mtbr member

Ahs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?

I know the older rushs and prohets would convert with no mods but will the news bikes???

mtbr member
    Also interested to know.
    Tomorrow i'll try to have some measurements

mtbr member
    Cool

mtbr member
    Ok, yesterday night went to the garage, and took my measure tape.
    At the moment, I've got a Kenda Navegal 2.1 UST at the rear, measuring something like 660 mm.
    When I place some bolts that I had at hand, I only measure a <10mm gap.
    That would give only 680mm diameter, and since 650B is 700 (including gap)... I would say that's a no go modif!
    Nevertheless I'll take out the wheel, make a template of the 650b, and double check - hope I have the time this weekend.
    pictures soon...

2.0 x 650b diam: 672.6 mm
    2.1 x 650b diam: 677.7 mm

there is still hope, although I think that there will be a very tight gap, meaning no muddy riding!
    Last edited by Tkul; 08-17-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: correction of 650 diam.

derp
    Are you sure ? My 2.0 Quasi-Moto is exactly 680mm ( ZTR Crest ) and the 2.25 RaRas are around 693mm on some Pacenti TL28s.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    no, i'm not sure. Those measurements were taken using a site which calculate diam using the dimension of the tire.

Thanks on those measurements. If 680 can be installed (need to verify tomorrow) it will be a tight fit.
    On your bikes how much clearence you have (side and diameter)?

Obrigado Daniel!

mtbr member
    using a small wooden block simulating a 680 outer diameter wheel, there's a gap over 5mm and under 6mm (used alen keys).

Using Daniel's measurements:
    2.0 Quasi-Moto is exactly 680mm ( ZTR Crest ) - FIT
    2.25 RaRas are around 693mm on some Pacenti TL28s - DON'T FIT

Personally I would go only front on this frame, but if it fitted, it would make a fantastic bike!

mtbr member
    my 2010 rz120 doesn't fit with 650b. i sold the frame and built a new bike with 650b front and rear.
    for the front i took the lefty ultra pbr alloy with 120mm. it was not necsessary to travel or space it. works great!
    excuse my bad english, this is not my native language ... I'll try to improve!
    greetings from...Austria

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a chance to purchase a C-dale RZ120 but would like to convert it to 650b. Can any one else confirm that a 650b wheel will not fit in the rear?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    hi!, I did it. By spanish company (bicisolución). They cut and enlarge the chain stay (alumnium) and sea stay (carbono). And paint like you want (in my case the 2016 habit colours). It looks nice and works like never ever before!!, I´m in love with my renewed bike...Ahs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-sin-t-tulo-2.jpgAhs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-img_4234.jpgAhs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-img_4233.jpgAhs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-img_4224.jpgAhs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-img_4223.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvfrankie View Post
    hi!, I did it. By spanish company (bicisolución). They cut and enlarge the chain stay (alumnium) and sea stay (carbono). And paint like you want (in my case the 2016 habit colours). It looks nice and works like never ever before!!, I´m in love with my renewed bike...
    Sorry for the thread resuscitation after 2 years

That looks interesting !
    Very well done !
    Can you explain what was done exactly ?
    The swingarm has been lengthened ?
    Because there doesn't only lacks some space for the tire "inside" the arm, but when the suspension is pushed, the tire touches the seat tube.
    What tire have you fitted ? Does it come close to the seat tube at the end of the suspension travel ?
    If I may ask, what is the cost of the modification (excl. painting) ?
    I was just thinking of selling my Rize carbon ... I have considered converting it to 650b for a long time but came unfortunately to the conclusion that it was impossible... (at least with decent tire volume). With such modifications, I may keep it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There are some 26+ tires out there now. This may be a better option for a bicycle like that. Get some 30mmid rims and some 2.6 tires for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've considered this option too.
    But that's the same problem as for 27.5" : there isn't enough room in the swingarm, and enough clearance with the seat tube at the end of the suspension travel.
    Currently, this bike is fitted at the rear with a Continental Speedking 2.2, a tyre with very big volume (but little knobs). That's almost the size limit regarding these 2 latter limitations.
    But anyway, I should double check this with the verified dimensions of 26+ tyres : maybe the size increase is more in width than in diameter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What are you trying to gain from the tires? I would think that something like 2.35 barzos would be perect for a bicycle like the rz120 and the bike itself wouldn't give up much of anything to newer bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd like mainly a bigger diameter. Width is already OK : a big 2.2 at the rear and a 2.4 at the front, although I'd be happy with some extra volume if possible.
    My RZ is not a 120, it's a 140 (carbon). Indeed a very competent bike when it comes to going down !

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All that would really do is raise the bottom bracket half an inch. I would just use 26" tires if I was you. There are some nice tires that have come on out since 27.5 and 29er became popular.

I'm with stupid
    I just say this thread pop up and man so I miss my Rize, the if not one of the best all around bikes I have ridden. Weighed next to nothing, fast, playfull and nimble. I have tried to finds its equal in 27.5 but cannot so far. One of the best bikes that some how got very little press.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Indeed, my Rize is a great allrounder and it weights approx 10,5kg (without dropper post), that's great for a 140mm full susp.
    But on the other hand, I am convinced by the advantages of bigger wheels...
    BB higher by 12,5mm seems not a big deal for me... ?

I thought the Habit fills the bill, but I've never ridden one...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You may consider a new wider set of carbon wheels with a nice hub and make sure you have a nice set of brakes. You will likely have to remove travel from the fork to go to 27.5. These bikes still sell for a grand on eBay for a reason, they are really good as they are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, I know for the front travel, but that's only a 12,5mm increase in tyre radius, so a drop from 140mm to 130mm-ish is not a drama.
    Here are shots of the tyre clearance at the rear now
    Ahs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-d-gagement-pneu-arr-1.jpg Ahs anyone convrted a newr cannondale rz 120 or 140?-d-gagement-pneu-arr-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That looks like a race king in there. I would be sticking something with more meat in there. I would just run something like a 2.35 barzo with a 2.3 dhr2 on 26" rims.

Members who have read this thread: 28