Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ok - think I've figured out the whole tapered steerer thing...

From what I understand, the taper size stated by the manufacturer indicates the diameter at the bottom of the steerer tube and then tapers to a standard size of 1/8" at the top of the head tube (which the manufacturers don't specify).

So a "1.5" taper" spec off the fox website means the bottom of the tube starts at 1.5" and tapers to 1.8" which matches the FM336.

If someone could confirm or deny my understanding that would be great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Now for frame sizing...

I'm 181cm (5'11") and have been riding a 19" hard tail for a very long time.

I was scratching my head when measuring up my current frame's "O" measurement for a comparison but then noticed HF measure from the back of the seat tube to the middle of the down tube (I was doing middle to middle).

Compared to my current rig, the HF-FM336 is 10mm longer on the top tube but that's nothing really.

If it really bothered me I could just go a shorter headstem...

My real question is - For an AM bike is 19" a reasonable size for someone of mu height?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You have correctly described the tapered steer tube of a fork. Where it gets complicated is the headset. This frame appears to have a 44mm upper head tube diameter. Can't tell what the bottom is labeled as. There are a ton of "standards". When ordering they should be able to tell you exactly what kind of upper and lower headset is required.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    When ordering they should be able to tell you exactly what kind of upper and lower headset is required.
    So would a $10 digital caliper from Harbor Freight

mtbr member
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-kaae View Post
    any thoughts on the cut out at the chain stay and downtube?
    it looks as if they are planning to make some customized protection for it.
    Same cut as on the Pivot Mach6

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That's awesome.
    But that site has thrown me a curve ball.
    They're specifying a 160mm fork and shock.
    Everything else I've seen specifies 150mm shock and fork.
    Sigh.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ok - now I'm getting down to the nitty gritty.

For forks, the "F" measurement on the diagrams (crown to axle) is 539.

Looking at something like a Rock Shox Pike 150mm, the specified Axle to Crown length for this fork is 542mm.

So, in my mind, 150mm (at least in this model of fork) is the way to go.

You'd assume other brands would have similar A-C lengths for the same travel but who knows?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just picked up another thing on the LaMere site.
    They're listing a 19.5" frame size.
    This is the first I've seen of this.
    All other diagrams list 19".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey Pau11y - saw u mentioned you're interested in a 19" in a previous post.
    Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm curious about the width of the rear triangle at the yoke. I wish I could get ahold of some CAD drawings that showed a top-down view of the rear triangle.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Also, anyone know a contact for someone at Hong FU?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Very strange - when I compare the geometry of top tube, wheel base and head angle to
    Giant's reign and trance (27.5), this thing is like some weird hybrid love child.

The following measurements are comparisons of the HF336 17.5" and Giant Medium 18":

Head Angles:
    Reign: 65
    Trance: 67
    HF336: 68
    So steeper than a Trance even though this is a longer travel rig.
    The Reign is REALLY slack though.

Top Tube:
    Reign: 61.97
    Trance: 59.94
    HF336: 60

The HF336 is probably right on par with the Trance as HF apparently measure from back of seat tube to middle of head tube (whereas Giant I think are middle to middle).

Wheel Base:
    Reign: 119.126
    Trance: 115.57
    HF336: 115.2

Giant seem to have the right idea with a medium frame being 18" (listed at least for the Trance).

This is all a bit of a conundrum as the Reign runs 160mm forks whereas the Trances runs 140mm.

So you would imagine the HF336 lands somewhere in the middle.

If we do the same thing again for the 19" HF336 against the medium 18" Reign and Trance we get the following:

Head Angles:
    Reign: 65
    Trance: 67
    HF336: 68

Top Tube:
    Reign: 61.97
    Trance: 59.94
    HF336: 62.00
    Again - the top tube measurement is weird on the HF so probably more like a Reign.

Wheel Base:
    Reign: 119.126
    Trance: 115.57
    HF336: Unknown (Let's assume one inch longer so 117.74).

This makes for a rough decision.

On one hand, the geo of the 17.5" makes it seem more like the 140mm Trance but if you jump to the 19" the top tube length is now roughly the same as a 160mm travel bike from Giant.

I fear the 19" would be too long in the top tube for that head angle given the travel.

I'm getting the distinct impression if you want to run 160mm forks you'd go the 19" and if you want to run 150mm forks go the 17.5".

Whatcha think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    336 has just popped up on another site:

2015 all mountain carbon bike frame-Carbon bike frame,Carbon bike parts,Carbon bicycle frame,Carbon road frame,Carbon MTB frame

Am emailing back and forth with HongFu at present.
    Landed price to Aus is $1268.
    Bit more expensive than I was hoping.
    Thanks US dollar.
    Print some more money - I'm sure that will end well.

banned
    Oct 2004

China Carbon AM Duallies

Quote Originally Posted by IckisBriz View Post
    Hey Pau11y - saw u mentioned you're interested in a 19" in a previous post.
    Out of curiosity, how tall are you?
    6ft even; 33 in inseam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd hold out for a better suspension design if possible. The bike pictured in that link is a pretty basic single pivot. Some people are fine with that but I prefer Horst link, dw type linkage, concentric axle, or virtual pivot designs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    False alarm.
    Suspension linkage is different.

It's a Four-Bar linkage driven shock. Not nearly as complex as the dual mini link, but it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, at 150mm it could be considered an AM dualy. But yeah, it isn't the frame discussed through most of this thread. Interestingly, the aluminum version from that company uses a horst link design. It looks similar but the pivot is on the chainstay rather than the seat stay.

Switchback buys catalog bikes from big factories overseas. Often times such frames are designed by freelance designers as a way of honing their skills and trying new designs, and the frame manufacturers get something they can show to the big boys to say "hey, we can build this!" Then a big manufacturer will come along like Kona or Cove (check out the Satori and Hustler and compare to the Unveil7) and have little tweaks done to the designs.

In the case of my bike, the Switchback Unveil7, it was designed by a guy who designed bikes for Fusion, Cube, Droessinger, Radon, and Votec, as well as Caribou Pro Bikes for some in-house designs. Designed by a German, built in Taiwan, sold by a guy from Oklahoma. Globalization.

The carbon frames that Switchback was trying to sell were produced by another manufacturer and were just too expensive for his model of sale, and I personally don't think they look as good as the aluminum models produced by Caribou Bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Excellent info. Thanks!

Basically, just like Lamere is probably rebranding these frames, the same thing will be done by other outfits in Europe and across the globe, just not here in the USA because of the DW Patent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Man - bloody patent system.
    I believe everyone should be paid for their work.
    And you should be allowed to protect your own designs.
    But it should be affordable for both parties and not cost prohibitive.
    Wonder how much it costs to license a DW linkage?
    Probably a ******** ridiculous amount I suspect.
    If it's extortion, f#ck them. Copy away.

Unfortunately the copies often times miss much of the attention to detail.

Cheap bearings. Misinformation about actual shock and bushing sizes. Difficult warranty processes. Headset issues (other carbon frames ran a stupid integrated headset). And of course,

Weird sizing.

I think in the future the Asian manufacturers will start catching up with the current trends in suspension design and sizing geometry, and we'll see more domestic companies selling these frames re-branded for very good prices. In order for those companies to stay competitive they'll need to know the product and its specifications very well, as well being able to communicate quickly with the manufacturers in warranty cases. It's already happening in the road and hardtail markets, and its only a matter of time before the carbon 140-160mm full suspension bikes are more common with branding packs applied.

It's made me really think about what my local Kona, Specialized, Pivot dealer is. They provide knowledge and warranty of the brand, perhaps free service, and charge accordingly (or exorbitantly). It seems like we've got two types of bike shop. One who knows their products, only their products, and prefers only to wrench on their stuff, and the other bike shop who isn't really a dealer, but just a service or consignment shop. With direct sales manufacturers like YT Industries, you'll start to see the normal consignment shop be a more popular spot as folks like us, who aren't afraid to ride an unbranded chinese frame want to go someplace for help without being judged for our buying decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All the factory direct carbon products I've bought from chinese companies have been equal to or better than western name brand products. The same goes for customer service. In fact, the Chinese companies are willing to engage in lengthy and detailed email exchanges.

In my opinion, the reputation for shoddy quality and poor customer service is undeserved. They are the world experts in carbon manufactoring and it shows.

For example, when I first bought light bicyle rims many years ago, the local riding scene was not very accepting. Some people were downright bigoted in their comments. Over time they have grown comfortable and have learned that Chinese rims are excellent quality. After seeing me abuse the rims on multiple bikes for years, many people started asking questions and soon showed up with Chinese carbon rims on their own bikes.

The same thing is happening with frames. I bought a frame that eventually was licensed by KHS and Framed. Again, at first people were skeptical. Then they saw the frame in person and again started asking questions, realizing it was excellent quality.

Full suspension frames are next in line. In my opinion they are already of equal quality to most more recognized, branded frames. Indeed some brands simply buy these frames and slap a logo on. In these instances, the Chinese frames aren't copies, but rather the originals.

If this frame had been available for purchase In a large size, I would have bought it without hesitation. Because it wasn't, I bought a used Bronson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hmm - now that I'm actually getting quite serious and almost at "pull the trigger" time, I'm backing off the 336.

I got off my ass and went and rode 2 name-brand 140mm and 160mm travel bikes today with unbelievably close geometry to the HongFu FM336.

Now that I've ridden a slack angled 6" travel bike and a more XC but still more relaxed angle 140mm bike, I agree with an earlier post that the head angle on the 336 is too steep.

I'm not actually all that convinced at this point that it's really that much cheaper to build it up from scratch.

There's obviously still disgusting margin in mountain bike parts which is very disappointing.

The only components that I've seen in my research that are really at a good price are frames and drive train.

Forks, shocks, rims (which I build myself and yes understand are a pita) and seat posts / seats / headstems are still a ******** ripoff.

Anyway, I found that for where I ride, 6" is actually too much travel and 5.5" is really where it's at for me.

Of bloody course, the only type of dual-sus frame actually available out of China atm is 120mm, with the fm336 being vapourware.

WILL SHOW DECEMBER MY ASS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    the HA is pretty steep. I am counting works -2* angle headset into the price

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cernymuz View Post
    the HA is pretty steep. I am counting works -2* angle headset into the price
    I dont think that will work because it uses drop in bearings for the headset. the works headset only works for frames that use cups no?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling View Post
    I dont think that will work because it uses drop in bearings for the headset. the works headset only works for frames that use cups no?
    Thanks for the heads up. I did not look into this yet. It would be a red light for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The inner diameter of the head tube is listed as 44mm upper and 56mm lower. It is hard to confirm anything more from the drawings. I'm not sure but something like a cane creek 44/56 angleset could fit. If so, that makes the head angle adjustable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Last edited by cernymuz; 02-02-2015 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey - just thought I'd chime in after a little while

As I said, I've been out of the mountain bike tech game for a while.
    I made a very interesting discovery in my research and test riding of a variety of Norco and Giant double-sussers.

If like me you haven't bought a new bike in 8 years (Giant Talon was a beast), you'll be amazed to find out there really is very little difference in weight between carbon composite and aluminium frames.

I picked up two models of the same bike at a Giant dealership and had to ask the sales guy which one was carbon.

In my research and speaking to bike mechanics as well, I was asked "how long do you hang on to your bikes for" to which I answered 8 years.

I was told in no uncertain terms to NOT buy a carbon frame if I intend on keeping the bike that long, and was advised carbon is for people who race or sell it off and buy a new bike every one to two years.

Having ridden a a bunch of trail and all-mountain bikes I can say that yes the head angle on this frame is steep for the travel it has specified.

I actually disagree with the advised fork length / travel specified in the diagrams and advice I was given from HongFu for the style of frame they are advertising it as.

If you were to bang a 6" fork on this bike it would probably start to feel more like an AM machine but at the same time could also feel very weird.

I don't know - until you guys see one of these in the flesh and have some real world feedback I honestly don't think it's worth the risk given the price.

I mean, $1100 AU is a good deal but isn't the bargain of the century.

For that much you're getting into serious money and I'd expect at least a decent product site with WAY more information and at least an accurate shipping date.

Again, for that price they should be putting out some samples for dealerships to demo if they really are serious.

In other industries where Chinese / Korean drop-ship is the norm I have to say the purchasing is way more official and support significantly more available (online chat, prompt clear language email etc.).

Honestly hope these frames turn out to be good but for me when I weighed up the risk vs. cost saving I ended up going with one of the big names and couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Aluminum frames are fine. But there is no reason you can't keep a carbon frame for 8 years. People who buy bikes all the time are also the people who are ok with spending money on expensive carbon bikes. That doesn't mean carbon requires frequent replacement.

mtbr member
    I gave up waiting for a size large and bought a used carbon bronson. Someone else will need to be the guinea pig.
    I went with a Blur TR and converted it to 650b. I didnt want to get this frame with so many unknowns. Sad
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post

My worry, as always, is top-tube length for a given standover and bearing quality.

This one looks the top-tube lengths are a bit longer than previous full suspension models, and bearings can be replaced.
    I dont see the 29er on the hung fu web site, is it there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IckisBriz View Post
    Hey - just thought I'd chime in after a little while

As I said, I've been out of the mountain bike tech game for a while.
    I made a very interesting discovery in my research and test riding of a variety of Norco and Giant double-sussers.

If like me you haven't bought a new bike in 8 years (Giant Talon was a beast), you'll be amazed to find out there really is very little difference in weight between carbon composite and aluminium frames.

I picked up two models of the same bike at a Giant dealership and had to ask the sales guy which one was carbon.

In my research and speaking to bike mechanics as well, I was asked "how long do you hang on to your bikes for" to which I answered 8 years.

I was told in no uncertain terms to NOT buy a carbon frame if I intend on keeping the bike that long, and was advised carbon is for people who race or sell it off and buy a new bike every one to two years.

Having ridden a a bunch of trail and all-mountain bikes I can say that yes the head angle on this frame is steep for the travel it has specified.

I actually disagree with the advised fork length / travel specified in the diagrams and advice I was given from HongFu for the style of frame they are advertising it as.

If you were to bang a 6" fork on this bike it would probably start to feel more like an AM machine but at the same time could also feel very weird.

I don't know - until you guys see one of these in the flesh and have some real world feedback I honestly don't think it's worth the risk given the price.

I mean, $1100 AU is a good deal but isn't the bargain of the century.

For that much you're getting into serious money and I'd expect at least a decent product site with WAY more information and at least an accurate shipping date.

Again, for that price they should be putting out some samples for dealerships to demo if they really are serious.

In other industries where Chinese / Korean drop-ship is the norm I have to say the purchasing is way more official and support significantly more available (online chat, prompt clear language email etc.).

Honestly hope these frames turn out to be good but for me when I weighed up the risk vs. cost saving I ended up going with one of the big names and couldn't be happier.
    You are right when it comes to the price of this frame, i like the idea of about buying a cheap chinese frame. But when they raise the price to this level, You should definitly look for an alternative, in my opinion it wont lead to anything good if we keep supporting the that part of the world - no bad feelings.

Now for what really matters
    Nancy from Hung Fu wrote me an update, and she told me that they are in process of gluing the frames, and next up will be painting.
    So at the end of this month they should be ready..

mtbr member
    Reposting from other related threads--

I wanted to reach out an make contact with any riders who might find information and reviews on Chinese (or broadly Asian) manufactured components/frames useful.

I'm working in Guangzhou, China (close to Shenzhen) on contract for a few years and in my early days here have been riding local trails, meeting local riders, and finding the LBSes over the past 6 months. A good Chinese friend of mine is a sponsored racer for a Chinese company (Quick) and also works in marketing for WTB.

He and I have this vision to get info out to our western brothers and sisters using our connections ("guanxi") in the industry here as well as our proximity to a number of the manufacturers. It would be website dedicated to unbiased short- and longterm reviews of products as well as info and images on manufacturers/companies. I know that a number of others have attempted this in abortive blog fashion or in forums, but I don't know of any centralized site/hub online with easy content searching and dialogue for these kind of reviews. We have some really great access to information here and would like to utilize it.

Is a website dedicated to reviews and info on Asian manufactured products (carbon frames, rims, some other components) something anyone would be interested in using if we set it up? We'd be happy to compile requests of manufacturers and products to chase up and provide tech info and reviews.

I've been interested in testing some of the 650bs and FS frames I've seen pop up here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intellikat View Post
    Reposting from other related threads--

I wanted to reach out an make contact with any riders who might find information and reviews on Chinese (or broadly Asian) manufactured components/frames useful.

I'm working in Guangzhou, China (close to Shenzhen) on contract for a few years and in my early days here have been riding local trails, meeting local riders, and finding the LBSes over the past 6 months. A good Chinese friend of mine is a sponsored racer for a Chinese company (Quick) and also works in marketing for WTB.

He and I have this vision to get info out to our western brothers and sisters using our connections ("guanxi") in the industry here as well as our proximity to a number of the manufacturers. It would be website dedicated to unbiased short- and longterm reviews of products as well as info and images on manufacturers/companies. I know that a number of others have attempted this in abortive blog fashion or in forums, but I don't know of any centralized site/hub online with easy content searching and dialogue for these kind of reviews. We have some really great access to information here and would like to utilize it.

Is a website dedicated to reviews and info on Asian manufactured products (carbon frames, rims, some other components) something anyone would be interested in using if we set it up? We'd be happy to compile requests of manufacturers and products to chase up and provide tech info and reviews.

I've been interested in testing some of the 650bs and FS frames I've seen pop up here...
    That would be pretty cool actually. I have a Chiner 29er and that bike rips!

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    That would be pretty cool actually. I have a Chiner 29er and that bike rips!
    absolutely

mtbr member
    Excellent. Will keep you updated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Any updates on the eta for the fm336? Pretty big delay over the initial November date of availability

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just got an update from Nancy at Hong Fu about the geometry specifications of the 15" and 19".
    China Carbon AM Duallies-geometry.jpg
    Looks like it will be a long and low beast even if it does have an even steeper HA in the 19". Maybe need a Angle set after all if the offset bushings doesn't do it.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseB View Post
    Maybe need a Angle set after all if the offset bushings doesn't do it.
    To me, the drawings look like the headtube is designed for a IS/Campy style headset = no Works Components or AngleSet.

Look at the lower 'cup' in the tube. You can see the 45* chamfer that an ACB rests against.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Let me magnify that for you.

China Carbon AM Duallies-headset.jpg

previous to the left, updated to the right. To me it doesn't make sense that it would be an campy (internal) headset since the OD of IS42 is 42mm (doh) and lower is IS47. The only ones using 44 vs 56 are the ZS integrated ones.
    If ZS an angleset would be possible depending on the depth of the cups.
    Or am I thinking wrong here?
    This whole headset thing is a jungle nowadays...

Rocks belong
    yeah, i dunno. you got me.

Hopefully those pics show the headset cup already pressed in and not a molded Integrated/Campy headset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Also, got confirmation from HF that shock length was 200*50 and that both bushings are 22.2x8mm

Rocks belong
    Will these ever be available?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    After negotiating back and forth with a handful of different companies, I've ordered a couple FM288 (AKA FM336/AM336) frames from DengFu (one for a friend). In the end, Wendy at DengFu was the best priced with stock coming (15-30 days...not in stock currently). I was talking to XMI, Ican, Feat, Miracle, DengFu and HongFu in case anyone was wondering. Price including shipping, paypal fee, etc was under $800 each which wasn't too terrible. Peter (on the forums) said he will have some of these available in about 55 days with his new company, Xiamen Carbon Speed Co.,Ltd (www.xmcarbonspeed.com), which he is spinning up at the moment. I would have loved to support him if it had fit the timeline, but he was super helpful in answering questions about the FM156 vs the FM288. This is my first bike build, so I may be a little over my head, but I'm excited to get this project rolling. If anyone has any questions about specifics of the buying/decision process, I'm happy to answer them. It looks like most of you are much more technical than I am and can offer more in that regard, but feel free to hit me up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Would be excellent if that 15 to 30 days is real. It wouldn't be surprising if that simply means they'll try to get it. I hope it works out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah. My wife imports things from China and I have definitely seen the "order now for future stock" thing fall through, but more often than not it's fairly accurate. Linda at Ican also alluded to a similar time line which leads me to believe the supplier has a run in the works that is due at the end of April. I am definitely prepared for the worst case though. I'd probably just change my order to the FM156 if I haven't heard anything by the end of the month. I'll definitely update (and solicit advice) over the next month or two.

A waste of time it is is
    15 -30 days, well I was told 90 when this thread first started so you should have it by the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah. I've got high hopes but realistic expectations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone got the fm336 and build it ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey all,
    Looking at buying the DSK088 dual sus frame from Dashine. It has a 66.5 HA and 140mm travel front and back. Sorta looks like a Stumpy. Only found one post about it and it was super negative. Has anyone else encountered this frame?

088 UD 20" Glossy 27 5ER Full Suspension Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Frameset | eBay

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was promised by Hong Fu that my 336 size L would be finished on May 18. Let's hope that they deliver on this. Will definitely keep you updated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Please do!!! Whats the build kit going to be?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sooo, may 18th has passed. No news on the status of the frame at all except the not so comforting "other customer also waiting the frame". Beginning to feel a bit like vaporware. Let's hope that we find some proof soon that these frames does exist for real...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Frames do exist i have 2 on hand one being built as i type this and more in transit. if you have any questions feel free to contact me or if your interested in getting one of these frames let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6647.jpg  

China Carbon AM Duallies-dsc_6646.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    And the thread goes insane in 3... 2... 1...

(Nice dropper routing)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    And the thread goes insane in 3... 2... 1...

(Nice dropper routing)
    Lol it has routing for a stealth post and also external internal cable routing, didnt rout the cable yet it will be done by the end of the day.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finalgear View Post
    Frames do exist i have 2 on hand one being built as i type this and more in transit. if you have any questions feel free to contact me or if your interested in getting one of these frames let me know.
    Any chance you can take some more detailed photos...linkages, head tube, BB, etc...
    TIA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Head tube is tapered zs44 top and zs56 bottom, bottom bracket is a bb92 with iscg05 tabs.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Head tube is tapered zs44 top and zs56 bottom, bottom bracket is a bb92 with iscg05 tabs.
    Right, got that. The reason I ask is by examining those areas, you might be able to tell the fit/finish...especially the linkages...how it mates to the carbon and how the machining is. What's your call on that? You had a chance to look in the inside of the head tube and BB. Did you face the head tube or BB, or did it come faced and ready to go. Did you get to cycle the rear triangle before bolting in the shock. Smooth? Any issues fitting the shock into its mounting...too snug or too loose w/ the spec'd hardware?

Edit: just noticed you have nice fat rims. What tire and size are you running and how is the rear clearance to the stays?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Head tube and bottom bracket were both ready to go out the box no facing needed, linkages fit well and very smooth, believe me i played with the frame before adding the parts, i was trying to find something wrong but with no luck, im running an intense cycles branded tire that was made by Vee rubber in a 2.4 size front and rear and that's the max size the rear will take.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Finalgear for sharing that. Makes me a bit more hopeful. Unfortunately I got an update from HF that stated the "frame have a little problem now. We need to solve it and make sure the quality is no problem."
    I believe that this is a good thing, that they actually care about the quality and durability of their product. Fingers still crossed about getting the new bike built before summer.

Rocks belong
    Whats the most recent (actual?) cost coming in on these? (shipped to the US + PayPal fees)

My HD3 frame just got delayed (again) and I have everything waiting a 650b 6" plastic bike build. I even have a new 31.6 Lev Ti waiting for install.

Love that this bike has a 447mm+ reach in a size Large!

I may just say screw it and get one of these 336's for 1/3-1/2 the cost of the HD3.

Knowing this bike has a standard ZS44/ZS56 headset means I could get a -2* or -1.5* works components headset and get the HTA down to a proper 66.5-67*.

Only down side so far is the BB92 bottom bracket. HD3 has good 'ole threaded BSA.

im running an intense cycles branded tire that was made by Vee rubber in a 2.4 size front and rear and that's the max size the rear will take.
    Even better news! I have the same Intense (Vee) TT 2.4 tire mounted on a Ryde Trace Enduro (29mm internal) rim and it fits just fine in the back of the HD3 I tested it on.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseB View Post
    BTW just pulled the trigger on a large. 45-60 workdays for delivery and 30% deposit. Fingers crossed.
    Did yours end up costing the same as what this guy posted up in December?

Quote Originally Posted by Warnerja27 View Post
    "thank you for your kind message in our website.
    this is nancy from hongfu bikes.

the price:
    FM336:$850/set(19" BB92 UD matte)
    headset:$15
    ship cost:$95
    4% for paypal charge:$38.4
    the total price:$998.4
    my paypal account: sales04@hongfu-bikes.cn
    EDIT: I just sent emails to DengFu and Hong Fu, hopefully they'll respond tonight.

A waste of time it is is
    Nice to finally see one in the flesh, so to speak.
    Finalgear may I ask where you ordered yours from, how long delivery took from placing order to in your hands and what was the landed cost?
    TIA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We have a special relationship with Miricle and was able to get them in a month from the day it was ordered to delivery and that's with paint (paint alone was a week) final cost was around 830 minus the paint cost.

A waste of time it is is
    Thanks for the info.

Let us know what it rides like when you get the chance please.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Head tube and bottom bracket were both ready to go out the box no facing needed, linkages fit well and very smooth, believe me i played with the frame before adding the parts, i was trying to find something wrong but with no luck, im running an intense cycles branded tire that was made by Vee rubber in a 2.4 size front and rear and that's the max size the rear will take.
    Thanks man! Hope you get her up and it rips
    Would you please do up a ride review when you've had some miles on her?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    will be testing them at Highland bike park this weekend if any one is going to be there you are welcome to take a spin on it.

banned
    Oct 2004
    will be testing them at Highland bike park this weekend if any one is going to be there you are welcome to take a spin on it.
    That's so awesome! It might be nice to see some quotes from those who've also taken a turn on it. SO congrats man!

bike rider
    I'm just curious since that's a nearly price-is-no-object build on a budget frame: Were you initially gonna get a Mach6/HD3/Nomad3, then decided to give this frame a try first?

It's just that I'm used to seeing price concious builds (like mine) on these generic frames and top of the line builds on pricy frames (like my Nomad).
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well the thing is this is a new company that was just started (Spectrum cycle werks) and i wanted to offer a frame that is just as good as the big 3 and other brands out there for almost half the cost, i mean yea i could have any frame i wanted to be honest with you but i figured let me see what i can do with this, dont get me wrong i love the t275 and i work very close with Intense and could get a frame at a good price but i would like to give the under dogs a shot also, when i first got the frame i was impressed by how well built the frame was and how thick the head tube was on this frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    O one more this for you guys i know the specks say 200x50.8 for the shock but you can run a 200x57 shock just fine with no issues at all.

Rocks belong
    So 150 or 168 mm travel?! Wow.

Just heard back from:

DengFu: $805 delivered, w/ PayPal fees (out of stock, "wait a few days")
    HongFu: $987.52 delivered, w/ PayPal fees (no mention of stock)

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'm just curious since that's a nearly price-is-no-object build on a budget frame: Were you initially gonna get a Mach6/HD3/Nomad3, then decided to give this frame a try first?

It's just that I'm used to seeing price concious builds (like mine) on these generic frames and top of the line builds on pricy frames (like my Nomad).
    That's a good point. My HD3 build kit is full X01, Pike, KS Lev Ti, SIXC bars... But alloy wheels. I could build an 336/288 for about $1500 less than my HD3 build. Hell, carbon rims would've only added an additional $250 to the build (but I simply don't trust myself with a carbon rear wheel).

That being said, resale on a used Chinese generic carbon frame will be pretty minimal. You'd be dependent on the parts build to support the sale. I know many here probably don't think about resale, but I seem to have the habit of having bike envy/indecisiveness and tend to turn over bikes fairly quick. (Seems sometimes I enjoy the hunt and the chase of a good build, especially with the rate that new stuff is being introduced to the market!?)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well if they delay you again i can get a frame for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    That's a good point. My HD3 build kit is full X01, Pike, KS Lev Ti, SIXC bars... But alloy wheels. I could build an 336/288 for about $1500 less than my HD3 build. Hell, carbon rims would've only added an additional $250 to the build (but I simply don't trust myself with a carbon rear wheel).

That being said, resale on a used Chinese generic carbon frame will be pretty minimal. You'd be dependent on the parts build to support the sale. I know many here probably don't think about resale, but I seem to have the habit of having bike envy/indecisiveness and tend to turn over bikes fairly quick. (Seems sometimes I enjoy the hunt and the chase of a good build, especially with the rate that new stuff is being introduced to the market!?)
    i just spec'd this build out for myself and being in the bicycle industry i saved alot of money on the parts.

bike rider
    Finalgear: Are you importing these frames now under the Spectrum label? I figured ebay sales of unlabeled frames would slip under the radar but officially importing would catch Santacruz's eye.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes we are, and you would this catch the eye of santacruz it's nowhere near a copy of their Vpp suspension setup, if anything is more like a hybrid of a dw link And a vpp, the A link is the top link and that's just anyother linkage that looks like a vpp link and the B link bottom link looks like the linkage from the HD3,with that being said without the top link copying the dw link suspension its won't be a dw link And without the bottom link copying the vpp it won't be a vpp suspension setup.

Rocks belong
    well if they delay you again i can get a frame for you.
    2 months

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    they delayed the frame 2 months?

Rocks belong
    they delayed the frame 2 months?
    2 months delivery on a 336/288.

I've been waiting 2 months for my HD3 and it looks like i'll be waiting close to another month

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I could build an 336/288 for about $1500 less than my HD3 build.
    Ok, doing some more figuring... Including CC-Inline shock, hardware, works -1.5* headset, bottom bracket, etc. What I'm getting my HD3 for is about $900 more than a 336/288 build.

For that $900 you get a shorter chainstay (and shorter reach), a BSA BB, easily sourced replacement parts (rear derailleur hangers, other frame parts, etc.), a proven, reviewed and highly engineered DW Gen5 suspension, full warranty (with US based customer service and arguably the best CS in the business) and much better resale.

I guess the problem here is figuring out what the rear suspension is going to behave like. Is it going to be more VPP like or DW like?

If VPP, will it be like a SC VPP or an Intense VPP? The Tracer T275c is not known as a super snappy, efficient climber as Intense's VPP has longer lower links and a more pronounced rearward wheel path (and associated pedal kick back). Will it wallow in the mid stroke like Gen1 VPP? Quite a few unknowns.

Also, it's a brand new frame. No clue on durability, impact strength, weight of frame, etc.

Hmm... $900 more is still $900.

mtbr member
    I wouldnt buy this frame until there are ride reports because that rear suspension action could suck. I mean this bike could be great, or it could be absolutely terrible. I have a hardtail 29er from China and its fine, but when you start to talk about suspension design that is a little more difficult.

Rocks belong
    I wouldnt buy this frame until there are ride reports because that rear suspension action could suck. I mean this bike could be great, or it could be absolutely terrible. I have a hardtail 29er from China and its fine, but when you start to talk about suspension design that is a little more difficult.
    Yeah. Dual link rear ends really need to be dialed and are sensitive to tweaks.

And I forgot that if I cancel my HD3 frame order, then I give up $250 in credits towards my build... bringing the cost difference down to $650.

I think I'll stick with the HD3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    there will be video and pictures after this weekend.

bike rider
    I don't remember, has anyone put this bike in Linkage and seen its axle path and shock rate?
    When using a 57mm stroke shock to let the wheel go deeper in the travel you say there's no interference (between the links & frame or tire & frame). So, what limits tire size? Contact between the corner of the tire and swingarm, top of tire and swingarm, or top of tire and seat tube? For instance, my last gen Bullit had massive tire clearence at the swingarm but some 2.4"s would rub the seat tube at bottom-out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Contact between the corner of the tire and lower swingarm.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Finalgear: just to be sure does the headset have cups or not cause I'm about to buy a cane creek ZS angleset and I want to be sure that it is not a integrated but a semi-integrated headset before it's to late. One more thing, do you know what's the max size of the seatpost and does it really have a rout for a stealth post?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    headset is not integrated 31.6 is the seatpost size needed not sure on the length because im using a dropper post and yes it has internal dropper post routing aka stealth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    o and for the stealth dropper your remote will be on the left side of the bars because the cable exit is on the right side of the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Finalgear: anymore pics of your build?
    o and for the stealth dropper your remote will be on the left side of the bars because the cable exit is on the right side of the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I could post some later on today, you want detailed pics?

banned
    Oct 2004
    I could post some later on today, you want detailed pics?
    Yes please, your tire clearance to the stays, thanks.
    Also, do you have any means to measure the HTA...like those dial thingies for construction?

China Carbon AM Duallies-p5pb11365297.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks a lot Finalgear. I'll be waiting for your feedback after the weekend.
    Just curious about one more thing, did you ever weighted the frame?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast