mtbr member
    Oct 2017

27.5 Race Face Turbine R Wheel-Set Problems/Popping/Creaking

Greetings,

I recently purchased a new pair of Race Face Turbine R wheels, and have an unidentified clicking/popping/creaking noise on my front wheel. I have less than 100mi of Single Track on the wheels.

I have tried everything to eliminate the noise. Lubed and tensioned/trued the wheel, tried different tires, tried different sealants, checked the rim for cracks, checked/replaced the original tubeless rim-tape, and have had no success.

I have called Race Face / Easton and they haven't any suggestions. I have worked as a bicycle mechanic for over 16 years, and the only thing I am left with would be a cracked cross-member support between the layers of the rim.

The noise is similar to this guy's Bontrager Wheel issue - - - - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwU1eHHRd5c

The rim has a welded seam, not a sleeved seam, and like the video above, can be regenerated by squeezing the tire near the seam of the rim.

I would much rather fix the problem, if possible, versus waiting 3+ weeks for the warranty turn-around.

PLEASE LEND ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Unfortunately I donít have any suggestions, but I do have the exact same noise on my front and rear Turbine R wheels. I have 150-200 miles on my wheels. It is driving me NUTS as well.

LBS wants to take the wheels apart this week to try to find the source - will pass along any pertinent info

Biking Like Crazy!
    I've had my Turbine R's for a couple of months and have riden them hard w/o any noise or issues. Hope you get this resolved or figured out! I'm following this now!
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    ****UPDATE from Easton/Race Face (11/10/2017)*****

Easton/Race Face currently doesn't have an identical replacement rim for my warranty.
    I may end up having to send in my rear wheel in as well as I don't want miss match rims...
    Let the nightmare begin.

I'll keep you guys posted with any/all updates.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Please keep us updated. My rear Turbine R is doing the same thing. I was going to try oiling the sleeve like others have to fix the click on different rims but I didn't see an obvious weld spot. The noise seems to originate near the tiny hole on the outside of the rim. When I squeeze the tire near that hole I can sometimes get the wheel to click.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Idea!

****Update from Easton Race Face 12/7/2017*******

My LBS that warrantied my Turbine R wheel informed me that Race Face re-stocked replacement Turbine R rims, as this problem has started to sprout up throughout the industry.

If you have this problem with your wheels, it is indeed what I originally expected. The supports in between the rim layers (either 1 or both) have separated or cracked (typically near the welded rim seam) and when the tire flexes, the "T-Like" structure of the rim flexes/shifts, causing the rim to make a cracking/pinging sound.

If you have this problem, hop on the warranty band wagon before they run out of the replacement rims they just stocked!!!

Keep me posted with your warranty progress!

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona Explosif John View Post
    ****Update from Easton Race Face 12/7/2017*******

My LBS that warrantied my Turbine R wheel informed me that Race Face re-stocked replacement Turbine R rims, as this problem has started to sprout up throughout the industry.

If you have this problem with your wheels, it is indeed what I originally expected. The supports in between the rim layers (either 1 or both) have separated or cracked (typically near the welded rim seam) and when the tire flexes, the "T-Like" structure of the rim flexes/shifts, causing the rim to make a cracking/pinging sound.

If you have this problem, hop on the warranty band wagon before they run out of the replacement rims they just stocked!!!

Keep me posted with your warranty progress!
    Thanks! I contacted James in warranty. He helped me replace a tailgate pad that was wearing prematurely last year and was very helpful.