mtbr member
    Mar 2015

To buy 2016 Capra or to wait for 2017 model?

Should I buy the current 2016 Capra AL, or wait for the upcoming 2017 model?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Almost definitely get this year's as spec always goes down per price increase

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd wait for the 2017 model. Boost, metric shocks and updated geometry are sure to come.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I'd wait for the 2017 model. Boost, metric shocks and updated geometry are sure to come.
    Not for 2017

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    Not for 2017
    is that a guess or fact? Because my post above was just a guess based on the Jeffsy and only in case there is a 2017 model coming (which is very likely after 3 seasons)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Both. we chat around a couple of beers with the guys fron YT in MSA. They like talking about their products a lot and nothing was pointing in a new 2017 model Capra, (that was my guest). The fact (well ok from a guest) : one off them said: it's a winner, It's still sell by it self like crazy.

Maybe boost though.

mtbr member
    Given their recent success it's hard to imagine they won't update the Capra anytime soon.

Yes it's selling great but a revamped one would probably sell even better!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    Both. we chat around a couple of beers with the guys fron YT in MSA. They like talking about their products a lot and nothing was pointing in a new 2017 model Capra, (that was my guest). The fact (well ok from a guest) : one off them said: it's a winner, It's still sell by it self like crazy.

Maybe boost though.
    Hi Cadoretteboat, I know I don't post on these forums regularly, but I just wanna say how accurate you were on the YT Capra 2017 frame - no changes !!!

I read this thread months ago because I was thinking the same question whether to get a 2016 Capra or wait for 2017.

I think I'm gonna get the 2017 Capra this summer, as I just cannot wait any longer.

But then I'm also thinking surely this has to be last year before a big revision for 2018 - just how long can YT Industries continue selling the same frame year after year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bluescape View Post
    Hi Cadoretteboat, I know I don't post on these forums regularly, but I just wanna say how accurate you were on the YT Capra 2017 frame - no changes !!!

I read this thread months ago because I was thinking the same question whether to get a 2016 Capra or wait for 2017.

I think I'm gonna get the 2017 Capra this summer, as I just cannot wait any longer.

But then I'm also thinking surely this has to be last year before a big revision for 2018 - just how long can YT Industries continue selling the same frame year after year?
    I have already ordered the 2017 YT Capra AL. Is this the one you're looking to get? I was going to get the AL Comp, but it isn't worth it as I don't really care about air compression adjustment on the shock or the Sram X1 components, which are almost identical to Sram GX.

mtbr member
    I'd say the answer is for as long as it's relevant. XL carbon came along this year and a small price drop.

Besides a threaded bb there's nothing that I would change about the Capra frame. It's got great geometry, enough travel and sensible standards for parts (except the PF30 bb).

Or put it another, what exactly would a Boost, FD only version gain that an idiot like me would notice out on the trail?

mtbr member
    '17 Capra sticks with non-Boost design. I'm not a fan of 110/148 either but since many big competitors are going that way, why not Capra? Maybe coming soon?
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C XX
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1

mtbr member
    I also thought they will update the frame, but yeah, no go.
    and a bit dissapointed to see a drop in a bang per buck, have to say.
    maybe I'm not realistic, and was spoiled by their previous prices, but it is visible they went lower this year - still not low as Rocky Mountain with new Slayer - I mean, 770 model with XT for 6800€'s? jesus, come on! compared to that YT is then still going super strongly competitive.

but don't know, Race Pro 2016 vs 2017 - I don't know, 2016 seems better option.

I Ride 2015 Pro Race LE - prefer RS to Fox and I'm also dissapointed to see RS stuff only on entry level carbon frame.

I'm about 185 cm and the only thing why I'd change my Capra is to get XL frame instead of L I ride now.

looking forward to see what Norco changed on new Range.

mtbr member

Hella Olde
    27.5 Jeffsy came out today

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    27.5 Jeffsy came out today
    So?

mtbr member
    if new Jeffsey 27 is way they're gonna operate, I think next year's Capra frame will get updated.
    glad to see the reach got extended.

gotta start saving those coins than...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ashas View Post
    if new Jeffsey 27 is way they're gonna operate, I think next year's Capra frame will get updated.
    glad to see the reach got extended.

gotta start saving those coins than...
    I just couldn't wait anymore, that's way my Capra AL Comp is being delivered next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Congrats on the purchase OP! I bought the same bike a few months ago, looks absolutely amazing and rides great (I haven't taken it to the trails yet due to a knee injury, but soon enough...). Hope you enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BPearlman View Post
    Congrats on the purchase OP! I bought the same bike a few months ago, looks absolutely amazing and rides great (I haven't taken it to the trails yet due to a knee injury, but soon enough...). Hope you enjoy it!
    How well does it pedal on flat ground and do the compression settings on the Monarch really make a difference?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I've really only ridden it around a bit so far, and all of that "bit" was in mid-December. On the road, it feels good. Heavier than my last bike, an '05 Cannondale Prophet, but not unreasonably so. I was pretty impressed by it just riding around the roads nearby my house.
    I generally keep suspension wide open. On the Monarch, like just about every other shock I've experienced, it seems only 2-3 of the settings noticeably impact compression. Again, though, take that with a grain of salt until you swing a leg over the bike. I've got a knee injury so have very minimally ridden.

mtbr member
    I ride 2015 Race Pro LE which I got because of Lyrik (actually, '15 is MY for frame, all parts are MY '16). plus I waited for it for like 10 days only, super short time. best bike ever. Monarch works like a dream. can really takes hits and asks for more. super impressed. I was always biased towards RS, compared to Fox. never liked Fox stuff. not they're not good, but for half the dough you get the same stuff, can't justify that. plus - RS stuff is much more user friendly for maintenance.

comp settings work great. going up I'm usually in mid position - still bit stiff while good small bump sensitivity. open for going down. on both Lyrik and Monarch. while on road I put both in stiffest mode. very good for retaining speed and is super high in travel, good body position for longer tracks.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Capra 29er

To me, 2018 is going to be the year of Capra 29er. Now that also DH bikes use that wheelsize..

mtbr member
    wait for 2018 model. It's gonna shock the world

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So is a new revised edition of capra coming in 2018?

i would like 170mm travel, high and low setting (65 and 66 ha), more reach and coil shock models (this is getting hot in ews).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    more and more enduro bikes with coil!!! kona in the game also!

bring coil in capra 2018, YT!!!!!

mtbr member
    I think they'll revise the frame for 2018.
    metric for sure, possibly coil option, although I want air Super Deluxe RCT.

for sure more reach, as Jeffsy 27 showed us.

also newest boost Lyrik would be great, not a fan of Fox myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    2 settings for head angle would be great! 64.5 for steeper hard trails and 65.5 for a bit mellower.

also i would like the shock placed even lower in the frame!
    I don't like the trend to put the shock high, in order to have a bottle mount beneath...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Any news about 2018 capra?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    this is the way!!!!!

Transition Patrol vs. Patrol - See How the 2018 Compares - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

64 head angle, more travel front and rear, boost, long reach, rattle free foam internal routing, shorter seat tube, threaded bottom bracket, clearance for tyres up to 2,8''!!! Transition surely knows some stuff

The offset reduction finds me negative though -> 64 ha, 27.5 wheels and long trail will make the steering a bit sluggish in turns.

Also please have the shock low and centered (as in the new nomad), and not high and forward, just for putting a f@cking enduro specific bottle... this trend is disgusting! (given that a bottle is more important than a low and centered shock)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think 64ha for an enduro bike is too slack(it needs to climb efficiently). 64.5 and 65.5 with a high and low settings is best imo.