mtbr member

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?

I wanted to share my most recent bike purchase. I haven't found any threads or posts about it and was trying to find others who have purchased or have interest in the Bikesdirect Gravity G27FIVE SS, it's a 650b 27.5 wheeled singlespeed rigid steel fork bike. I have had it a little more than a month now. I made a few minor upgrades I knew I wanted to do before I got the bike, here's what I did. I put a carbon seat post with FIZIK Antares saddle, white lock on grips, white platform pedals, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 tires. The bike weighs 25.98 lbs the way it sits. I bought this bike to hit the trails if I wanted to, take on family rides or riding to local businesses and pretty much anything else really. I usually buy Specialized, Cannondale road bikes and mtbs so this bike isn't the norm for me. This bike is very solid, it's a decent weight, easily upgradeable and definitely a lot of fun! I am so happy my final decision was this bike and couldn't ask for anything more. I did a lot of searching for the perfect bike for my needs. That's why I wanted to share this with anyone that was shopping for a bike with 650b/27.5" wheels, singlespeed, rigid steel fork and it tight budge. This bike is a safe bet and worth well more than what it cost. Bikesdirect also just sent me an email that by fall they will have a dozen 650b 27.5" bikes, and by spring they will have twenty. So anyone interested or who has this bike let me know and post some pics or yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130831_170325.jpg  

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130822_223520.jpg  

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130822_214837.jpg  

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130822_201031.jpg  

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130831_005334.jpg  

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130831_014248.jpg  

Last edited by echefanthony; 09-02-2013 at 01:08 AM.

mtbr member
    That looks really nice! The pictures on the website does not do it justice. I'm looking for an inexpensive 650b single speed bike and this is definitely on my short list.

Can you give a more detailed review? Do you know what the BB height is? How do the brakes perform? How much room do you have in the rear for a larger tire? I'd like to run as big of tires as I can.

How much tuning up did you have to do out of the box?
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Cannondale Bad Habit
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member

Listen!

Thanks, and BB height I don't know.
    I have Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 tires and there is room for wider ones.
    I would change out the brakes for any hard riding, but they are fine for commuting or anything light.
    It took me about 15 min to get the bike together out of the box.
    It didn't need any tuning at all, it was really put together very nicely.
    I have attached pics to help with the room for fatter tires on
    Let me know if this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130902_014916.jpg  

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-img_20130822_225132.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have had one of these (in white to) for a couple months. And for the price I am very happy. I bought it as a cheap bike to ride around town on.The brakes...leave a lot to be desired but they do the job. I had tried to set my wheels up as ghetto tubeless...then with stans liner, and these wheels did not like to stay sealed up at all. So I through the towel in and just bought a set of WTB wheels. My bike is a 17" and feels very short to me, I might try a lay-back seatpost or longer stem to see. I just feel like im sitting way to upright.

Out of the box with DB pedals mine weighed in at 27.5 lbs(yeah funny). Wheels and tubeless setup dropped over 2lbs off the bike. This thing might get a carbon for or a suspension fork. I have not ridden a rigid aluminum bike (for 20+ years)...but bombing around town on this the front is a bit to rough for me.

All said and done I think the bike is well worth the money, and have actually thought about picking up a second one for my kids.

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I bought it for. It has been a lot of fun and. every time I ride it I don't want to get off.

I have a Cannondale Supersix for road and just wanted something I could use with the family, and it's perfect for that but I do like taking it on some light trails. I really wanted to try the 650b and singlespeed and at this price it was a no brainer with this bike.

I would agree with you on the brakes they are definitely not that good, especially when I'm going from my Supersix which stops on a dime
    I dropped about a little more than a 1.5lbs when I changed out the pedals, saddle, and tires.
    If I start doing anything more hardcore I would change the wheels too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post
    That's exactly what I bought it for. It has been a lot of fun and every time I ride it I don't want to get off.
    So anyone else have this bike or been looking to buy one?

mtbr member
    I'm very interested but want to see some reviews on how it rides on the trail. Anybody with experience care to provide feedback on how it performs on the trails?
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Cannondale Bad Habit
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Most of the trails are way to rough for me to be willing to ride this bike stock. I just received my White Racing Carbon fork...so now I might be willing to try a bit of trail riding with it.

mtbr member
    Do you have any pics of the bike with the fork yet? I was looking at putting a carbon fork on mine for weight savings and a better ride, so I'm pretty interested in some info of yours. How much did you pay and where did you get it from? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I have yet to ride it with this new fork on it. Its a shorter White Brothers fork I found used on ebay for $165. The stock fork weighs a bunch compared to this fork, 1.3 lbs heavier I think it was. As the bike sits now its 24 lbs even...from 27.5 lbs stock. At this point its no longer a cheap beater bike...brakes, bars, stem, and seat post will be upgraded at some point.

Do I think this bikes needs all the upgrades...hell no, for the $350 this bike cost its a fine bike...I just have a bit of the upgrade bug when it comes to anything I own.

mtbr member
    I like

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seventeen mile ride today, just roads, paths and sidewalks. I like this fork a lot. My only real complaint with the bike now is the brakes, not sure but I just might upgrade them to BB7. I really like this fork a lot smooths out the ride for sure. I think its combo of being lighter so I can lift the front easier and fact its carbon fiber. I had about 40 thorns between the tires...and this was the whole reason for going tubeless. Remove thorns, air them back up and good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I got one of these a few months back and use it exclusively for fairly aggressive singletrack. I think it is a great bike for the price with some heavy components. I immediately put on a lighter post and saddle I had from a previous bike. I switched the small block tires for nevegals (2.35 front 2.2 rear) The stock tires were not gripping the trails I ride. I put carbon handlebars on it that I got off ebay for $30 and switched to cushier silicone grips. I'm looking for a used carbon fork and possibly a lighter stem to keep lightening up the front end.

mtbr member
    Very nice, I have similar upgrades to mine and use it for just about everything. I knew before the bike even arrived what I wanted to do to it, very easy bike to upgrade and get a 100% functional commuter, singletrack, trail bike that is so much fun! I want to do the carbon fork too, but I'm having trouble finding one at a price I'm ok with. Anyway do you have any pics, if so get some up here I would like to see how it came out. In the meantime enjoy yours, have fun, and be safe.

Name:  IMG_20130902_033806.jpg
Views: 11634
Size:  95.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zdaw73 View Post
    I got one of these a few months back and use it exclusively for fairly aggressive singletrack. I think it is a great bike for the price with some heavy components. I immediately put on a lighter post and saddle I had from a previous bike. I switched the small block tires for nevegals (2.35 front 2.2 rear) The stock tires were not gripping the trails I ride. I put carbon handlebars on it that I got off ebay for $30 and switched to cushier silicone grips. I'm looking for a used carbon fork and possibly a lighter stem to keep lightening up the front end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's the bike with an old synchros aluminum post, satellite saddle, and pedals from my old GT, and Truvativ noir carbon 680mm handlebars with cushier silicone grips. measured the axle to crown of the stock fork and it is 425mm so I'll probably be looking for a used carbon fork off a 26", most 29er forks seem to be around 465 and I don't want to jack the front end up that much.
    Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5" singlespeed rigid mtb?-dsc_0574.jpg

mtbr member
    that has to be more out there

mtbr member
    According to UPS. Mine will be here tomorrow. 21"/White. I'll post some pics when it arrives.
    2002 Schwinn Aluminum Comp. Beater.
    2009 Gary Fisher Utopia - Commuter.
    2009 Trek 1.2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post
    Very nice, I have similar upgrades to mine and use it for just about everything. I knew before the bike even arrived what I wanted to do to it, very easy bike to upgrade and get a 100% functional commuter, singletrack, trail bike that is so much fun! I want to do the carbon fork too, but I'm having trouble finding one at a price I'm ok with. Anyway do you have any pics, if so get some up here I would like to see how it came out. In the meantime enjoy yours, have fun, and be safe.
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>

Name:  IMG_20130902_033806.jpg
Views: 11634
Size:  95.7 KB
    great looking ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    All hell broke loose upgrading my bike...as soon as my new brakes show up I will take some more pics. Right now it sits at 23.7 lbs with stock brakes. Only stock items that will be left are the frame, cranks, headset and seatclamp.

mtbr member

New Gravity Ssp link Limited Sz selection closeout

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket_Rocket View Post
    It this the right link?
    As of today email, this looks to be it: Save up to 60% off new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes

Pretty sure I;d rather have the RIdid fork than a Cheap Suntour, but I've got rigids laying around. Bummer the limited selection of Ssp 650b frames. I'm tryinng to wait for the Ti Kona, but I do like the sliders on the Gravity. Can anyone talk about using/adjusting the chain tension. I've never used sliding dropout, but I've heard lots of peeps complaining about them?
    . Later, mike
    . www.geekonabike.webs.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The rigid fork that the bike comes with is very heavy. I switched mine out for a carbon fork along with used carbon bars and seatpost off of ebay. It lightened the bike considerably and added some comfort and front end manueverability.
    I haven't had too much trouble with the sliders. I found them a little tricky at first. Once things are aligned well just tighten the hell out of the axle nuts and forget about it.

mtbr member
    So I've been riding my Gravity 27FIVE SS for a while now and honestly couldn't be happier with the bike. There's still some things that I'd like to upgrade like to a carbon fork and possibly wheels. Stock it's a solid bike that can't be beat in this price point, but it's pretty heavy and those are things I'm changing. Since getting this bike I picked up a Specialized Allez Comp smartweld and have been riding that a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I had used this in my past.Gravity has really dialed in a race-proven geometry into this phenomenal ride. The handling is very responsive and yet stable. Singletrack and switchbacks are all handled with ease. Slow speed and high speed, technical and flat-out hammering, you will go faster because this bike is so capable. If you love the ride of the 29er bikes like the Gary Fisher Marlin, Cobia or Mamba; you will love the ride of this Gravity 27FIVE SS bike as it will be more nimble and roll about as well. All the best!

mtbr member
    Is the Gravity 27.5 SS comparable to the Nashbar Bee's Knees 27.5?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    Is the Gravity 27.5 SS comparable to the Nashbar Bee's Knees 27.5?
    Yes they are very close and comparable, I like the Gravity 27FIVE SS but I have one and can't speak for the nashbar.

mtbr member
    You've got a cool looking bike. The website doesn't do the bike justice. The Bee's Knees is $499, so I guess the $150 saved could go into a couple small upgrades. The thought of $350 to get into a singlespeed and 27.5 bike is intriguing!
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    You've got a cool looking bike. The website doesn't do the bike justice. The Bee's Knees is $499, so I guess the $150 saved could go into a couple small upgrades. The thought of $350 to get into a singlespeed and 27.5 bike is intriguing!
    Thanks, I was thinking the same thing as you are and I couldn't be happier with this bike. I threw about another $125-150 with some nice upgrades and it's been awesome ever since. So for around $500 a 27.5 singlespeed upgraded the way I you want how could you go wrong?

mtbr member

My New Gravity 27.5 SS

I was looking online for a SS 27.5 and came across the Gravity 27.5 SS... and this thread. The positive comments about the Gravity 27.5 SS in this thread helped convince me to buy one. I put it together tonight, took it for a spin, and I love this bike! I can't wait to hit the trails with it! I've ordered some Kenda Slant Six 2.1 inch tires for it... added Deity compound pedals, Ergon GE1 grips, Planet Bike water bottle cage, and Timbuk2 seat pack

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5&quot; singlespeed rigid mtb?-photo-0039.jpg

mtbr member

A couple of photos from my ride today...

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5&quot; singlespeed rigid mtb?-photo-0042.jpg

Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5&quot; singlespeed rigid mtb?-photo-0047.jpg

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    everyone liking these? i was thinking about picking one up as a winter beater. how much clearance is there on the frame/fork? i want to fit a fairly fat tire if possible
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member

Tire clearance

Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    everyone liking these? i was thinking about picking one up as a winter beater. how much clearance is there on the frame/fork? i want to fit a fairly fat tire if possible
    There's a 3" clearance in the front and a 2.5" clearance in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    All of these pictures and making me want to buy one. How do you all feel about the durability of this bike? I'm a pretty tall guy and tend to be somewhat hard on my bikes. Can these things take some abuse?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

same question

Quote Originally Posted by A J MacDonald Jr View Post
    There's a 3" clearance in the front and a 2.5" clearance in the rear.

Hey I had the same question...are you saying that is the max tire you can fit for front and back? Or is that the actual width between the frame stays and fork blades? Are you referring to the height also? Could you measure those for me, actual widths, with wheels out? That would be superb.

I was thinking of 26" wheels and wondering the widest tire to fit the frame and fork with a little room to spare, for a mini fat bike for the winter, on the "cheap". Don't think the tire height would be an issue with the smaller wheel.

mtbr member
    That's the actual measured fork and chainstay widths. I'm running 2.1 inch tires now but could run something slightly wider.

mtbr member
    My bikes been taking some pretty good hits and is holding up well. I was concerned about the no name wheels the bike comes with but they are doing well. I've been running into and over a lot of rocks where I ride and the wheels seem to be able to take the abuse.

mtbr member

Wink The Gravity is fun in the snow!

The Gravity in fun in the snow! I've got 2.1 inch Kenda Slant Six tires on it and it's got good traction on the trails in the snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5&quot; singlespeed rigid mtb?-100_0002-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    New to the Forum.. First post here..
    Just picked up a gently used 27five FS single speed, 250 USD. Mostly stock, so it appears.. It has a set of WTB Wolverine 2.2's front and back. Anyone know if these came stock on the initial models? I'm under the impression these bikes are not that old? I thought these came stock with Kenda Small Blocks. I would like to set the WTB's up tubeless (ghetto or Gorilla) and ultimately drop the Suntour fork for a fixed carbon fork. Anyone have experience doing a tubeless setup with the WTB Wolverine 2.2's on the stock wheels?? I've so far got the stock brakes tuned reasonably well. More to come..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My bike came with the small blocks. I switched to more aggressive tires after a couple of rides. I haven't tried tubeless, though I am planning on upgrading the wheels pretty soon and going tubeless then. I'm not sure if I would try it with the stock wheels. I did replace the stock cromo fork with a carbon fork and that made a significant difference, both in weight and handling. It has been a great bike to try (and love) rigid singlespeed and play around with upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Zda73, can you share the make and model of the carbon fork you mounted?

livin' the dream......
    I have been considering this bike too, and glad to read the good feed back. I have purchased a road bike from Bikes Direct, and it could not be easier. I had the bike ride ready in 30 minutes from when the UPS truck took off!

As far as the Gravity. I notice the full bolt vs. a QR. Can this be swapped out or is a must for this type of wheel? If you are 'stuck' with it, you must carry the correct (bulky tools) with you to deal with a flat on the trail. Right? Or am I over thinking that?

I did see an orange gravity SS in the wild over the summer, it was 29er and the guy did some nice upgrades to it. I am really considering this as I want a SS with out breaking the bank! Looking at Salsa El Mariachi, Kona Unit and Breezer Thunder One, but all are $1,100 -$1,500 rigs.

Keep the feedback coming!
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Still tuning and upgrading my gently used 27five FS single speed.. haven't done much riding on it yet. But I can add that I successfully setup the stock wheel tubeless with the used WTB Wolverine 2.2's that came on the bike. It was a bit tricky since the tires weren't new but once inflated they're holding air perfectly after 48 hours. I opted for a single pass of Gorilla tape (for good measure) and then the standard ghetto tubeless with a 20' Schrader valves BMX tube. Looking for a wider handlebar, new pedals and grips before I get it on the trails. Super excited to ride this and having fun tuning/modifying the bike. Can't wait to dump the suntour fork for a carbon rigid. Anyone have suggestions for a low budget 27.5 carbon fork for this bike? Zda73?

As for the bolt on wheels - I don't know of an obvious way to convert to QR without going to a new wheel/hub. I don't plan on doing long epics with this bike (more like local trails close to home) so any mechanicals will only render a short walk home. We have thorny bushes on our local trails so that's the key reason I ride tubeless.

The Gravity GS29 looks like an awesome choice! It was my preferred option but then found a good deal on the 27.5 FS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Also curious about the carbon fork of choice. I am between this and the deadeye monster (SS fat bike of similar caliper to this 650b) for re-fitting as a light-as-possible kick around/hop on and ride sort of bike. 25 lbs with "only" a carbon post and whatnot seems excellent. I was also considering a used SID shock... but that might be overkill. Anyone else do a carbonizeation of this bike?

mtbr member
    Search eBay for eXotic rigid fork, best fork value going.
    . Later, mike
    . www.geekonabike.webs.com

Suffering Mightily
    I bought one of these for my teenage son and he has taken much interest, but I sure have. I have a $$$$ 29er rigid SS that weighs 20lbs, but I find myself riding this little bike all of the time. For $349, it can't be beat.
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi, first post in the forum. How is the chain tension on this bike? I noticed a lot of folks on the Gravity 29 SS forum talking about poor tensioners coming with the bike and the need to use modified Redline tensioners and other tweaks. Has anyone experienced similar issues with the 27Five? I'm looking at this bike vs a Redline Monocog and I'd rather ride the 27.5 wheels. I'm coming from a failed SS conversion of a 97 Rockhopper - too much maintenance to keep the chain taunt. So if I'm buying a bike built for SS I want to make sure chain tension isn't an issue. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member

Chain tug

Quote Originally Posted by Dantesays View Post
    How is the chain tension on this bike?
    The chain tug the bike comes with does what it's supposed to do: create and hold the proper chain tension. I've had no problems with it. Works well.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for that info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi! Was the fork designed for a 26"? I'm not sure what fork to get as I'm confused by the lengths. I just upgraded the wheels/tires to Stan's podiums w/ schwalbe tires and it is AWESOME! Really dropped weight, so now I'm deciding what other upgrades to do. Mine is the 13" and it is so much fun!! I'm also putting on new xt hydraulic brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Question on wheels.

To upgrade I can just buy any 650b wheelset. but then I am stuck using a QR? how does a QR work with a SS, can it be tight enough on the rear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    Question on wheels.

To upgrade I can just buy any 650b wheelset. but then I am stuck using a QR? how does a QR work with a SS, can it be tight enough on the rear?
    I just put on some super cool Stan's Podiums and they are quick release. We had some reservations as to whether or not the rear would be tight enough, but so far, so good! The wheels/tires/rotors took a couple pounds off the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how wide of a 26" tire would fit on the Gravity 27FIVE SS? Would Surly Knard 26x3's fit? If so, would it be an easy switch out? Looking to build up a 26+ bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbunyan View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how wide of a 26" tire would fit on the Gravity 27FIVE SS? Would Surly Knard 26x3's fit? If so, would it be an easy switch out? Looking to build up a 26+ bike.

Thanks!
    on another forum I heard 2.4 max, but that was for 27.5.
    The Deadeye gravity SS fits up to 26x 3.5 rear and 3.8 front. Already comes with 50mm rims. and is $299. Crank is different than the 27five ss though.

consumes mass quantities
    I recently picked up a Gravity 27.5 single speed and have been riding it for the past 3 days straight.
    I can't believe the level of quality that this bike is for only $349 shipped!
    I mean, it has it's drawbacks: nutted hubs instead of quick release, mechanical disc brakes that leave a lot to be desired, overall low-end group set...BUT what it does feature is good geometry, decent weight and a great platform to build upon.
    Today I performed some mods using spare parts and parts robbed from my yet-again cracked-frame Cannondale 29er: Niner carbon seat post, Specialized Riva saddle, Specialized stem, Hope seat post clamp and steerer tube shim, Specialized grips, Race Face 32t chain ring, older Crank Bros. Candy pedals, Incredibell and a bottle cage.
    It now weighs in at 29 lbs (XL size frame) and should be even more fun to ride.
    The last thing I can see doing is a swap to tubeless tires and/or quick release wheels AND tubeless tires.
    All in all, this is a great bike for the money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5&quot; singlespeed rigid mtb?-cam02133.jpg  

'15 Gravity 27.5 ss rigid / '13 Cannondale CAAD 8 -/ '15 Cannondale F29 1x9 / '11 Specialized P1

mtbr member
    How well do those wheels hold up? I understand that they are both heavy and cheap, but I just want them to hold up, and not break a ton of spokes.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

consumes mass quantities
    Well, I'm 240+ lbs and have put probably a couple hundred miles on the bike since I bought it and the wheels are still true and seem to be holding up well.
    Considering it's a rigid, they must be decent enough quality.
    '15 Gravity 27.5 ss rigid / '13 Cannondale CAAD 8 -/ '15 Cannondale F29 1x9 / '11 Specialized P1

consumes mass quantities
    To update on the wheels...I just broke 2 spokes on the rear, disc side and went to my LBS and got replacements plus a couple of spares. I'm thinking if two broke then more are going to go the same way soon.
    Time to shop for a better wheel set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi Ya'll...newbie here. I just want to share my new 27Fives that I bought 3 weeks ago. First of all I would like to thank all the MTBRer that posted and give advice on choosing this bike. It is a big contribution on making a decision to purchase this bike. The ride is smooth and the built is soo light. I made a minor upgrades/modification on the parts though. Happy riding ya'll
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Gravity 650b 27.5&quot; singlespeed rigid mtb?-mtb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Max Tire Width

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    on another forum I heard 2.4 max, but that was for 27.5....
    I recently bent my Bianchi SASS frame and am thinking about buying a Gravity 27FIVE SS for the frame as a replacement. My main concern is with max tire size. I currently run Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Rear and Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Front. Can anyone confirm that i can squeeze that rubber in? Thanks.

consumes mass quantities
    I ran WTB Bee Line 2.2s on my Gravity 27.5 and had plenty of room up front and a little more clearance in the back, so maybe a 2.4 would fit in the rear.

By comparison, I currently run Conti X-King 2.4s on my Cannondale SS and there's room to spare between the tire and the chain stays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Sorry for the thread resurrection...
    I'm considering getting the Gravity 27FIVE SS, but I'm not sure what size would be best for me, hoping some of the current owners of this bike can give me some suggestions.

I'm 5'7 tall, 31.5 inseam. Online sizing tools seem to point to the 17'' frame on this bike, however Bike Direct's sizing guide suggests the 15.5'' frame for riders up to 5'8 and the 17'' one for 5'8+

Based on your own experience with the bike, what do you think would be the best fit for me?

Thanks!

consumes mass quantities
    Quote Originally Posted by calimero View Post
    Sorry for the thread resurrection...
    I'm considering getting the Gravity 27FIVE SS, but I'm not sure what size would be best for me, hoping some of the current owners of this bike can give me some suggestions.

I'm 5'7 tall, 31.5 inseam. Online sizing tools seem to point to the 17'' frame on this bike, however Bike Direct's sizing guide suggests the 15.5'' frame for riders up to 5'8 and the 17'' one for 5'8+

Based on your own experience with the bike, what do you think would be the best fit for me?

Thanks!
    After a few rides I slowly discovered that the cockpit was too small for me and the XL frame could have been a little larger.
    I changed stems and bars and seat posts before I sold the bike in an effort to try and stretch things out a bit.
    Both my Cannondale frames fit me perfectly, so I think Gravity runs their frames a little small.
    That said, you might be wise to go for the 17"