc, pedals well, blah blah.
    the long chainstays and slack head angle make it a sled on the downhills .... I like

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02096.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02097.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02099.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02106.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02107.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02101.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02108.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02095-large-.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc02098-large-.jpg

Hope this is useful for you folks
    Weedling

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks, this is great! Nice bike too.

how do you think the wheel clearance of 57mm stroke shock would be without the offset bushing and with 27.5" wheels?

Thanks in advance, I really might get the frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks,

At full compression the rear wheel is still really far from the seat tube, so far that i didnt even bother to measure. It will be fine with 650b and a chunky tyre.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 127