Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the frame alone or built up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Yes please, your tire clearance to the stays, thanks.
    Also, do you have any means to measure the HTA...like those dial thingies for construction?

Attachment 990233
    Head angle is 68

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes if you have detailed pics that would be awesome!!! Also do you have frame weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finalgear View Post
    Head angle is 68

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    frame weight is 6.03 with paint on it

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Finalgear:Is Miricle making these now? I have had a 19" FM336 on order through HongFu for six months. The latest is that there is a problem being worked on with no known date for frames being finished. Several "promised" delivery dates have of course come and gone. I can't decide if I keep waiting for HF or bail for now on the 336.
    Can't wait to see more pics and read your ride info after the weekend.

btw, your build is looking good, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well like i said before i can get my hands on the frames if you want me to get you one,
    now mind you i kind of went overboard on my build so please be gentle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6648.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6649.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6650.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6651.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6653.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6654.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6655.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6656.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6659.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6662.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6663.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6664.jpg  

bike rider
    Whew! That's tight tire clearence. Even with carbon rims its gonna rub in every corner, enough to probably do more than just scuff the paint.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the pics! looking forward to your review.
    well like i said before i can get my hands on the frames if you want me to get you one,
    now mind you i kind of went overboard on my build so please be gentle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The tire clearance is disappointing

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    The tire clearance is disappointing
    well im running a 2.4 tire on a 40mm wide rim so that will happen, i dout many people will be doing that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well it's not enough clearance...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    eehhh lets see what will happen when i test it out and its nothing a 2.3 tire change cant fix.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Whew! That's tight tire clearence. Even with carbon rims its gonna rub in every corner, enough to probably do more than just scuff the paint.
    Perhaps a slightly narrower rim...like a LB 38 w/ 31.6 internal width?

banned
    Oct 2004
    eehhh lets see what will happen when i test it out and its nothing a 2.3 tire change cant fix.
    Do that before you test and save your paint/carbon. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    All I can say is this thing can hold it's own, verry impressed, and loving it.
    Will have pics and a short little video soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How is the pedal efficiency ?
    All I can say is this thing can hold it's own, verry impressed, and loving it.
    Will have pics and a short little video soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Climbs like a goat and pedals like a champ, I let one of my guys ride it yesterday and this is all he wanted to ride all day over his intense m9 and his Scott genius.

A waste of time it is is
    Finalgear, how do you think it would perform with an RP23 in it? I ask as I have one spare I could use and not having to buy a shock would make it a very budget conscious shock.

Also do you have geo charts for the Miracle version of this frame and can you measure the internal dimensions of both chainstay and seatstays about where the tire would sit, I know you are running fat rubber on wide rims but that photo of the clearance does worry me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice build! Have you measured the "true" width of the tire as mounted on the derby wheel? That would give a better perspective on what will fit as opposed to published sizes which are sometimes misleading. Once again, nicely done! Appreciate your input.
    Hard work MUST have killed someone

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What size ring are you running on the front and is that a 44T on the rear?
    Climbs like a goat and pedals like a champ, I let one of my guys ride it yesterday and this is all he wanted to ride all day over his intense m9 and his Scott genius.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Testing was amazing more pics and vids soon.China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6687.jpg

A waste of time it is is
    That's what you said yesterday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yea i just got back home from a 5 hour drive after riding this beast, I'm beat and all the questions, pm's pics and videos will be done tomorrow 😉

A waste of time it is is
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Finalgear again.

mtbr member
    curious to see how this frame rides as well. I already got my bike but I was watching this frame but there wasnt enough information around when i was buying.
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    frame rides amazing once you have good suspension on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    As promised some pics of a double being cleared and a video of the bike in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNJiUrK7ok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6725.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6726.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6727.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6728.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks finalgear! Is it possible for you to post a quick video of you peddeling it on pavement? Just to get an idea of bob. Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bob will depend on if your running a air shock or a coil shock if it will have propedal or not. From the shock that I have Bob is almost not there dial in low speed compression.

banned
    Oct 2004
    As promised some pics of a double being cleared and a video of the bike in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNJiUrK7ok
    Finalgear,
    Just checked out your vid. How did that 68* HTA feel when you got the bike up to speed? Think you'd drop in a Works w/ some -HTA, or is it fine as is? And, I can't recall, but did you post your BB height...mainly curious about BB drop w/ respect the wheel's axle center. Lastly, did the tire take any paint off the inside of your stays...gives me a clue on rear end flex.
    Also (OT), who's your bud w/ that DVO Jedi? Is that thing a '14 or '15?

Congrats again on your new whip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i would leave it the way it is, felt great once up to speed no paint came off the stays lust slight smudges nothing major, didnt check the bb height and that jedi is a 14 still has 26" wheels and my other friend has the 15 jedi rides nice but i still prefer my intense 951

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Does anybody know by chance what's the alleged problem with the frame that Hongfu claims to have?
    Thanks for your posts Finalgear.

A waste of time it is is
    Probably the same alleged problem they had when they delayed the hardtail 650b's which was probably the same problem they had when they delayed the 29ers.

See the pattern?

mtbr member
    Highland, correct? Did you ride Thresh or the race course with that rig?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes its Highland I rode a couple of trails with it NE style (A line) eastern hemlock odb cats paw fancy feast maiden voyage, easy rider power hour happy hour and helion.

mtbr member
    Wow, Finalgear. You have a very nice set up there. How much are your frames shipped to the US, and how long does it take to get once ordered?

Are there any external cable routing options?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hooligan
    Yes its Highland I rode a couple of trails with it NE style (A line) eastern hemlock odb cats paw fancy feast maiden voyage, easy rider power hour happy hour and helion.
    There's no way that you took that off the A line (NE style drop)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Y is there no way that I went off the drop on NE style with it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skyungjae View Post
    Wow, Finalgear. You have a very nice set up there. How much are your frames shipped to the US, and how long does it take to get once ordered?

Are there any external cable routing options?
    you got mail.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Back to frame deliverance. It seems that there is somekind of problem with the rear triangle and for that it has to be gluing more time then expected. Don't know what it might be but that's what they've told me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the info Pauloplus, good to hear that they might actually be working on solving something and not only being lazy.
    But to be honest, from my experience of the promised delivery, totally missing that and the lack of communication I have to advice against ordering the Hong Fu HF-FM336 until they can actually prove that they are able to deliver the frames for real.
    I'm sad to say that they are really not living up to any of my expectations right now and I'm really thinking about cancelling my order, even if it means that i'll loose the deposit. Maybe that's their business model...
    I'm still going to give them a second chance to prove that they can deliver and If they do and everything is up to expectations i'll definitely post an update but right now it seems like the whole summer racing season will be lost because of their inability to deliver.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    For me it's the third frame that I bought from HF and I have absolutely no complaints at all with the first two. Both are competing for about two years with in XCO events in pros hands and both still are making podiums. For that matter I've bought this frame with the confidence that it will be in line with the others. Certainly did not expected for this delay. As you said, I hope that my summer season isn't ruined.

Hooligan
    Y is there no way that I went off the drop on NE style with it?
    Because in the video you're taking the B-lines all the way down cats paw.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    And that was the first run with the bike, would you taken a Chinese carbon frame of Ne-style on the first run of the day?

Hooligan
    And that was the first run with the bike, would you taken a Chinese carbon frame of Ne-style on the first run of the day?
    Nope, I wouldn't take a chinese carbon frame off an 18 foot drop. And that's my point, I don't think that you did either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    OK if that's what you think and helps you sleep at night then cool.

Hooligan
    OK if that's what you think and helps you sleep at night then cool.
    if you can post a video of that bike going off the drop, i'm ordering one right now.

Hooligan
    Oh no! a red chicklet? i'm crushed.
    dfiler, i'm not calling anybody a liar. I'm asking for evidence that the bike underwent and stood up to that kind of impact because that's the kind of information that's going to sway my decision.
    I was at highland the same day that Finalgear was, and have seen the bike in person. i like it a lot, but i'm still speculative about a few things. mainly stress testing and warranty policy. (how far can it be pushed before it breaks, and when it does, how quick is the company to issue a new frame)
    these companies are notorious for releasing products without putting in the R&D up front, i want to see how they hold up to real world abuse.

Hooligan
    the drop in question in case anybody's unfamiliar with highland:

China Carbon AM Duallies-drop.jpg

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    the drop in question in case anybody unfamiliar with highland:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	993516
    Woo, that huck looks fun! Not sure if I'd hit it on a single crown fork bike tho.

Hooligan
    Woo, that huck looks fun! Not sure if I'd hit it on a single crown fork bike tho.
    my thoughts exactly.
    Not sure if I'd hit it on a (likely untested) single crown carbon prototype from china.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    my thoughts exactly.
    Not sure if I'd hit it on a (likely untested) single crown carbon prototype from china.
    Where the bike's from isn't my point. My 2015 Jedi was welded in Taiwan after all. I'm just not seeing a single crown fork'd bike shrugging off too many of those before something bends or snaps, especially in today's long legged single crown forks and UNBELIEVABLY short head tubes.

Trail Ninja
    China isn't Taiwan. The problem with China is the notorious lack of regulation, counterfeiting, and the competition to make things cheaper to attract buyers and enjoy more profits. A brand like Canfield adds a layer of regulation, as their brand's rep is on the line when they put their name on the products. Who would be proud a bike with no name on it? It is merely an experiment, in my eyes, with investors putting trust in what they can sense from it. The guys are earning their returns in the form of fun, if they have bought this bike.

With what little I know about carbon, design, and manufacturing, I know that it takes a lot of thoughtful consideration to make a successful affordable product that rivals the competition. In contrast, it's pretty easy to make a product that beats it if you have a super high development budget. I'd like to know more about who designed and made this bike, to get an idea if they have what it takes to make a good frame that a rider can go all out on, using 100% pre-preg T700... seeing how numerous brand names are putting their name on it, I would consider this frame, but I'm between a 15.5 and 17.5, and hate having to choose one or the other in such a case, so...

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    China isn't Taiwan. The problem with China is the notorious lack of regulation, counterfeiting, and the competition to make things cheaper to attract buyers and enjoy more profits. A brand like Canfield adds a layer of regulation, as their brand's rep is on the line when they put their name on the products. Who would be proud a bike with no name on it?
    I would agree, except the likes of Derby, LaMer (?) who are bringing in products...

Anyway, we can beat this to death while others like Finalgear rides happily on their Chinese full squishies. I'll tell ya, if whoever is building these Mach 6~ish frames have it in their mind to make a solid presence, they should have a 3rd party test a few of their frames.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If we mount a boxxer at the front and something that equals it at the rear we could probably make that drop a several times on this frame the thing is that if I want to ride somewhere at the sea I would buy a boat not a car. The same here! This frame isn't build with downhill in mind and therefore the comparison is totally out of place.

mtbr member
    I would agree, except the likes of Derby, LaMer (?) who are bringing in products...
    I think these guys are selling at their own risk. If a frame or wheel was to fail catastrophically and a rider gets hurt...they are going to get sued.

AFAIK...the China frames have no certification of any kind on their frames. If the you get hurt because of the frame failed...then you are on your own.

From what I understand (someone correct me if I misunderstood)...companies pay a third party to get their products tested and issued a certificate of some kind saying that it passed their tests. Then that company is in a "manufacturer's book" of legit companies.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    From what I understand (someone correct me if I misunderstood)...companies pay a third party to get their products tested and issued a certificate of some kind saying that it passed their tests. Then that company is in a "manufacturer's book" of legit companies.
    I think you're thinking UL or FM? Nah. I know at least Santa Cruz tests their own. I think all the big brands also do their own testing...because of the chance that a law suit will crash the company's brand name. Most of these brands use a pretty high safety factor because of this. Think about small boutique builders...Strong Custom Racing, Kent Eriksen...etc...I'm pretty sure they're not sending out samples to be tested.
    My comment about Hong-fu getting their frame 3rd party tested...it's to debunk the US market's stigma that China products are 2nd rate/inferior. In some arena and industry, this is true. But just as Taiwan's mfg process has now passed the muster for just about everyone in the western world for mass produced bike products, China won't be too far behind. I mean how many satisfied customers are there on that "Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims" thread in the 29er forum? That thread is so large it doesn't even load for me half the time...or is the reason because my sticks of ram are from China? J/K

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauloplus View Post
    If we mount a boxxer at the front and something that equals it at the rear we could probably make that drop a several times on this frame the thing is that if I want to ride somewhere at the sea I would buy a boat not a car. The same here! This frame isn't build with downhill in mind and therefore the comparison is totally out of place.
    A long stiff fork like the boxxer is actually going to put more stress on the frame due to the longer lever arm, but I agree that this isn't a downhill frame and wasn't designed to be ridden like that. The only reason that I even brought it up was that Finalgear casually claimed to have taken it off the NE style drop. Surviving stress of that magnitude would speak volumes about it's structural integrity.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    There I completely agree with you. That would be a very good sign of the frame stiffness.

Trail Ninja
    I think you're thinking UL or FM? Nah. I know at least Santa Cruz tests their own. I think all the big brands also do their own testing...because of the chance that a law suit will crash the company's brand name. Most of these brands use a pretty high safety factor because of this. Think about small boutique builders...Strong Custom Racing, Kent Eriksen...etc...I'm pretty sure they're not sending out samples to be tested.
    My comment about Hong-fu getting their frame 3rd party tested...it's to debunk the US market's stigma that China products are 2nd rate/inferior. In some arena and industry, this is true. But just as Taiwan's mfg process has now passed the muster for just about everyone in the western world for mass produced bike products, China won't be too far behind. I mean how many satisfied customers are there on that "Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims" thread in the 29er forum? That thread is so large it doesn't even load for me half the time...or is the reason because my sticks of ram are from China? J/K
    That carbon rim thread is full of hit and miss reports, actually. The Nextie and LB specific threads too. Cracks and bulges at spoke holes, bubbles in the layup that you can press down on and feel that it's hollow, drilling errors, other kinds of failure and inconvenient warranty process for problems that could have been caught before they ever shipped out. Quality control severely lacking. I get the idea that LB and Nextie source their rims from multiple carbon factories, sending them their design and just stacking them all together in the warehouse ready to lace up or ship out.

Derby publishes their test results like LB does, and you can clearly see that their rims take about 30% more force to break. LB doesn't publish it for each of their rims. I think they just took a generic test report from one of their sources and just posted it up, since Nextie and other Chinese carbon rim brands post the same exact pics. You're getting a longer warranty and a crash replacement deal, performance that's not much of a mystery, an unique and exclusive design, with better QC with the extra money you spend on Derby. Your money supports Derby, an open and honest fellow mtb looking out for his mtb bros, who's admits he's not making so much profit that he can live off of his business alone. Can give most the credit to him for sparking all the interest in affordable wide hookless tubeless carbon rims.

Hong-Fu AM frame ride reports only prove Hong-Fu AM frame's worthiness. Can't just be generalizing that all carbon fiber products or all Santa Cruz carbon is tough/strong due to a pinkbike SC factory visit where they slam a nomadc against a concrete block. That video only proves how tough that nomadc's downtube is, not how strong your carbon handlebar, rim, or Motobecane carbon road frame is. Can't be making generalizations for chinese carbon not being 2nd rate either, due to a few products proving to be competitive for casual consumer use. It has to be proven on an individual basis, but having a reputable brand name on the side that ensures it lives up to the standards/values can offer some consistency. LB and Nextie's rep is shot, being hit or miss, and not trustworthy. If people weren't so ignorant and/or foolish, they could be searching other brands, maybe ICAN next, hoping for a better track record, if they insist on finding cheap reliable carbon parts that's cheaper than established name brand versions.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intellikat View Post
    Reposting from other related threads--

I wanted to reach out an make contact with any riders who might find information and reviews on Chinese (or broadly Asian) manufactured components/frames useful.

I'm working in Guangzhou, China (close to Shenzhen) on contract for a few years and in my early days here have been riding local trails, meeting local riders, and finding the LBSes over the past 6 months. A good Chinese friend of mine is a sponsored racer for a Chinese company (Quick) and also works in marketing for WTB.

He and I have this vision to get info out to our western brothers and sisters using our connections ("guanxi") in the industry here as well as our proximity to a number of the manufacturers. It would be website dedicated to unbiased short- and longterm reviews of products as well as info and images on manufacturers/companies. I know that a number of others have attempted this in abortive blog fashion or in forums, but I don't know of any centralized site/hub online with easy content searching and dialogue for these kind of reviews. We have some really great access to information here and would like to utilize it.

Is a website dedicated to reviews and info on Asian manufactured products (carbon frames, rims, some other components) something anyone would be interested in using if we set it up? We'd be happy to compile requests of manufacturers and products to chase up and provide tech info and reviews.

I've been interested in testing some of the 650bs and FS frames I've seen pop up here...
    Sounds great.
    I have 2) road frames (one mine, one for the wife); and 1) HT off-road frame.

Very interested in FS off-road frame 650b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As a Friday update on my end I got a promise from HF that if my frame wasn't ready within a week from now, I would get a refund of my down payment. Not ideal, but at least it could enable me to move on without losing too much money.
    Fingers crossed for HF delivering. Otherwise I will spend the same money on a used Banshee Rune.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Keep us posted on what happens. Hoping things are sorted with these frames. Were supposed to be available last fall.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wouldn't hit it on single crown either. But people do. Hell, even on hardtails with 100mm forks. The impact isn't bad... as long you don't come up short.
    Video: Rolling Out The Big Guns with Wallace and Boggs - Pinkbike

The frame doesn't concern me. I'm more concerned about myself screwing up than the frame catastrophically failing.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Any news LasseB?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Pauloplus: actually got a reply from them today saying they would ship the frame on Tuesday (not really within a week but wth). Fingers crossed that this proves to be true and that the frame arrives unharmed.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseB View Post
    Pauloplus: actually got a reply from them today saying they would ship the frame on Tuesday (not really within a week but wth). Fingers crossed that this proves to be true and that the frame arrives unharmed.
    Photos when you get it, or it didn't happen...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Tracking number received...
    This is getting interesting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great. Keep us posted

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hopefully I'll get mine too. Since when are you waiting for it LasseB?
    Just for curiosity, what's going to be your choice for the suspension? I've got RS revelation/Monarch XX combo because of the remotes ability since I'll use it as a do-it-all rig with a lot of climbing included. What is the opinion of the forum members on that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @Pauloplus:
    Placed the order Jan 15. I think that the threat of a refund is what got them moving. I'm not sure that their claim of faulty rear triangles is true or not but I hope they didn't send me an older, faulty construction. Still they offer 2 year warranty (under normal use...).
    For front suspension I have picked a Manitou Mattoc pro but the rear one is undecided. Might try the option of running a 190x50 with +6mm offset bushings. This because I have a number of 190 shocks already and it would slacken and lower the frame a bit which I might do anyway.
    If I'm getting a new shock I would go for something without a platform and with tuneable compression. This is not that easy to find nowadays unless you want to pay saffron money. But I'm actually eying the Suntour Durolux RC since it has simple 16/8 clicks of rebound and compression. As for quality I'm more than happy with how their Durolux and Epixon fork range performs so that is not an issue.
    I know that everybody raves for the Monarchs and I do love the tune-ability of the IFP pressure on them but the lack of real compression adjustment just doesn't make sense to me.
    Maybe I'll try an RP23 Boost valve with the 3 click compression and modify it with a secondary IFP valve (which I've done previously, it REALLY opens up the HSC) which would give me tons of adjustability.
    That's the long answer...
    Frame has left the Shenzhen treatment center for Stockholm.
    Will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nancy emailed me today saying that the frame it's packed and ready to go. Hope that everything's ok.
    Thanks for your input LasseB, I think you can't go wrong with the Suntour fork. My choice was based on 2 things: my preferred style is definitely some sort of allmountain/light enduro but has it is my only do it all bike and every now and then I participate at marathons events thus the rev/monarch combo. The other was the low price that they cost me. The thing is how will they handle in harder terrains?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @Pauloplus
    Seems like delivery is on a roll. Package is through Swedish customs and it might be delivered within 1 week of shipment.
    For the rear shock I pulled the trigger on a 2012 RP23 Adaptive Logic Boost valve. And simultaneously i ordered a Ford 2.3 fuel rail shraeder valve to mod it to a air pressure tuneable IFP. It will be immensely interesting to see how the linkage will handle the shock. I ordered a medium tune for rebound/compression and a normal (sx) air sleeve to give me the best range of tuneability.
    The revelation/monarch seems like a safe bet for an all rounder and you don't want to spend hours hack-sawing your shox and reorganizing shimstacks.
    Will keep you posted.

A waste of time it is is
    LasseB can you please take photos of the shock mod process and post up. I know this isn't a suspension forum but I think that would be quite interesting to see how ans exactly what you are doing. You may need to post it in the suspension forum and then link that post back here, not sure how pedantic the mods will be.

Thanks

Really looking forward to hearing reports on the quality of this frame from a 3rd party that doesn't have an interest in onselling them.

banned
    Oct 2004
    For the rear shock I pulled the trigger on a 2012 RP23 Adaptive Logic Boost valve. And simultaneously i ordered a Ford 2.3 fuel rail shraeder valve to mod it to a air pressure tuneable IFP.
    China Carbon AM Duallies-p4pb7562247.jpg

So the IFP sits at about where that travel indicator is, and the only way into that region of the shock is thru a nylon plug via a needle (by the rear shock eyelet). How will that Shraeder adapter help? Does the needle use Shraeder end?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    LasseB please post photos once you get the frame. Very close to pulling the trigger on one of these and very curious to see some good quality images.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, picking up package today!
    Any special wishes för photos? Measurements and detail requests please. Will not have parts to build up right away but will be able to mock some thing up.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Ok, picking up package today!
    Any special wishes för photos? Measurements and detail requests please. Will not have parts to build up right away but will be able to mock some thing up.
    Please just shoot areas where you feel would show build quality of the frame. A suggestion may be things like the link to frame tolerance? TIA

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would love to see a side on shot to show how the 19" size looks as that is likely what I will order. Any detail shots on how the frame is finished would be great too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, picked it up but didn't have too much time today to fiddle with it. One thing though, I was very pleasantly surprised!
    Build quality seems very nice and even, carbon is smooth and sturdy. I think that I'll have to clear coat it though, seems like the finish will rub easily and I'm going to have to cover it with bike cover anyway. .

2 details surprised me very positively. There were actually integrated, removable protectors for the chainstay and the downtube. The chainstay was snap on and the downtube is fastened by 2 bottle cage bolts. This makes the build feel like a quality frame. Thanks Hong Fu, I'm not sure why this is left out of the description (is there one really?).

Weight is a bit high, got it to 2788gr but that was with the shock dummy, rear axle dummy and all internal cable guides as well as the mentioned 2 protectors. Will try to get at more exact measurement tomorrow.

As for the frame clearance it is quite generous until the wheel hits the seat tube but the problem is rather with the lower link hitting it instead. If anyone would like to try some offset bushings I think that 3mm offset is going to be the max. This is not scientifically measured yet, with the lack of a fitting shock, I drilled some holes in a piece of plywood and tried it at 200mm with 50mm stroke and 60mm stroke. 60 was not possible, maybe max 55mm, so I think that a 200x57mm shock is a risky idea.

Here are some pictures that I was able to snap.
    The side shots are at 200mm full extended and 50mm stroke.
    China Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_222343.jpgChina Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_222429.jpg
    China Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_221839.jpgChina Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_221850.jpgChina Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_221911.jpgChina Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_221932.jpgChina Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_221949.jpgChina Carbon AM Duallies-20150629_222101.jpg

I am very happy with the frame this far, I must confess that it felt like a long shot a couple of months ago.
    I can't wait to get all the parts to start building.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks great! I wish it was available back when I was buying a new frame.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Congrats LasseB, hope soon I'll get mine too. What fo you think of those bushings, can you feel any play? The rear axle is it a E-thru type? Enjoy your new toy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks LasseB! Pleasant surprise on the frame protection. Keep us updated on quality, tolerances etc. as you build it up.

And the weight really isn't bad for a Large 150mm frame!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ha, awesome to see that they're finally rolling out!! I'm certainly seriously considering one as an upgrade/side-shift path at the moment.

I'd be super interested to hear how the bike actually rides, and how close a 200x57 shock would go, given I've got a CCDB Inline in that measurement on my current bike, which would make the changeover simple (and cheaper!).

Time to get on the emails I think with Hong-Fu!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So, got some more measurements from mocking the build up. Still missing some critical parts like shock and axles and stuff but I hacked some stuff for replacements.
    Yes, it looks like crap right now, I know.
    Head angle is spot on 67,9° with a 160mm mattoc.
    BB height is a bit high though. Would say that it is almost 15mm above the axle, which is a bit troublesome. I'm probably gonna run a -1,5° angleset so it will come down a bit for me.
    China Carbon AM Duallies-angles.jpg

I tested what the clearance at 143mm (57mm stroke) looked like and it I must say that it looks very, very tight, the lower link is more or less resting on the back of the seat tube. Maybe there is a fraction of clearance but it is hard to say without a real 57mm shock.

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150630_172921.jpg

the rear axle is indeed a E-Thru axle but I'm also uncertain if it is a 142mm or a 135. The hub I've got is 135 and it fits quite well but I think it was speced as a 12x142 frame. I really don't want to stretch the chainstays putting unnecessary stress there.

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150630_173007.jpg

Reached out to HF but got a very uncertain reply...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the updates they are appreciated.

I don't think there is anything too off with the BB height given the fork you're running... Looking at the geometry chart for the size 19 the centre of BB is 5mm below the axles and your fork's axle to crown(555) is 15mm taller than the frame's design (540). What angleset are you going to run? I wasn't aware that they are available for integrated headsets.

Very concerning regarding the rear dropouts... are you sure? Do you have a set of calipers or ruler to measure the width of the recess that the 142 hub slides into?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok checked again. It measures 139.4 between the recesses. That and the fact That my rear axle was untightened was probably the culprit. TA142 it is then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I also asked them earlier on, it is endeed 142mm. But i actually thought they shipped the frame with the rear axle ?
    I see you got it from the swedish post service, in which contry are you located. Im asking as im living in Denmark and wanted to know What to expect about the shipping time, and what about taxes ?
    Also, how long a seatpost will i fit inside the frame ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, I had it deleivered to Sweden, how could you tell? It took 6 days from when I first got the tracking number from Nancy. Very pleased with that.
    As for the seat post, I have about 205mm of possible insert with a 31,6 post until it hits some bump in the lower top tube section. If I try a 30.0 post there's no problem with 290mm insertion. I'm not sure if that bump is a manufacturing fault or if all frames have it.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    And no, there was no rear axle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yea all i needed to know, thanks.
    i just cant believe you already got it, i ordered mine in November last year..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Any updates on how the build is coming together lasseB?

Sent from my Ramosi10 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sorry for not updating, have mainly been waiting for delivery of components. Will hopefully receive the last pieces today. Unfortunately the axle adaptors are MIA but I can maybe hack something together to take it on a spin. Also I need to find a bleed kit and some dot4 oil to fix the rear brake internal routing. Will try to give you some updates soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    LasseB,
    I sent you a PM.
    Thx.

mtbr member
    May 2015

shock choice

O one more this for you guys i know the specks say 200x50.8 for the shock but you can run a 200x57 shock just fine with no issues at all.
    finalgear, what shock spec did you end up running, and any additional thoughts on 200x57 vs 200x50.8? someone else suggested that the lower linkage might be an issue with 57mm but you have built up and ridden this already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm running a 200x57 DVO Jade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm running a 200x57 DVO Jade.
    Have you had any rub or contact issues at all? Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but what rear rim & tyre combo are you running? I'm thinking of running a LB wide rim (either the 24mm or 30mm internal width) and either an Ikon 2.3 or Ardent Race 2.2 tyre.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No contact issues with the shock and with that wheel/tire setup you will be fine 2.2 or 2.3 on a 30mm rim will be good, i have rubbing because im running a 40mm rim with a 2.5 tire

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No contact issues with the shock and with that wheel/tire setup you will be fine 2.2 or 2.3 on a 30mm rim will be good, i have rubbing because im running a 40mm rim with a 2.5 tire
    Cheers for the info! Looks like I've got my next build starting to line up

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, so it's finally time for an update of my findings. The build is done and i've been able to take it on a proper test drive.

This is how it ended up.

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150716_121607.jpg

60mm stem 750mm bars, (187cm rider)
    RP23 medium - 175 tune (75kg rider)
    Manitou Mattoc Pro forks currently set to 160mm
    Truvativ Noir crankset on a shimano XT pressfitBB with Problem Solvers GXP adapters.
    Hans Dampf 2.25 on a 24mm IW rim. (lots of clearance)
    rigid carbon seatpost T-rail saddle
    Weight 12.77 kg with Nukeproof Electron Pedals.

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150716_121618.jpg

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150716_121632.jpg

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150716_121656.jpg

Learnings:
    I'm coming off a 120/140mm Specialized camber 26", horst link design (fsr), slightly modified angles.
    Frame size feels long. I like that. Could always run a shorter stem if it is a problem. It feels very stiff and rigid compared to the rather flexy Camber. It really is confidence inducing. I think that the Mattoc adds to the feeling but the frame is a big part of the package. Rear end is rather stiff but sometimes goes off. I think this can be my rear wheel that needs to be re-tensioned.
    The frame is extremely supple. I was worried that the design would give too much platform characteristics but it is actually extremely active. Still it is a good climber. I need to relearn how to use the linkage to pop over stuff and bunny logs, but It is on a positive note since I'm used to the rather saggy horst link characteristics where you use the suspension to load load the rear and "bounce" over stuff rather than trusting the linkage to give you support to lift the front.

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150716_121709.jpg

I can definitely say that the fm336 shines on the rough downhilly stuff. I have a standard loop that I run on my backyard mountain that includes a little bit of everything, flowy singletrack. technical climbs, rocky downhills and rooty descents and I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times riding it today. I still have to dial some stuff in, suspension tuning and properly adjusting gears (running a expander sprocket on 1X10 and cut the chain a bit short) but I think this frame will prove to be a winner.
    Problems:
    Nothing big so far frame build finish is all right but the internal cable routing exits fee la bit raw and they seem like they could be prone to wear and tear. I've tried to cover the most exposed portions in bike cover and cross my fingers. Also the cable routes are quite tight, almost didn't get the rear brake hose through (5mm standard Hayes).
    Biggest problem so far are that the linkage bolts have come undone during the short rides already. Both lower and upper link bolts came undone and the whole suspension package started rattling. 20min into the ride one of the upper bolts actually came out about 10mm and If I hadn't noticed it I'm not sure what wold had happened. I've applied blue loctite and re-torqued all 8 bolts and hope that this will fix the issue.

China Carbon AM Duallies-20150716_121145.jpg
    Oops!

Any questions, please shoot them here.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast