mtbr member

2016 Mondraker Foxy R

I have been riding a Kona Tanuki FS since the end of 2013.
    In that time l've been out on 4-5 times a week and it has served me well.
    I was looking at buying a 2016 Foxy R but cannot find any reviews on it.
    Has anybody on here bought one, or ridden one?
    My Tanuki is a 17" frame and l am five foot six with 29" inside leg. The Tanuki fits me great, much better than my old Marin FS which was a "small" (15 1/2" frame)
    The shop says l need the "small" Foxy as they are a "long frame" but l thought the short stem made up for that?
    I ride XC and am a fast descender, although l tend to grind rather than sprint up the climbs.

mtbr member
    Anybody at all ridden one of these yet?

mtbr member
    Bike Radar had a review of the 2015. Not sure how much has changed, but they said it suffers on the climbs. Since you already own a Kona, have you looked at their new stuff? 2014 was a game changing year for them and the Process line has much to offer.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    suffering on the climbs would be relative to the lighter kit on the xr or carbon Foxy. Latest Konas are not good climbers.Foxy has steep seat angle and plenty of antisquat so relative to many, if not most, it will be a good climber comparing lb for lb.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    suffering on the climbs would be relative to the lighter kit on the xr or carbon Foxy. Latest Konas are not good climbers.Foxy has steep seat angle and plenty of antisquat so relative to many, if not most, it will be a good climber comparing lb for lb.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5
    Uh, latest Konas aren't good climbers? Wrong. I own a Process 134, and it climbs better than several other bikes I demoed in same class/category. New Hei Hei is similar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Uh, latest Konas aren't good climbers? Wrong. I own a Process 134, and it climbs better than several other bikes I demoed in same class/category. New Hei Hei is similar.

Technical climbing or sit and spin? I have a Process 111 w/ the Monarch RT3 and sitting and spinning causes a lot of monkey motion unless you add LSC. I watched an interbike Process video and Kona admits the suspension design relies on compression dampning to counteract pedalling input. Technical climbing is great due to the fact the suspension is active.

mtbr member
    The 2016 Foxy R seems a fair bit different to the 2015.
    I think it's gone to 1x11 for a start, and its quite a bit lighter.
    It is a fairly new bike, l might have to buy one and then be the first to post a review of it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    The 2016 Foxy R seems a fair bit different to the 2015.
    I think it's gone to 1x11 for a start, and its quite a bit lighter.
    It is a fairly new bike, l might have to buy one and then be the first to post a review of it!
    Do it!

mtbr member
    I went to my LBS today and ended up test riding a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr.
    At UK£2200 it's £800 cheaper than the Foxy and now l can't decide which to go for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Buy the Mondraker, incredible bikes.

mtbr member
    I must admit l am tempted despite the higher cost.
    I'm going to test ride one tomorrow hopefully.

mtbr member
    Well, l bought the Foxy R. I test rode it and it felt great.
    I will post a report when l've used it a few times.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I look foreward to hearing more.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    My mum has just been over for a meal and l was telling her about the bike, and out of the blue she said she would buy it for me!
    This has never happened to me, and l was not sure if l should take the money, l spoke to my wife and friends, who said if your mum wants to treat you then why not?
    I am still in shock....the bike costs UK£3,000
    I had taken out a finance agreement for most of the cost.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If your mum can afford it say thank you.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    So l have done three rides on the Foxy this week.
    It's definitely a step up (from my 2013 Kona Tanuki Deluxe)
    It rolls better over rough tracks and rocky descents, the suspension is more plush and it also climbs better. As in more grip and again, less troubled by rocks and roots etc l assume due to the bigger wheels.
    The trademark Mondraker "forward geometry frame" looks pretty cool and the longer wheelbase seems to improve stability.
    The bike comes with a Reverb Stealth dropper post and as yet l've not worked out how to use this to my advantage. Having never had one before, it seems strange having nothing between your legs on descents.
    The 1x11 transmission l really like, no faffing and graunching with the front mech when it's full of mud (round here is a mud bath right now, one of the paths we rode had actually become a river)

I have had to tweak a few things such as cable routing but so far it has been all good, in the most extreme weather we've had here since l started riding in 2012.

The paint finish is not as durable as the Kona, after one ride the chainstay was already chipped (l since fitted a protector, none was supplied). Although l'd forgotten to engage the clutch on the rear mech.

I went for the medium frame, against advice from the store, and Mondraker's sizing chart (l'm 5 foot 6 with 29" inside leg)
    The medium just felt better to ride despite the store saying it was a "long frame" it has a very short stem and the distance from seatpost to bars is the same as my 17" Kona.
    Also the seat height is perfect for me with the dropper post fully up (although it's as far into the seatpost as it will go).
    Last edited by lotusdriver; 01-30-2016 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Just ordered this beast today, which is the most I've ever spent on a bike (plus it shares my surname which is a bonus). Currently I'm feeling a mixture of pure glee and being overwhelmed! Keep this thread up to date - might be useful to get advise on any tweaks and adjustments that help the performance... I got a medium too, I'm 5'9". Due for delivery in a few days - Wooooo!

mtbr member
    I have done another ten rides on the Foxy now.
    The bike is really good....l love it.
    Once l got the suspension sorted, the shock was easy but the fork took a bit of tweaking. I took out both the spacers or "tokens" from the fork as l am fairly light weight.
    You need to check that there's enough slack in the two cables that go under the bottom bracket, when the suspension is fully compressed.
    Release the air from the shock and check...adjust if necessary. Mine were too tight.
    The 1x11 transmission is great, l thought l would miss my triple front chainset but l don't at all.
    The fork is great but has a couple of minor design flaws. Dirt gets into the CTD and rebound adjusters and makes them rough/scratchy. I had to whip them off and clean them out twice already.
    Likewise the adjuster on the shock gets full of grit and needs cleaning often.
    Oh and the grips are hard as nails....my hands hurt after one ride. I fitted a pair of Pro Koryak ones and despite them being hardly any thicker, it transformed it.
    The bike is great over fast singletrack where it soaks up the trail undulations/rocks etc and on descents it really rocks.

mtbr member
    Your surname is Foxy? That's pretty cool.
    Guess it has to be this bike for you then!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Your surname is Foxy? That's pretty cool.
    Guess it has to be this bike for you then!
    Well, Fox, with the added 'y' the obvious lifelong nickname... Feels a bit narcissistic, but with only one website offering 48 month finance (and the only other option being a Cube) it was fate...

Anyhow, thanks for the advice - ordered some Oury lock on grips (do love my Ourys!) to replace the concrete ones that come as standard. Get some nasty RSI in the hands and these have been a revelation since I stuck some on my Fuel EX6. Guessing the Float 34 will help with the shock absorbsion though.

Glad to hear the 1 x 11 is a winner. Did worry me, never ventured away from a massive, heavy 3 chainringer. Very steep climbing round my way, fingers crossed it cuts the mostaza (mustard in Spanish )...

mtbr member
    The low gear is 30/42 which feels slightly higher than the 24/36 on my Kona.
    But the wheels add 6% to the gearing if you are buying the 27 1/2 and have been riding a 26" so it's probably that.

It's low enough to get up anything l did on the Kona, in fact l have surprisingly posted a few Strava PR's on climbs since buying the Mondraker.

High gear is 30/11 and good for 20mph if you are "cruising" on road or over 25mph if you pedal fast.
    On my Kona it was 42/11.

So l can't match my Kona times on road downhills, but it's not a road bike so that's not a problem for me.

mtbr member
    I found the standard fit Maxxis Ardent tyres to have poor grip in gloopy mud and slippery singletrack.
    A surprise, as l ran those on my Kona and they were superb.
    Maybe they are a harder compound version. Anyway, l fitted some Continental Mountain King ll's and it's way better.
    Depends on the trails you have in Spain, if that's where you live. If it's drier and more dusty you may be fine.
    Where l live (Peak District UK) we've had major flooding and torrential rain so everywhere is really muddy.
    In fact we avoid some trails altogether due to the damage that can be caused by bikes in this weather.
    Try it out before you start throwing money at new tyres.
    I'll refit the Maxxis Ardents in the Spring.

mtbr member
    Ha! Thought I was being clever with the 'mostazo' - Mondraker being Spanish, n'all... I live in the Holme Valley, so I can't be far from you. Been horrendous, hasn't it? River outside my house started to overflow, but we're 12ft. above it so it'd have to be biblical to flood the house! Not got out since the end of October, been too busy with work. Going to be a gloopy first ride...

Anyways - been doing some maths geekery - Converted the gear ratios so they can be compared like for like:
    The standard gear ratio your Kona (and my Trek) had in the granny ring would be 14/21 (= 24/36) and the Mondraker 15/21 (= 30/42). That's virtually identical. Looking forward to seeing how it climbs.

Bike shop says it will be delivered Weds - just rang them. Get in!

mtbr member
    Don't forget that going from 26" to 27 1/2" adds 6% to the gearing!

On the trail it is fine. I rarely used bottom gear on the Kona.

It climbs really well, the grip is superb and you can set the front/rear suspension to "climb" which seems the best of both worlds.I can get up anything on the Foxy that l got up on the Kona.

mtbr member
    Would that be 6% easier or harder to move the crank?

mtbr member
    Harder, but as l said out on the trail it is fine, and l am not super fit, tend to grind rather than hammer up climbs.

We did a really hard route over Hayfield in the Peak District the other day and l was as good as everybody else on their 2x10 3x10 and 26" wheels.

On the descents it was amazing, only slowed by my own self preservation instincts.

You'll be fine. Get it ridden! Go out on your local trails and see how the bike rolls over rocks when climbing or descending, that would have flicked your old bike off line or stalled you.

mtbr member
    Well, I've never ridden a 27.5 (apart from round a bike shop-floor). There must be benefits for ground clearance and momentum over a 26er. Can't wait, will post on here after my maiden voyage...

mtbr member
    The Foxy geometry gives a longer wheelbase which feels more stable.
    Also the steering is more direct or "flicky" due to the very short stem.

It's all good. Don't go too fast though! Round here the rain has affected many trails, washing away soil and small stones to leave bigger rocks.

While out yesterday my friend went down a descent at his normal speed and came off, three cracked ribs, stitches in his hip and arm, concussion with loss of vision and hearing.
    He's alright now thankfully and lucky he was wearing elbow/knee pads and of course a helmet.

mtbr member
    Did you get your new bike on Weds?

mtbr member
    Came on Thursday after TNT managed to bungle the delivery! Had about 10 minutes to potter around the estate before I had to depart for the in-laws for new year. Only got back late last night after visiting family (son's birthday), so now it's Saturday, it's wazzing it down and I've still not ridden it...

Anyhow, managed to set up the sag and recommended rebound settings ready for tweaking at least. It looks amazing, what a beast!

mtbr member
    What an animal! Finally got a free weekend to break her in. The local terrain has taken a serious battering but it stood up well to it. Love the handling, stable but really responsive (at least compared to my Trek). Need to adjust my rebound and get better acquainted with the new gearing (kept reaching for the ghost shifter!). Love it, happy customer!

mtbr member
    Yes did a 12 miler yesterday in appalling mud and freezing cold!
    Still loving the bike. Ended up with fork and shock in "trail" mode (middle position)
    150psi in the shock and 65psi in the fork. Fork rebound 4 clicks from minimum. Shock rebound middle position.
    Both tokens removed from fork leg air chamber.
    My weight is 70kg.
    You can go online on the Fox site to find baseline air pressure/rebound etc settings for your weight.
    Then tweak them as you go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The low gear is 30/42 which feels slightly higher than the 24/36 on my Kona.
    But the wheels add 6% to the gearing if you are buying the 27 1/2 and have been riding a 26" so it's probably that.

It's low enough to get up anything l did on the Kona, in fact l have surprisingly posted a few Strava PR's on climbs since buying the Mondraker.

High gear is 30/11 and good for 20mph if you are "cruising" on road or over 25mph if you pedal fast.
    On my Kona it was 42/11.

So l can't match my Kona times on road downhills, but it's not a road bike so that's not a problem for me.
    I've gone down to a 28 t on the front of my Foxy as I'm using the xtr 11-40t rear cassette. I find the 28T a good compromise as the extra antisquat from the smaller CR just firms up the suspension a touch without inducing to much extra feedback in the pedals on the descents. I've been running absolute balck ring on SLX crank but probably splash out for a GX-1400 crankset as it's a tidier set up with the smaller ring.

mtbr member
    Mine seems fine with the standard setup. Initially l was concerned about the high gear being too low, but cruising speed on the road is about 20mph and it's possible to achieve 30mph+ downhill if you pedal fast!
    Not that l need that very much.

mtbr member
    I have now been out 65 times on this bike, according to Strava.

The bike is great, l changed the Tyres for Continental Mountain King ll, with these the grip in muddy conditions was a fair bit better.

After three months the bike started to creak when pedalling, and the rear suspension needed stripping/greasing (easy job done in 20 minutes)
    Also the headset became rough and l received a replacement under warranty.

But apart from that all has been fine. It's certainly been used....l go out on average 4 times a week.

Apart from the tyres l found the saddle had little grip, my bum kept sliding towards the back, and l replaced it with a Charge Spoon which is a lot better.

The bike rides great, it's very stable and climbs well. In descents it inspires confidence, and the suspension works well once set up, which rook a bit of time to get right.
    I initially made the mistake of trying to achieve full travel on trail riding, ending up with the fork set too soft, eventually l realised that the last 20mm is for drop offs and jumps etc that l don't really do.
    I put one of the tokens back in (having previously removed both!) and upped the air pressure, and it was way better.

Brakes are fairly budget Deore but work fine, apart from needing an allen key to set the reach on the levers.

I have used the Reverb dropper post but have not found it "essential" to trail riding. It's developed a little bit of play at the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Got the Foxy size M today and it was a blast riding!!!
    Still need to get used to the ultrafast steering of the 30mm stem, but me and this bike are already best friends.
    The only thing is that I have a bit of neck pain from the in the saddle riding position. I put the saddle a bit forward but it still isn't enough.
    What rise does the stock handlebar have?
    What do you suggest doing to reduce the neck pain?
    I was thinking of putting some spacers under the stem or put handlebar with a bigger rise.
    Thanks!
    2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13639580_10209572273924549_1515107419_o.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13639928_10209572272804521_242867961_o.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13646783_10209572273084528_187368010_o.jpg

mtbr member
    I'd give it more than one ride before you start replacing parts!
    You might just need to get used to it. Do you have the air pressure/sag set up correctly on the fork and shock?
    And tyre pressures.....after a lot of experimenting l ended up at 25psi on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It was my first ride, not much setup done, apart what the guys from the bikeshop did, setting pressure and sag according to my current weight + backpack considered. But indeed, the fork did feel a bit stiff. Or maybe I need to get used to it. I'm coming from 29er XC bike with dar shorter reach, and the height of the bars on that one is much comfortable than on the foxy. I will play more with all settings , see how I get along with it .

mtbr member
    Nice pics, where is that in the world?

Been riding my Medium Foxy R since January. Love the geometry, still getting used to being able to get more weight forward on the bends. Tyres are definitely not mud-friendly! Sure they're great on dusty Spanish singletrack, though. Run mine at about 25 front, 29 rear.

I've replaced the saddle with an SDG Bel Air, which has meant a much happier backside. I couldn't get on with the original. Watch out for the bearings in the rear wheel - mine died miserably due to water damage so I'd get in there and add additional grease around the race to keep the H2O out. Bike shop couldn't seem to order mine correctly so ended up throwing a hissy-fit and doing it myself (self sourcing them from a local bearing retailer - run excellently ever since...).

I've had a mess with stem stackers, putting one thin one over the top of the stem and I've never had a bike so easy on the back. I'm 5'10"...

Love this bike. Good choice, sir.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The pics are from my home trails, in Braşov, Romania, Europe. It's a city with a lot of mountains nearby, basically you can hit trails within the hour.
    Today was still the first ride, just getting used to the bike. Really love how lively it is when up to speed, and how planted the rear is. I think I still have some work to do concerning the fork and shock adjustements + tyre pressure. Got a flat from a thorn on the ground, and thinking of converting to tubeless. Funny that I had only 2 flats on my XC bike in over a year of riding that trail.
    I really enjoy the central position when out of saddle due to longer reach, but I really hope I sort out the neck pain problem, hopefully a handlebar with bigger rise might solve that.
    As for going from 3x10 to 1x11, it is more simple, but the gear range is still incomplete on either end of the spectrum with current 11-42 & 30t chainring. I'm thinking of buying a oneup shark kit with a 50t granny gear and switch to a 34t chainring for extra range.
    Deore brakes are ok, used to them from my XC bike, might switch to XT's in the future.
    Worked so hard to earn the cash for the bike, that I'm a bit out of shape, didn't have time to ride that much, hopefully I will get my fitness back in the coming weeks.
    Pretty pleased up until now with the Mondraker. It's cool how due to forward geometry, the 67,5 headangle doesn't seem too steep in today's world of more slack bikes.

mtbr member
    I also didn't get on with the standard saddle, l replaced it with a Charge Spoon (as l posted earlier)
    One thing to check is if the bike shop left enough slack in the two cables that run under the bottom bracket.
    Turn the bike upside down and let all the air out of the shock.
    Compress the rear suspension fully and make sure the cables don't touch the bottom bracket. Mine were stretched tight!
    Adjust if necessary.

I fitted a pair of Mountain Kings to replace the standard tyres and it was a lot better in the UK "summer" mud/rain.

mtbr member
    I'm still not fully in shape and can struggle on some of the hills locally... My first major upgrade is defo going to be the Shark 1up 50t sprocket! Was going to order the thing this weekend, but have a £100 speeding fine to pay instead. Not happy.

Think the green one would go OK or should I go for the inconspicuous grey? OneUp Components Shark Expander Sprocket + Cog + Cage Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles I have the same black/lime 2016 paint...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I would definitely go for the green 50t sprocket, I think it will suit the bike just fine.
    Love adding some color

mtbr member
    What mudguard is that on the front? It looks awesome. I just have the free one that came with this month's MBUK!

mtbr member
    I fitted a pair of Mountain Kings to replace the standard tyres and it was a lot better in the UK "summer" mud/rain.
    What size, 2.4? Are they same front and rear? Chain reaction have some good deals on them ATM...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy82 View Post
    What mudguard is that on the front? It looks awesome. I just have the free one that came with this month's MBUK!.
    I have to go to the basement and check it out. Just something from the local store.
    I will fill in on that tomorrow. It has almost the same color as the yellow/green of the foxy

mtbr member
    Not sure you'll need a 50t crawler gear with a 30t front chainring.
    The gearing is pretty low in the 30/42 standard low gear, l hardly use it as it can be difficult to keep weight on the front wheel when pushing hard up a hill.
    And l'm not super fit! I am 53 years old and got back into mountain biking in 2013.

mtbr member
    Tyres yes 2.4 front and rear. The Mountain King is a fairly big tyre meaning you can run lower pressures if you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I put down a few more laps on the Foxy, and I am nothing short of amazed how well it handles both uphill and downhill. But still, the neck pain does persist, and I really feel that handlebar is too low. I checked the stack number, and 585mm is pretty low for M, where other bikes in this category fall into 595-600 mm numbers. So, I will put a higher rise handlebar. Or does anyone suggest getting the 0mm stem from mondraker? how does it affect steering input?
    below, a few more fresh images:
    2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13823646_10209664059019119_1218563345_n.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13823519_10209664057819089_1681351652_n.jpgcompared to my other bike2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13817095_10209664054939017_252529757_n.jpg 2016 Mondraker Foxy R-13814586_10209664053618984_1572932187_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Maybe fit some bars with a bigger rise on them if you are still struggling with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Already a few months into my Foxy R 2016, and really happy with it. Could wish for a bit more small bump compliance on loose rocks at high speeds on the fox 34 and a higher front end, but apart from that, great bike.
    I am planning to do a small experiment for the 2017 season and change the air shaft on my fox 34 to bring it from 140mm to 160mm and maybe add 1 or 2 volume spacers and slightly reduce the air volume so it would be a bit more plush at the beggining and ride higher in the travel.
    Any thoughts / insights on this?
    Thanks a lot!
    Some more pictures from my 2016 with the Foxy R
    2016 Mondraker Foxy R-vic_1394_resize.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161020_133812.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161020_143458.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161104_091856.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161104_095145.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161104_120201.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161122_114109.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161222_112955.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161222_115856.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-20161222_145947.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-14513676_10210325192707048_1163092696_o.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-14536745_10210325189826976_1411230062_o.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-14571965_10210325189866977_1269011986_o.jpg2016 Mondraker Foxy R-14600795_10210325190226986_1434306316_o.jpg