mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bronson 2 vs Bronson (1)

I ordered a 2015 Bronson C (R) 2 weeks before the new iteration was released.

My LBS dropped the price as they were selling it to me for the MSRP on the R build (sektor up front, deore/xt mix, monarch) same specs on the 2016 build, but of course that's still for retail.

Would I go wrong on paying for the 2015 and adding some goodies for the marginal difference of what I already wanted to spend initially, or should I opt out for the better frame on the tweaked Brondog?

2016:
    66 degree HA
    shorter chainstays
    revised VPP

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzamvilla View Post
    I ordered a 2015 Bronson C (R) 2 weeks before the new iteration was released.

My LBS dropped the price as they were selling it to me for the MSRP on the R build (sektor up front, deore/xt mix, monarch) same specs on the 2016 build, but of course that's still for retail.

Would I go wrong on paying for the 2015 and adding some goodies for the marginal difference of what I already wanted to spend initially, or should I opt out for the better frame on the tweaked Brondog?

2016:
    66 degree HA
    shorter chainstays
    revised VPP

I'd get the new one, saying that even though I don't have significant experience on this bike. I do have 1.5 years on a similar 5010 and think the (also similar) changes tot hat bike are exactly what it needed to be an even better bike. Plus, you can get pink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've never driven one, but I read a not so glowing review of the new Bronson, compared to the new 5010...for whatever that's worth.

It sounds like you got a good deal on the older Bronson, and for all the improvements and latest and greatest, keep in mind that as soon as your body gets used to the bike, it all kind of goes out the window a little bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't have Bronson, my friend does, he has Bronson V1 neon green, so do a lot of people, and they love it.
    my friend told me, he would only like V2 for the internal routing only. HA you can get it with angleset. the ride is already awesome as is, not sure new shorter chainstay will make much diff, and revised VPP, how much better is it? plus, pink and plain black not really his color.
    pretty minor changes, geometry wise.

I would get V1 with better price and use extra cash to get carbon wheels or better component. unless you are really digging the pink color.

Now is a good time to buy a new bike (older model), sales will be slower after summer, new 2016 coming in, 2015 must go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thank you all!

I do see that the new 5010, by paper, is a whole lot like a 2015 Bronson (minus travel). Not really into the pink for the primary color either.

Granted, the new one runs boost 148, which is really indeterminable if it will ultimately be a industry standard. So support for new industry standards is an incentive towards the 2016.
    So what changes are significant enough that make a bike better all in all for us non-Pro riders that could really take full advantages of these changes? I am no Greg Minaar, so how do these changes really impact us to dictate for a better bike? That's to say that the V.1 is a whole lot of bike already.

Flatter suspension curve, stiffer rear triangle, less mid-stroke pedal bob, etc. Is all this even remotely relevant to those of you who have experience with this?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I would go with V2 for the changes in geometry alone, that or the new 5010. After riding shorter reach bikes for years I picked up a Warden last winter. I love the longer reach with a short stem. I checked out the numbers for the new SCs and think they have nailed the geometry this time out. I have never been on a Santa Cruz and I eliminated the V1 Bronson from my list because the reach was too short, if I was buying now it would be a contender.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you can afford the new version do it. Long frames short stems and wide bars are the way to go. I have a version one in medium for the length even though I'm 5'4". The two in medium would be better as I could do a 35 or 40 stem.

mtbr member
    Having owned a V1, I would say definitely go with the V2 model. The difference in the version 1 and the Nomad 3 are night and day, seeing that the same changes have been made to the V2 that were made to the Nomad 3 make this a no brainer decision. Longer reach, shorter stays, slacker HA and steeper seat tube are all moves in the right direction. I no longer own a Bronson but do own a Nomad 3 and an Ibis HD3 which has similar stats with the Bronson, I will own another Bronson since these changes have taken place.
    2017 Pivot Mach 5.5
    2017 SC Hightower CC
    2017 SC Tallboy 3 CC
    2013 Jackal

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Your fleet is on point!

And thanks to all of you for making this decision easier. Ef' it, the V2 it is!

mtbr member
    Your fleet is on point!

And thanks to all of you for making this decision easier. Ef' it, the V2 it is!
    You won't regret it. Post pics when you get it in.
    2017 Pivot Mach 5.5
    2017 SC Hightower CC
    2017 SC Tallboy 3 CC
    2013 Jackal

mtbr member
    FWIW, I stopped in a shop over the weekend, and they had a V1 on the floor. The guy I spoke to said don't even ride it because the V2 is so much better. He didn't want me to get an opinion of the Bronson based on the V1. He said the V2 he rode at Interbike was much better. Seemed like a knowledgeable rider.

I was slightly disappointed, seeing as the V1's are on closeout pricing everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    FWIW, I stopped in a shop over the weekend, and they had a V1 on the floor. The guy I spoke to said don't even ride it because the V2 is so much better. He didn't want me to get an opinion of the Bronson based on the V1. He said the V2 he rode at Interbike was much better. Seemed like a knowledgeable rider.

I was slightly disappointed, seeing as the V1's are on closeout pricing everywhere.
    So he tried to talk you out of buying a bike that you could test ride and into a bike that you couldn't that would be more expensive? Sounds like he's on commission...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    So he tried to talk you out of buying a bike that you could test ride and into a bike that you couldn't that would be more expensive? Sounds like he's on commission...
    Actually I don't think so. Their pricing on the V1 was not discounted. He even mentioned the aluminum version coming in the Spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride the v1 Bronson and the new version looks really good, but if you are not a super aggressive rider or just want a good trail bike for the money then there is nothing wrong with V1 that a rear shock can't fix. Remember I said if you just want a good trail bike for the money then look at v1. I plan to sell mine and get the new V2 FWIW.

Dream it, Do it.
    I rode the new Bronson at Interbike. My ride report is at:

INTERBIKE 2015: Santa Cruz Bronson Review (150mm travel) — DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sorry for how long this is in advance.

I understand the v1 is still a hell of a bike, but thing is that I had every intention on buying the 2015 one. Then boom, 2 weeks pass the bike arrives 2 days after the new one had been released.

Unfortunately I was stuck on whether it would be worth saving money and getting a dropper post or whatevs, or simply getting the new version for what I already had planned on spending. However, I think that in general having a better frame is the way to go. 600 bucks is a chunk, but is it substantial? In which case I questioned it a lot. "I could get new wheels, but these WTB ones aren't bad. Or I could get a dropper post and some sweet hubs". I ordered the bike at the wrong time.

The v1 can still take punishing, that's no doubt from what all previous owners have spoken highly of, but I think that despite the price decrease (which I asked for btw) doesn't justify getting it. Santa Cruz takes their bikes out in back and ride the s**t out of them and then go on and tweak them to the demands of you already owners. They have taken a sweet bike and made it sweeter, from what you guys tell me. If I already was going to be paying for the same build as what the new one is valued at, then why nahhhhh. And FWIW there are several that would get the v1 over the v2 simply cause it yields to be a even more playful ride.

The guy selling me the v1 felt my pain and he was on the phone with the GM on getting me some wiggle room for the price on the v1. The guy rides a sweet DB inline Specialized enduro and was even considering on selling that and getting himself one too. He also claimed his GM went out there to the release deal, where they let people have a go at them. So getting an honest opinion was difficult. From his perspective, he needed to make a sale at the end of the day, but that says a lot now that I think about it. Even if that meant that they will have to keep another V1 in stock.

All In all, I needed an opinion on the community and you guys have made this easier!
    Now the LBS can switch out the rear shock with a Monarch RT3 for the CTD that comes with it, or even the Float X, not the Kashmima one, for another $100 bucks on the v2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry but I don't follow the last post: did you get the old version or the new version?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would get the new version for sure. I had a Bronson V1 for a year before I got my Nomad 3. The Bronson was always a bit nervous and twitchy. The Nomad is in another league compared to the old Bronson. It climbs slightly better and descends significantly better. The new Bronson incorporates those changes from the Nomad into a 150 mm bike. It's going to be unreal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    going for the new one. Placed order

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    V2. Long reach all the way. Also, lower BB than V1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    V2.

mtbr member
    Reading this thread, it sounds like v1 and v2 are a world of difference apart. Is everyone basing this on experience? Is the old v1 way inferior to the v2? I read a few online reviews, one reviewer says the v2 rear wheel gets hung up on rocks. Another reviewer says the v2 is more downhill oriented and wouldn't take it on a long ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was really interested in the Nomad but figured it would be to much like my Slash, little too much for everyday riding.

16 Bronson looks spot on, it will prob be my next build!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Personally I wouldn't worry about its long distance capabilities. This is an 'enduro' oriented bike, it all comes down to your fitness. Upon purchasing this bike the main concern was the idea of how fun and how much of a sledgehammer of a bike it is. You can bash it down some sweet rooty, rock garden-drops, with great balance. The composure based on all things considered from the first version in respect to geometry and suspension changes, is what this thread was aiming for.

Endurance and prolonged riding is something that is orientated for a cross country bike. This bike is really not directed towards that market.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride the V1 bronson and for me its my everyday trail bike and it really isn't much slower than my TBLTc, a bit slower on long rolling trails but not bad overall. The V2 looks good but the hang-up on rocks is mostly rear shock or rear shock tuning. I put a CC-Inline on mine and it clears roots/ rocks very well. One reviewer rated the Bronson V2 ahead of the Pivot M6 which is a steller climber for a 6inch travel bike. I don't see the bike as mostly downhill oriented, but thats me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Depends where you live. If it's steep, you'll want the slacker head angle. As for long rides, I ride my nomad 3c everywhere. I can do 30+ at altitude no prob. I'd go with the newer bike. All my buddies who ride older Bronson were clamoring for the nomad and new Bronson this weekend in CB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum View Post
    If it's steep, you'll want the slacker head angle
    Really?

mtbr member
    The V2 definitely looks great and all the revisions appear spot on. With that said I have been quite happy hammering most every trail regardless of length, tech features and elevation change on my V1 with Works -1 degree angleset and Vorsprung shock sleeve ($220 upgrade for both) that totally transformed the stock rear suspension characteristics with much improved small bump compliance and firmer mid-stroke, better bottom on big hits. I now can run 30% sag for best performance climbing or descending, whereas I had to run <20% with stock Fox CTD or would blow thru travel too easily and much harsher initial stroke in the rough. With -1 angleset it drops BB, steepens STA, slacks front and lengthens WB and reach a bit much like the V2.

I am happy to see the changes on the V2 and would be top contender for do-all trail/AM machine, but not worth the upgrade for me since pretty happy with V1 with above upgrades. FWIW, I test rode a Nomad3 at local AM trail center (Sandy Ridge) last month for a few hours and back to my Bronson and was surprised how faster the Bronson accelerated with speed changes on trail (corners, varying grades) and overall felt a lot more responsive, thus more fun to ride to me. Nomad3 only had the edge on straight away, rough high speed sections with more of a stable, plow-over feel that aren't the norm on most the trails I ride and just wasnt as agile to me. Boost 148 looks good, but I think more beneficial for the big wheels, since 27.5 is so close to 26 in handling and performance.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I noticed the BB on the v2 is way behind the seat tube and the new pivot creates a pocket to collect dirt and rocks. Possible crushing a rock between rocker and bb.

v2
    Bronson 2 vs Bronson (1)-bronson-frame-profile-black.jpg

V1
    Bronson 2 vs Bronson (1)-snaammdd870.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdefy View Post
    I noticed the BB on the v2 is way behind the seat tube and the new pivot creates a pocket to collect dirt and rocks. Possible crushing a rock between rocker and bb.

v2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronson-Frame-Profile-Black.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1018147

V1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snaammdd870.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	1018148
    You think so? I don't think I'd worry about crushing a rock up in there, that would take an absolutely perfect scenario.

You did a nice job noticing the differences between the two frames, it looks like the older frame would be a little more apt to hit rocks, etc, because the bearing assembly sits a bit lower or is that just my imagination? I guess the chain ring would probably hit before anything anyway.

Your bike sucks
    going for the new one. Placed order
    Good choice. I'd rock that pink bike like no one's biz..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    The V2 definitely looks great and all the revisions appear spot on. With that said I have been quite happy hammering most every trail regardless of length, tech features and elevation change on my V1 with Works -1 degree angleset and Vorsprung shock sleeve ($220 upgrade for both) that totally transformed the stock rear suspension characteristics with much improved small bump compliance and firmer mid-stroke, better bottom on big hits. I now can run 30% sag for best performance climbing or descending, whereas I had to run <20% with stock Fox CTD or would blow thru travel too easily and much harsher initial stroke in the rough. With -1 angleset it drops BB, steepens STA, slacks front and lengthens WB and reach a bit much like the V2.

I am happy to see the changes on the V2 and would be top contender for do-all trail/AM machine, but not worth the upgrade for me since pretty happy with V1 with above upgrades. FWIW, I test rode a Nomad3 at local AM trail center (Sandy Ridge) last month for a few hours and back to my Bronson and was surprised how faster the Bronson accelerated with speed changes on trail (corners, varying grades) and overall felt a lot more responsive, thus more fun to ride to me. Nomad3 only had the edge on straight away, rough high speed sections with more of a stable, plow-over feel that aren't the norm on most the trails I ride and just wasnt as agile to me. Boost 148 looks good, but I think more beneficial for the big wheels, since 27.5 is so close to 26 in handling and performance.
    Thanks for posting those tips. Sounds like I can get my v1 to near v2 levels with the aircan and Angleset. With the ass falling out of the Aussie dollar, a new frame ($4400 au) ain't gonna happen plus would need new rear hub anyway.