Thread: BLT2 650'd

mtbr member

BLT2 650'd

yep, it fits. I'll let TexHeckler or TNC give the specifics if they show up. My '07 Stumpy was very good with these on the front and back, but this LT2 is even better. Coil Pike is super plush. I only have 1 ride on it but I put the bike through it's full rear travel several times (though I didn't know it at the time) and had no clearance problems at all. Can't wait to get some more miles on it. Thanks Biketown for another great setup!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 SC Blur XCc

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah Britt, that thing turned out nice. I was impressed that it built out at 29lbs. with 650B both ends, a 454 Pike, and not a bunch of XC stuff. I took it for a spin by the shop, but how did it do out at Buck Creek? I was out there fairly late today, and by the looks of your shadow, you were too. Did you get any time on it? That bike feels very stout. I guess you heard I ordered up an '08 Stumpy FSR from the Spec closeout yesterday. Should be a nice alternative to my Nomad.

mtbr member
    Gary said that both you and he took it over your favorite curb there at work. I got in about 2/3 of BC this afternoon. It's hard to make a real technical analysis after only one ride, but my initial thoughts are that I'm really impressed. Small bump, big hit, and climbing were all amazing. Everything just felt right.

Congrats on the stumpy. It's never a bad thing to add another to the stable...

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yeah Britt, that thing turned out nice. I was impressed that it built out at 29lbs. with 650B both ends, a 454 Pike, and not a bunch of XC stuff. I took it for a spin by the shop, but how did it do out at Buck Creek? I was out there fairly late today, and by the looks of your shadow, you were too. Did you get any time on it? That bike feels very stout. I guess you heard I ordered up an '08 Stumpy FSR from the Spec closeout yesterday. Should be a nice alternative to my Nomad.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

Nice rig Purs! I had a sneaking suspicion that a 650b wheel would fit in a BLT2. Can you take a few shots of the rear end to show what kind of tire clearance you've got?

Cheers,

KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

emtb.pl
    and how much space to the front der cable stop w\o air in that fox. I will do it as a first thing in spring if there's space there! Congrats purs! Tnc any chance to check the new nomad??

TNC
    noMAD man
    Kirk, there was a ton of room with the 650B in there...a ton. They've really opened up the stays back there...and I'll bet the new Nomad is similar. As krolik mentions, the potential contact point is the front derailleur cable stop and seat tube under max wheel/tire compression. In the real world, this may never happen. Purs stated he got what appeared to be his full 2.5" stroke without contact under riding conditions. Even when we got it to touch in the bike stand, it was a brush at the tip of the knobs. This is with a full Neo, of course. We're going to keep an eye on it.

krolik, I haven't gotten see a new Nomad in the flesh.

emtb.pl
    Heh, I have one more card to play - even if there's not enough space to the cable stop, I will be running a rohloff speedhub on the Nomad2 and I can shave the cable stop - it is useless anyway.
    This will make this frame very hard to sell but it'd work without issues. I run a CCDB which can be tuned not to bottom out that much but still I'd much prefer to be sure for stuff I do ocasionally:/
    One more question Purs: is this neo running tubeless on the 355 rim? if so/if not, what pressure?
    I will probably run sth more stout for a rear wheel than a 355 (although it proved impressively stout in the front) and I might run a tube because of lack of other tubeless options (and for added safety), so the volume will be smaller (which is a shame but may help with clearance). Stan, please make a flow 650B, pretty pretty please!!!
    The rear wheel will be extremely stiff because of the rohloff's high flanges and equal spoke lenghts/torques on both sides of the hub. Plus a 650b rim will allow a 3x pattern (rohloffs run a 4x on 26" because of spoke angles).
    I can't wait!

mtbr member
    tubeless around 35psi. I weigh 173.lbs or 78kg if my math is right.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

TNC
    noMAD man
    krolik it's tubeless, but I don't know the pressures he runs. The clearance on the seat tube and cable stop may not really end up being an issue here. While we could get it to buzz the stop with the shock schrader valve open, I don't think the shock actually ever gets to that point.

krolik, have you considered a Sun 650B? I'm calling them next week to check on this. The rim is more like the Blunt, and I'm thinking of getting one for the front of my Nomad. The ZTR355 Stans has been totally reliable and stout for the front, but I'd like to have the Neo footprint I had with the Blunt.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    krolik it's tubeless, but I don't know the pressures he runs. The clearance on the seat tube and cable stop may not really end up being an issue here. While we could get it to buzz the stop with the shock schrader valve open, I don't think the shock actually ever gets to that point.

krolik, have you considered a Sun 650B? I'm calling them next week to check on this. The rim is more like the Blunt, and I'm thinking of getting one for the front of my Nomad. The ZTR355 Stans has been totally reliable and stout for the front, but I'd like to have the Neo footprint I had with the Blunt.
    Thanks. I guess it might not be an issue indeed but I'd like to be tripple-sure - I have two kids. Although it is much better to have the rear wheel brought to a stand-still than the front one (), it is best to have both rolling freely
    I have absolutely NO info about this sun rims avialability anywhere near Poland. PM sent.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    I run a CCDB which can be tuned not to bottom out that much but still I'd much prefer to be sure for stuff I do ocasionally:/
    With coil it's easy to limit travel. I've done it. Make a spacer with a metal or wide plastic washer or two, cut into "c" shape, and put under the bump stop inside the coil. The cut washers can be held in place under the bump stop with electrical tape, or drill holes in the washer and zip-tie the washer gap closed.

Purs, That LT2 pictured above sure looks right with those 650b wheels! Great news!

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    With coil it's easy to limit travel.!
    True.
    I am a tad worried to loose my perfect ballance that I have with 27.5"Front and 26"Rear.
    29" in the front is a bigger risk though.

mtbr member
    OK, got to ride a little harder and faster today. On one of our segments there is about a 2.5' drop that I usually hit about 20mph. I did get a veryslight buzz upon landing. It was noticable enough to hear but I did not feel anything. It should be noted that I've never been accused of being particularly smooth or technically proficient when landing a jump or drop. I pretty much just bomb off and land hard, not very efficient but tons of fun. After the ride TNC and I took a closer look and and found that the buzz didn't come from the cable guide but from the cable itself. Hmmm. I'm not the least worried about it, but did want to mention it for those of you considering it. Pic to follow shortly.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sweet, very interested to see pics of the Claerance at the Chainstay yoke as well, if you have the time

Thanks

Sail On!
    Definitely I second that request for pics of the chainstay and seatstay clearance. I was so happy with my BLT1 with 650B just up front but you got me thinkin'. While your at it can we get a BB height measurement?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you! I was hoping someone would convert an LT2. Okay.. Now I've heard all of the "goods" about 650B conversions. Assuming you can make both wheels fit, and control any rubbing or bottoming... What are the "bads"?

TNC
    noMAD man

A couple...

Quote Originally Posted by 177ark
    Thank you! I was hoping someone would convert an LT2. Okay.. Now I've heard all of the "goods" about 650B conversions. Assuming you can make both wheels fit, and control any rubbing or bottoming... What are the "bads"?
    These are probably short term issues but the first is tire choice. For the moment it's very limited. The NeoMoto is about as good a tire as I've ridden for light to aggressive trail, but overall tire choice and availability is obviously limited compared to 26"...but no shocker there, right?

Number two would be what you attach the tires to...rims and complete wheelsets. The few available are some very good ones, but choice is logically limited at this point.

Past that, the 650B wheel size is a perfect compromise size to get the tallest wheel/tire possible without having to totally redesign bike frames and suspension forks. No, they don't fit every fork or rear of every bike, but 650B fit enough good ones to have a quality 650B bike...and perhaps more in the future. There's really aren't many negatives. I have 4 MTB's. Two of them will take 650B front and rear...a Bullit and Stumpjumper FSR. I have a Nomad with 650B in a Nixon 160 fork that works great.
    Last edited by TNC; 01-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks TNC..

Purs:
    By how many mm should the shock's stroke be reduced to prevent contact with the derailleur cable (how much earlier should the shock bottom out)?

mtbr member
    I'm riding with TNC today and will see if we can get a measurement and some pics. I will tell you that after at least 10 more laps around our 11 mile loop I've not had another contact of the tire and cable to speak of. I even knocked the travel o-ring off my shock yesterday and didn't rub or if it did I didn't hear or feel it...
    Last edited by Purs; 01-23-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

emtb.pl
    My long-time-ago ordered Nomad2 frame is delayed again till April:/
    I wonder if I can fit the neo there.

mtbr member
    just got back from a trail that is really really rough. All I can say about this LT2 with these 650's is WOW! No rubs at all. It handled everything that the trail and I could throw at it and never blinked. I didn't get many pics cause we were busy riding but here is one sequence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Purs. Keep us updated. I'm waiting on a 650B wheelset myself. I'll post my results soon as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Clearance pics, great news. Remember tire casing will expand so buzz may get a little louder, but no worries I would imagine. I forgot how much, but Kirk can tell you and it's on the forum somewhere how much expansion I got with ghetto tubless neos. I think a shade over 2mm, but on the sides and just a tiny amount center.
    I wonder if it is different with tubes.
    Anyway, great news on BLT2 !

TNC
    noMAD man
    Purs BLT2 even knocked the travel o-ring off the shock shaft...so...I'd say he got full travel. This ranch we rode at is a really rocky, gnarly place. His bike did great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is your RS Pike all factory (no mods for 650b)?

mtbr member
    straight from the factory no mods.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

MTB B'dos
    Make any progress on this request yet? Very interested to see what sort of clearance you have back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Nice rig Purs! I had a sneaking suspicion that a 650b wheel would fit in a BLT2. Can you take a few shots of the rear end to show what kind of tire clearance you've got?

Cheers,

KP
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    My long-time-ago ordered Nomad2 frame is delayed again till April:/
    I wonder if I can fit the neo there.
    reported from my friends at SkiRackSports in Bangor, Me:

stans 355 650b with a schwalbe 2.25 650b tire clear the nomad2 rear triangle, and clear the mainframe under full compression. tested it today.

that's all i know at the moment.
    i'll harass him for pix of clearance

anyone know how the o.d. of the Schwalbe compares to that of the Neo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Thanks for the test ride!

I really appreciate your bringing in the Blur to Bike Town last weekend for me ride around the parking lot. I was impressed just running over curbs and know I now I made the right decision to order one. Also was great to try out the twist shifters and have decided to give them a try instead of the triggers. All I gotta do now is wait 'til April and hope the frame shows up. One thing I forgot to look at....Will the frame accept bottle cages or is this a Camelback only type ride? Mike

mtbr member
    Mike,

glad to help out. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I see no built-in place to mount a bottle cage. I always ride with a camelback, a lightweight 50.oz for shorter rides and a 100.oz for my "epic" rides...
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Did the pics of the BLT2 showing clearance with 650b tires get lost? Any chance they could be re-posted? Very interested in this combo...

b a n n e d
    Any long term updates on this? I think I saw somewhere that Purs sold this bike though . . . why? any reason in particular?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Any long term updates on this? I think I saw somewhere that Purs sold this bike though . . . why? any reason in particular?
    FWIW, I have been on a 650 blur LT for an extended period of time and it is great. It will be my bike for a couple of enduro events this summer. If you are on the fence, just do it. Unless you can get a killer deal, be sure to get the updated frame with tapered head tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been 650b on my LT2 for about a year now and I couldn't be happier.

Fred

mtbr member
    Loved that bike, but had recently picked up a carbon XC and couldn't justify both, plus I wanted to use the $$ from the sale to kick off my family's clean water project: Love Wins The LT2 was about 28.5.lbs my carbon Xc is 23.5 when I had the 650's on them. The LT2 is a great AM ride with the 26's but went to a whole new level with the 650's. Same goes for the XC, great bike but WAY better with the bigger wheels. JMHO.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

b a n n e d
    I think my biggest concern is the already high BB, which will only be exacerbated with the bigger wheels. However, you three seem to really have liked it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Santa Cruz needs to offer 12mm x 135/142 read axle options on these bikes IMO. Then again they have to be aware plenty of people are converting a bunch of their bikes to 650B wheels so they really need to get with the program and make some 650B bikes.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Santa Cruz needs to offer 12mm x 135/142 read axle options on these bikes IMO. Then again they have to be aware plenty of people are converting a bunch of their bikes to 650B wheels so they really need to get with the program and make some 650B bikes.
    Yea, I have it from a very good source that that's not happening anytime soon. I have suggested/begged/pleaded/barraged SC for three years now with 650B since the first "becklers" hit the forums. They really just came to terms with the whole 29er thing. Luckily the 26" trailbikes they make work well for 650B conversion. You can make your own aluminum 12 X 135mm /10mm axle adapters pretty easily. (or order them) -thats not chagning either. Stubborn, but successful they are!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was just about to purchase some new wheels for my new whip and ran across this 650B conversion thread. In short, is it a straight swap with no modifications needed? I have a 2012 Blur LTc with a Float 150 Kashima FIT RLC Taper. I'll keep on doing my due diligence but just wanted to bump this thread.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I was just about to purchase some new wheels for my new whip and ran across this 650B conversion thread. In short, is it a straight swap with no modifications needed? I have a 2012 Blur LTc with a Float 150 Kashima FIT RLC Taper. I'll keep on doing my due diligence but just wanted to bump this thread.
    Based on what I have read, yes its a straight swap. The only modification might be to add a small spacer in the shock (like 3mm) to keep the rear wheel from bottoming out against the front derailleur.

I've decided against the 650b for the BLT2 because the BB is high enough already. I don't need it any higher. A 650b TRc on the other hand . . . thats probably my next bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Based on what I have read, yes its a straight swap. The only modification might be to add a small spacer in the shock (like 3mm) to keep the rear wheel from bottoming out against the front derailleur.

I've decided against the 650b for the BLT2 because the BB is high enough already. I don't need it any higher. A 650b TRc on the other hand . . . thats probably my next bike.
    Thanks 007. What's the biggest downfall of having a slightly higher BB height? I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I've already decided to purchase a new wheelset, just not sure if it's going to be a 26 or 650B. I will be using my existing hubs so whatever I decide I'm stuck with.

b a n n e d
    The trend these days seems to be for lower BB and longer TT lengths, which essentially lowers the center of gravity . . . which translates to a better handling bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been riding a 650b Blur LT2 for a couple of years now in and around central British Columba (built up a cheap used 'non-trendy' alloy frame with lots of scratches!) and haven't found the slightly high BB much of a problem. I'm running an X-fusion Vengence at 130mm and static BB height is 13 inches. The problem I've found with low BB heights is that if you run any decent amount of sag you get way too many peddle strikes.
    As for the BLT2 with 650b...well, lets say I sold all my other bikes (Ti hardtail and Ventana El Rey) and ride this for everything now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLT2 650'd-dsc06716.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks 007. What's the biggest downfall of having a slightly higher BB height? I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I've already decided to purchase a new wheelset, just not sure if it's going to be a 26 or 650B. I will be using my existing hubs so whatever I decide I'm stuck with.
    Yo dude, 007 isn't buying a WS, but you are. Actually ask some converts to trade you WS's, so they can have the lower BB back. I don't even think 007 would go for that post conversion.
    Consider also how many posts exist saying that 650b ruined their BLT2?

IDK, the same coin for a whole new level of performance? 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained' my friend. Be thirsty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    Yo dude, 007 isn't buying a WS, but you are. Actually ask some converts to trade you WS's, so they can have the lower BB back. I don't even think 007 would go for that post conversion.
    Consider also how many posts exist saying that 650b ruined their BLT2?

IDK, the same coin for a whole new level of performance? 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained' my friend. Be thirsty.
    I've decided to go with Stans 26" Arch EX's, keeping it simple.

mtbr member
    PM sent.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well hey, you were curious and know what's coming.
    Maybe when you get around to a new ride, 650b will be the standard.
    Ah, but selling that 26er that could have easily been a 650b. No I din't...my bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    Well hey, you were curious and know what's coming.
    Maybe when you get around to a new ride, 650b will be the standard.
    Ah, but selling that 26er that could have easily been a 650b. No I din't...my bad.
    Haha, I'm used to regret and envy! Either way I have my Highball as my 29'er go fast bike and now my Blur for all the other stuff. Wheel builds aren't too expensive anyways, maybe next time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I decided to try 650b wheels on my Blur LTc after demoing a Tallboy and not being satisfied with the amount of travel. I liked how the 29er rolled over everything and wanted to achieve something similar with my bike. Thanks to a buddy I was able to borrow a set of Pacenti wheels and tires to try out. Surprisingly I didn't have any of the clearance issues others were having where spacers were needed in the shock. I also took a bunch of pictures so you guys can see the conversion. I was running a big 2.4 Mega-Motto up front and a 2.3 Neo-Moto in the back.

I only got 3 rides in before I broke my right thumb so here's a quick review. Initially pedaling around I didn't notice a big difference. It wasn't until I started climbing up a series of 10-12 switchbacks that I started noticing some differences. Like a 29er, I found that I needed a little more oomph to keep the wheels going so the bike wouldn't stall. But as long as I kept my legs moving it got up the hill as quick or even quicker than on 26" wheels. I did notice that I had to put a little more weight on the front end to keep the wheel down, possibly because of the slight head angle change with the bigger wheels. On the downhills the bigger wheels and/or change in head angle made for a positive difference. I didn't have to lean as far back and was able to keep more of my weight in the center of the bike which helped the front end track better. The bike also seemed to roll over larger rocks and roots easier allowing me to keep more speed in certain sections. In tight, twisty sections the biggest difference was that I didn't have to turn the bars as far to get it into turns. It took a little while to get used to it as I was over steering a little. I'm guessing because of the larger contact patch of the tire it grips into the dirt sooner.

Overall I was very pleased with the few rides I got in. I'm still not sure if it really was the greatness of 650b or because I wanted 650b to be great. But I have a feeling that I'm going to be getting a new wheel set soon!!

The Ride

Quick side by side comparison

26" front tire clearance, WTB 2.3 Bronson

650b front tire clearance, Pacenti 2.4 Mega-Moto

650b rear tire clearance, Pacenti 2.3 Neo-Moto

At full shock compression there is about 3mm of clearance

Shock under no load

Shock under full compression

the train keeps rollin
    Wouldn't the BB go up 1.5" give or take, that seems like a big jump?
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    ...actually it only goes up a little over .5 inch with the 650bs..but njsmith this cannot be at 13 inches on the static BB height? ( since with 26 wheels this LTa bike is at 13.8 in. (static BB height should be around 14.2" with your 130 fork height))

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My main bike is a Niner Sir9 SS and primarily race XC in the Midwest, but recently built up a Blur LT with a Velvet fork at 120mm travel and 650b wheels for a fun bike. I was terrified of the high bottom bracket, but after 10 hours or so of riding it I absolutely love the way it handles. I have a relatively light build at 26 lbs, but I beat the heck out of it and love it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I the higher BB didn't bother me at all. I had the shock Pushed and runs really plush now so the added BB height is negligible in my opinion.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    ...actually it only goes up a little over .5 inch with the 650bs..but njsmith this cannot be at 13 inches on the static BB height? ( since with 26 wheels this LTa bike is at 13.8 in. (static BB height should be around 14.2" with your 130 fork height))
    don't get it, unless the wheels are only 1/2" taller than the 26er wheels
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    don't get it, unless the wheels are only 1/2" taller than the 26er wheels
    Well it's only half the full diameter difference as it's from the center of the wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Morpheous, not meaning to be a PITA but I measured the bike again and to the bottom of the BB shell it's definitely 13inches. The middle of the spindle is around 13.75 inches (max) but no where near the 14.2 you suggest (the a-2-c at 130mm is 530mm, same as 140-150mm fox). I could take a picture to confirm but frankly, I didn't think people would think it that important!
    For the record, the blur lt2 works much better with plenty of sag both front and back so the issue of a high bb is irrelevant anyway.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    TeddyBallGame,

Looking forward to the MTBR review of the Mega-Moto.

Remember, that the tire you are riding is a pre-production sample. As it is, it requires expert-to-pro level handling skills to get the most out of it. That said, we have decided to add some more transition knobs in order to make it more user friendly intermediate lever riders. Really aggressive riders can always trim some knobs for greater drift and to tune the oversteer /understeer steer characteristics. (The pre-production samples tend to oversteer)

It's a very different design than what is available in from every other maker. It looks a bit funny at first, but it excels in off camber terrain and when you really commit to a turn and push it hard, this tire squares off corners like nothing I've ever ridden!

Off to do some more 'testing' right now!

Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njsmith View Post
    Morpheous, not meaning to be a PITA but I measured the bike again and to the bottom of the BB shell it's definitely 13inches. The middle of the spindle is around 13.75 inches (max) but no where near the 14.2 you suggest (the a-2-c at 130mm is 530mm, same as 140-150mm fox). I could take a picture to confirm but frankly, I didn't think people would think it that important!
    For the record, the blur lt2 works much better with plenty of sag both front and back so the issue of a high bb is irrelevant anyway.
    Interesting, would love to know what the actual BB height is with your original 26" wheelset. (SC lists that bike at 13.8" stock w/26" wheels, sounds like that is where you are after 650B.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This has got me really interested as a nice option on my LTc. I have never understood the issues with the supposed high BB on the LTc as i find i have a few pedal strikes every ride. I just went and measured my BB height and from floor to middle of spindle it sits at 340mm or 13.38"

Not sure how this is so. I am running a revelation 150mm with Specialized 2.2 tires on Crank Bros Iodines. Any ideas??

I will grab a few pics with the tape measure when i can but i am finding this rather perplexing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm interested in converting my Blur LT2(the straight steerer version) to 650b also.
    I just went and measured my BB height too and I'm measuring about 12-3/4" to the bottom of the BB shell and about 13-3/8" to the middle of the spindle so similar to what Damienp measured.
    I'm running a 150mm revelation(QR) with 2.2 Specialized captains front and back.
    The plan is to get a x-fusion velvet and build up a set of pacenti TL28 rims.
    In case I have rubbing issues with the back tire, how can I shim the shock to reduce travel? Do they sell spaces specifically made for this purpose and is this something I can install myself?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I'm interested in converting my Blur LT2(the straight steerer version) to 650b also.
    I just went and measured my BB height too and I'm measuring about 12-3/4" to the bottom of the BB shell and about 13-3/8" to the middle of the spindle so similar to what Damienp measured.
    I'm running a 150mm revelation(QR) with 2.2 Specialized captains front and back.
    The plan is to get a x-fusion velvet and build up a set of pacenti TL28 rims.
    In case I have rubbing issues with the back tire, how can I shim the shock to reduce travel? Do they sell spaces specifically made for this purpose and is this something I can install myself?
    I've been running the Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.35 tires front and rear without any rubbing so you shouldn't have an issue. However, if you do, there is a good writeup in this forum by a guy that had to limit rear travel on his Superlight. I believe he just cut out what you might consider a plastic washer (shim) from a plastic jar lid like you would get off a peanut butter jar or racquetball container. But search this forum and read his post to be certain.

Fred

mtbr member
    I have an alloy Blur LT- the last year they did 1 1/8 headset.

I am interested in changing it to 650b.

What do I need to do? I keep reading about inserting spacers.

I love 29 hardtail- and I really like Blur LT ride etc- It seems like most people like the ride. I want to try it.

mtbr member
    Depends on the fork...if it is compatible (FOX for example) then you need wheels...or spokes/rim/tires.

I have the same bike; I wish it had a tapered HT, to use the new 34mm forks coming, but otherwise, I couldn't be happier with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grouan View Post
    I have an alloy Blur LT- the last year they did 1 1/8 headset.

I am interested in changing it to 650b.

What do I need to do? I keep reading about inserting spacers.

I love 29 hardtail- and I really like Blur LT ride etc- It seems like most people like the ride. I want to try it.
    If the fork is a compatible one(most fox are, rockshox might not be) then its a simple matter of swapping out the wheels. If the fork is not compatible, you'll need a new fork.

The spacer is for the rear shock and only needed to reduce travel slightly if there is any rubbing. Some people say there is very minor rubbing, some people say there is no rubbing at all so really can't be sure until you have the wheel on the bike.

I have the same bike as you and I'm waiting for rims(TL28 or the chinese carbon) to be available to do the conversion.

mtbr member
    Damn, this thread has me looking for a Blur LT.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I 650'd by 2012 LT and didn't care for it. The bike already had a high-ish BB, with the conversion it was over 14" - not great for handling.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    The bike already had a high-ish BB, with the conversion it was over 14" - not great for handling.
    Noah, with all due respect, you are the first person I've seen say that the blur LT has a high bb...usually it is the opposite. For me, the higher bb was a benefit, since pedal strikes with the 26" wheels were common.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I 650'd by 2012 LT and didn't care for it. The bike already had a high-ish BB, with the conversion it was over 14" - not great for handling.
    What fork and how much travel did you have when you tried the 650b? If you lower the a to c value, that should lower the BB height slightly too right?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    What fork and how much travel did you have when you tried the 650b? If you lower the a to c value, that should lower the BB height slightly too right?
    White Brothers LOOP 140mm. You'd have to lower the travel a lot to really make a difference in BB height - that of course also means you'd have LESS TRAVEL (which would be a major tradeoff).

The only way I see the LT being a good conversion is with a custom length (shorter) rear shock - that would slacken the headangle and lower the BB. If you could do that without losing much travel and then match the front travel accordingly, it could be a pretty sweet ride.

People are digging the Blur TR 650'd, but I think the LT doesn't work out quite as sweet.

I'm honestly mostly over the 650b thing now that I have a Tallboy LT.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Thread revival!, I sold my Butcher and I have a Large 2011/12 BLUR LT2 carbon frame arriving next Friday, WIll post pics and measurements when I build it next weekend. I think this bike should be great for a 27.5" conversion. It will be interesting to see the actual BB numbers since it seems there is a discrepancy here......-Morph.

mtbr member
    Thread revival!, I sold my Butcher and I have a Large 2011/12 BLUR LT2 carbon frame arriving next Friday, WIll post pics and measurements when I build it next weekend. I think this bike should be great for a 27.5" conversion. It will be interesting to see the actual BB numbers since it seems there is a discrepancy here......-Morph.
    Rock on! What color did you get? I was literally just checking the SC site and saw the only one left is lime green.

mtbr member
    Lime Green coming. Love the color will go well against black wheels and fork. (May have to get a John Deere Decal)

mtbr member
    Lime Green coming. Love the color will go well against black wheels and fork. (May have to get a John Deere Decal)
    John Deere? I was thinking KX450.

mtbr member
    The trend these days seems to be for lower BB and longer TT lengths, which essentially lowers the center of gravity . . . which translates to a better handling bike.
    Maybe on smooth trails...but for rocks and roots many riders prefer a higher net sagged BB height to avoid pedal strikes for rough terrain.. static BB height numbers mean little in the real world.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Report back on what you find on the BB height. If possible please measure with 26 wheels, then again with 650b.
    I was almost ready to convert my Blur LTa but was kind of worried about the BB height issue. Then the SC VPLS happened and I picked up a TRc with the thought that the TRc is a better candidate for 650b because of the lower BB height.
    Still wondering how a 650b'ed LT would ride though.

mtbr member
    The BLUR LTc and the Butcher have the same static BB height listed (13.8), My butcher rode fine for my needs/terrain with the higher BB eliminating pedal strikes all together. I am only changing for the steeper head tube angle and carbon rigidity. The BLUR LTc should make for a good 650b ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thinking of 650bing my ltc, does anyone know wheather 2011 revelations clear 650b tyres ok ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    From what I've heard only the 2010 20mm Revelation will work and with a 2.3 Neo Moto on Stans Flows it only works if you keep the pressure at 35psi or less. Found that out when I mounted the tires tubeless and upped the psi when seating them.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Santa Cruz - are you paying attention?

mtbr member
    I measured the rear tire diameter on my LTc, 26.75". There is space in the rear triangle for half inch bigger diameter tire (27.25). Anything bigger than that and it's too tight for me. What is the benefit of going to 650B on this frame? Half an inch really makes any difference?

BTW BB height is 13.375" with Talas 150 (4mm less axle to crown than the SC geometry chart) and tires on the big size. How does Santa Cruz measure 13.8" BB height? Maybe with 650B

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bump! can anybody compare a 650b blur ltc with a tallbot ltc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    what are you guys getting for a bb height on a 650b blur ltc with a 36 float?

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hans Dampf 650b on the rear of an LT2?

I've looked all over the forums and cannot find an answer: Has anyone tried a Hans Dampf 2.35 on a Stans 650b ZTR Flow EX rim on the rear of an LT2? I have converted the front already and had no trouble fitting the Hans 2.35 in my Talas 36. But before I tear down my rear wheel and rebuild it with the 650b rim I'd really like to know if my tire of choice will fit. The Hans Dampf 2.35 is a pretty high volume tire. In case anyone is interested, I built the front wheel around an I9 Classic hub with Wheelsmith straight gauge spokes and brass nipples. I LOVE what this has done to the front end of my LT2 and am sort of considering keeping it a mutt - 650b front/26 rear.
    Have fun storming the castle!

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hans Dampf 650b x 2.35 on the rear of an LT2?

I've looked all over the forums and cannot find an answer: Has anyone tried a Hans Dampf 2.35 on a Stans 650b ZTR Flow EX rim on the rear of an LT2? I have converted the front already and had no trouble fitting the Hans 2.35 in my Talas 36. But before I tear down my rear wheel and rebuild it with the 650b rim I'd really like to know if my tire of choice will fit. The Hans Dampf 2.35 is a pretty high volume tire. In case anyone is interested, I built the front wheel around an I9 Classic hub with Wheelsmith straight gauge spokes and brass nipples. I LOVE what this has done to the front end of my LT2 and am sort of considering keeping it a mutt - 650b front/26 rear.
    Have fun storming the castle!

Members who have read this thread: 2