Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2014 Trek Slash / Remedy

Spent several hours yesterday at a local Trek demo at Blanket's Creek here in the Atlanta area riding a 2014 27.5 Remedy and Slash. This was to be my first time on a 27.5 and first time on a bike with travel longer than 120mm

My gut told me that the Remedy would be my bike considering what I like to ride. It was sweet, pedaled well, climbed OK. The Slash...I begrudgingly took it out and was absolutely floored!! It pedaled better, rode better, climbed better, fit better - overall, could not have been more surprised by the overall abilities of a 160mm trail bike - I felt like I could race it! It goaded me to do stupid stuff and I felt like I was on a rocket on the downhills. It flew beautifully also.

So, I'm sold on the 27.5. At 5'9", it just felt sooo right. Now to demo a new Kona Process, SC Bronson / Solo and a few others, but, I think I know what I'll end up with. If you get the chance to ride one of these bikes, give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was there as well and although I didn't ride the Slash I had a blast on the Remedy. The downhill sections were a ton more fun.

After finishing my ride and heading back I had wished I got on the Slash as there were quite a few people talking about that bike with the same impressions you had (might have spoke to you).

I will say this the Fuel 29er was a pleasant surprise as well as I thought that rode pretty sweet and didn't feel as "huge" as my current 29er.

This is my second weekend in a row at a demo (last week Pivot) and I have to agree that 650b is worth the hype it's getting. It really feels like the perfect size bike for me. Granted I am the same height as you so that very well may have something to do with it.

I am not a big Strava guy but I was not really pushing it and was just trying to figure out the bike and I was shocked at how fast I was going when I finished.

The Remedy is on my short list for now. Very curious to how those others you mentioned ride (Solo/Bronson, Process) so if you get on one please report back.

mtbr member
    Here's my take:

2004s 100mm of travel = 2013s 160mm of travel.

I used to get all kinds of people asking me why I would *ever* ride a 100mm travel bike at an xc or endurance race back then. Think about that...

160 275 is a dh bike, a race bike and a park bike, just change tires. I rode bike park/dh on 275 140 this year as well as 100-miler.

Bikes are, and continue to be, amazing. I rode the 26" Slash last year a bit dh and bike park and it was great. 275 would be better, for sure.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    I demoed a 18.5" 2014 remedy 27.5" as well last weekend, and agree, it was a great bike. Might change my next bike buying decision. No slash to try out. I'm 5' 10" for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any comments on the new Fox 34 vs. Pike vs. last year's 34?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Subscribed
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

29ers Forever
    I appreciate 650b as the new 26er, but as a replacement of a 29er, no.
    The Slash looks great, but I would probably look at the Scott Genius LT 700 instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    Any comments on the new Fox 34 vs. Pike vs. last year's 34?
    General opinion seems to be pike > new 34 > old 34, lots of reviews and threads on the subject. I've got a 2013 Float 34 on my Bronson and have no issues with it. That being said, I'd love to swap it out for a Pike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I appreciate 650b as the new 26er, but as a replacement of a 29er, no.
    The Slash looks great, but I would probably look at the Scott Genius LT 700 instead.
    Why do you mean a replacement for a 29er? Both the Remedy and the Slash are historical 26 inch. bikes. I tried the Remedy in the 29 inch wheels and it was NO WAY anything I was interested in. A long travel 29er just does not seem right to me. Now as a XC race/shorter travel bike I think that is where it's at.

The Genius is definitely a nice bike but I can't find one to demo. I am curious to see their prices for the spec. I am telling you though, the Slash had a lot of people talking at this Demo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread....the 650b bikes are peking my interest! I want to add a FS bike back to the stable next season. I have a Lynskey Pro 29 that I love in the 29er wheel size, and a Moonlander that is just a blast....Just sold my Superfly 100 AL Elite...was a great bike, but I didn't love the suspension design. I'm more of a VPP or Fuel Suspension type, (I had an original Fuel 90 that I loved)

But I'm interested in hearing more, a lot more on any of these bikes I'm looking at:

Intense Carbine 27.5
    SC Solo
    SC Bronson
    Trek Remedy 27.5
    Trek Slash 27.5
    Trek Fuel EX 29er

One of those I will own next year....now I need some people who have demos near them, (We don't ever get anything good here) to help me out.

I'm 5'10/11 depending if I stretch or not lol....I'm more XC rider, I don't huck or go out of my way for drops and crazy stuff....but if it's on the trail I'll do it. I live in Western PA, so we have climbs, and I don't mind climbing. I like fast Flowy downhills....the more I can rail the better and the bigger the smile on my face.

So Please keep the posts coming, this is a great thread! Need More Info!!
    Climbing Builds Character

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Spent several hours yesterday at a local Trek demo at Blanket's Creek here in the Atlanta area riding a 2014 27.5 Remedy and Slash. This was to be my first time on a 27.5 and first time on a bike with travel longer than 120mm

My gut told me that the Remedy would be my bike considering what I like to ride. It was sweet, pedaled well, climbed OK. The Slash...I begrudgingly took it out and was absolutely floored!! It pedaled better, rode better, climbed better, fit better - overall, could not have been more surprised by the overall abilities of a 160mm trail bike - I felt like I could race it! It goaded me to do stupid stuff and I felt like I was on a rocket on the downhills. It flew beautifully also.

So, I'm sold on the 27.5. At 5'9", it just felt sooo right. Now to demo a new Kona Process, SC Bronson / Solo and a few others, but, I think I know what I'll end up with. If you get the chance to ride one of these bikes, give them a shot.
    Which specific Remedy and Slash models did you ride? Carbon or alu?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Slash 9 and the remedy 9.8.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Baby Bear is in the house
    The Slash 9 and the remedy 9.8.

Thanks mate!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone know when the 650b models ship to stores?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My store had a remedy 7 in yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My store had a remedy 7 in yesterday.

Nice! I ordered a Slash and am counting the hours til it gets here...but I don't know how many that will be. I've harassed the LBS enough about when it will be here, but still without any specifics other than "the first week in November". Fingers crossed for sooner now that I know at least a few Remedies have shipped. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm harassing my lbs for a remedy 9.7 in a 21.5. I got a Giant trance 3 a few months back and love 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was going to get the Remedy 27.5 but when I saw the slash and it was only a few hundred more, it was a no brainer. I just placed my order with my LBS for a Trek Slash 7 27.5. Come January The real fun should begin. No I need to sell sell sell things I don't need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevan View Post
    I was going to get the Remedy 27.5 but when I saw the slash and it was only a few hundred more, it was a no brainer. I just placed my order with my LBS for a Trek Slash 7 27.5. Come January The real fun should begin. No I need to sell sell sell things I don't need.

Agreed. Going with a slash. They are avail now

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_m View Post
    Agreed. Going with a slash. They are avail now
    Available now!? Holy sh*t! Haha! I better call my LBS too see when mine will be in, I placed my order (Slash 8) in August and the wait has been torturous. I don't know if I'll survive another month or two!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Great call! I'm going to start selling stuff for a wheelset for mine! I'm thinking Industry Nine Enduro to

mtbr member
    Really interesting as I'm currently considering ordering a Slash 9 as my long travel/play bike, nice to know that they pedal better than the Remedy...

mtbr member
    would current Remedy/Slash riders recommend a 19.5" or 21.5" for a rider 6'2" (189cm) with a 34" inseam.

Seems like the Trek trail bikes run small, and 6'2" is a tweener.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Really interesting as I'm currently considering ordering a Slash 9 as my long travel/play bike, nice to know that they pedal better than the Remedy...
    JMO, but after two demo's of both these bikes I definitely wouldn't say the Slash pedal's better than the Remedy. It pedals extremely well for how much travel it has but IME the Remedy was noticeably better climber than the Slash. The first time around I thought the slash might have been but I think I was just so surprised how great it did pedal.

The second time (had more time on both bikes) I definitely noticed a difference. Obviously YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    would current Remedy/Slash riders recommend a 19.5" or 21.5" for a rider 6'2" (189cm) with a 34" inseam.

Don't know for 2014, but for older models, definitely 21.5".

As I wrote before, I ride Slash 2012 19,5" (L size), I'm 182cm and with 70mm stock stem I'm on the upper limit (and in some situations would say that I cross it). Top tube is short on the Slash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    JMO, but after two demo's of both these bikes I definitely wouldn't say the Slash pedal's better than the Remedy. It pedals extremely well for how much travel it has but IME the Remedy was noticeably better climber than the Slash. The first time around I thought the slash might have been but I think I was just so surprised how great it did pedal.

The second time (had more time on both bikes) I definitely noticed a difference. Obviously YMMV.
    Thanks for clearings that up, the Slash doesn't have to be a fantastic climber, for those type of rides I'd take my SB95c or my Stache but it's great to know that it is still a good climber and pedals well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got a test ride on a 650b Remedy and wasn't digging the slack seat tube angle. Even after sliding the seat forward it felt all wrong and gladly gave the bike back. I actually liked the 26 version more because the geometry suited me better. But that is why we test ride, to each their own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    I got a test ride on a 650b Remedy and wasn't digging the slack seat tube angle. Even after sliding the seat forward it felt all wrong and gladly gave the bike back. I actually liked the 26 version more because the geometry suited me better. But that is why we test ride, to each their own.
    You know someone mentioned that to me as well, but when I rode it, I didn't even notice it. I mentioned it afterward to the mechanic (since I forgot to pay attention to it) and he said due to the bottom bracket positioning it wasn't as extreme.

Either way, your right as the geometry is quite different from the 26 inch. version so I see where you are coming from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The two Trek Mechanics at the demo mentioned the slack seat tube angle and said they got used to it after awhile. They didn't mention the bottom bracket, but I felt like my was pedaling a big wheel : ) I really wanted to like the bike because I liked the DRCV shock and the 26 version. I could see how the bottom bracket being moved back under the seat tube would help offset the slack seat tube angle.

You know someone mentioned that to me as well, but when I rode it, I didn't even notice it. I mentioned it afterward to the mechanic (since I forgot to pay attention to it) and he said due to the bottom bracket positioning it wasn't as extreme.

Either way, your right as the geometry is quite different from the 26 inch. version so I see where you are coming from.

mtbr member

I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I cannot speak for the Slash, but I test rode both a 27.5 and 29er Remedy this past weekend. Both were XL frames, and the fit was perfect. I liked the 27.5 wheels better. The test trails were tight single track, some roots and rocks, not a lot of climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eBayRider View Post
    I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I cannot speak for the Slash, but I test rode both a 27.5 and 29er Remedy this past weekend. Both were XL frames, and the fit was perfect. I liked the 27.5 wheels better. The test trails were tight single track, some roots and rocks, not a lot of climbing.
    thanks! Do you know what size stem was on there?

How did you feel about the slack seat tube angle?

mtbr member
    thanks! Do you know what size stem was on there?

How did you feel about the slack seat tube angle?
    I honestly did not pay close attention to the components or geometry. There were a lot of people that showed up to demo so they were asking us to keep our test rides to 20-30 mins so I had to keep things moving. It was the Remedy 9.8 - maybe that will help with stem size and other componentry (is that even a word :-)).

I am long overdue for a new bike. My current ride is a 2004 Giant VT1 26er that has served me well. I had not ridden a 650b or 29er until this past weekend. I was paying close attention to the overall feel of the bikes I test. All 3 were comfortable (Fuel EX 29er too). Rumblefish29er said it in another post - to me the 650b Remedy was the bike that was the most comfortable and also the most fun of the 3 I tested. While I will not be purchasing one because of my $2k budget, if my budget was $3k the Remedy 7 would probably be on order right now.

mtbr member
    Maybe they were addressing the trend toward having a dropper, as almost everyone has zero offset. If your SA is steep, you potentially have no way to get proper position.
    Just a thought, not fact or science behind it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Seeing people get so excited over the Trek 650B, with so many awesome 650Bs in the market for what seems like forever...........I just can't get the theme song from the old TV show "Branded" out of my mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

No good

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Seeing people get so excited over the Trek 650B, with so many awesome 650Bs in the market for what seems like forever...........I just can't get the theme song from the old TV show "Branded" out of my mind.

mtbr member

is this your way of advising people to buy a Jamis over a Trek Remedy or Slash?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

I don't know bout branded...how about unquestionable quality? I totally get the smaller boutique stuff....I have a Lynskey for all heck's sake...but, there is still many a time that I turn to Trek, Cannondale, Giant, (Never Specialized for personal reasons) to see what's what. They bring the platform to just about everyone, and for cycling, especially mountain biking, that should be the #1 mission. We need more cyclists, not less. Certainly we have no need to boutique snobs. As far as I know Jamis was one of the first with 650b bikes....and they're a pretty "Branded" company are they not? Maybe not as branded as Trek, but still, I like Jamis' bikes. But I've had serious good times on all my Treks over the years. From my 930 Singletrack, to the Superfly 100 now, and the other 4 in between.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    But anyway back on topic, the Remedy, how did that slack seat tube feel cranking up hills? Was it pushing you off the back? Did it feel like you were sitting on the rear tire?
    Would adding a Setback Seat post compound this, if it does it at all? Would a Dropper alleviate it?

Ohter things I'm interested in: The CTD on the rear shock, is it easily accessed on the fly? or does it come with a remote? And lastly can you guys that own them comment on the different levels of components. I'm thinking of a wide price range....but Like 2800 - the 4200 Carbon Version. Would you recommend the 4200 Aluminum with the upgraded parts over the OCLV Carbon Triange Version with a little lesser group?

I'm asking because I had a Jekyll that felt like that....couldn't handle it and traded it in after 6 months.

Also I'm looking to get another FS bike this spring, and I'm torn between the Fuel EX 29er (I had a Fuel 90 2001 Disc, and it's still my favorite FS bike I ever had) and the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice constructive post there.

FWIW, I have been demoing bikes for the last two months and have been on a Norco Sight, Santa Cruz (Solo/Bronson), Pivot Mach 6, and let me tell you the Trek bikes hung with them toe to toe. In fact when you look at value they are tough to beat for the spec you get.

When I started my search Trek Remedy was way down the list but has since made the top 5. I was really impressed with the way it rode and while I may not get it (or I might), I will definitely consider them in the future either way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

I received my new Slash 9 a few weeks ago and only have good things to say about it so far. As for sizing I ride the 19.5". I am 6'2" and also have a 34" inseam. I had not ridden a demo before purchase so I based my size off of my previous bikes and a little research.

The reach and the wheelbase on the new Slash is what sold me on the smaller size. The numbers on the 21.5" seemed very large for these two categories (both higher than my XL Session). After the first ride, which included steep climbs, rocky and root technical sections both up and down and also fast, wide open sections, I was not wishing for a larger bike at anytime. And that is coming from someone who has been riding X-large bikes since I peaked at 6'2".

As for the bike itself, it is a machine. The bigger wheels coupled with top end suspension helps the bike climb with ease. I was a bit skeptical about how the 650b wheels would feel on the descent but after a few turns and gaps my scepticism disappeared. The way in which the wheels roll over roots and rocks compared to my old 26" bike is night and day. There are a few sections on my local trails that I always had trouble with on my Range but these sections don't phase the Slash.

Having spent the summer in Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton riding practically everyday, I can easily say how much more fun I would have had had I been riding the Slash.

mtbr member
    Sounds good mtay, please can we see some pics of your new bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Here are some pictures of the new Slash:

Flickr: Mark Cam Taylor's Photostream

There is a photo illustrating the rear tire clearance as I was reading some other peoples reviews saying that the frame lacked rear tire clearance. I don't see why you would want to be running anything bigger than a 2.35 unless you planned on using it solely in the bike park.

There is a photo showing the internal cable routing for the stealth dropper post and another one showing the external cable routing (on the top tube) for dropper posts without stealth routing capabilities.

Please no drooling. Haha.

Mark

mtbr member

2014 Trek Slash / Remedy

That is one seriously good looking bike. I can definitely see the Slash being my next purchase. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    @mtayl026

Nice pics. Few questions if you don't mind:
    1. How does it feel to have a 65° head angle ?
    2. Does it still bob when you pedal hard out of the saddle or did they make the propedal a little more firmer ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post
    @mtayl026

Nice pics. Few questions if you don't mind:
    1. How does it feel to have a 65° head angle ?
    2. Does it still bob when you pedal hard out of the saddle or did they make the propedal a little more firmer ?
    So far it feels fine with a 65 degree head angle although I haven't been able to climb for a substantial amount of time so I can't be too certain. It does have the mino-link to adjust the head angle from 65 to 65.6 but I haven't been able to see whether or not the added half degree would really affect the ride.

As for pedalling it is fantastic especially with the CTD feature on the shock. I am one of those people to take full advantage of this feature and always change the setting depending on what terrain I am riding. I did a parking lot sprint the other day in the trail setting and I have to say that pedal bob wasn't an issue.

I feel like a lot of people are on the fence trying to decide between the Remedy and the Slash. In my opinion, the Slash is basically a downhill bike that you can pedal up to the top and is most likely overkill for what most people are going to use it for.

I fall... a lot
    Feb 2009
    Just so everyone knows, if you try and get the remedy 9.9 expect huge wait times. I ordered sept 1st and was told ship date mid November. A couple weeks later date got moved to mid December and as of last week the earliest will be end of January. If it gets moved back again I'm going to order a Bronson

mtbr member
    Thats funny I demoed the Remedy 9.8 first part of October after demoing several other top bikes. This bike does not even seem like a long travel bike the others I demoed felt like I was on a big travel bike. After I demoed the Remedy I put my money down I knew this was the one , the dealer said it would be available mid December I went back to riding my hard tail and said to myself I need a FS bike now (after riding a very rocky technical trail). I went back to the dealer and said If you can't get me a bike sooner you can give me my deposit back and I will look around and demo more bikes . He sold me the demo on the spot. I was shocked because it was his only demo and he pushed Trek to get it to him earlier for a big demo shuttle weekend in our area .Lucky me I was the only one to demo it besides the owner of the shop he gave me a sweet deal. Other wise If I didn't buy it I maybe riding something else and after riding this Remedy for a month that would have been a mistake for me. This remedy does everything so easy and climbs very well everything I keep throwing at it , It takes with ease. I am very Happy . Lots of good bike out there !

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    Thats funny I demoed the Remedy first part of October after demoing several other top bikes. This bike does not even seem like a long travel bike the others I demoed felt like I was on a big travel bike. After I demoed the Remedy I put my money down I knew this was the one , the dealer said it would be available mid December I went back to riding my hard tail and said to myself I need a FS bike now (after riding a very rocky technical trail). I went back to the dealer and said If you can't get me a bike sooner you can give me my deposit back and I will look around and demo more bikes . He sold me the demo on the spot. I was shocked because it was his only demo and he pushed Trek to get it to him earlier for a big demo shuttle weekend in our area .Lucky me I was the only one to demo it besides the owner of the shop he gave me a sweet deal. Other wise If I didn't buy it I maybe riding something else and after riding this Remedy for a month that would have been a mistake for me. This remedy does everything so easy and climbs very well everything I keep throwing at it , It takes with ease. I am very Happy . Lots of good bike out there !
    Cool story bro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool story bro.

lol!

another bozo on the bus
    I just got my second proper ride in on a '14 Slash 8. Initial thought were that I got too much bike, but once I got the suspension dialed, my skepticism quickly vanished. Climbing is great, a big improvement over my superfly100 to my surprise, and descending it took everything I could throw at, launching into rock gardens and eating up the fall line chunder. The bike is very comfortable, even on longer rides, however, just like every other bike on the market, the b/b is lower than what I like. Perhaps a 36 is in my future.

Keep on Rockin...
    Subscribed....

The Slash looks pretty good on paper. Would like to see some in depth ride reports.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Slash

Quote Originally Posted by washedup View Post
    I just got my second proper ride in on a '14 Slash 8. Initial thought were that I got too much bike, but once I got the suspension dialed, my skepticism quickly vanished. Climbing is great, a big improvement over my superfly100 to my surprise, and descending it took everything I could throw at, launching into rock gardens and eating up the fall line chunder. The bike is very comfortable, even on longer rides, however, just like every other bike on the market, the b/b is lower than what I like. Perhaps a 36 is in my future.
    Wow! that's hard to believe that a Slash will climb better the a Superfly, you sure you don't have a boat tied to the back of your Fly

My Remedy 9.8 should be here next week depending on how slow shipping is with the holidays. I will get a good climbing comparison with my Superfly 100, I hope it climbs that well, shoot my SF100 climbs better then my HT Superfly. I guess we all adapt to equipment differently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Found out last weekend that my Slash 7 would be in around mid March 2014, so I upgraded to the Slash 8 for a steal of a price and it will ship from Trek on Jan 13-15 two month before my slash 7 was to ship. Can't wait. better front fork, brakes and the seat dropper and chain guide. So amped to hit the trails in 2014!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im interested on buying the remedy or slash 650b to replace my trance x 29er, between the two bike which climb better and can you installed 150mm-160mm fox fork on Remedy 650b?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    Im interested on buying the remedy or slash 650b to replace my trance x 29er, between the two bike which climb better and can you installed 150mm-160mm fox fork on Remedy 650b?
    Remedy would climb better, and yes you can fit a longer fork, if you want to void the warranty and possibly break the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been riding my Remedy 9 for roughly two weeks now. Norco Sights seem more playful. Mach 6 a ton of fun, but too squishy for the amount of climbing I like doing. Genius is cool, but too much shit going on.
    A 150mm Pike went on, Zee front brake, 160mm rear rotor, and tubeless with stock tires.
    It pedals pretty f-ing good, especially against previous generations. If I had to knit pick, some bobbing can be felt pedaling fast, seated on level fireroads. The most noticeable trait of the bike is how fast it picks up speed through technical sections. Love how neutral the suspensions flows through terrain.
    The bike does have a tendency to overwhelm the xr3 tires, but work perfect on a 26" fuel... XR4 would be a great match. With the 4k+ ft of climbing on the 20 mile loops around here, I'll keep the lightweight tires for now. haha!
    I love the bike and highly recommend it, along with the Pike. Butter.
    I advise new owners of both Remedy and Slash, to apply extra loctite on Abp and minnow link hardware. I torqued everything after my first ride. Two rides after, the stuff was almost falling off. Everything is dialed in now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Remedy would climb better, and yes you can fit a longer fork, if you want to void the warranty and possibly break the bike.
    Was this a serious post or tongue and cheek.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Remedy

Completely agree on the Loctite, all my bolts were lose on my Fly on the first ride.

Trek racer Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski's Remedy 9.8 has a 160mm on the front, warranty probably wasn't an issue though for him though

Rocks belong
    can you installed 150mm-160mm fox fork on Remedy 650b?
    My Remedy will be set up with a 150 front

People of zee wurl,Relax!
    I'm anxious to hear how the Remedy climbs compared to the SF100. I am selling my SF100 AL and strongly considering the Remedy 9.8 as a do it all trail bike. We have lots of climbing in Colorado so need to know it can climb great. Post a report when you get the 9.8.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mtbr member
    I have been on hard tails for 7 years and I like to climb (until I bought the Remedy now I am loving the down hills.) I never liked any bikes that bobbed or sank into the suspension while climbing. On long fire roads I want it ridged. I took the Remedy out on a demo and hit the hardest climb I knew in the area very steep roots and switch backs tight single track and the first time I cleared it. As soon as I finished I knew that there would be no issues with the Remedy as far as climbing goes . Of course its not as light at my ridged carbon hard tails and you don't get that instant excelleration from the Remedy but I never expected that . Now that I have been on it for a few months I barely even use the complete lock outs on climbs. So yea the bike climbs like a goat but it even descends better. This is a bike I would have never suspected myself buying . Its not super blingy and you don't hear lots about it. It was at the bottom of my list to demo. So I have had Remedy since September and I have been riding it 2-3 times a week and this bike just blows me away. Since the last two weeks I have sold all my Hard tails . The Remedy is my only bike .

Quote Originally Posted by trail topher View Post
    I'm anxious to hear how the Remedy climbs compared to the SF100. I am selling my SF100 AL and strongly considering the Remedy 9.8 as a do it all trail bike. We have lots of climbing in Colorado so need to know it can climb great. Post a report when you get the 9.8.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just sold my 13 Trance X 29er and am looking at A remedy myself

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Trek website told me to put 190 psi in my slash's fork...did i eff it up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What's the max for fork for remedy without voiding the warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

stock

If you talking about travel then I think anything over stock will probably void the warranty.

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THE PRICES HAVE CHANGED ON REMEDYS AND SLASH?

Slash 9 was 5700, now its 6100
    Remedy 9.8 was 5400 now its 5800.

I was also looking at a Fuel 9.8 XT that was 5400 and the XO1 was 5700, now the XO1 has bumped up to 6400, what the hell is up with that?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.D View Post
    If you talking about travel then I think anything over stock will probably void the warranty.

I was also looking at a Fuel 9.8 XT that was 5400 and the XO1 was 5700, now the XO1 has bumped up to 6400, what the hell is up with that?
    This is because the bikes are actually available. Those first prices were approximations and these new prices are the actual price. However you should be able to talk your LBS down to the original prices .

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Remedy

I should be locked in at the first price, I ordered my Remedy 9.8 a while back. It was supposed to already be here, its showing beginning of Feb now.

Rocks belong

Weird. The Remedy 9, 8 and 7 seem to be the same price?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Oops

It would probably help if I look for prices in the right country!!!!!!!!!

29ers Forever
    It would probably help if I look for prices in the right country!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah. Being on Canada's site will do that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any day now my Slash 8 should arrive. Anyone else get theirs yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any day now my Slash 8 should arrive. Anyone else get theirs yet?
    Mine arrived in November...but I ordered in August and stole my shops Demo . "Mine" arrived in Dec. Anywho, I hope yours comes soon, I know how sh*tty that wait is! Not sure what your style is, but i threw on a shorter stem and wider/higher bar (Renthal Duo and FatBar 780/30mm) and it's much more lofty.

2014 Trek Slash / Remedy-image.jpg2014 Trek Slash / Remedy-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice looking bike! The slash will be my next purchase to go along with my fuel.

Zaf
    mtbr member

Re: 2014 Trek Slash / Remedy

Mine arrived in November...but I ordered in August and stole my shops Demo . "Mine" arrived in Dec. Anywho, I hope yours comes soon, I know how sh*tty that wait is! Not sure what your style is, but i threw on a shorter stem and wider/higher bar (Renthal Duo and FatBar 780/30mm) and it's much more lofty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8608 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	861094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6679 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	861093
    Few questions, how are you finding the TALAS damper on that fork?
    Does the fork come with a different coloured Kashima coating like the pictures on the Trek site seem to indicate?
    How's the fit?

I'm in Australia and the eight is the only Slash model available here. I'm wanting to buy either a Remedy 9 or a Slash 8 in order to enhance my quiver given that my Fuel is beginning to feel the limits of 120mm of travel.

I've heard that Fox fixed the issues with the TALAS sensitivity in their 2014 damper, but would love to hear it from someone how it rides.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What the rotors sizes front and back? I'm getting the 18.5 size is it a 203/185 or a 185/165? Also what was the stock stem length? Trek doesn't have that info on the site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    Few questions, how are you finding the TALAS damper on that fork?
    Does the fork come with a different coloured Kashima coating like the pictures on the Trek site seem to indicate?
    How's the fit?

I'm in Australia and the eight is the only Slash model available here. I'm wanting to buy either a Remedy 9 or a Slash 8 in order to enhance my quiver given that my Fuel is beginning to feel the limits of 120mm of travel.

I've heard that Fox fixed the issues with the TALAS sensitivity in their 2014 damper, but would love to hear it from someone how it rides.

The TALAS damper is very smooth, never rode the past models, but it appears that stiction issues of the past from the many seals have been resolved with the new design. It also seems to still ride a bit low in its travel with the recommended pressure, but bumping it up 10 psi works like a charm without ruining small bump compliance.

The stanchions on the website look nothing like what the bike comes with. They are not Kashima coated and their color is much more of a mellow gold than grey.

As for the fit, I am 5'10 with a 31" inseam and am riding the 18.5 (virtual). With the shorter stem and riser bars, the fit is perfect. Easy to get behind the saddle, doesn't feel cramped when climbing.

In summary of the bike, I couldn't be happier with it. I was doing stuff on it my first day that I wouldn't have ever dreamed of doing on my last bike without some serious balls and saddle time--even with the pressure set too low up front.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Dammit!
    Well, back to the drawing board I guess. If I could get the Slash 9 into Australia I think I'd go that in a second. The colours on that bike are amazing.

Don't know why they didn't spec a black fork on the Slash 8 either.

More pics, there's never enough bike porn in a thread like this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

More pics, there's never enough bike porn in a thread like this.

I will give you some bike porn once I get mine in. LOL

Zaf
    mtbr member
    This thread is just full of gentleman and scholars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This thread is just full of gentleman and scholars.

LOL Just pick up my Slash 8 tonight right before the shop closed. Weighed the bike before we left and with the bontrager tubeless strips the bike weighed in at a heft 32.46 lbs. Here are some pics of up close components.

Race Face crank:

The New Evo Link:

Direct mount front derailer:

Rear Derailer with stabilizer switch which can be enabled to increase spring tension and eliminate chain slap:

Rear Brake Direct mount:

Stealthy internal cable routing:

Full Floater rear end:

Rear Fox CTD Shock:

G2 Geometry on the front fork, Fox Evolution 34 Talas 130/160:

Left hand side with seat dropper lever:

Took it for a little spin tonight and felt really tight turning easy pedaling felt very stable now it is time to hit the trails as soon as I dial in the suspension. Overall I am super happy with the way it is setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How do people like the 65 degree HA? That strikes me as pretty extreme, but maybe the rest of the geometry helps balance things out for all around riding, including climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What size of remedy 650b 9 is suitable for my height (5 10'/178cm). I had a chat with my lbs according to them remedy 650b is a top seller and rides better than trance x 650b.

Zaf
    mtbr member

What size of remedy 650b 9 is suitable for my height (5 10'/178cm). I had a chat with my lbs according to them remedy 650b is a top seller and rides better than trance x 650b.
    Apparently go by top tube length, a free people have been saying that it can be a little cramped I'm the cockpit with a forward weight bias. There have been recommendations, depending on your fit, and where your saddle sits, to go one larger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Finally got two rides in today, morning and a night ride. Trails where Space mountain and Hummingbird, both in Socal. Moorpark and SimiValley. 4weeks out since I sold my old Specialized Camber Elite 29 and till the time my Trek Slash 8 650b came in.

Surprisingly the slash 8 pedals on its own, small gear up front and large gear in the rear pedals easier then my 29er. I was blown away with the pedaling of the 65degree rake on the fork. Dropped the fox down to 130mm and tackled the climb with no issue. Best time up space mountain for me was on the 29er with a time of 26:33 and today being 4 weeks of no riding and on a totally different monster of a bike I did it in 28:31.

Climbed humming bird on the slash tonight in 16:09 and on the 29er it was 24:17. Took that climb like it was nothing. Finally with the suspension and the bike dialed into my weight taking the downhill and corners the bike feels 1000% yes 1000% more stable with the 15mm axle and the 12x142 over a 9mm front and 9mm rear QR. The bike stuck to the ground and rolled over stuff like my 29er but was nimble like a 26. Also going from a 70 degree head angle to a 65 degree was a huge jump but well worth it.

I'm really diggin it!

2014 Trek Slash / Remedy

Finally got two rides in today, morning and a night ride. Trails where Space mountain and Hummingbird, both in Socal. Moorpark and SimiValley. 4weeks out since I sold my old Specialized Camber Elite 29 and till the time my Trek Slash 8 650b came in.

Surprisingly the slash 8 pedals on its own, small gear up front and large gear in the rear pedals easier then my 29er. I was blown away with the pedaling of the 65degree rake on the fork. Dropped the fox down to 130mm and tackled the climb with no issue. Best time up space mountain for me was on the 29er with a time of 26:33 and today being 4 weeks of no riding and on a totally different monster of a bike I did it in 28:31.

Climbed humming bird on the slash tonight in 16:09 and on the 29er it was 24:17. Took that climb like it was nothing. Finally with the suspension and the bike dialed into my weight taking the downhill and corners the bike feels 1000% yes 1000% more stable with the 15mm axle and the 12x142 over a 9mm front and 9mm rear QR. The bike stuck to the ground and rolled over stuff like my 29er but was nimble like a 26. Also going from a 70 degree head angle to a 65 degree was a huge jump but well worth it.
    Funny how trails all have the same names we have a "hummingbird" up in NorCal.

I have a Slash 9 on order. So I'm following this thread. Keep the reviews coming. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The TALAS damper is very smooth, never rode the past models, but it appears that stiction issues of the past from the many seals have been resolved with the new design. It also seems to still ride a bit low in its travel with the recommended pressure, but bumping it up 10 psi works like a charm without ruining small bump compliance.

The stanchions on the website look nothing like what the bike comes with. They are not Kashima coated and their color is much more of a mellow gold than grey.

As for the fit, I am 5'10 with a 31" inseam and am riding the 18.5 (virtual). With the shorter stem and riser bars, the fit is perfect. Easy to get behind the saddle, doesn't feel cramped when climbing.

In summary of the bike, I couldn't be happier with it. I was doing stuff on it my first day that I wouldn't have ever dreamed of doing on my last bike without some serious balls and saddle time--even with the pressure set too low up front.
    Do you find your slash 650b a good climber on steep hills?

Im im torn between the remedy 9 650b and slash 8 650b.

the components that comes with remedy 9 650b are pretty nice compAred to slash 8 650b(Australia). It's pitty only one model of slash 650b available in Australia.

BuckyFullerFan
    Mar 2011

Just curious ,what was the weight of the 29er vs, the slash ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My camber elite 29 was 33lbs last time I weighed it.

Posted from a Galaxy S4.

mtbr member
    Seriously considering upgrading to Slash 8 also (Australia) so do keep the pics and reviews coming it sounds like the perfect upgrade for me considering the riding i do.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2017 Trek Slash 9.9 RSL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

Zaf
    mtbr member

Spoke to a guy in the Trek store yesterday, they had a Remedy 9 on the floor.
    The engagement on that rear hub is stunning.

Also, you can get the Slash 9 in Australia, it's all a matter of cost. You need to get it freighted in, which kills your discount margin, but I'm seriously considering it. Even if I get one on the next shipment and wait a few months, that black and orange gives me a hard on.
    2014 Trek Slash / Remedy-uploadfromtaptalk1390254700605.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

29ers Forever

Also, you can get the Slash 9 in Australia, it's all a matter of cost. You need to get it freighted in, which kills your discount margin, but I'm seriously considering it. Even if I get one on the next shipment and wait a few months, that black and orange gives me a hard on.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390254700605.jpg 
Views:	4942 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	863773

That is definitely the brightest bike in that showroom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390254700605.jpg 
Views:	4942 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	863773

I upgraded from the Slash 7 to the 8 once I found out the 8 would be in a few months earlier. Then almost up graded to the 9. But couldn't justify the cost. It is a sick looking bike and I too love the color scheme.

Posted from a Galaxy S4.

Rocks belong
    They really need to put an XR4 on the front of these. I figure anyone buying one is basically getting a spare XR3 tire as that'll be one of the first things you'd want to swap out.

mtbr member
    I tried to get a Slash 9 in to the country through both Trek themselves and buying OS but no luck.
    Ended up with the new Remedy 9 added a 720 bar and tubeless kit and couldn't be happier.
    Next thing to change as above is the front tire...

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by SIX36 View Post
    Compared a 2.35 XR3 to a 2.35 XR4 in my LBS today... Night and day difference. The 2.35 XR4 is huge volume compared to the 2.35 XR3.

I have an XR4 on the front of my 26er and love it. Looking forward to this combo on my Remedy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SIX36 View Post
    I tried to get a Slash 9 in to the country through both Trek themselves and buying OS but no luck.
    Ended up with the new Remedy 9 added a 720 bar and tubeless kit and couldn't be happier.
    Nice looking sled, and great first post. I wonder why they didn't spec these bikes with a longer bar. What does the stock model come with? That kind of baffles me. The tire is a little disappointing but understandable.

mtbr member
    Nice looking sled, and great first post. I wonder why they didn't spec these bikes with a longer bar. What does the stock model come with? That kind of baffles me. The tire is a little disappointing but understandable.
    That's weird, my Remedy 8 650b came with 750mm flat bars and 80mm stem. I swapped them out for a slightly wider riser bar and 70mm stem to dial in the fit.

I also changed out the tires for Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3's tubeless before leaving the shop. They work great in most conditions where I live and were a free swap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    That's weird, my Remedy 8 650b came with 750mm flat bars and 80mm stem. I swapped them out for a slightly wider riser bar and 70mm stem to dial in the fit.

I also changed out the tires for Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3's tubeless before leaving the shop. They work great in most conditions where I live and were a free swap.
    I wonder how they are specing the bike. It is a little strange as when I demo'd the bike it had longer bars (I'm guessing at least 730mm) but have read some reviews saying that the stock bars are too short. I need to take a look at the ones in stock at my LBS. The website does not have this info fwiw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    They really need to put an XR4 on the front of these. I figure anyone buying one is basically getting a spare XR3 tire as that'll be one of the first things you'd want to swap out.
    My Slash 8 came XR4 front and back 2.35

Posted from a Galaxy S4.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    Came with a 750mm Bontrager bar?

I'm hearing the Slash's come with the wide bars, but everything I read about the Remedy indicates narrower (and people swapping).

Would be nice if Trek simply listed this on their website.

My Slash 8 came XR4 front and back 2.35

Posted from a Galaxy S4.
    Yep. Slash wins there. Remedy gets XR3.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast