mtbr member
    Aug 2017

2018 Giant Fathom 1 vs. Vitus Sentier VRS

Can anyone give a compare/contrast on the Fathom 1 vs. the Sentier VRS. I have been waiting on the LBS to get the Fathom in stock now that it has been released, I am still tempted to pull the trigger on a Sentier and start riding a bit sooner.

It looks like Giant put wider bars on this year's Fathom, and shortened the stem - which were the complaints I've seen on the bike. For me, the good bits are that it has the dropper post already installed and I can get it from the LBS. I'm not sure about the fork, but I read good things. And no matter what, it will be better than what I've been abusing on the trails.

The Sentier gets more than solid reviews everywhere. The LBS said that the Fathom would be a similar ride, can you give me more information?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I doubt you'll get much info about the 2018 Fathom as it just came out. In general, the 2017 (its first year of release) was viewed favorably, check out the thread in the Giant section.

I personally like everything about the Fathom except the fork and lack of boost. I think Giant, generally known for good value, dropped the ball by offering junky suntour on a $1400 bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ministry View Post
    I doubt you'll get much info about the 2018 Fathom as it just came out. In general, the 2017 (its first year of release) was viewed favorably, check out the thread in the Giant section.

I personally like everything about the Fathom except the fork and lack of boost. I think Giant, generally known for good value, dropped the ball by offering junky suntour on a $1400 bike.
    I think Suntours latest forks are not comparable to its previous efforts. Yes the XCM and lower budget forks are rubbish, but my experience with the XCR fork (air spring model) was good, nice and smooth , good adjustment, well controlled, and stiff enough for XC riding, and better than my experience with the equivalent xc30 rockshox. The number of hours before recommended service is much higher on the Suntours than Rockshox. Suntours higher end Raidon, Epicon and Axon forks are bloody good value.

The Vitus Sentier has a much slacker head angle than the fathom, more trail bike, whereas the Fathom is more XC orientated.

The new 2018 Fathom looks really good value, with the addition of a dropper post, and tubeless ready rims and tires. For the type of riding most would do on this bike, ie XC and light trail riding, the lack of through axles and boost rear end are forgivable. Look at it as a aluminium version of a XTC advanced XC bike for much less money.
    Last edited by timfnz; 08-21-2017 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ministry View Post

I would have to disagree I have the axon fork and though it sucked when I first got it (seemed like there was a lack of fluids or something), but had the fork serviced and itís on par with my manitou towers fork now. Like a whole new fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You may look for a jamis dragon on closeout. It is like the fathom. 120 fox fork and a nice steel frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by timfnz View Post
    The Vitus Sentier has a much slacker head angle than the fathom, more trail bike, whereas the Fathom is more XC orientated.
    There's a half degree difference in their head tube angles man. They literally have the same geo +/- .5 degree. All other measurables are within fractions of each other as well.

That said, I've ridden the Fathom 1 and its decent. A kid I know races one though for xc racing it kind of gives up a bit of crispness for the popular trail geo. I'd also say the frame construction on the Giant is better, tube joints are much smoother, etc.