mtbr member
    Oct 2008

26" front end with 20mm more travel.

Has anyone tried running a 26" fork and wheel with 20mm extra travel on their 650b bikes. I'm thinking about finding a straight steerer tube 140mm pike for my 120mm steel hardtail. I want something with a little better small bump compliance for all day epic rides than my current fork. I'm wondering if it causes any problems when you blow through the suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    Has anyone tried running a 26" fork and wheel with 20mm extra travel on their 650b bikes. I'm thinking about finding a straight steerer tube 140mm pike for my 120mm steel hardtail. I want something with a little better small bump compliance for all day epic rides than my current fork. I'm wondering if it causes any problems when you blow through the suspension.
    I think you'd be better off just putting the biggest tire you can, at lower pressure on the front. Going from a 120 to a 140 won't get you much better small bump compliance unless your 120 is shot. It'll save you mucho dinero. Or, just run a 27.5 140 fork and go with 30% sag.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I would imagine that running the wrong sized fork for your tire and running more sag would do little to improve small bump performance. Small bump is all about breaking that initial stiction and having a really good damper, which means getting a high end fork. For the best small bump compliance, go coil. FYI, In my experience, Pike sucks at small bump compliance. A yari or lyric would be much better.

Or like MSU said, bigger front tire with lower pressure would help with small bump to some degree as well.

mtbr member
    It also depends on what you're riding. 20% sag is fine for XC. My Pike is at the recommended 30% sag and it feels considerably better....but that's a 160mm fork. Just experiment around.
    I guess a reasonable question is, what do you have set for sag? If it's at 5%, that's your problem.
    It also sounds like an old fork. When was the last time you had it serviced?
    What tire and pressure are you running up front? If it's a 2.1" tire with an inner tube at 40 psi.....well......

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm currently on a xfusion velvet without much sag. It's great for fast singletrack, but I'd like a little smoother ride for all day rides.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Let some air out and see what happens.

But be prepared for the never ending battle with air forks - too much air, and it is overly stiff. Too little air, and it wallows in the travel and feels much less responsive. Sometimes it's hard to find a happy medium.

I think the damper design/tune comes into play a lot, too. XC forks tend to be stiffer (i.e. pike) whereas enduro forks tend to be more supple off the top (i.e. yari, lyric).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    I'm currently on a xfusion velvet without much sag. It's great for fast singletrack, but I'd like a little smoother ride for all day rides.
    Look at the shim stack mod in the RL2 Service and Tuning thread. Moving the ring shim up the stack a little reduces preload on the main shim stack which makes the fork feel much better when you're not riding at 100%. I didn't notice it feeling too soft at high speed but I ran less than 15% sag so YMMV.

If your reduce preload the lockout goes from a true very firm lockout to a much softer (but still much firmer than unlocked) setting that is rideable on dirt rather than the smooth road only factory setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The only fork I can really think of that may hit the nail on the head would be an old lefty 140mm with the coil spring blocked to 130mm for 650b. Thanks for the insight. I'm kind of limited with straight steerer forks.