monster member

27.5 for people that know how to ride

Hey folks,
    I guess I'm set in my ways but not loving the + tire, slack geometry of modern bikes.

Is there any 27.5 bike out there with about 100mm suspension and older geometry that turns nicely.... good for Northeast area?

Just test-rode a 5010 and felt like it was for hacks that don't know how to ride. (Relied on fat tires and lots of suspension to get them through easy stuff.) I prefer a light, energetic-feeling bike. Especially for $4k, a 27.5 should be able to be made that feels light and fun compared to a 29er, and doesn't have to feel like a downhill bike of 10 years ago.

I just want a bike with 2000-era design like 100mm, 2x11 or 1x11 if I must, but 27.5 instead of my old 26". Extra length suspension just means they have to strengthen other things that adds weight and 100mm is enough for trail.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    You may be able to find a 26er frame that will fit 27.5 wheels. There was a thread somewhere here on MTBR forums that had a running list.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You're looking for a low end bike. You could buy any off brand, or anything from bikes direct. They're all pretty mid 2000's.

mtbr member
    What Wheelspeed is looking for is basically a race oriented 27.5er. There are a few out there but almost everyone who races sticks to a 29er.

Turner is more old school in geometry, you may like the flux. Keep in mind no one is making 72 degree headtube angle / 80mm of travel bikes anymore. I used to race those and still have one but it doesn't come close to my 29er in any aspects except being lighter.

https://www.turnerbikes.com/bikes/flux-v4-0/

Cycologist
    2015-2016 Santa Cruz Superlight small and medium are 27.5, if that's your size. Came with a 120 fork but you can swap in a 100mm, which will also steepen the head tube angle to around 70. Rear is 100mm.

I would imagine you can find lots of 27.5 100mm XC bikes from a few years ago that are close to what you're looking for. Not sure about new.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Fat Chance Yo Eddy, the new Wicked will have modern geometry. It has more than 100mm of travel but it's a great bike for twisty trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you happen to be like 5'5" the SMALL trek top fuel and cannondale scalpel si. They have modernish geo but they are 100% fast race bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    Keep in mind no one is making 72 degree headtube angle / 80mm of travel bikes anymore. I used to race those and still have one but it doesn't come close to my 29er in any aspects except being lighter.
    QFT. I got my start on those kind of bikes, but to ride them today they're a bit like playing an original Nintendo. Tons of nostalgia, but when in use I realize how far we've come since!

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat
    2015-2016 Santa Cruz Superlight small and medium are 27.5, if that's your size.
    This came to mind for me as well; would seem to fit what the OP is looking for well if they are looking for a S or M frame.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sounds like you want something more xc as others have said. Not sure why the title and post need to be condescending though. People want different things and weíre all at different points of learning whether itís mtb or our careers or anything thing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You're looking for a low end bike. You could buy any off brand, or anything from bikes direct. They're all pretty mid 2000's.

Even most of the cheap ones are modern geometry...I guess this guy can't win.

Maybe the Diamondback Overdrive 2; that's a pretty popular entry-level 27.5.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Orbea makes their Oiz in 27.5.

It is a fully dedicated XC race bike that might work for you.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you can ride a small or medium frame the Ridley Ignite checks those boxes. Building one up for my nephew now. Geo is pretty old school designed around an 80 - 100 mm fork - light alloy should build up nicely.

mtbr member
    Its interesting that you didn't like the handling characteristics of the 5010 so that means its for "for hacks that don't know how to ride". The 5010 doesn't even have fat tires, it comes with 2.3's. Its a snappy and poppy all around fun trail bike, if you know how to ride it.
    If your local trails don't offer the type of terrain that can take advantage of having more travel and modern geo then something like a Giant Anthem 27.5 or Scott Spark 27.5 would do the trick. Even those have more travel then you're looking for. Why not build a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I was in the EXACT same boat as you last fall. My Klein of 20 years finally bent the derailer hanger one too many times. I went to every bike shop and rode every modern full suspension bike I could find. Nothing "felt right". Rode everything from $1500 bikes to $10k Ibis/Yeti's, and I just couldn't adjust to the slack frames and wide bars. I then put together a spreadsheet with geometry #'s based on my Klein. Only Euro high end bike builders have 27.5" frames with more classic dimensions (Storck, Orbea, BMC, Pinarello, Look). Good luck finding one to ride, no one carries those bikes in stock. I bought a Storck Rebel 7 hardtail frame sight unseen for dirt cheap, collected the parts over the winter, and had Cycles Etc in Manchester NH bolt it together. It is absolutely a different riding style with the 27.5" tires, but the steering is still direct and has way more feel than any of the modern FS bikes. The frame design and cushy rear tire are close to the same compliance as my dinosaur Klein Mantra. I am really starting to enjoy the hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

I had the same problem so I decided to buy a giant xtc advanced 27.5 and made it a race bike with full xtr components and a fox 32 sc suspension and I really like it compared to a 29er

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I ride a 5010 and it's a fun, snappy little bike. I've owned and ridden plenty of 26" short travel FS bikes over the last 20+ years so I know exactly the feel you're talking about. Just because a bike isn't trying to jump out from under you every time you zip around a tree that doesn't mean it can't be ridden well by an old cross country hack like me (and presumably you). And frankly, I also feel your approach to your question is a little insulting-if you can't rock a 5010 maybe you just need to spend a little more time on one.

Giant made an old school 100mm travel cross country 27.5" FS for a year or two-the Anthem? They may still be available.

mtbr member
    Ridden NE singletrack for over 30 years...I recently bought a newer geo 27.5 Kona 153. Best bike I've ever had...but I can't help you because I don't know how to ride.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The people who really know how to ride can ride on just any bike. I'm just a pretender so I favor a certain type of bike.

Thread already spun
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    I just want a bike with 2000-era design like 100mm, 2x11 or 1x11 if I must, but 27.5 instead of my old 26". Extra length suspension just means they have to strengthen other things that adds weight and 100mm is enough for trail.
    Best you can hope for is a 69ish HTA and an ETT that isn't ridiculous.
    I'd be interested in finding out if such a thing exists too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Best you can hope for is a 69ish HTA and an ETT that isn't ridiculous.
    I'd be interested in finding out if such a thing exists too.

Zowie, how do I measure the head tube angle for my existing 26" fork? The specs don't show it in the product description. Do you need some GPS app that shows how off-center you are from the ground up, or is there a more specialized instrument?
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    And frankly, I also feel your approach to your question is a little insulting-if you can't rock a 5010 maybe you just need to spend a little more time on one.
    Bingo. If you haven't updated anything technology-related in 15-20 years (bike, car, phone, computer) of course it's going to feel different, especially if you have curmudgeonly tendencies. The feeling of the 5010 relying "on fat tires and lots of suspension to get [them] through easy stuff" is kind-of true; it's light-years ahead of your ancient bike in how it handles rugged terrain and will make it feel easier if ridden in the same way. This doesn't mean the people who ride them are "hacks" who "rely" on the bike to make up for a lack of skill, if anything it's the opposite. You feel the bike makes it easy because your skills aren't up to how much faster the bike can be ridden compared to your current steed.

The longer it's been since you upgraded your bike, the longer the acclimatisation/getting-used-to phase will be when you do upgrade. Give it some time, it's going to take more than one test-ride for you to adapt to 18 years of bicycle evolution. Or you could look for something 3-5 years old to help bridge the gap, like the V1 5010 perhaps?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I was a die hard 26er until last September. I wondered into a small bike shop in Raymond Maine and fell in love with a new Scott Spark 750. It is a 27.5 but rides lighter and quicker than my 2003 Giant 26. I love riding it on my favorite trails, the Fells & Land Lock Forest. The second I threw a leg over it I felt right at home. So there are bikes out there just need to find what you like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Consider the Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5. I have one and live in Central NY with primitive tight rough single track. It is a great balance between pedaling, handling, and handling rough sections.

It has steep seat tube but 68 degree head angle so turns quick. It is 140mm/140mm but the rear suspension incorporates flex in the seat stay so it is on the firmer side.

Others you might consider
    Norco Optic
    Norco Revolver
    Pivot Mach 4
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt (maybe last years geo/travel)
    Giant Anthem
    2018 Spark
    Someone mentioned the Oiz already

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    NARRATOR voice:

Of course he didn't understand that forks don't have head tube angles.

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Zowie, how do I measure the head tube angle for my existing 26" fork? The specs don't show it in the product description. Do you need some GPS app that shows how off-center you are from the ground up, or is there a more specialized instrument?

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 5010 (actually the solo before they changed the name) 68deg HA, 130/125 and 2 29ers. One HT SS and just replaced my 29 HT geared with a specialized epic. I have to admit the 5010 is no where near as snappy as my 29ers. It is fun ride, but more in a monster truck way vs nimble trail slicing machine. Now that could be in large part due my 29ers are steeper HA, less travel forks, lighter and shorter wheelbase. In fact I moved from standard 2.3 on 23mm wheels to 2.6 on 35mm wheels. Actully the most nimble sweetest handling bike I have is my 2018 Epic. I have about 120 miles on that bike now and it just amazes me how fast it turns and pedals and descends. I still like the 5010, but what I ride it it more or less my "enduro" rig and I just don't expect it to be nimble and light be able to flick it around the trails. I expect it to CRUSH everything and it is fun change of pace. That said I can still ride it on twisty narrow trails and it is great for slower paced group rides as it forces me to work a bit harder so I tend to not get as far in front.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Thread already spun
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida View Post
    NARRATOR voice:

Of course he didn't understand that forks don't have head tube angles.
    So can you do something constructive and enlighten the class as to how one can accurately measure the HTA of a frame without considering the specific fork, or furthermore the choice of wheel and tire installed on said fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So can you do something constructive and enlighten the class as to how one can accurately measure the HTA of a frame without considering the specific fork, or furthermore the choice of wheel and tire installed on said fork?
    Nice straw man!

I never claimed that one can accurately measure the HTA of a frame without considering the specific fork, or furthermore the choice of wheel and tire installed on said fork. It can't be done.

I merely noted that a fork doesn't have a head angle nor would the head angle of a fork be included in its product description. This is basic stuff.

I would suggest that you read, and try to understand, the silliness that I replied to:

"Zowie, how do I measure the head tube angle for my existing 26" fork? The specs don't show it in the product description."

Thread already spun
    Nice straw man!

I never claimed that one can accurately measure the HTA of a frame without considering the specific fork, or furthermore the choice of wheel and tire installed on said fork. It can't be done.

I merely noted that a fork doesn't have a head angle nor would the head angle of a fork be included in its product description. This is basic stuff.

I would suggest that you read, and try to understand, the silliness that I replied to:

"Zowie, how do I measure the head tube angle for my existing 26" fork? The specs don't show it in the product description."
    And I'd suggest you do something constructive.
    Then again, I already did.

My expectations are low.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    And I'd suggest you do something constructive.
    Then again, I already did.

My expectations are low.
    Noting yet another example of misinformation/confusion from someone who repeatedly posts nonsense(albeit funny nonsense) is quite constructive.

It would suck if one of his fellow newbies was misled.

Thread already spun
    Noting yet another example of misinformation/confusion from someone who repeatedly posts nonsense(albeit funny nonsense) is quite constructive.

It would suck if one of his fellow newbies was misled.
    You guys seem upset, I'll leave your safe space.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You guys seem upset, I'll leave your safe space.
    You are confusing amusement with being upset.

It's also funny that the guy whining about "being constructive" is claiming that others need a safe space. The hypocrisy is awesome!

Thread already spun
    You are confusing amusement with being upset.

It's also funny that the guy whining about "being constructive" is claiming that others need a safe space. The hypocrisy is awesome!
    You should have used the narrator voice, it makes you sound important.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    What in tarnation is goin' on up in here? I thought I was going to learn how to ride, dagnabbit! Can you whippersnappers quiet down so I can hear what's going on? Much obliged.

Thread already spun
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    What in tarnation is goin' on up in here? I thought I was going to learn how to ride, dagnabbit! Can you whippersnappers quiet down so I can hear what's going on? Much obliged.
    You know about a frame like the OP was looking for?

I was actually here for a good reason, before it turned to a dumpster fire.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    You know about a frame like the OP was looking for?

I was actually here for a good reason, before it turned to a dumpster fire.
    I'd suggest he find something like an older Giant Anthem or XTC depending if he's after a hardtail or FS since it wasn't specified. Maybe 5 years ago or so when they were just getting started with the 650b thing and hadn't slackened all their stuff out as much. OP could check geo specs if that's a direction he's interested in. I used to ride them and they'd definitely fall into the "twitchy" category by today's standards...which sounds like what he's after.

Thread already spun
    I'd suggest he find something like an older Giant Anthem or XTC depending if he's after a hardtail or FS since it wasn't specified. Maybe 5 years ago or so when they were just getting started with the 650b thing and hadn't slackened all their stuff out as much. OP could check geo specs if that's a direction he's interested in. I used to ride them and they'd definitely fall into the "twitchy" category by today's standards...which sounds like what he's after.
    Nah, needs to be new.

I don't think you can find a beercan that old that is in good shape.
    If you can, there was something wrong with it's owner.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Nah, needs to be new.

I don't think you can find a beercan that old that is in good shape.
    If you can, there was something wrong with it's owner.
    Maybe we should let the OP decide that rather than whine about a decent suggestion. Plenty of good used bikes out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2015-31-4608

Name:  41eXh-FyihL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  20.2 KB

Geometry

Oh, and you can get it for $200. /thread

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post
    /thread
    Nice. Hope OP is small or medium.

mtbr member

I'm sorry he came into this thread. He's been trolling me for a few weeks.

Anyway, if it's worth anything I prefer slacker modern geometry bikes with fatter tires since I don't know how to ride. In all seriousness, even I notice a real difference in many ways with the newer bikes; they smooth out everything. For the older-geometry bikes, I guess you could call the handlebar instantly oversteering handling...I guess. I kind of like a millisecond of delay before turn-in, kinda smoother that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    The people who really know how to ride can ride on just any bike. I'm just a pretender so I favor a certain type of bike.
    Pretty much this. It's almost always the person on the bike, hardly ever is it the bike itself.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    Pretty much this. It's almost always the person on the bike, hardly ever is it the bike itself.
    Sometimes people won't admit this. In my case, it's always the bike's fault.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nice. Hope OP is small or medium.
    Yeah, I'm a smartass.

If he's a large then he's got to find one somewhere else. This sort of bike exists.

This thread got annoying. I'm pretty sure there weren't large numbers of OtB deaths and maimings back in the day. And I'm also sure a rider can lay down some power on a modern bike. Either old geo or new are equally suitable (or treacherous) for both skilled or unskilled riders.

Like most heated discussions here it's based on people forgetting that we all face different terrain, soil conditions and have different ideas of what's fun or necessary on the bike.

I'll blame OP for that, too. Slack isn't for incompetents, it's for different rides and styles than what he does.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post
    Yeah, I'm a smartass.

If he's a large then he's got to find one somewhere else. This sort of bike exists.
    I didn't think that at all and I actually meant that I hope he'd like it and be able to take advantage since it should suit what he's looking for...or at least hit some of the key points.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    there are 2 good things to have steep in the mtb world, seattubes, and trails!! durpydoo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    Agreed that the rider makes more difference, but every new bike I've gotten has made me a better rider. It's the reason we spend so much time and money on them. They do make a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ventana will build you a FS frame with a short wheelbase and steep HA. I used to have a X-5 that was like that- steep and short and stiff. I had an El Saltamones too. I'd not want one again but stiff bikes (that part was way nicer than flexy frames) that will last forever too.

Bikesexual
    How about an On-One?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hey folks,
    I guess I'm set in my ways but not loving the + tire, slack geometry of modern bikes.

Is there any 27.5 bike out there with about 100mm suspension and older geometry that turns nicely.... good for Northeast area?

Just test-rode a 5010 and felt like it was for hacks that don't know how to ride. (Relied on fat tires and lots of suspension to get them through easy stuff.) I prefer a light, energetic-feeling bike. Especially for $4k, a 27.5 should be able to be made that feels light and fun compared to a 29er, and doesn't have to feel like a downhill bike of 10 years ago.

Just got a brand new 27.5 70/73 very short wheelbase 2x11 stiff as concrete frame 10.2 kg HT bike with 100 suspension. A Haibike feeed 7.80 2016 model.

This bike was old style geo even for european markets in 2016. Dont let the "slack" 70 HA fool you (or the 740mm bar). Its old style race. Unfortunately they dont make the good carbon frame anymore, only a more wobly cheaper carbon thing, but i guess a few bikes is still on the market with the real stiff stuff.

But i live in Denmark. The trails is 90% build for 26 HT and is twisting like crazy. Slow speed very tight turns and tons of acceleration. Trees so close i can barely pass my 740 bar.

I am a newbee and got my interest for mbt riding a few days on a Santa cruz chameleon 27.5 2018 model on 3" tires. So i think i know where you are going. Different bikes. I dont miss the slac geo, weight, wobling frame and tractor tires in my country and think all that stuff just went a bit to far even in rough tracks - but i could use just bit longer wheelbase and some slightly wider rims to get better control at speed using my newbee low psi. But yeaa all compromises.

Looking at the pics at Santa cruz website i just wish i had those technical tracks nearby my home. Sure i would run a slacker bike then. Heck even FS. But my tracks is not like a website and neither is my skills.

Always loved lively steep geo bikes btw. We are all set in some way.

Barely in control
    I love a steep geo bike too as long as I got a 70mm stem. For that I need 630mm ETT which is apparently a tall order...along with 50mm bb drop and some rear tire clearance for 2.4".

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Agreed that the rider makes more difference, but every new bike I've gotten has made me a better rider.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    They do make a difference.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Been riding for 20 years and my 2016 5010 is the business. It's my first MTB that doesn't have 26" wheels.

Also rip it up with a 2001 Bianchi Grizzly steel hard tail and a full suspension Moots Cinco (both bikes 26") and the 5010 feels faster. Actually it IS faster based on Strava times. Took a couple months to get the full potential out of it but it's there.

Barely in control
    Nope.
    lol, how do you know?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    lol, how do you know?
    near as I can tell some guys know it all
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    I just changed bikes from a 2010 to a 2017. The new bike does everything so much better that it feels like cheating.

The bike makes a HUGE difference. Anyone who doesnt agree is probably the OP, riding a 1992 trek 820.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The bike makes a HUGE difference. Anyone who doesnt agree is probably the OP, riding a 1992 trek 820.
    And he's thinking he can keep up with you anywhere.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Intense Spider

Yooper
    Feb 2015
    The new bike does everything so much better that it feels like cheating.
    This.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    And he's thinking he can keep up with you anywhere.
    Maybe he can, but it'll hurt more on that old Trek.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is this a troll thread or what?

Sorry, can't help, I'm just a hack that doesn't know how to ride.

Seriously though, I suggest you try more than just the 5010 before you're ready to write off all modern geometry bikes. You'll probably find that there are lots of bikes out there that feel plenty light and energetic. Check out the Yeti SB100, Scott spark, or Intense Spider just to name a few.

Or, if you're really that dedicated to 2000's era geo, just buy a used bike. Better yet, buy a used frame and pimp it out with brand new components. I believe there are plenty of manufacturers still making components compatible with 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Troll. But I'm just a hack, reliant on newer technology, so what do I know?

since 4/10/2009
    Guess I don't know how to ride at all.

I also LOL @ the 5010 having fat tires. My bike has both 26x4" tires AND 110/100mm of FULL suspension.

mtbr member
    This thread has boosted my self esteem to new heights now that I know there are so many hacks out there.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was also just looking at this very delemma, minus the knowing how to ride of course. Iím coming from a 2004 Cannondale 1FG that I have modified to a few grams less then 18lbs. My other vintage ride is a Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 I also modified to be light and fast for east coast single track. Both obviously old school in all regards. Tried a 29er SS about 5 years ago and felt like I was driving a truck through the woods. Hated it and sold it.

Iím also on a hunt for a short travel FS bike that can climb really well but is maneuverable enough to get through technical sections that require slow speed. Iím a self proclaimed Cannondale fanboy having sold and ridden many of them back in the late 90s and early 2000s so my first look was at a scalpel but really donít think IĒm cut out for a 29er.

This resulted in me looking at 27.5 (which I thought was going to be a passing fad 10 years ago when manufacturers started experimenting with them).

The Cannondale Habit has a slacker head tube at 68 but thatís not crazy far off 70-71 which is more common long ago. Itís short travel and good climbing reviews have me looking at it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    for what its worth I thought my old Yeti Asr 5c 26'er was as great NE bike, it pedaled like a much shorter travel bike. Great on the tight slow and constant up/down. That bike got old quickly in Norcal though

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    5010 and fat tires? i dont think so

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Jamis Dakar XC 27.5" ?

Hey folks,
    My GF has been XC-riding the 26" version of this bike both in northeast (Quťbec, New England) and west coast (Squamish, Fraser Valley) conditions:
    Link to shop selling these online for $999: 27.5 for people that know how to ride-15_dakarxc-lg.jpg
    2015 DAKAR XC

They also have a 1x, carbon framed version (but with 130mm travel) for more money: 2016 DAKAR XCT RACE

I bought y GF's bike new (=warranty) heavily discounted and used the saved money to upgrade fork and wheelset.
    Imagine that for $2,000 you could put together a nicely spec'ed bike.

Have been pleasantly suprised to see what terrain my GF is able to ride with this bike, that has "old geometry": 70deg HT angle, 74 deg ST angle

Personnally still riding a 2012 26" Santa Cruz Superlight (with 2x9 LX). 26" SuperLights seem to be relatively simple to convert to 27.5" 1x setup (think you can find more info on converting in santa cruz section of forum).
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by pirati View Post
    Personally still riding a 2012 26" Santa Cruz Superlight (with 2x9 LX). 26" SuperLights seem to be relatively simple to convert to 27.5" 1x setup (think you can find more info on converting in santa cruz section of forum).
    Been there. Done that. Very fun versatile bike. I ran my convert with a 120 travel front fork. Limited on rear tire size tho especially if running a front derailleur. Better if running a 1x where you can buzz off the front derailleur cable stop on the back of the seat tube! 👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

monster member
    Hi everyone,
    First, I admit I didn't write my post very well. Had a few beers and was genuinly let down by the day's test ride. I WANTED to love the new style trail bike. And I wasn't picking only on the 5010, I meant all of these, big suspension, big rim and tire and fork bikes that call 'trail' what 'free ride' was in the past.
    My mistake if the 5010 doesn't have wide tires... I thought it had 2.5 or so but really don't know.
    In any case, wasn't picking on the 5010, but all modern trail bikes. And it was also a result of testing it on easy trails that could be cleaned with a cyclocross bike.
    In any case, made it to Dirtrag Dirtfest and tried a new StumpJumper 27.5 short-travel bike there (replacing the Camber) and LOVED it! I might've loved the 5010 there also. Steeper trails, and better trails made the modern trail bike come alive.
    A few of you also mentioned the Anthem 27.5, and I am very interested in finding a demo of that. Also want to try a Top Fuel. Giant was at dirtfest, but it rained so much that most mfrs cancelled their demo programs. Props to Specialized, Niner, and Surly who still let people demo. But with only those three, their bikes were always gone so couldn't try the Spesh 27.5 long-travel or a 29er. (My two local shops have Spesh, Cannondale, Giant, and Trek, so I'll be choosing from one of those because there's gotta be a good-enough bike out of those four and I want to support one of my local shops.)

Thanks guys. Best to all, and don't read into people's posts too much!
    Have fun!

the half breed devil
    Hi everyone,
    First, I admit I didn't write my post very well. Had a few beers and was genuinly let down by the day's test ride. I WANTED to love the new style trail bike. And I wasn't picking only on the 5010, I meant all of these, big suspension, big rim and tire and fork bikes that call 'trail' what 'free ride' was in the past.
    My mistake if the 5010 doesn't have wide tires... I thought it had 2.5 or so but really don't know.
    In any case, wasn't picking on the 5010, but all modern trail bikes. And it was also a result of testing it on easy trails that could be cleaned with a cyclocross bike.
    In any case, made it to Dirtrag Dirtfest and tried a new StumpJumper 27.5 short-travel bike there (replacing the Camber) and LOVED it! I might've loved the 5010 there also. Steeper trails, and better trails made the modern trail bike come alive.
    A few of you also mentioned the Anthem 27.5, and I am very interested in finding a demo of that. Also want to try a Top Fuel. Giant was at dirtfest, but it rained so much that most mfrs cancelled their demo programs. Props to Specialized, Niner, and Surly who still let people demo. But with only those three, their bikes were always gone so couldn't try the Spesh 27.5 long-travel or a 29er. (My two local shops have Spesh, Cannondale, Giant, and Trek, so I'll be choosing from one of those because there's gotta be a good-enough bike out of those four and I want to support one of my local shops.)

well done, sir.

my faith in the inherent goodness of humanity has been upped just a bit more.

good luck with your search.

since 4/10/2009
    You need to update yourself a bit. 140mm (like the 5010) isn't long travel anymore. That's at the short end of mid travel.

And yes, the 5010 has wider tires than you are used to (2.3 or so), but that is pretty much standard width anymore.

And so what if bikes like the 5010 aren't for you or where/how you ride? There are other shorter travel bikes. The Blur is back as a 27.5 bike with less travel. Other brands have stuff, too. And yeah, longer travel bikes can be boring when the trail is smoother. And yes, they come alive as the trail gets rowdier.

I recently demo'd some longer travel bikes than what you have looked at, on some rowdier trails. I wanted to LOVE them, but I didn't. I liked them, but wasn't wowed. My search, as well, will continue. Not the bike or mfr's fault. There's some other stuff that interests me.
    Hi everyone,

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Focus Raven 27r is the nicest hardtail that comes to mind. A few months ago you could find them with 2*10 full xt for 1500 on closeout. If you want to do a frame up build check out the ritchey wcs. It is a really nice steel xc hardtail frame for a great price right now.
    Last edited by party_wagon; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Good explanation, glad you found a new bike you like!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The Chinese carbon frames have older-school geometry. Get one of those and build it up

mtbr member
    Hi everyone,

I think that in order to see the benefits of these "modern" bikes a person needs to ride them faster and/or over rougher terrain. Let it go, and these bikes rip. But if you ride them like traditional cross-country bikes, they're just heavy. Sounds like you found the right trails for the Stumpy and 5010.

mtbr member
    It's quite funny how opinion is quite subjective. For me a dude riding a 100mm bike is 9 out of 10 times more likely to be a hack who can't ride any sort of tech. Usually only riding easy xc tracks hardly ever getting wheels off the Ground and almost certainly not punching any real gnarly stuff.

5010 is a glorious bike. But it's not enough bike for the tracks I like to ride. Head angle is too steep it hasn't got enough suspension either. It's good on easy tracks though.