mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Anyone go from 27.5 to 29 and end up back on 27.5?

I had a 2015 Trek Fuel EX 27.5 and loved it but the 18.5 frame was a bit small. I bought a 2017 Fuel EX 29er and it's been an awesome bike, much more capable than the travel numbers suggest, but I find myself missing the agility of the smaller wheels and am really drawn to the Remedy. I don't do any XC racing, and really ride uphill just to come down. I ride pretty much everything from easy green trails to the occasional double black downhill run. I like to jump, ride technical trails and make a few trips to the bike park every year. I'm just wondering if anyone else has switched and missed the smaller wheels and switched back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I went from a FS 26" to a 29" hardtail - after 2.5 years on it, I'm still not 100% vibe-ing the 29er ride. I am 5'8 with a 30" inseam so maybe that has something to do with it. My next bike will be a FS 27.5, which for my size and riding conditions (similar to yours) - is a better option in my opinion.

tire to rim ratio tester
    No but if it's worth anything I went from a 27.5" back to a 26" (frame cracked on the larger bike) and now I'm back to 27.5" most of the time. It's the perfect size and performance for someone 5'8" or 5'9", 17 inch frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just went thru this but I was just on the wrong bike. Went from 26er Anthem(that I loved before I broke the frame), to 29er FSI hardtail, back to a Anthem but in 27.5. I love the ride of he Anthem in the smaller wheel sizes. I even skipped on the Anthem 29er in favor of the 26er when I first bought it. After riding and tweeting a hardail 29er for a year, I finally gave up and got a full suspension 27.5. I love the agility of the smaller wheels and appreciate the rear suspension again. I'll never say never, but right now, I have no desire to go back to a 29er. I have not ridden one that I was all that crazy about. They just aren't fun to me. And I'm 6'2", go figure.

Rides all the bikes!
    The wheels don't make the bike, the bike makes the wheels. Doesn't matter what the wheel size is if the geometry sucks.

My last purchase is a 160mm Enduro with 29. It descends better then my 130mm 650b, but that has nothing to do with the wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been on 29ers since 2012 and recently picked up a 650b Scott spark. I love the new bike, quick, fun, has that old 26er feel that seems to have stuck with me. The rougher the climb and the worse the traction, the 29er wins though. The smoother and twistier the trails, I'll take the 650B. 6'3" so I'm a textbook 29 rider but prefer the 650B because I really prefer riding terrain where it excels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    The wheels don't make the bike, the bike makes the wheels. Doesn't matter what the wheel size is if the geometry sucks.

My last purchase is a 160mm Enduro with 29. It descends better then my 130mm 650b, but that has nothing to do with the wheels.

Sums it nicely. Also, if you have ridden a newer 29er, then you should. I was on 29er, got talked into a 27.5, lasted a few rides and back to a 29er.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Went from 26" FS to 29" HT six years ago. Did not dig the 29 HT so upgraded it to 29FS. Missed the agility and fun of smaller wheels. This is my first year on 27.5 and loving it. I am glad that I kept all the bikes thou. Some trails I will ride 29. However my bike to go is 27.5 Mach 4C.

mtbr member
    I like both the 27.5 and 29er. The both have different handling characteristics and prefer them on different kinds of trails. The best would be having a bike that can fit both size wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just get a set of 27.5 wheels for your F-EX. Then you have the best of both worlds and can swap back and forth depending on where you're riding that day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Just get a set of 27.5 wheels for your F-EX. Then you have the best of both worlds and can swap back and forth depending on where you're riding that day.
    Not worth the hassle or messing with the geometry

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not exactly a great idea.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wasn't at home on a the true 29er XC bikes from 5 years ago and I decided to go to one of the trailish XC bikes. It was easy to find light weight 27.5 120mm slack hardtails like a jamis dragon but you couldn't find the 29ers like this at the time and if you did they cost a lot more because they were running a high end trail fork with thicker stanctions. 120mm 29er forks flex more than 27.5 120mm forks because they are longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Not exactly a great idea.
    Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but I'm curious why it's a bad idea? The F-ex is listed as 29er or B+(and sold as both ways), so why would an extra set of wheels be bad?

NedwannaB
    Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but I'm curious why it's a bad idea? The F-ex is listed as 29er or B+(and sold as both ways), so why would an extra set of wheels be bad?
    Good analogy but in all fairness you didn't promote + in your first post. Tho they do provide some positives over the 29r setup but the plus tires may not provide the end result wanted on the trail.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    @notso you didn't refer to 27.5 plus in your first post and the OP didn't mention 27.5 plus. This is a much different discussion. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For me it was more about geometry than wheel size. I wanted a short chain stay, slack hta, and 120mm of travel and 27.5 hits the nail on the head. If you go into any giant or jamis dealer you can find that. If you go into a lot of the 29er dealers that is tough to find.