Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650B Picture Thread

549K views 2K replies 580 participants last post by  NordieBoy 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if we have a thread that's been buried, but let's see everyone's 650B bikes

I'll start with this one:

See less See more
#984 ·
hey guys, settle down. Yeah, it's to minimize chain slap, that's all. Some may think it's just ugly, but chill. I loved these things back in the day. And I liked it on this build, so shut yo noisy flaps!
It's by no means my main steed in the stable, just a 650b vintage build I had fun with some parts I have laying around!
The old faded red SDG saddle I threw on is ugly too, but I like it! And I kind of think the 150mm stem is ugly too, but ugly to a point that it almost matches the build with the sweep bars... UGLY is a relative term! ...this is just exactly what happens when someone posts up photos of an oddball retro-grouch build with obscure vintage parts (from might I say, the golden era in MTB's short history! :thumbsup: ), and then other people only concerned with newest, latest, greatest, most technologically exotic, all first lay eyes on some real history; they are repulsed and shocked! :cool:
If you all expected to see some 2013 Ferrari's at a car show, then a hot-rodded straight axle gasser shoebox shows up, most people just simply won't get it.

And yes, it helps being that it's a 1x8 (the tension is almost too much on the spring for a triple), but I also threw on a Paul chain keeper as a security measure from launching the chain in rough sections.

#986 ·
And I kind of think the 150mm stem is ugly too, but ugly to a point that it almost matches the build with the sweep bars... UGLY is a relative term!
Going to have to disagree with you on that one....that stem is beautiful! Hand made stem from back in the day when a stem could please a woman...hand painted to match the hand made frame. I love it! :thumbsup:

#708 ·
A quick update of my C456b after having clocked over 500 miles on the 650bs so far.

I was not happy with BBDBs -> switched to XTs, they are great
I set the fork to 130mm from the original 100mm -> much better descents, a little more challenging climbing
As a part of that switch, I also went for a 40mm stem -> loving it now but took some time for me to adjust
RaRas -> I do not think they work well for most days here in New England, especially the rear wheel traction is an issue on wet-ish roots and (chunky) rocks this wet Spring. I am going to try a 2.1 Nevegal in the rear soon.
Used XTR pedals -> I cannot always avoid pedal strikes and these seem to survive everything
Dents and chipped paint -> the paint chips and peels easily. The carbon fiber underneath feels very tough though, I have no worries about the frame integrity.

Next steps - many more hundreds miles and perhaps a 2x9 conversion :madman:.

#734 ·
My 650b Superlight Project

Originally purchased a Jamis 650B1 bike for super low price:). Great bike, but a bit too much travel and weight for my needs. Picked up a used Santa Cruz Superlight and swapped out most of the parts onto a Superlight, and now I have an aggressive cross country machine. Handles great, reasonable weight, and climbs all day long. Now, what to do with the nice Jamis frame:confused:

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.