mtbr member
    Nov 2017

2018 Giant Trance 2 vs 2018 Specialized Stumpjumper

Hi guys. So Iím finally ready to plunk down the green and get myself a proper trail bike. This will be my first True purchase of a new bike. At first I was kinda settled on the Santa Cruz 5010 but then the sales rep at my LBS introduced me to the giant. I instantly fell in love with it but being one that has to do research first I walked away. I ended up visiting another shop that houses he specialized SJ and that too was a pretty sick bike. Iím an intermediate rider, a bit tall and heavy (6í2Ē 235lbs). Which one would you prefer and why?

Never trust a fart
    This probably won't help. But I have ridden both and both were very nice. I do prefer the Roval wheels over the Giant brand for tubeless setup and the Sram drivetrain over Shimano. So my preference would be the SJ.

It's all going to come down to how you feel on the bike. Both bikes will suit your needs. Test ride both and then make a decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I went with the Stumpjumper as I always have enjoyed specialized. Rides really well though I would have preferred shorter crank arms to maximize pedaling in technical terrain. If you can test ride the bikes you're interested in, do it, best way to decide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I test drove both of these and ended up with the Trance 2. Both seemed fine but the M in the Stumpjumper seemed a bit small and the L too much of a reach. The Trance 2 fit perfectly. Not a huge fan of the dropper on the Trance. The dropper on the Stumpjumper seemed much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for all the replies. Yeah this is a tough one for me. I'm truly torn which way to go. Both bikes seem like great choices... I guess the silver lining here is it seems I can't really go wrong with either. I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know what I ended up with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It is so personal, I've done demos on both and the Trance worked better for me. It is worth the money to buy a demo ride if you can't get one for free.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Demo them both, if possible. That's all the research you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Just an update, I still haven't made a decision lol. So the Stumpy I test rode was a regular, full travel bike but the Stumpy I was considering (and still am) is the Stumpy short travel alloy version (its way cheaper). Its listed at $1850 and has a Rockshox Recon 130mm travel fork setup. Of course I have yet to find one built up to demo so not sure how it feels.

The Trance 2 that I'm considering is the full trail bike with the 150mm fox fork setup. With discounts the Giant is going to be priced about the same as the Stumpy because one of my must haves is a dropper seat post which the base Stumpy does not have so I will need to buy that separate bringing that price up to the range of the Giant.

Both are 27.5 wheels, but one (the Trance) has more travel and fox components, the other is a year newer with Rockshox stuff but smaller travel. So torn on this as I really don't want buyers remorse after I make my purchase.

I should mention that I am looking for a good bike that I can use as my daily trail bike. I ride often, at least once a week on my local trails and I am looking for a quality built up bike that will be a decent to good climber and more forgiving on the downhills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocdjg View Post
    Just an update, I still haven't made a decision lol. So the Stumpy I test rode was a regular, full travel bike but the Stumpy I was considering (and still am) is the Stumpy short travel alloy version (its way cheaper). Its listed at $1850 and has a Rockshox Recon 130mm travel fork setup. Of course I have yet to find one built up to demo so not sure how it feels.

The Trance 2 that I'm considering is the full trail bike with the 150mm fox fork setup. With discounts the Giant is going to be priced about the same as the Stumpy because one of my must haves is a dropper seat post which the base Stumpy does not have so I will need to buy that separate bringing that price up to the range of the Giant.

Both are 27.5 wheels, but one (the Trance) has more travel and fox components, the other is a year newer with Rockshox stuff but smaller travel. So torn on this as I really don't want buyers remorse after I make my purchase.

I should mention that I am looking for a good bike that I can use as my daily trail bike. I ride often, at least once a week on my local trails and I am looking for a quality built up bike that will be a decent to good climber and more forgiving on the downhills.
    I found a barely used (50 hours) 2018 Trance 2 for my son in April. Very nice capable bike. Components are great. Really like it came with SLX brakes standard. Nothing wrong with the Fox 34 fork. I have a 140 version on my 2017 Fuel EX-8 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Well to conclude this mini saga, lol I ended up going with the Stumpy after all, and no not the short travel version either. I worked with my LBS and got a pretty sweet deal on the regular full travel Stumpy 29er. So I even skipped the 27.5 altogether too. First ride impression - this thing is a blast! The suspension is so plush. I will admit that the 29er feels sluggish on the climbs and is a little harder to flick around turns but I think over time I will adjust and get used to it.

Thanks again to all for your comments.