mtbr member
    Oct 2009

27.5 x 2.6 Rear Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Maxxis Forekaster???

Hey guys. I love the Maxxis Minion DHF that came on the front of my bike, but not so thrilled about the Maxxis Rekon on the rear.

The Rekon got a tear in the tread section early on, and I tried different things to try to keep it from leaking. All met with limited success.

In the meantime I just didn't like the rear traction of the Rekon. It left something to be desired.

So I replaced it with a Schwalbe Nobby Nic (Addix/Apex). I do think the Nobby Nic is a step in the right direction.

I just got back into this hobby. The last time I was in the hobby, I was always trying various different tires to see how they were, and was never really satisfied. I never put down the bucks for the best.

This time, I just want to throw the absolute best on the bike and go riding! I don't want to be testing different tires all the time. I just want to get out there and enjoy the best of the best.

Soooooooo in a 27.5 x 2.6 Rear Tire what is best: Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Maxxis Forekaster???

Which one offers best traction?

Which one offers best protection against tears?

Trails are in Charlotte NC area. "Bike Parks" mostly. Not as much downhill or shuttling rides as when I was in California.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    i found the 2.6 forkaster to be very bouncy as a rear. didnt like it at all actually. now running 2.6 dhf front and 2.5 dhf rear. much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Right now I have a 2.6 Maxxis DHF rear and 2.8 Highroller II front. Has been working well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    Right now I have a 2.6 Maxxis DHF rear and 2.8 Highroller II front. Has been working well.
    My Pivot Mach 5.5 comes with a Maxxis DHF on the front.

I'm wondering if it would be good to keep running one up front, and add one to the back???

So many people swear by the Maxxis DHF. Some run them up front, some run them in the back.

So that begs the question: is it ok to run one up front and one in the back???

mtbr member
    I run a 2.6 Forekaster front and 2.6 Rekon rear. I like the grip and rolling speed. I don't want DHF/DHR since they are too draggy for my riding. Nobby Nic are schwalbe and for my use every schwalbe tire I had wore down too fast. The Maxxis just lasted longer.

I don't enough miles on the Forekaster to determine durablity, but I like the grip of the 2.6 better than a High Roller II 2.4 that used have up front. Part of that is my preference for rounded vs square tire profile. I have friend with 2.3 Forekasters f &R and he has had good success with them. We ride similar dry rocky terrain.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post

i always pr my tires up, no mix-n-match for me. As for your choices, why not try it, and then you'll know.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It should not matter, ride it and see if you like it. I started with 2.8" Highroller IIs front and rear. This worked well but the rear was pulling too much debris through the swing arm. I changed the rear to a 2.6 DHF. I don't think there is a combo of either of those front or rear I would not like.

I'm wondering if it would be good to keep running one up front, and add one to the back???

So many people swear by the Maxxis DHF. Some run them up front, some run them in the back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

My Ibis came with 2.6 DHF front and back. Matchy matchy. I LOVE it. BUT I do want to drop a bit of weight and rolling resistance. So I was thinking of the keeping DHF front but the getting the Rekon or Forecaster in the back.

What about the Rekon you didn't like? Skid too much, unpredictable, washout, can't lean, poor braking, bad in mud/wet?

I personally hate the Nobby Nics, as they dumped me off a bike once without any notice or warning.

I'm in NorCal, so the mostly dry, some rocks, and loose over hard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I run a 2.6 Forekaster out back and really like it a lot back there. I initially bought it for the front and did not like it up there. All they had available was the MaxxSpeed at the time and I think that because of the harder compound it was a little nervous up front (or I was) but works like a champ on the rear. It's paired up with a DHF MaxxGrip, nice combo for my use.
    Last edited by gdb85; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Smoothmoose

Basically I thought the Rekon did not have enough traction in back. I liked the Knobby Nic in the back better. I also didn't like that the Rekon tore on the main tread on one of my first rides.

Traction issue: Maybe it was a matching issue. Maybe the Maxxis DHF was too much traction for the Rekon in back. Make sense?

Anyway, I now have a Maxxis DHR II in the back and love it! Great match with front. Unfortunately (or fortunately), we had some rain a few days ago before I hit the trails which washed the leaves off my local trails. And the trail was just about perfect when I hit it Saturday with the DHR II. So no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the rear to wash out. So yes the DHR II was awesome, but then the trails were in perfect condition too! So difficult to truly make an evaluation yet.

One thing was interesting though. I was talking to another rider on the trails Saturday. He was on an older bike with very skinny tires. He was new to this trail. He said without the berms of the trail he was used to, his tires were washing out left and right on Saturday. Meanwhile my tires were sticking like glue! Go figure!

mtbr member
    I had to lower my Rekon 2.6" down to 22-23 to get some traction now it sticks like glue on hard/rocky, my DHF 2.6 front i'm down to 19-20 as I really didn't like it at 23-25. bouncy and slide and then catch. Still feel like i need more traction or more traction for mid lean angle in the front and not wait till the edge catches here in Arizona.