mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone tried both? New Bronson and SB5 V2?

Anyone tried both? I'd like your impressions and comparison as I will not be able to try them before buying. I have an old Nomad V1 and want something that will climb better in technical and steep trails without loosing too much in descending capabilities. I ride mostly technical trails, small jumps/drops, nothing extreme but many times quite steep where my Nomads front wanders quite a bit unless I sit almost on the front bars! Haha

I like the fact that the new SB5 is really good looking and can take up to 2.8 tires in the back plus it has glowing reviews for climbing but Bronson has a better warranty and the new one has a steeper seat tube so with 150mm of rear travel it could be as good as the SB5 going up and be better going down...

Any of you tried both before buying one or the other?

Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Are the two bikes comparable? I'm sure they are close, but isn't the 5010 closer in design objectives to the SB5? I am guessing the Bronson is a little more in the direction of the SB6. I have 2 SB5's, V1 and V2, but haven't ridden the Bronson, so I can't answer your question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    SB5 will likely climb better. IME it outclimbs the 5010 so I doubt the Bronson could do any better. You really gotta demo them yourself though. People approach steep tech climbs differently so one bike may better suit your style than another. Thus you gotta demo and see what differences exist.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    I've demoed the current Bronson, 5010, and SB5v2. The Bronson felt like the biggest bike if that makes any sense. Most planted, sturdy feeling, closest to the Nomads. The 5010 is on the other end of the spectrum. Very spritely, closer to a BMX bike than a downhill bike. The SB5 is somewhere in between the 5010 and Bronson imo. The SB5 and 5010 were closer on pedal feel/climbing. The Bronson pedals well too, but feels like it would be just a tad slower than SB5. This is only based on feel. But all these bikes will feel amazing compared to your Nomad. They will all climb really well and descend really well.

The deal breaker for me on the SB5c was no space for bottle cage on the inside of the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The point Bikeventures made about the no room for a bottle cage is the exact reason I took the Yet I off of my list. Its definitely a nice riding bike, but with the only option for a bottle being beneath the downtube, that just doesnt work for me.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For me, I was set on going with the SB5 because I'm trying to go down in travel from my Devinci Troy. Then I saw the small frame on the yeti and took it off my list. The small looks horrible. Now I'm looking at the 5010 but it just isn't checking all the boxes at this point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys, the more I read about the SB5 the more it seems to be the One for me! I just hope I wont miss the rear travel of my old Nomad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    For me, I was set on going with the SB5 because I'm trying to go down in travel from my Devinci Troy. Then I saw the small frame on the yeti and took it off my list. The small looks horrible. Now I'm looking at the 5010 but it just isn't checking all the boxes at this point.
    that small frame is awful! such a huge miss in my book!

mtbr member
    I've demoed all three I went with the Evil Calling Just a plain fun bike. I don't know what it is. It just fast fun. Climbs pretty well. The Yeti climbed better of the the three But off for the fit for me. Bottle cage was deal breaker also on SB 5 I also rode a Knolly Evndorphin and a Pivot Mach 5.5 were pretty close. All were pretty good bikes. Demo all the that you can, there all a bit of $$$.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain View Post
    I've demoed all three I went with the Evil Calling Just a plain fun bike. I don't know what it is. It just fast fun. Climbs pretty well. The Yeti climbed better of the the three But off for the fit for me. Bottle cage was deal breaker also on SB 5 I also rode a Knolly Evndorphin and a Pivot Mach 5.5 were pretty close. All were pretty good bikes. Demo all the that you can, there all a bit of $$$.
    The Calling is an interesting beast for me also but I discarted it because there are so many reviews that it's really not in the same league going up as most, SB5, Pivot 5.5, 5010, Bronson, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Rode both. Ended up on the Bronson. The Yeti seemed to blow through rear travel too easily for my riding style. Just did a race this past weekend on the Bronson that had 7mi of road before the single track portion and I didn't even lock out the suspension and never noticed any bobbing.