mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Cant decide between a 2019 Stumpy ST Alloy or 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon?

I am looking at picking up a full sus. I have a budget of 2k. I can either get a brand new Base model 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy, or a used 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon in great condition for a very similar price.

I am leaning towards the Santa Cruz. Any reason I should reconsider? I have ridden both and love the way both of them feel.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What is the build on the 5010? The frames can be found for like 800 so it would have to be a super nice one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Good to know.. Itís the carbon Solo C

mtbr member
    Spesh. no warranty on used SC

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The Stumpy probably has more updated geometry but you should also compare the components. And since the SC is used you wanna watch out for the condition of drivetrain, tires, brakes, etc

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If your budget is 2k I would be looking at cheaper used bikes in case you have to replace or rebuild stuff. Maybe try to find a used bike for 1400.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The SC has better components. All Shimano XT with 1x11 drivetrain, fox fork and rear shock both just serviced and rebuilt, all the bearings in the bike have been replaced and has brand new tires. It just went through a full tune up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
    The Stumpy probably has more updated geometry but you should also compare the components. And since the SC is used you wanna watch out for the condition of drivetrain, tires, brakes, etc
    The SC has better components. All Shimano XT with 1x11 drivetrain, fox fork and rear shock both just serviced and rebuilt, all the bearings in the bike have been replaced and has brand new tires. It just went through a full tune up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    If your budget is 2k I would be looking at cheaper used bikes in case you have to replace or rebuild stuff. Maybe try to find a used bike for 1400.
    Something definitely worth considering! Thank you!

mtbr member
    The geometry on the 5010 was pretty dated until 2016 when they made the v2. They're still good bikes, but I think the revision to v2 was pretty significant. Enough so that Id regret buying a v1 today.

CA bay area? You've got a good used market here, id keep looking for something else.

Hard pass on a any new model specialized FS bike for $2k. Your dollar doesnt go very far with that brand, 2k new must be an incredibly low end build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I do have a question now that you have mentioned it. What was so dated with the geometry that the v2 corrected or improved upon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Your best bet is going to be a closeout. The fork and shock make a massive difference on these bikes so you want a good one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    Your best bet is going to be a closeout. The fork and shock make a massive difference on these bikes so you want a good one.

I saw some closeouts on the Camber but I know those are now being replaced by the new Stumpy ST which was what turned me away from them. Have you had any experience with Vitus or Cube? They seem to come with well equipped components at a good price/value. Good reviews on the Vitus Sentier hardtails also.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If your ok with a used hartail I would go with one of these for a trail bike. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...on=3&q=ros%209. The discontinued them so they haven't held their value well but they are super good bikes. You will want the fork to be a pike or fox 34. Any premium steel hardtail should last a very long time. You can also find some good deals on steel bikes on closeout. Some others to look for would be a jamis dragon 650b or a chromag. Jamis is a little more XC and chromags are a little more am.
    Last edited by party_wagon; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_BayArea View Post
    I do have a question now that you have mentioned it. What was so dated with the geometry that the v2 corrected or improved upon?
    Its a really short bike. Short and steep with sort of a slack seat tube.

Honestly, every angle of the bike is dated. Some of it by a lot! I got a more modern bike recently (occam AM) and im blown away by how much better steep seat tubes work.

The 73 STA does the bike in for me. Its not enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its a really short bike. Short and steep with sort of a slack seat tube.

Honestly, every angle of the bike is dated. Some of it by a lot! I got a more modern bike recently (occam AM) and im blown away by how much better steep seat tubes work.

The 73 STA does the bike in for me. Its not enough.
    I have a 2013 5010 that I solved the "Short" problem by going with a Large frame. So despite normally riding a medium I have large 5010. 24" ETT and 50mm stem. Still a 68deg HA, but given the longer TT and the dropper it still descends well.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Stumpjumper all day. You can upgrade the components over time, but you can't change a frame. Unless you're cool with the old school geo, which I was not. Even if you wanted to upgrade the 5010 frame some day, half your components might not fit the new frame (thanks to boost and all that bullshit).

Plus I'd hate to own a carbon bike without a warranty. I might be biased, though. I'm not a carbon guy. I like my frame to be impact resistant.

mtbr member
    Knolly Fugitive 29ER

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Hard pass on a any new model specialized FS bike for $2k. Your dollar doesnt go very far with that brand, 2k new must be an incredibly low end build.
    Really? I've found the exact opposite. The best component specs I could find for the dollar were Specialized and the other big three. The only ones that typically beat them are the mail order only brands like YT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nashbar.com has some pretty good deals on fs trail and am bikes right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    If you can get a brand new 2019 Stumpy for 2K, that should be your choice without question.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Knolly Fugitive 29ER
    OP has a budget of 2k, so recommend a bike that starts at $4300...
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If those are the two bikes you are choosing from I would go with the Stumpy.
    Warranty and updated geo would sell it for me.
    If you're considering other bikes either YT Jeffsy or Canyon Spectral are great deals.
    I got an aluminum Canyon Spectral and love it.