mtbr member
    Apr 2013

4.7-5 inch travel trail bikes

What is out there and coming? I know only Santa Cruz 5010 and Turner Flux. Both are bit pricey and the low BB height is for the terrain those companies are familiar with. There's solid choices for pure XC sleds, like the Anthem, and the +5.5 inch, super slack AM market seems to be tapped. I want something in between! This is the niche they are going to cater to next year, I suppose?

Trek's going to come out with Fuel Ex 27.5, right? Perhaps that's he answer.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's kind of a gaping hole.

Trail Ninja
    So you want affordable and higher BB than the 5010/Bantam (13.1") and Flux (12.8")? Don't forget about these:

KHS 3500 13.3" BB $2800 MSRP
    Jamis Dakar XCT 650 13.42" BB starting at $2400

Don't forget about the 26" conversions, like the SC Nickel.

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Happy medium between xc and am is the Specialized Camber. I've demo'ed a carbon one and would hapilly own it as my only bike. I believe there's an evo version out this year.

mtbr member
    Ooops,just realized that this is posted on the 27.5 forum!

mtbr member
    Kona Process 134? @ $2500 it's a pretty good price. Travel is a wee bit more than 5" (5.3) and isn't sooooper slack @ 68deg HA.

BBH appears to be a hair over 13.4" with the Ardent 2.25's installed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Ventana Alpino is a very good option, with higher BB, although in the same price range as the Turner Flux...

Trail Ninja
    If you want to include Euro models, here's what I've found:

120-130
    Ghost AMR Riot
    NukeProof Mega TR
    Canyon Nerve
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Santa Cruz Bantam
    Turner Flux
    Pyga One Twenty
    Rocky Mtn Thunderbolt
    Scott Spark 750
    KHS 3500/2500
    Ellsworth Absolute Truth
    Look 927
    Ventana Alpino
    Saracen Killi Flyer
    Cube AMS 130
    KTM Lycan
    Yeti SB75
    Jamis Dakar XCT

131-139
    Kona Process 134

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm loving my Bantam - BB height is not an issue, and we're pretty rocky here on the Colorado/Utah border. If it was a 6"+ bike with a 13.1" BB it would be a problem, but at 5" it's perfectly appropriate IMO.

Don't think you'll find anything meaningfully higher that doesn't sacrifice handling. Static BB height figures within +/-.5" don't necessarily reveal much.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Trail Ninja
    Yea, static BB height alone doesn't tell the story. If you're worried about pedal strikes, you have to consider at least the suspension system too. Perhaps the 12.8" on the Flux is okay due to how the DW Link was tuned when pedaling. Perhaps you might like to run the shock with less sag or perhaps the pedaling aids help, etc. I thought I would've had to be mindful with a 13.2"/335mm BBH on my 150mm FSR bike (175 cranks, Spec SJ FSR EVO), but I get less pedal strikes than I do with my 13"/330mm 100mm single pivot bike (170 cranks, Trek SF100).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    130mm, so a little over 5 in, but the GT Sensor? Scott Spark is 120mm travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Norco Fluid 7.1 has 120mm and good spec!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've ridden a Turner Flux a few times in the last couple of weeks and pedal strikes are really the only complaint I have about it. Yeah a few of the strikes could have been avoided due to better pedaling technique on my part, but I had more with the Turner than I have on a 26" XC hardtail over the same rocky and rooty terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    I've ridden a Turner Flux a few times in the last couple of weeks and pedal strikes are really the only complaint I have about it. Yeah a few of the strikes could have been avoided due to better pedaling technique on my part, but I had more with the Turner than I have on a 26" XC hardtail over the same rocky and rooty terrain.
    Agree'd, that's the one big worries I have right now. I took delivery of my new Flux but have not ridden it yet. Too busy taking trips. I'll report back later but I'll be putting a 140 mm Fox TALAS on which will hopefully put the BB a little closer to what I have with my 5 Spot.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I'm loving my Bantam - BB height is not an issue, and we're pretty rocky here on the Colorado/Utah border. If it was a 6"+ bike with a 13.1" BB it would be a problem, but at 5" it's perfectly appropriate IMO.

Don't think you'll find anything meaningfully higher that doesn't sacrifice handling. Static BB height figures within +/-.5" don't necessarily reveal much.
    I've probably said it a thousand times... really hard to beat a well designed single pivot bike. The Bantam looks pretty sweet, might have to look into one of these myself.

Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Look at the alloy 5010. Bottom bracket is low, but not jaw-dropping low and on par with most of Specialized's offerings. I have a carbon Solo (got it before the name change!) and put on some thin playforms and removed the spacer in my fork to 140 mm. I imagine this raised my BB to 13.2 or 13.3 inches or so. At any rate, trail bikes are where it's at, for me at least. Light enough to efficiently cover lots of terrain but capable in the gnar. Best of luck.