Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650B Marin Wolf Ridge

11K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  spammedsushi 
#1 ·
Another frame that fits! Looked a long time for a frame that was the right geometry and had decent tire clearance. Just couldn't pull the trigger on a $2000 El Basrtardo though Ventana makes wonderful frames. I finally found a 2007 Marin Wolf Ridge for a whole lot less and I have always had a great deal of respect for John Whyte as a mechanical engineer. His designs are simple and innovative. The cool thing about this frame is it has an adjustable bottom bracket so I can offset the taller wheels by dropping it to the low position. I just got the frame and took some pics of the clearance to share. It was better on the 2006 I tested but Marin shortened the chainstays for 2007 so its just OK with the Neo-Moto but I bet the Quasi-Moto will be better and I usually run an XC tire on the rear anyway. Going to build it up tomorrow and ride it this week. :D

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Built it last night! I set it up as a 67.5er moto-style for my first ride because I wanted to compare it with my Yeti 575 which I had set up identically. I have been riding that way for the last 4 months so I am pretty famaliar with this setup. Switching to full 650B after today's ride.
Weighed it too 33lbs.

Attachments

#9 ·
Waterat Pat said:
Built it last night! I set it up as a 67.5er moto-style for my first ride because I wanted to compare it with my Yeti 575 which I had set up identically. I have been riding that way for the last 4 months so I am pretty famaliar with this setup. Switching to full 650B after today's ride.
Weighed it too 33lbs.
Nice!

I will look forward to the ride report. I am interested to know how the 67.5 set up compares to the full 650B set up....

#10 ·
Went out to my local trail yesterday that I have ridden countless times so its a good reference for me. First off the geometry was spot on for my size. Just a shade under 6ft. Very happy about that.
Climbed in the saddle pretty much just like my Yeti which climbed very well seated. The big difference was when I came out of the saddle. I couldn't believe the amount of traction I got even hammering. I really had to try to get the rear wheel to slip. Technical climbing was very good also. It seemed when I hit ruts my rear wheel didn't hang up. It just rolled over things with little loss of momentum. I can only think this must be because the rear wheel moves rearward when it hits bumps which has been a holy grail of full suspension designers and I can now see why.
On to descending. 6" of travel is so cool. This bike will do bigger stuff than I will. Corners awesome due mostly to the Neo Moto up front. Great front tire. When I sprinted on slower sections the bike felt really snappy even with the pro pedal off. I also noticed it didn't seem to slow much at all in technical stuff. The bike just felt fast and floaty and this is the heaviest bike I have ever ridden. Overall I am stoked.:thumbsup: Now to go full 650B and see how it changes things.

#11 ·
Waterat Pat said:
Climbed in the saddle pretty much just like my Yeti which climbed very well seated. The big difference was when I came out of the saddle. I couldn't believe the amount of traction I got even hammering. I really had to try to get the rear wheel to slip. Technical climbing was very good also. It seemed when I hit ruts my rear wheel didn't hang up. It just rolled over things with little loss of momentum.
A path that was only rearward would lock up under power and would feel like it was more like a hardtail when pedaling. This kind of bike would take hits with grace when not pedaling though.
Yours has a path that starts off going towards the rear but arcs faster towards the front that the Yeti so that you have a firm pedaling platform when in the sag position but as the suspension goes through its travel the chain does not influence it as much therefore allowing the suspension to work less inhibited when you hit a bump.
Glad you are enjoying your new bike.

#13 ·
Full 650B Ride Report

Well I finally have a bunch of rides with both the Neo Moto on the back and the new Quasi-Moto. Thank you Kirk. Once I put the 650B on the back I was kinda freaked by how high the BB became 14.5" no sag and 13 1/8" with 30% sag which is the recommended setup. It really sinks into its travel but I hear that is typical of a VPP bike. The Neo on the back was kind of slow feeling and I was very glad when I got the Quasi and immediately put it on the rear only. It made it feel so much faster I love that tire. I must say even though the BB is high for me it doesn't bother me too much. I was worried about low speed technical climbs and balance and this bike works great in that situation due mostly to the suspension which seems to stay hooked up no matter what. The difference with the 650B rear was noticeable in that it rolled better of course but it made the bike fell much more balanced in high speed turns. 2 wheel slides in corners felt good because both tires broke at the same time. Buckets of clearance with the Quasi on the back although the front derailleur gets close in the granny. I actually heard it hit once on a turn when I was running the Neo-Moto on the back but no issues once I switched to the Quasi-Moto.
This frame does have an adjustable BB by moving one of the front pivot bolts but I found it made the suspension lose that magic feeling so I always leave it in the high position now. Its not all a bed of roses. I put the bike on a diet and got it down to 31lbs which still feels heavy to me as it doesn't have the snappy feel I like. This bike will probably feel way better on the rough stuff in the mountains instead of the smooth single track we have here in the SF bay area.
Bottom line I am definitely going to leave it full 650b and planning on a trip to Baja in September where I will ride almost every day on some very rocky terrain depending on how the waves are.;)

Attachments

#17 ·
There were 142 x 12mm dropouts available with the latest attack trail which are interchangeable with the 09 Wolf ridge but you have to track down some 2nd hand ones. I doubt Marin would have any available any more. OEM dropouts for the 09 wolf Ridge is 135 x 12 not sure about earlier years like in the Photo. I suspect they would be QR.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.