mtbr member

650b Public Service Announcement

If you are looking for Neomoto Tires - you might want to pay a visit to the Waltworks Blog.......I'm just sayin..............it might be worth your looking.

That is all.

Mark

Eating Hot Pockets
    check

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Mark.

And thanks Walt! (2 please)

mtbr member
    cheers and gotcha.

www.derbyrims.com
    Thanks Mark and Walt!

BTW, Walt...gross!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Arg!!! I checked and I was too late. Daiimn!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cr@p, 11pm mountain time might mean I missed out too. I guess I'll hope for a package instead an email from Walt...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So is the NeoMoto no more?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    So is the NeoMoto no more?

Never fear, the Neo-Moto is alive and well.

I've got plenty in stock and plan to have plenty of the 2.1" Neo-Motos' here soon too. The Quasi's should be back in stock in March-April.

Cheers,

KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtb remember
    Kirk - does that mean that QBP will not have Quasi's in stock on 1/22??
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by southy
    Kirk - does that mean that QBP will not have Quasi's in stock on 1/22??

QBP as all my other distributors by them direct from Japan as needed, they don't get them through me. I just didn't order mine in time to have more here before I sold out...who'd of thought you could sell 500 tires in so few months?

Cheers,

KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So QBP has the NM 2.1 now?

Thanks.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    So QBP has the NM 2.1 now?

Thanks.
    No, the 2.1" Neo-Moto doesn't exist yet. The mold is being made as I write this. The samples should be ready in time for the Taipei show in March. I should have production parts sometime after that...

Cheers,

KP

Eating Hot Pockets
    hey make a 2.5 Neo while you're at it..
    and another with a DH casing please...thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    No, the 2.1" Neo-Moto doesn't exist yet. The mold is being made as I write this. The samples should be ready in time for the Taipei show in March. I should have production parts sometime after that...

Cheers,

KP
    Is it true that the 2.3 Neo is going to get lighter?

How big is the Quasi again? How would it compare to the 2.1 Neo in terms of weight cush etc?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Is it true that the 2.3 Neo is going to get lighter?

How big is the Quasi again? How would it compare to the 2.1 Neo in terms of weight cush etc?

No, the 2.3" Neo-Moto will not be getting any lighter.

The Quasi-Moto is a 2.0" XC race tire.

All 3 tires will share the same 52mm casing, therefor have the same volume, or "cush".

The 2.1" Neo-Moto should be in the 600g weight range.

Cheers,

KP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, the 2.3" Neo-Moto will not be getting any lighter.

The Quasi-Moto is a 2.0" XC race tire.

All 3 tires will share the same 52mm casing, therefor have the same volume, or "cush".

The 2.1" Neo-Moto should be in the 600g weight range.

Cheers,

KP
    I must has confused a posting I saw. I bet it meant the Neo was going to be lighter, because it will be a 2.1...

All the same cush huh? Interesting. Maybe a 2.1 Neo on the rear would be okay as long as it has the same cush...

P.S. I currently have 6 650B tires, only 2 wheels, and I only use a rear at the moment. I guess I don't really need a new tire for a while anyway...

Inrideo est vita

Qbp

Hey guys just an update, QBP has the Quasi and Neo-Motos (2.35") in stock as of today.

-B-
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Reviewer/Tester

Neo Moto...

Kirk... would you ever consider a softer rubber compound on the Neo Moto to aid in wet conditions grip? Something like the Rampage compound?

I love the Neo, but in the wet the rubber compound is too hard and slides like crazy on the wet surfaces. This is my only complaint with the tire.
    If you used a softer rubber compound it would be perfect, imo..

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Inrideo est vita
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Kirk... would you ever consider a softer rubber compound on the Neo Moto to aid in wet conditions grip? Something like the Rampage compound?

I love the Neo, but in the wet the rubber compound is too hard and slides like crazy on the wet surfaces. This is my only complaint with the tire.
    If you used a softer rubber compound it would be perfect, imo..

Rainman.

Amen!
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

nothing relevant to say
    with a name like Rainman you would be asking for a tire for wet conditions, wouldn't you.
    Hey, for the sugar sand I have on my local trails, the Neo works great.

mtbr member
    Never fear, the Neo-Moto is alive and well.

I've got plenty in stock and plan to have plenty of the 2.1" Neo-Motos' here soon too. The Quasi's should be back in stock in March-April.

Cheers,

KP
    Oh man, 2.1 Neo's are exactly what I need for my upcoming Curtlo--they're even going to become available around when my frame should be done! I'll take three, please!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Oh man, 2.1 Neo's are exactly what I need for my upcoming Curtlo--they're even going to become available around when my frame should be done! I'll take three, please!
    Honest question here for SteveF and anybody else...

What going to be so much better about the 2.1? Or when would the 2.1 be better than the 2.3 (which I think is great)?

nothing relevant to say
    lower weight, but still a good bite. More fit on more 26er frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    as CH said lighter weight, which would spin up easier/quicker and produce less rolling resistance. so a good hardpack tire

Reviewer/Tester
    Heheheh ...
    Actually, I live in AU, and it's a very dry country, generally. But sometimes we get quite a few days/weeks of rain in the winter, and the roots and rocks get soaked, and consequently, slippery.
    I've run fairly extensive testing on several tire brands, and one of my favourite tires is the Panaracer Rampage. The Neo Moto is a very similar shape and size to the Rampage, and the tread blocks are also alike. What differs is the wet grip. The Rampage is quite good in the wet as well as in the dry, but the Neo is deadly in the wet. It just slides, no grip at all.
    I believe the difference is in the rubber compound. The Rampage wears faster than the Neo, the rubber in the Neo is much harder...therefore it does not have the grip in the wet that the Rampage does.
    I've compared both of these tires fairly extensively and if the Neo had the same compound as the Rampage it would be a much better all-round tire.

I would like to see Kirk specify a change in compound to Panaracer so that the Neo matches the softer rubber used in the Rampage. The Neo Moto is a very good tire in the dry, but lethal in the wet with it's current hard rubber.

Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    with a name like Rainman you would be asking for a tire for wet conditions, wouldn't you.
    Hey, for the sugar sand I have on my local trails, the Neo works great.
    It is inevitable ...

Inrideo est vita
    ... The Neo Moto is a very good tire in the dry, but lethal in the wet with it's current hard rubber.

Rainman.

I ride in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver Island) and we get a bunch of rain in the winter. They are not the worst tires I have used in the wet, but I would be all over the sticky compound version like a fat kid on a smarty!
    Do it up!!
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Honest question here for SteveF and anybody else...

What going to be so much better about the 2.1? Or when would the 2.1 be better than the 2.3 (which I think is great)?
    That's a fair question. The 2.3 looks like a fine tire, but I just don't need that much tire for the trails around here, or the sort of riding I have planned for this bike. I've been riding the same Michigan trails for (gulp) 14 years and I've always used around 2" tires, at around 30-40psi, without any issues. So, the lighter weight and presumably lower rolling resistance of the 2.1 appeals, especially if the casing is the same, so that the air volume/cushion is identical between the 2.1 and 2.3 Neos and even the Quasi-moto.

Otherwise, the 2.3 Neo would be my choice, at least for the front--it's a little more tire than I really need, but the Quasi looks like a little too little tire for for up front, and I'd rather have too much than too little front tire. (I like to push corners and front washouts suck!) So the 2.1 Neo sounds like a perfect compromise! (though now I'm wonderin' if I should pair it up with a Quasi in back!)

When someone finally builds a 650b FS bike (I may yet break down and get a Bastardo next winter!) I may very well put 2.3's on there for more aggressive riding/trails. Whee!

Regarding a stickier compound for wet traction, I'll bet the upcoming Kenda Nevegal offering will help in this regard, eh?

mtbr member
    Out here in wet and wild Western MA I can't say I've had any problems with the compounding with the Neomoto. It had plenty of grip to allow one of my team riders to win a National Championship at Mt Snow on the super-mucky descents and all. If you run pressures in the 20's there is considerably more traction. Using ztr rims+ strips my 160 pound riders were running about 27psi up front for most of the season. Let the casing and contact patch work for you and you will be surprised how well they work on wet roots, etc.

We spend a lot more time riding Quasi motos up front though. It's lower, more widely spaced knobs are my preference for tires. A lower knob height Neo sounds great, more like something we could make use of.

mtbr member
    Interesting--my favorite 26" front tire is the Hutchinson Scorpion 2.0. Corners great and tracks reasonably well through sand. Now that I look at some Google images, the Quasi may be fairly similar--maybe a bit less aggressive side knobs. I think I just need to order one so I can get a look at it. I can always run it as a back tire with a Neo up front if it's a bit sketchy for me to use up front...

mtbr member
    Interesting--my favorite 26" front tire is the Hutchinson Scorpion 2.0. Corners great and tracks reasonably well through sand. Now that I look at some Google images, the Quasi may be fairly similar--maybe a bit less aggressive side knobs. I think I just need to order one so I can get a look at it. I can always run it as a back tire with a Neo up front if it's a bit sketchy for me to use up front...

The Quasi-moto is a little more predictable than the Scorpion in my experience. Just make sure to run it tubeless and you should be set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    The Quasi-moto is a little more predictable than the Scorpion in my experience. Just make sure to run it tubeless and you should be set.

Thanks, that is an interesting observation! (not into the tubeless thing, though--you'd recommend that why? Because it allows lower pressure?)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, that is an interesting observation! (not into the tubeless thing, though--you'd recommend that why? Because it allows lower pressure?)
    ......and better gip.

I think the 2.1 will end up being a great rear tire when paired with a 2.3 up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    ......and better gip.

I think the 2.1 will end up being a great rear tire when paired with a 2.3 up front.
    that's exactly what i'm thinking

nothing relevant to say
    Hey Rainman:
    The Neo-Moto and Rampage use the same ZSG Natural Compound from Panaracer. I did the research, specifically for you.
    http://www.panaracer.com/technology.php#zsg_natural
    Read a bit about it here.
    The Quasi utilizes the same, as well.
    Perhaps it is just the knob placement in this case. I'm sorry your compound argument is unjustified.

Reviewer/Tester
    I believe that it's possible to have a harder compound whilst using the same basic ZSG in both tires.
    In any case, i've tested these two tires side by side in exactly the same conditions and the Rampage has more wet grip, is faster-wearing than the Neo, and definitely seems to have a softer compound than the Neo Moto rubber.
    I can only go on what I see and feel in the real world, as that is how I test products and components.
    You are probably correct in saying that the Neo and the Rampage utilise the same basic rubber compound, but then how do you account for the difference in the grip and wear characteristics in the two tires?

I would be very interested in hearing from a Panaracer representative about the differences, the casing and knob size and configerations are similar in both tires ... so much so that it would seem to be the only big difference is in the actual rubber additives used in each tire.

I have a pretty good knowledge of rubber compounds in tires, being an ex pro motorcycle and kart racer in my younger days...

Really, i'm not trying to badmouth the Neo, I use them myself all the time, and consider both the Quasi and the Neo to be really great dry weather tire.
    I'd just like to see them slightly softer and grippier in the wet...is all.

Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Hey Rainman:
    The Neo-Moto and Rampage use the same ZSG Natural Compound from Panaracer. I did the research, specifically for you.
    http://www.panaracer.com/technology.php#zsg_natural
    Read a bit about it here.
    The Quasi utilizes the same, as well.
    Perhaps it is just the knob placement in this case. I'm sorry your compound argument is unjustified.
    It is inevitable ...

nothing relevant to say
    OK how about this: they are using the 60a compound.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are probably correct in saying that the Neo and the Rampage utilise the same basic rubber compound, but then how do you account for the difference in the grip and wear characteristics in the two tires?
    One's a 29er?

Reviewer/Tester
    The ZSG "Active" compound looks interesting in the new SC tire. The Neo could use that same compound to give it extra wet weather grip...maybe.

Tire compounds can be varied radically according to the 'mix' used, to create softer of harder compounds. Whilst the Neo wears very well, some softer sticky rubber additives would not go amiss, imo.

*edit* I use both 29'er and 26" Rampages, as well as 650B Neo's and Quasi's.

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 01-26-2009 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    One's a 29er?
    the troll killer thinks you may be onto something... its a little known fact that panaracer doesn't actually produce their own 29er tires. they use an outfit somewhere in thailand according to the troll killers sources.

assuming rainman is comparing apples to oranges, or panaracer's 29er to pacenti's 650b, this could be the difference in the compounds feel and wet weather gripping abilities.

the troll killer has had nothing but success with the neo in wet or dry, but the variables in riding style, ability, conditions, terrain, are mind boggling. how could any company possibly keep up with it all?

gung how fat choy! xin nian kuai le!

tk
    Keeping the 650B forum hater free ever since 2008!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The ghawk says please don't make the Neo softer. I do not ride in the rain all the time. Don't change a tire and make it have a shorter run life just for a condition that you ride maybe 10% of the time. (Actually for me 0 %).
    Really though, the ghawk says I find them to grip in soupy, misty, wet usa eastern rooty singletrack just fine run at about 22 psi (also partly the great traction is due of the wheel size as my 26ers with a grippier compound are all over the place compared to 650b.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've found that slippery roots are.......well.....slippery roots. Doesn't matter much to me what compound or tire you throw at them. Just watch your speed and angle of attack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    agreed.

that and, at least where i am, if the conditions are wet for multiple days in a row i shouldn't be on the trails anyway.