Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another 650b question.

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  vizsladog 
#1 ·
I got the green light from the wife for a new bike.

My Tallboy Carbon is three years old and set to retire.

Has anyone gone from a 29er to 650b? If so what did you think?

I was originally going to buy a Tallboy LT but now I am thinking about a Intense Carbine 275.

I always loved the plush suspension of my Tracer before I got the Tallboy. Of course I love the Tallboy I currently own now. I guess I am looking for something that kind of blends the two.

Looking forward to your responses.

#2 ·
Does your riding and common trails dictate the change to 140mm travel or is it just the next step? I have a TBLTc and love it, but I don't ride it really now that I have a 650b.......I am 5'9" and @ 190lbs give or take a fin and I ride hard so the flex and wheel size was always just a LITTLE more than I wanted and I have found that the 650b is the compromise for me....My carbine is a good bike, my TBLTc is a great bike, and my remedy 650b is really the best I have ridden yet. Hope this helps.

Also I should mention that I have ridden all three wheels sizes alot in the recent 3-4 years....but on any given day now I really don't see me going to 26 or 29 unless it is for DH for the former and xc fire roads for the latter....Do you have the shops around you that will let you try them both? you know what I am going to say next......

#5 ·
Must admit I agree with your choice

I have decided that having spent the last three years on 29ers that I would stick with the wheel size and go with the Tallboy LT.
I would have done the same. Been riding a mix of my old 26" and a hardtail 29". Recently did a conversion to the 650b and for me it will be hard to replace the 29er. Just too many advantages to the bigger wheel IMO. I like the idea of having all the bikes in the quiver and picking certain ones for certain trails but if going with just one bike the 29er would be it for me.

#12 ·
I had a WFO9 with 140mm travel. It was nice but it was a little difficult to loft the front wheel and a bit cumbersome on technical climbs. For an all mountain do everything bike, I think 650B with 160mm travel would be the best compromise. That's where I'd be spending my money if I had any... Either an Intense 275 Tracer or a Ventana Zeus with a Fox fork.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.