mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2016 Canfield Balance/Knolly Dellirium something else? As a do it all bike.

I'm looking for something that can pedal up the non tech not too steep stuff but can also handle the gnar and bike park duty. I've been looking at these two and possibly a Nomad. I'm not sure of these which is more biased towards being a better climber/descender or which one is tougher. I'm talking frame only, there will be a 170mm Fox 36 going on it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Banshee rune
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The Canfield Balance is the one that will be the best because with its special rear suspension with almost parallel bars articulated it will reduce the feed back pedaling at best and for the descent, it has a rather forward geometry
    I myself am looking for a used 2015 Balance frame but if you can afford to buy a KNEW ONE rather buy the 2016, it is even better

mtbr member
    Tough call, but good predicament to have. The Knolly is longer, and lower stack. Most ride reports say it climbs well, and can be had stock with a Push 11/6 which is pretty sweet. Climb switch might make it climb pretty darn good, but dunno first hand. My uneducated impression is that the Delirium is a top notch Park bike bike that will do fine as an AM bike, the Balance would be a great AM rig that will do fine as a park bike. Of course either could be set up toward either discipline more. Probably going to have ride them both to see which one you like more. Or just flip a coin, then build it to suit your preference.

Sorry, not much help.

Unit 91
    I own a Knolly Chilcotin and am surprised everytime I ride it how well it climbs. Its not the fastest climber, but anything technical, the bike is a beast. Ive done XC days on it, varying terrian from mid-Atlantic chunk, Sedona, and BC, to park days at Snowshoe. Knolly produces a bike that will not disappoint. The Delerium is high on my list for a Chilcotin replacement.

Being a fan of both Canfield and Knolly, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    I own a Knolly Chilcotin and am surprised everytime I ride it how well it climbs. Its not the fastest climber, but anything technical, the bike is a beast. Ive done XC days on it, varying terrian from mid-Atlantic chunk, Sedona, and BC, to park days at Snowshoe. Knolly produces a bike that will not disappoint. The Delerium is high on my list for a Chilcotin replacement.

Being a fan of both Canfield and Knolly, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Agree with what is said here: Based on the Chilcotin, the new Delirium should be amazing, especially on the gnarly downs and parks and will climb just fine. The Balance with its new updated geometry to get it in line with all the newest lower, longer, slacker rage should be incredibly good as well. Can't wait to ride them.

I'd also add the Guerilla Gravity MegaTrail to that list along with the Evil Insurgent and Turner RFX (not to mention the Yeti SB6, Devinci Spartan, and Nomad)
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. So far i think i'm leaning towards the Delirium.

Braaap
    I imagine the Delirium has a leg up when pointed downhill (slacker HA, more travel) and both have suitable geometry (seat tube angle) for going up. Weights should be similar as well.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If you are looking at the Delirium, it would seem that the Intense Uzzi would be in the same class. Both of them are available with build kits pairing them with a 180mm Fox 36, (that doesnt appear to be available to the public) and coil spring shocks.

The Balance and Nomad (and aforementioned Rune) seem more "enduro" and would tolerate being pedaled morso than the Delirium or Uzzi (just a guess). If you are leaning in that direction, the Yeti SB6c is worth a look and pairs great with the 170mm Fox 36...I am about to pull my trigger on a second one SB6c and will be selling my L, haha. Enduro MTB just completed a shootout that is worth a read, again, if this is the direction you leaning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks worm, that shootout was a good read, the yeti does look sweet too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Imho4ep View Post
    I'm looking for something that can pedal up the non tech not too steep stuff but can also handle the gnar and bike park duty. I've been looking at these two and possibly a Nomad. I'm not sure of these which is more biased towards being a better climber/descender or which one is tougher. I'm talking frame only, there will be a 170mm Fox 36 going on it. Thanks!
    Imho4ep - The changes in our 2016 Balance sound like exactly what you are looking for. Efficient pedaling with our patented CBF suspension, (more info on our new suspension patent coming soon), and ready to get ROWDY on the descents. We have a couple of frames heading out for reviews to Decline and Bike Mag, so look for those in the future.

Balances just hit the warehouse this AM and a local father and son swung by the office to pick their new rides. Todd and Colton, the first customers in the world to have the new 2016 Balance.
    2016 Canfield Balance/Knolly Dellirium something else?  As a do it all bike.-wiersum.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah i'd be smiling too, those are nice, looking forward to the reviews!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    depending on your height, or more importantly your inseam, pay very close attention to the stack of the bikes you are eyeballing. with the longer, lower, slacker trend it seems stack height, especially in the larger frame sizes, seems to be proportionally [too] low, at least for me. this will potentially force you to run your saddle way higher than your bar height for climbing, which fatigues my lumbar. when in the attack position, a low stack feels like it drops my hands way lower than my hips, making me feel on top of the bike, rather than in the bike, when the going gets fast/rough. stack can be corrected by spacers, riser bars and stems, only to some degree.

just a thought that probably is more important to us lankier types than others...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Banshee Rune needs to be on your list..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seankdebree View Post
    Banshee Rune needs to be on your list..
    Yep love mine!
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    depending on your height, or more importantly your inseam, pay very close attention to the stack of the bikes you are eyeballing. with the longer, lower, slacker trend it seems stack height, especially in the larger frame sizes, seems to be proportionally [too] low, at least for me. this will potentially force you to run your saddle way higher than your bar height for climbing, which fatigues my lumbar. when in the attack position, a low stack feels like it drops my hands way lower than my hips, making me feel on top of the bike, rather than in the bike, when the going gets fast/rough. stack can be corrected by spacers, riser bars and stems, only to some degree.

just a thought that probably is more important to us lankier types than others...
    good suggestion, i also get periodic lower lumbar pain. as far as i know stack height is going to be determined by htl/hta and fork travel, what else can be done to effect it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Imho4ep View Post
    what else can be done to effect it?
    generally, its fixed by the frame geometry, and, generally, for a fixed axle to crown height and HA, the longer the head tube length, the higher the stack. spacers under the stem, riser stems, and riser bars can compensate for a low stack height...to some degree.

mtbr member
    Stack heights have gotten low. ZS headsets are just another thing adding to it. Definitely don't cut your steerer tube until you get things where you want them. As tdc_worm said, spacers and riser bars usually are enough to get you where you need to be. I prefer to look at it as allowing more versatility with set up and fit. Longer tt allows for shorter stems and or better fit for taller riders. Also allows for lower stems if someone wants that. Everyone wants longer droppers which means shorter seat tubes, that might affect tt shapes and angles but can't say for sure.

Most bikes can run a longer fork than specified, which slacks it out a bit but helps raise the stack a bit also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    great point about low stack heights allowing for more versatility...but that can be argued in both directions. it seems that most points of reference from fork manufacturers to "internet experts" don't like to see more than about 20mm or so of spacers. in theory, stacking spacers could introduce squirm, increasing stress on the steerer tube. additionally, the slacker the head tube angle, the more aggressive the effective top tube length is reduced when spacers are added, effectively reducing cockpit length (for both seated and attack positions).

with the shorter stems accompanying these slacker geometries, riser stems really don't buy you more than about 7mm of rise (8* stem of 50mm in length).

[carbon] bars run the gamut from flat to most of them topping out at around 25-35mm of rise, with the enve HDH having a whoopping 46mm of rise.

really what this boils down to is bike fit. in my case (proportionally longer legs and arms than torso) a frame with a low stack height has me stacking spacers, even though every other dimension may "fit." if you are of proportional dimensions, stack probably isnt of as much concern to you.

Just as an example, if you compare the Balance, Rune and SB6c in their largest sizes, you will find stacks of 610, 594, and 635mm, respectively. to achieve the same cockpit with the Rune as the SB6c, a rider would have to add 41mm or 1.6" of rise, which would pull the effective top tube length in my 17mm in the process.