Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650B Picture Thread

549K views 2K replies 580 participants last post by  NordieBoy 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if we have a thread that's been buried, but let's see everyone's 650B bikes

I'll start with this one:

See less See more
#958 · (Edited)
Here's my very recently completed 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight conversion.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Tire

I shortened the fork travel to 110mm to match the axle-to-crown of the spec'd 120mm fork, put a couple thin spacers into the shock to shorten stroke by a few mm, and cut off the front derailleur cable stop for wheel clearance. This bike is awesome! The bottom bracket height feels ideal for my trails, the wheelbase is unaffected, and the slightly shorter travel isn't really noticeable. The wheels aren't light, however, so that's noticeable, but worth it!

#961 ·
Here is my SixFiveO Remedy
What fork is that? And please share tire clearance in front & rear (and identify your tire/rim combo.

I have a 2011remedy and fox 32 fork and wondering if i can pull off a conversion without raising the bb too much, also I push the bike hard and wheels/fork do flex so ample clearance is an important safety factor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#963 ·
Its the stock fork that came with the bike, BB is about 13.2" at about 28% sag. Its only about 1/2" higher then stock.

Wheels are DT Swiss M1700 and Nevagal 2.35 tires, I really don't like the tires, I will soon upgrade to something lighter.
Clearance is great, if you find my other post you will see that I have about 10mm clearance on the rear, front is no problem either.

#973 ·
By:stickel - Custom 650b

I just finished building up a custom 650b Bystickel AM hardtail. I believe the frame was originally designed around 26" but as you can see from the last pic it has ample clearance for a 2.35 Hans Dampf on a Pacenti rim. Fork is 130mm White Brothers Fluid, but she will most likely be getting either an x-fusion vengeance (spaced to 125) or a 36 Talas. The trails around me have over a foot of snow still so I haven't had a chance to ride it but I can't wait. Just tooling around the parking lot it feels fantastic. Also, big kudos to Bystickel....the attention to detail and build quality on this frame are outstanding....on par with the best I have seen (this coming from a guy who owns a Steve Potts bike and Moots among others). Steve Stickel throws it down hard.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part
Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle wheel

#983 ·
Oh I know what it is. I have installed them for customers (back in the day). I also know they are ugly pieces of crap that only marginally help with derailleur tension while noticable affecting shift performance. AKA....one of the many POS parts marketed during the MTB boom to fix problems that don't exist.

#985 ·
Man, all that Ibis needs is a Hite-Rite and you'd be all set! Too bad the tires wouldn't clear the rigid fork. Is that a Surly Open bar on there? I've got one on a Ritchey TimberWolf that I use as a grocery getter/winter commuter and I love it. I've always wanted to take the racks and fenders off it and throw on some knobbies and go trail-riding early '90's style.

Very cool that 650B's fit on your vintage frame. Let us know how she rides with her new wheels.

#988 ·
oh definitely! I actually have some sitting around, but was going to save for a different build. The seatpost clamp I currently have on there right now is bolt-on anyway...

Going to have to disagree with you on that one....that stem is beautiful! Hand made stem from back in the day when a stem could please a woman...hand painted to match the hand made frame. I love it! :thumbsup:
haha, yeah, that's exactly why it is still on there! Matches the bike perfectly so I cannot seperate them, even if I am superman stretched over the front wheel, haha. Mainly the reason I went with the big pullback sweep bars.
Oh, and yes, they are Surly Open bars, just blacked out to look more generic.

#989 ·
I decided to finally post these up in the thread. A 2012 Santa Cruz Blur TRc and a 2012 One One Whippet. Oddly enough they both weigh in at 22.6lbs. I'm not sure if that means the TRc is light, or the Whippet is heavy.

#999 ·
My 2009 Epic Carbon Comp. There's a build thread on here somewhere but, like any proud owner, I figured I'd pimp it here too. When I bought it, the PO had upgraded to XX. It came with Stan's 355/DT Swiss 240 wheels. I had the hubs built with 650b Flows and swapped the SID to a Revelation 650b. The XX front derailleur didn't clear the rear tire so that got swapped for an SLX. I haven't weighed it recently but I'm guessing it's close to 24lbs or less. Here's a build list:

2009 Epic Carbon Comp size L
XX drive train/SLX front derailleur
XX cranks
XX Brakes
2013 100mm 650b Rockshox Revelation 15mm Maxle
Flows/DT Swiss 240 converted to 15mm through Axle
Racing Ralph/Quasi Moto
Thompson post
Easton EC 70 riser bar
Specialized Phenom saddle
Other stuff...

I came across a set of XT brakes that may go on. I'm planning on swapping the front RR for a Nobby Nick and putting the RR on the rear. It took some time to get the bike sorted but it's phenomenal. I'm 100% pleased. Before and after pics attached.

Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.