mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Anyone riding an Anthem 27.5 with 120 fork?

Im looking for an XC/trail steed that is fast enough to race but still fun and playful to thrash down technical trails with my buddies other times. I test rode an Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 and liked the bike generally except for two things: 1. the bottom bracket is VERY low and I experienced more pedal strikes in a 1 hour demo than I have in all my 12 years of mtbing, and 2. the head angle was a touch steep for me at 69.5 (im currently on a Pivot Mach 5.7 with 67.5 HA).

My thinking is that a 120 fork could fix both of these problems - slacken the head angle to ~68.5 and raise the BB about 8-10mm. The demo bike I rode has loads of head spacers so no problem to drop the bars so that the front end can still ride at the same height as the 100mm fork.

Anyone fitted a 120 fork to their Anthem 27.5? Care to share on how it rides relative to the 100 fork?

WillWorkForTrail
    That's how Adam Craig runs his.

mtbr member
    Try the Scott Spark 710. Has the angles you are looking for. !25 MM travel. Really light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've demoed the spark 740. I agree it has the geo im looking for, it handled great, was still playful, but the suspension action and feel was really inferior to my current DWlink bike and the anthems Maestro. On the spark I spent half my time flicking the CTD lever to adjust for trail conditions. With the DWlink and Maestro I almost never touched the propedal. That was a deal breaker for me with respect to the spark.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    search the threads. there are some people on here that have already done this with the factory forks. i don't know how its done but apparently you can get 120mm of travel out of them. a friend just bought a medium Anthem/650b and its pretty sweet. solid bike. i wouldn't be afraid to throw it around. 69hta would slack out a little more and give a little more bb height too.

mtbr member
    Have you considered the Turner Flux? The DW link is fantastic and Dave Turner's build quality is legendary. The Flux is designed to be a fast trail / XC bike... 120 mm.

Turner Bikes - Turner Bikes - Turner Flux

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    In searching the threads I found a couple of people mention the idea of increasing travel to 120, but no real comments on how it changed the bike or compared to 100mm. I was hoping those people might chime into this thread.

I'm also aware of the turner flux (and others such as rocky thunderbolt, norco fluid, Pyga Onetwenty) but here in Australia turners are super expensive and are only available through one sole trader (and I believe he is only carrying the Csar, but I assume could bring in a flux for me on special order). I'm also dubious of the long chain stays on the flux and the reviews I've found highlight this concern.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sukebe View Post
    In searching the threads I found a couple of people mention the idea of increasing travel to 120, but no real comments on how it changed the bike or compared to 100mm. I was hoping those people might chime into this thread.

I'm also aware of the turner flux (and others such as rocky thunderbolt, norco fluid, Pyga Onetwenty) but here in Australia turners are super expensive and are only available through one sole trader (and I believe he is only carrying the Csar, but I assume could bring in a flux for me on special order). I'm also dubious of the long chain stays on the flux and the reviews I've found highlight this concern.
    I have the anthem 3. 27.5. I was able to increase the travel from 100 to 120 by removing the spacer. The bb is low and I was hitting lots of rocks which is what promoted the increase in fork travel to 120. It put the bb at 12" which is still low for me but I have gotten used to it. As far as handling it slowed the steering a bit but not enough to cause any problems. It gave back in the technical trails and on the downhills. I will not be going back to the 100 setting. I love the bike with the only downside being the pedal smacks. I handles great and I can get on top of the bike and really push it in the corners. Much more responsive than a 29.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sukebe View Post
    I'm also dubious of the long chain stays on the flux and the reviews I've found highlight this concern.
    Those long stays are what allow you to over fork a flux w/o it jacking the geometry

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi Sukebe,

Did you end up putting putting a 120mm fork on a Anthem. Thinking of doing the same thing, ( putting a 120 Fox Float on an Advanced 27.5.1) so would be keen to hear the result. Wondered if any has any ideas or experience as to how it would compare to the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi shuxford, I don't have an anthem yet, was just trying to find out people's experience with a 120 fork. I got a very positive response from one other poster and Adam Craig (giant team rider) uses a 120 on an anthem for enduro riding. The rocky thunderbolt is another bike that really interests me, but I have demoed the element and did not like the suspension action and I would expect the thunderbolt to be similar. My main focus is getting a bike that will be more competitive than the pivot mach 5.7 in XC racing, but still be fun on technical trail riding get.

I have been in touch with giant and aired my concerns about the low bb and idea of a 120 fork, suggesting that for 2015 they should bring out an sx version anthem (like the trance has) with a 120 fork. They were little cagey with the response but I got the impression that it is in the works for 2015.

I have actually changed my line of thinking regarding an XC/trail bike and will likely build up a ChiTi hard tail around a 120 fork. After recently demoing one I was really taken by the feel of the titanium frame, and I like the idea of designing my own frame to fit me and my riding style.