Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    "Through the ages, we have been perplexed at the fact that people who don't play by the rules have an apparent advantage over those who do, and "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" has been the rallying cry of those who see the abandonment of values as the only way to prosper."

This is a proven fact. Gaming theory 101. It is the opposite of a fallacy. Curious, though, that by presenting this you are tacitly acknowledging your own actions. You are criticizing me for behaving like you do. It will always be clear that you are the instigator here, as you always are.

The "abandonment of all ethical standards" in this case is not mine, it's MTBR's moderation approach and your bad behavior. No one should ever be rewarded for bad behavior. Responding in kind is the only way to deal with people like you in the absence of proper moderation. I don't care whether you like it or not, I will always respond to you in kind and you will always cry about it.
    Wrong , Craig, I admit my behaviour was bad and that I instigated the tit for tat insult exchanges for one base reason: I don't like you or your attitude, and have never read any of your posts which would indicate that you were entlitled to any respect, much less deference. What I'm laughing at now is Mr. Supposedly logical trying to justify as "moral" his responding in kind using the fallacious "he started it " defense. Come now boy, your parents or primary school teachers must have screwed up. Mine taught me, relevant to the issues in this thread 2 things. 1) if you can dish it out, you have to learn take it. 2) if you are scolded for punching or cursing out your little brother, or another kid, " he hit me first" has nothing to do with it Hittingb and cursing are not permitted here, you are both wrong,you both have stop.

Moral of the story, the fact that I started it gives you ZERO moral high ground. Trying to get that by tugging on your boot straps, only tarnishes your supposed "logical" image and is suggestive rather of a very low I.Q.

Now I've gone ahead and shot across the bow of your ONLY ally on this thread

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1zfadc
    Last edited by dwt; 05-29-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

banned
    Feb 2012
    If threads could speak, this one would be begging to get locked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Wrong , Craig, I admit my behaviour was bad and that I instigated the tit for tat insult exchanges for one base reason: I don't like you or your attitude, and have never read any of your posts which would indicate that you were entlitled to any respect, much less deference. What I'm laughing at now is Mr. Supposedly logical trying to justify as "moral" his responding in kind using the fallacious "he started it " defense. Come now boy, your parents must have screwed up. Mine taught me, relevant to the issues in this thread 2 things. 1)?If you can dish it out, you have to take it. 2) if you are scolded for punching or cursing out your little brother,
    Tit for tat is not "he started it". No surprise you describe it as such, can't expect any better from you.

From Wikipedia:

Tit for tat is an English saying meaning "equivalent retaliation". It is also a highly effective strategy in game theory for the iterated prisoner's dilemma. The strategy was first introduced by Anatol Rapoport in Robert Axelrod's two tournaments, held around 1980. An agent using this strategy will initially cooperate, then respond in kind to an opponent's previous action. If the opponent previously was cooperative, the agent is cooperative. If not, the agent is not. This is similar to superrationality and reciprocal altruism in biology.
    So, as usual, dwt, you are both insulting and wrong. Not only is tit for tat moral, it is the only approach that truly is.

It's interesting how you can dish it out but can't take it. Looks like your parents are the ones that screwed up. Keep it up, "boy".

dwt
    mtbr member

New question here.

Tit for tat is not "he started it". No surprise you describe it as such, can't expect any better from you.

So, as usual, dwt, you are both insulting and wrong. Not only is tit for tat moral, it is the only approach that truly is.

It's interesting how you can dish it out but can't take it. Looks like your parents are the ones that screwed up. Keep it up, "boy".
    Srorry, professor, my bad.

"He did itbfirst"'is its own fallacy, subset of "two wrongs don't make a right" so youbarecstill wrong and twisting in the wind, trying to justify your bad behaviourv with " he started it" defense. Bitt

http. ://issuepedia.org/Two_wrongs_fallacy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

"He did itbfirst"'is its own fallacy, subset of "two wrongs don't make a right" so youbarecstill wrong and twisting in the wind, trying to justify your bad behaviourv with " he started it" defense. Bitt

http. ://issuepedia.org/Two_wrongs_fallacy
    Your anger is interfering with your typing now.

"he did it first" is its own fallacy? That's hilarious.

From your link:

The two wrongs fallacy refers to any statement where a given action which is known to be wrong is justified by the presumption that another person did, or would have done, the same thing under corresponding circumstances.
    But tit for tat doesn't say this. Tit for tat says that a given action is justified when the other person has ALREADY done it. In fact, it is necessary to discourage further behavior.

You are showing, once again, how limited your intellect is. You must be quite a lawyer considering how you get this wrong.

dwt
    mtbr member
    :
    Originally Posted by craigsj

"He did it first"'is its own fallacy, subset of "two wrongs don't make a right" so you are still wrong and twisting in the wind, trying to justify your bad behavior with the"he started it" defense. That is schoolyard logic;hence:"boy". We are both at fault, not just one. I admit it. Time for you to man up.

http://issuepedia.org/Two_wrongs_fallacy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That is schoolyard logic;hence:"boy".
    No, "boy" is another of your petty insults, just like your quip about my parents. You just can't stop nor have you ever been able to. You don't get your way so you throw a tantrum and them blame it on others.

I recall something about winners and losers and rep points...so much for that. Just remember, all that contempt for me is really just contempt for yourself, all I do is throw your garbage back at you.

dwt
    mtbr member
    No, "boy" is another of your petty insults, just like your quip about my parents. You just can't stop nor have you ever been able to. You don't get your way so you throw a tantrum and them blame it on others.

I recall something about winners and losers and rep points...so much for that. Just remember, all that contempt for me is really just contempt for yourself, all I do is throw your garbage back at you.
    Ditto. No tantrums here. Project much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ditto. No tantrums here. Project much?
    Unlike you, I didn't complain about risking rep points. I do what I've always done, tit for tat. You want to keep up with the insults, you'll keep getting them back. I'm happy with the forum seeing you for who you are, not that it's any mystery at this point.

It's interesting how many times you've used profanity in this thread. Tantrum is your middle name.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    If threads could speak, this one would be begging to get locked.
    Agreed. I think both users could stand a time out for the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    My entry is B-tweener , since that's what it is
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

NedwannaB

Zactekly

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    My entry is B-tweener , since that's what it is
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Yes, lock it capitan!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0vuuf4
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I just got the 2013 FOX Shox price list..they're showing 27.5" forks.

In 1920 the "Balloon" 2.125" tires were 26" in diameter.

The average 26x2.3 is about 26.5"

A Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.5 is 27.25

A 650b 2.25 is about 27.5"

A bigger 650b is close to 28"

An Ikon 29 x 2.25 is 29"

An Ardent 2.4 is 29.25"

A Hans Dampf 2.3 is 29.5"

So, yes, 650b isn't quite half way between sizes, but 27.5 still seems to be a reasonable name, and in 7 pages no one has come up with a better one.

Once again, i never planned to start a pointless battle, but to help get this wheel size rolling by giving it a name consumers can understand.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    So, yes, 650b isn't quite half way between sizes, but 27.5 still seems to be a reasonable name, and in 7 pages no one has come up with a better one.

Once again, i never planned to start a pointless battle, but to help get this wheel size rolling by giving it a name consumers can understand.
    Consumers can understand 650b. It's just a name after all and they understand 700c just fine. 650b exists and is unambiguous. That's the better one.

mtbr member
    That's true, but in road 700c is 95% of what is sold. There is basically one road size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Imagine, 95% of what is sold is named something consumers can't understand.

mtbr member
    I'm done with the time wasting. If any of you have something constructive to add please do so.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Embrace cognitive dissonance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can we just call it 27.5?-epistemology_1.png  

If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did I miss something while I was out riding my 650b?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I suggest a PM war...take the bickering off the thread please..

mtbr member
    Your tires have been recalled. The suitable replacements will say "Size Large" on them.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    I'm done with the time wasting. If any of you have something constructive to add please do so.
    constructive? heck yeah. give up.

EVERY single popular biking term has been the one accepted by the largest number of unwashed masses.

"faux bar", "brake jack", "all mountain", "freeride"....the list goes on and on. the truth behind the statements means nothing, the support of the masses behind those statements mean everything. looking at the sidebar ads, the bike companies are pushing "650b" and very likely that is the term that will stick in the colloquial consciousness, and no amount of mtbr zealotry has the power to affect the masses.

AZ MTNS said it best..."i don't care what it's called, but i want one"
    160mm travel for mine, please.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Kirk,
    "fact... not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall." to borrow from Dr. Jones...

++++++

I mentioned such in another thread, but, I'll repeat it here:

700c is the 'road bike' standard these days. 29" is the same size as the 700c, but it's a new label, to differentiate that it's a mountain bike. If you see 700c, you know it's for a roadbike, if you see 29er you know it's a MTB.

650b is far older, and will still be around. Where it's akin to 700c, I like the idea of using 650b for 'touring' bikes, etc. As 29er is a 700c, just with a pseudonym so you know it's a mountain bike, not a road bike, why can't 650b have an alternate name, too?

So, sure, use 27.5 or whatever, and you know it's the same thing as a 650b, but would be expecting knobby tires, whereas 650b means it's a roadish/mixed terrain tire. There are other 27s used, there are other 28s used, but 27.5 isn't used by anyone else for any other bike standard; so, yeah, I like 27.5 because it can*only* mean an equivalent to 650b.

A caveat: Amongst my tires, I have a set of the Conti's Tour Rides... on their sidewall, they don't have either, they say 26 x 1 1/2 on them... ack. I would have thought I was sent the wrong tire. However, looking more closely, there it was, 584-42. That 584 told me, it was a 650b.

So, regardless of being called a 650b or a 27.5 or anything else, I hope all manufacturers will have the ISO size 584 on there, just as an additional check...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
    Kirk,
    "fact... not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall." to borrow from Dr. Jones...

++++++

I mentioned such in another thread, but, I'll repeat it here:

700c is the 'road bike' standard these days. 29" is the same size as the 700c, but it's a new label, to differentiate that it's a mountain bike. If you see 700c, you know it's for a roadbike, if you see 29er you know it's a MTB.

650b is far older, and will still be around. Where it's akin to 700c, I like the idea of using 650b for 'touring' bikes, etc. As 29er is a 700c, just with a pseudonym so you know it's a mountain bike, not a road bike, why can't 650b have an alternate name, too?

So, sure, use 27.5 or whatever, and you know it's the same thing as a 650b, but would be expecting knobby tires, whereas 650b means it's a roadish/mixed terrain tire. There are other 27s used, there are other 28s used, but 27.5 isn't used by anyone else for any other bike standard; so, yeah, I like 27.5 because it can*only* mean an equivalent to 650b.

A caveat: Amongst my tires, I have a set of the Conti's Tour Rides... on their sidewall, they don't have either, they say 26 x 1 1/2 on them... ack. I would have thought I was sent the wrong tire. However, looking more closely, there it was, 584-42. That 584 told me, it was a 650b.

So, regardless of being called a 650b or a 27.5 or anything else, I hope all manufacturers will have the ISO size 584 on there, just as an additional check...
    Simple, clear concise informative constructive;
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 06-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member

No we can't call it 27.5 but your free to

Just took a quick look at my bike and wheels which I've been riding for the last three years.
    Looks like the ship has sailed on the whole "naming" thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can we just call it 27.5?-june2012-181.jpg  

Can we just call it 27.5?-june2012-180.jpg  

Can we just call it 27.5?-june2012-182.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Really it doesn't matter what any of us say. Whatever FOX decides to call it will steer the ship. While I think it is absurd that a suspension company will have the main influence on what a wheel size is called, they are the most "common man" big company currently in the mix, and that will set the precedent. So unless Specialized or Trek (or just Mr. Fischer) hand down a product with the size on the side, I think FOX has the reigns.

I hope it is 650b though, I think it is cleaner sounding than 27.5 (when said out loud).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    I think FOX has the reigns.
    You are giving Fox far too much credit. It isn't up to them. It's whatever the mass community will call it. It's just a designation. It's has little meaning on it's own and two-niner or twenty-niners were never called 700C...

27.5 sounds lame. Too many syllables.

Uncle

Called it

I'm accepting the slow death of this worthless thread as proof that my prediction of a forum apocalypse has come true.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/revoluti...ml#post9201475

Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

bonked
    Again, just because it rolled back up - it's been called 650b or B by the early adopters for 5 or 6 years now, and all the sudden it should be changed to 27 five just because?

I've been called Michael my whole life, and now you should call me 6 five because that how tall I am. Makes about as much sense.

Let's just call it Guillermo or something equally as arbitrary
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

the new Gilbert Grape
    To me, the best reasons not to use 27.5" over 650b:

Example 1: A 700c rim is ~27" with road tires, ~28" with a CX tire, and ~29" with a mountain tire. Are we can sell the same rim in three different sizes depending on what tire you choose to put on it?

Example: What size tire fits on a 26" rim? Today we only have 559mm 26" rims. However if you like old bikes, 571mm and 597mm rims are also 26" wheels. You can also argue that a 650c (used on small road bikes) and a 650b (with a road tire) are 26" wheels. So when you go to buy a tire to fit your 26" rim and the guy behind the counter hands you a 650c road tire, what are you going to say: "no, I mean the other 26 inch rim."

The 700c, 650b, 650c, etc. systems is outdated and the numbers/letters don't mean what they did originally but it's better than remembering that you 622mm, 584mm, or 559mm tires.

Also, a better argument to make is why the hell do people in the US (yes, I'm one of them) cling to inches anyway? Every developed country except one (and nearly all of other countries) use the same system for taking measurements: the metric system. In the age of the world economy, no reasonable argument can be made why any product should be measured in inches. 26, 27.5 and 29 inch wheels is almost as antiquated as the French system that gave us the 700c and 650b names.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    700c with road tires isnt even 27 inches though, and what cross tires are you using to get to 28" ?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    700c with road tires isnt even 27 inches though, and what cross tires are you using to get to 28" ?
    Thus the "~" which means approximately.

Continental tubes (made in Germany) that I use in my 700c CX bike labels there boxes as 28-inch tubes. I always have double check that they are 700c tubes as no one in the US calls any tire size 28 inches.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

derp
    27.5 inches ? None of my bikes have 27.5 inch wheels ... they do have 27.somethinganddependinghowwornoutheyare wheels though. Just call them for what they are for some decades now ... 650b.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
    Again, just because it rolled back up - it's been called 650b or B by the early adopters for 5 or 6 years now, and all the sudden it should be changed to 27 five just because?

I've been called Michael my whole life, and now you should call me 6 five because that how tall I am. Makes about as much sense.

Let's just call it Guillermo or something equally as arbitrary
    'Sup 6 five?

Of course I'd rather be chatting with 7 of 9. There's another thread for that.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    WFIW, Scott's people (the biggest conspirators I guess) are calling it 27".

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
    No, we will call you "IF52".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    New plan, we call it "Mountain B." Obviously not 650B, cause that is a trekking tire. Not 27" cause that is an old roadbike standard that it still in wide enough use. Not 27.5, because if we are going to be arbitrary, it would be better to go with 27".

So MountainB. You hard it here first

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    just call it "fity B"

and send me my royalty checks

Baby Bear is in the house
    Resurrecting this thread, after coming across this Youtube vid
    650B Trends_Scott Bicycles-Mountain Bike Action Magazine - YouTube

"We, like Mountain Bike Action, are using the inch measurement... we want to keep it inches because we don't want to change units of measure while we're talking about a bike..."

Hah! Sucking up to MBA, the rag that uses ounces and grams; inches and millimeters in the same sentence.

Adrian himself says "...you get a hundred fifty millimeters of travel with a 27.5-inch wheel..."

Silly.

If you watch the whole series of "650B Trends" by hitorquemags (there's one on Intense, and a few others) it seems just like a pathetic attempt at pushing for the "27.5" moniker. And yet they named it "650B Trends."
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    "We, like Mountain Bike Action, are using the inch measurement... we want to keep it inches because we don't want to change units of measure while we're talking about a bike..."

Hah! Sucking up to MBA, the rag that uses ounces and grams; inches and millimeters in the same sentence.
    Those idiots use fractional ounces where every frigging body else uses grams. It is stupidity. Grade A moronic.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Look at the new name of this forum. Just saying.

PS: ounces should have been abandoned a hundred years ago...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    But inches is somehow less asinine?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Six fifty B, six fifty, two seven five, two seventy five, twenty seven? It's all the same to me and most people who are in the know, will know what you are talking about no matter what lingo you use. I really don't think it matters at this point what you call it.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    MUCH closer?

584 (+25mm/4.5%)
    622 (+38mm/6.5 %)

I guess we need to switch to 650A (590mm BSD) to use 27.5"?

Much like everything else 650b, its going to be the manufacturers that set the terms here, and 27.5 seems to be gaining traction from what I see.

27.5" is easier to explain to the customer that doesn't have any idea what 650b is (26", 27.5", 29" makes more sense thatn 26", 650B, 29").

It also prevents confusion with 650C (571mm BSD). 700c works because 700a, b, and d are all practically obsolete. 700B (635 BSD) tires are out there, but everyone calls them 28".
    Yeah really, 6 whole mm difference from exactly halfway between the other sizes. Although I wouldn't mind trying some 650a and 700B bikes!

dwt
    mtbr member
    This dumbass subject has been beaten to death

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353000936.622833.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  15.5 KB

Some people can't get over the most picayune and irrelevant details. Ride the wheel size, whatever name you want to call it. Who friggin' cares? Get real

If you like it, post in this forum. If you don't and like 29", there are two forums for that; if you like 26" there are the AM, FR and DH forums. In all the forums, there are far more important and interesting topics than whether to use metric or imperial measurements and whether it is cool or not to mix them in the same paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree with dwt. You are allowed to mix units in the same sentence, how often do we talk about frame weights in ibs and top tube lengths in mm? So using 650b or 27.5 is just fine as far I'm concerned.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Folks who want to keep this pointless argument going might want to check out this South African forum:

650B is NOT 27.5" - Rant 'n Rave - thehubsa.co.za

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Let's call it Goldilocks. It seems to fit just right. (insert drum roll)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast