Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 82
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199

    2014 Norco Sight Build

    The Sight Killer B3 I demo'd was 32 lbs. I fell in love with it, but t was too heavy. I told my LBS it would be the perfect bike for me at less than 28lbs.
    The Bike:

    2014 Norco Sight Build-img_0736.jpg2014 Norco Sight Build-img_0735.jpg
    2014 Norco Sight Build-img_0737.jpg
    Stock 2014 ALUMINUM medium frame in a flat charcoal with gold accents
    Stock saddle
    Stock stem
    Stock seat post
    2014 Fox 32 float 140K
    2014 Fox float CTDK shock
    Shimano XT brakes
    Ice tech rotors
    27.5 Stan's ZTR Crest with DT Swiss 350
    XX1 cranks with 32T chainring 156 Q factor
    X01 Cassette (its what was available)
    Thomson Mountain Bar Carbon
    X-King 2.4 up front
    X-King 2.2 in back

    Weight: 25.75lbs sans pedals

    As a reference, the top carbon Sight build comes in at 26.2lbs as reported on several sites. That includes a dropper. I did not want a carbon frame.
    There is room to get the weight down even further on my build, but that'll be in time.

    It's a rocket.
    Last edited by Goldberm; 11-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    Sweet ride. I really love the sight. In my top 5.

    With the crest rims are you going to use as a cross country bike? Just curious as I was looking at crest rims for my 29er and my shop/friend said they weren't made for what I like to ride. ( nothing crazy although I'm 185).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    171
    Great build! Love seeing more light weight alloy bikes builds. Gives me hope that I'll get my alloy Bronson down to around 25 pounds someday too. Enjoy!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Sweet ride. I really love the sight. In my top 5.

    With the crest rims are you going to use as a cross country bike? Just curious as I was looking at crest rims for my 29er and my shop/friend said they weren't made for what I like to ride. ( nothing crazy although I'm 185).
    I'm 135lbs, so I went with the crests for the weight savings. I'll describe my riding as a mixture of XC and moderately technical trail (occasional 4 ft drops). I'd be reluctant to put the crests on a 29er unless you're solely riding XC.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    735
    Very nice build, I really dig the frame colour. I've got the more in-your-face hi-vis yellow 2013 Sight B1 built up a little burlier to suit my weight (200lbs) and trails. I am loving this bike. Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing 29-30lbs with dropper post and pedals.

    Frame: 2013 Sight B1, size L
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float 34 160mm (spacing it down to 150mm at next service, and install the 2014 upgrade kit)
    Wheels: Industry Nine Torch classic hubs laced to Pacenti DL31 rims
    Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front/back
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine w/30t RF n/w ring and bash
    Brakes: Shimano XT w/icetech pads/rotors
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano XT med cage w/clutch
    Seatpost: KS LEV 125mm
    Handlebar: Race Face SIXC cut to 760mm
    Stem: Shimano PRO PLT 80mm 10deg rise
    Saddle: WTB Volt Race
    Pedals: Switching between XT clipless and Nukeproof Proton flats

    2014 Norco Sight Build-sight_complete.jpg
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    830
    Seeing that build and weight, and also the many great reviews of this bike will put it on the demo list next spring - awesome.

    As a side note my buddy just demoed a 2014 range in moab - b3 build and even tho it is considered a little less versatile he ripped everything both up and down and he's now a believer in the Norco.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2
    great. I am loving this bike. Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing 29-30lbs with dropper post and pedals.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    I've got a Sight Killer B1 . Finding it hard to believe the op's bike is actually the weight claimed . My B1 weighed in at a real weight of about 30 pounds stock once i added DMR v12 magnesium pedals. That was with the standard tubeless nobby nick tyres that weigh 685g each.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    I've got a Sight Killer B1 . Finding it hard to believe the op's bike is actually the weight claimed . My B1 weighed in at a real weight of about 30 pounds stock once i added DMR v12 magnesium pedals. That was with the standard tubeless nobby nick tyres that weigh 685g each.
    I have the same bike as you, and my real world weight is about the same at 30 pounds. That said, the OP's bike has no dropper seat, pedals, and is running a lighter drive train then ours. Plus, the Crest wheel set is really light. I could see how his bike is in the 27-28 pound range. I'm not sure about the sub 26 pound range as stated, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    I have the same bike as you, and my real world weight is about the same at 30 pounds. That said, the OP's bike has no dropper seat, pedals, and is running a lighter drive train then ours. Plus, the Crest wheel set is really light. I could see how his bike is in the 27-28 pound range. I'm not sure about the sub 26 pound range as stated, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Figures quoted by Op seem unlikely . Rough guide of weight differences between his and a stock 650 b at 30 pounds :

    Wheels : Crest +DT 350 vs Sun Ringle Charger Pro = 380 g at best
    Drivetrain : XX1 v's XT twin ring/slx f mech + cassette = approx 500g
    Tyres : Continental X King Prot vs Nobby Nick 2.4 pacestar = 60g
    Fork : Fox 32 2014 v's Revelation rct3 = 70g
    Norco seat post v's Reverb = 300g max

    Pedals magnesium , titanium axled DMR v12 v,s Shimano XT race spd = very little difference

    Saddle of Killer B1 is 60g lighter i think

    Total weight saved 1250g = 2.75 pounds

    That would make the build more like 27.25 pounds maybe .

    To each his own , it's not my idea of a good build for a norco sight. Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    298
    Bike looks awesome! I won't comment on weight as I don't see the point, but that build sho uld work well for your stated riding preferences.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Figures quoted by Op seem unlikely . Rough guide of weight differences between his and a stock 650 b at 30 pounds :

    Wheels : Crest +DT 350 vs Sun Ringle Charger Pro = 380 g at best
    Drivetrain : XX1 v's XT twin ring/slx f mech + cassette = approx 500g
    Tyres : Continental X King Prot vs Nobby Nick 2.4 pacestar = 60g
    Fork : Fox 32 2014 v's Revelation rct3 = 70g
    Norco seat post v's Reverb = 300g max

    Pedals magnesium , titanium axled DMR v12 v,s Shimano XT race spd = very little difference

    Saddle of Killer B1 is 60g lighter i think

    Total weight saved 1250g = 2.75 pounds

    That would make the build more like 27.25 pounds maybe .

    To each his own , it's not my idea of a good build for a norco sight. Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .
    Jack, you are putting to much thought into this. It looks like my educated guess jive with your numbers. In the end though, it's his bike, and he can do whatever he wants with it. My bike on the other hand will most likely get heavier before lighter. I'm thinking of going to Stan's Flows, with better hubs, and possibly a Pike fork. It would address any areas of concern that I have with the bike.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .
    The OP is 135 lbs. I don't understand how the wheelset is a bad choice at all. Seems to make all the sense in the world to me.

    Looks a great build to me.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    I missed the post that mentioned 135 pound rider weight , which is pretty low weight admittedly.

    I replaced my Revelations with 150mm Pikes about a month ago : made a lot of difference to the bike . The Revelations were good but the Pikes take the bike to a whole new level.

    New wheels about to go on , in fact that was the only disappointing part of the original bike : Sun Ringle Charger Pro , pretty light but rear hub is badly sealed , bearings gone in mine at about 500 miles and broke a spoke last week. I'm sure the hub would have failed a lot sooner if i'd bought the bike this time of the year instead of in the summer. Replacements are Flow EX rims , DT350 hubs, Sapim CXRay spokes , brass nipples (1900g exactly for set including rim tape and valve stems). Sram X01 also going on so hopefully i can bring the weight back to under 30 pounds.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Nice bikes. I could be in the market for the new Range carbon. I have no way of demoing one so I am going off the few reviews I have read. Can any of you give some detailed comparisons of Norcos suspension and overall feel comparing to any other bikes you have owned!

  16. #16
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,623
    I rode both back to back and felt the Range was sluggish compared to the Sight but I guarantee that was due to setup.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I rode both back to back and felt the Range was sluggish compared to the Sight but I guarantee that was due to setup.
    Being the Range and Site have the same suspension platform, I meant the Sight vs. any other suspension design you guys have been on.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    Very nice build, I really dig the frame colour. I've got the more in-your-face hi-vis yellow 2013 Sight B1 built up a little burlier to suit my weight (200lbs) and trails. I am loving this bike. Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing 29-30lbs with dropper post and pedals.

    Frame: 2013 Sight B1, size L
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float 34 160mm (spacing it down to 150mm at next service, and install the 2014 upgrade kit)
    Wheels: Industry Nine Torch classic hubs laced to Pacenti DL31 rims
    Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front/back
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine w/30t RF n/w ring and bash
    Brakes: Shimano XT w/icetech pads/rotors
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano XT med cage w/clutch
    Seatpost: KS LEV 125mm
    Handlebar: Race Face SIXC cut to 760mm
    Stem: Shimano PRO PLT 80mm 10deg rise
    Saddle: WTB Volt Race
    Pedals: Switching between XT clipless and Nukeproof Proton flats

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sight_complete.jpg 
Views:	7385 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	846442
    So what can the Range do that the Sight can't, particulary built up like this?

    Looking at both and leaning towards the trail bike as I don't expect to ever get really airborne. I do live 20 minutes from Blackrock but the built up structures are not my thing. On the other hand I'm currently 220 and if the Range can handle normal trail style riding better for my weight I'll go that way.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHijinks View Post
    So what can the Range do that the Sight can't, particulary built up like this?

    Looking at both and leaning towards the trail bike as I don't expect to ever get really airborne. I do live 20 minutes from Blackrock but the built up structures are not my thing. On the other hand I'm currently 220 and if the Range can handle normal trail style riding better for my weight I'll go that way.
    A Range won't handle your weight any better then a Sight. It is just a matter of setting up the suspension to match your weight on either bike. I ride Blackrock on my Sight without any issues. I'm not a air guy or much on hitting the features. I do a fair amount of single track with some XC mixed in, and the Sight has proven to be a great do it all bike for me.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    I'm about 175 pounds and use the sight for trail riding .Overall i'd say style of riding is enduro ish , mostly natural trails and as much single track and technical descents as i can find . Not really into jumping but when the bike is in the air it feels stable and safe relative to other bikes i've owned (Marin B17, Marin Mountvision 2000,Turner 5spot 2006) .

    The suspension is very plush and works well . The turner had excellent rear suspension with a fox coil DHX5? with the piggy back reservoir. It's hard to compare the 2 to be honest as there were so many settings to play with on the older DH shock including pro pedal : i'd say the Norcos suspension is more active , you can sit and pedal through pretty rough terrain comfortably in open and trail settings .Climb setting tightens things up a bit more , i don't tend to use it much apart from on the road. Even in climb setting you will get some bob if you sprint out of the saddle. I've not ridden anything yet where i've felt the suspension was out of it's depth . Certainly the Rock Shock Revelation would start struggling on very rocky terrain before the rear suspension.

  21. #21
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,623
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Being the Range and Site have the same suspension platform, I meant the Sight vs. any other suspension design you guys have been on.
    I rode the Intense Carbine 275 the same day and felt that the Carbine pedaled like the Sight but had 20mm more travel. It felt less active than the Sight or Range, but it also climbed better because of this. The Range felt like a downhill bike by comparison, but I did notice the low-bb. If I got the Range I'd put a 180mm fork on the front (Fox 36?) and do the 170mm conversion in the rear to raise the BB up.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Figures quoted by Op seem unlikely . Rough guide of weight differences between his and a stock 650 b at 30 pounds :

    Wheels : Crest +DT 350 vs Sun Ringle Charger Pro = 380 g at best
    Drivetrain : XX1 v's XT twin ring/slx f mech + cassette = approx 500g
    Tyres : Continental X King Prot vs Nobby Nick 2.4 pacestar = 60g
    Fork : Fox 32 2014 v's Revelation rct3 = 70g
    Norco seat post v's Reverb = 300g max

    Pedals magnesium , titanium axled DMR v12 v,s Shimano XT race spd = very little difference

    Saddle of Killer B1 is 60g lighter i think

    Total weight saved 1250g = 2.75 pounds

    That would make the build more like 27.25 pounds maybe .

    To each his own , it's not my idea of a good build for a norco sight. Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .
    I appreciate your detailed post. My posted bike weight was from the scale at my LBS. I have not independently verified the weight of my bike with the department of weights and measures. However, I believe my LBS's scale.
    In your dissection of my bike's weight you did not mention the handle bar and some of your numbers were estimates, not facts. And including your bias, you still measured my bike to be within 1.5lbs of my stated numbers (and remember, I didn't have pedals on the bike and i'm tubeless). Not bad for your "rough guide"!

    I'm sorry that my bike has given you such an awful distaste in your mouth. It happens to be the perfect build for me.

    See you on the trails!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Well the handlebar differences would most likely not be much since killer B1 has a Carbon bar as well and i assumed the bike was tubeless as well. The difference between the 2 seats would probably be more than the difference between the 2 bars . Estimates can work both ways : getting the exact difference between XX1 and a mixed XT/SLX group set isn't easy and with your wheel set it's hard to exactly know the weight just from rims and hubs.

    Have to hold my hands up to mistranslating sans as "with " rather than "without" which means the weight you've given is probably near enough. Apologies , and enjoy your lightweight Sight

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    39
    Sweet ride indeed, I test rode a Killer B last year and rode Downieville on it, I also thought the bike was pretty heavy for what it was, I'd love to test ride a 25 lb version of that bike. The slightly bigger wheels felt quite a bit more stable on those trails.. but it still felt like a 26" bike when it came to corners.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    ^Thanks!

    Just to be complete: Here is the photo that my bike shop sent me right after they built the bike and put it on the scale. I did post this picture in another thread, but it'll fit here given the above conversation. I am aware the bike is not in the frame, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Super . But you've made an All Mountain bike into a cross country bike . If i wanted a cross country bike i wouldn't be starting with an aluminium Norco frame that weighs about 6.5 pounds . Its light for a Norco Sight and no doubt would climb well with decent tyres but the compromise is that for the money spent it's not going to perform very well on anything downhill orientated : no dropper post , cross country wheel set that won't provide much stiffness or stand up to punishment , flexy forks , long angled down cross country stem. For the sort of riding this is built for i'd rather have a Scott Scale or a Carbon Canyon 29er. Theres nothing wrong with the components just don't think they match the bike.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    I appreciate your input JF, even though you're my thread's nemesis.
    I'll further explain my choices. Its customized to my riding and terrain. It's a trail bike. It's more capable than a XC, but not as capable as a DH. If I was interested in more DH oriented, I'd have gone with the Range.

    At my weight (135 lbs) the wheels are plenty stiff. For the short and steep descents in PA, the 2014 Fox 32 fork is fine. The stem…well I've been switching out stems constantly. I'm still trying to dial that fit. And the dropper is coming eventually, I just haven't decided which one. I thought I wouldn't want one, but my saddle keeps getting in my way.
    It's a dynamic work in progress as is my fitness, skills, and terrain.
    Last edited by Goldberm; 02-12-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: additional info

  28. #28
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Super . But you've made an All Mountain bike into a cross country bike . If i wanted a cross country bike i wouldn't be starting with an aluminium Norco frame that weighs about 6.5 pounds . Its light for a Norco Sight and no doubt would climb well with decent tyres but the compromise is that for the money spent it's not going to perform very well on anything downhill orientated : no dropper post , cross country wheel set that won't provide much stiffness or stand up to punishment , flexy forks , long angled down cross country stem. For the sort of riding this is built for i'd rather have a Scott Scale or a Carbon Canyon 29er. Theres nothing wrong with the components just don't think they match the bike.
    I think your ignorance is hanging out...

    For a super light rider like that, you dont need a 36mm fork with a burly wheelset. He made specialized a bike to fit his weight and riding style.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I think your ignorance is hanging out...

    For a super light rider like that, you dont need a 36mm fork with a burly wheelset. He made specialized a bike to fit his weight and riding style.
    There's a lot of ground between a burly wheel set and a cross country wheel set. No one mentioned 36 forks.

    I'm not familiar with the term "Your ignorance is hanging out" I take it English is not your first language.I thought Specialized was a different bike manufacturer . Why would the OP make a bike for another bike manufacturer but build it to suit his own weight and riding style ? That would seem a bit pointless.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    I would say its HIS bike, he made it clear its a work in progress, let it go dude, just let it go...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    I appreciate your input JF, even though you're my thread's nemesis.
    I'll further explain my choices. Its customized to my riding and terrain. It's a trail bike. It's more capable than a XC, but not as capable as a DH. If I was interested in more DH oriented, I'd have gone with the Range.

    At my weight (135 lbs) the wheels are plenty stiff. For the short and steep descents in PA, the 2014 Fox 32 fork is fine. The stem…well I've been switching out stems constantly. I'm still trying to dial that fit. And the dropper is coming eventually, I just haven't decided which one. I thought I wouldn't want one, but my saddle keeps getting in my way.
    It's a dynamic work in progress as is my fitness, skills, and terrain.
    I'm 5ft 9 and riding medium frame . Ended up going for wider RaceFace Carbon bars 785 which meant i had to shorten the stem to 50mm , with the stock 70mm stem the bike felt too front heavy. I don't think any of the present dropper posts are perfect.

    Only thing i really don't like with the Sight is the hose routing with the reverb.If you route along the bottom tube it looks horrible , if you route along the top tube the loop gets caught up or can rub against the back wheel under compression. I ended up turning the post 180 deg so the loop ends up in front of the seat instead of behind. That worked ok but i've replaced it now with a stealth using the cable boss underneath the top tube as the hose outlet , just needed drilling out about a mill and it has plenty of reinforcement round it. Feeding the hose through was an absolute nightmare. KS Lev would have been a lot easier but managed to pick up the stealth (post only) new for £100 off ebay so it was a cheap upgrade. Length of post is very critical , anything longer than a 380mm wouldn't work , and 360mm for me would have been too short.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    468
    Oh man... 25.75lbs for the alloy version!
    Why did I spend so much on my Carbon 7.1 then swap to Race Face Sixx C carbon bars, Carbon X01 cranks and change to tubeless?
    With Std tires and wheels mine weighs in at 11.85kg [26lbs] sans pedals
    With some nice LB carbon wheels I think mine will wind up at ~ 11.4kg [25.08] but hey I'm keeping my dropper post : ) then again.....
    If I ditch the dropper, go a carbon post I could get the bike to 11.1kg [24.42]
    But that would be just plain stupid when I just spent $$$$ on a 140mm trail bike NOT a 100mm XC duallie race noodle

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    That's a beautiful bike you got there, jeffg. Question for you..Do you find that you overwhelm that rear shock at all? Mine has the Float K and I was blowing through the travel quite easily even on "C" mode. My LBS shipped it back to Fox and it just arrived back. Haven't put it back on yet. (More snow/sleet today)

    The wheel set is the best place to cut weight for efficiency. Unsprung weight that spins. Most bang for your buck. Go for the carbon hoops if you can. I wanted too, but for the price, I couldn't beat the Stans. If I break them, I'll upgrade.

    And btw, changing the post from a dropper to a standard post will NOT change your bike to an XC noodle. I promise. You might even find that out when your dropper goes in for service. And is that really where we are now? Your bike either has a dropper, or its only for pedaling uphill.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    @ jeff, nice bike! The carbon frame will offer a completely different ride, don't get so caught up on the numbers. I know I can no longer ride without a dropper unless on the DH bike. Like goldberm said, losing rotational weight is most important so when you are ready (probably tired of spending money) to upgrade wheels, go carbon for sure, not only for weight savings but the ride they offer is simply amazing!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    830
    /\ /\ What socal said... been following this thread and its a way solid build specific to rider, riding and style - which means - well done!!!

  36. #36
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Super . But you've made an All Mountain bike into a cross country bike . If i wanted a cross country bike i wouldn't be starting with an aluminium Norco frame that weighs about 6.5 pounds . Its light for a Norco Sight and no doubt would climb well with decent tyres but the compromise is that for the money spent it's not going to perform very well on anything downhill orientated : no dropper post , cross country wheel set that won't provide much stiffness or stand up to punishment , flexy forks , long angled down cross country stem. For the sort of riding this is built for i'd rather have a Scott Scale or a Carbon Canyon 29er. Theres nothing wrong with the components just don't think they match the bike.
    Name:  3254982-4173396489-50550.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  76.9 KB
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Good move cutting and pasting that " More-for-show " . It will save you embarrassing yourself with more illiterate twaddle. You don't have a Norco Sight so i suggest you jog along and waste your life on one of your many other subscribed threads : worthy gems like "spraying Pitbulls with Mace" ....typical example of someone who talks a lot about every topic but says nothing of worth.

  38. #38
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Good move cutting and pasting that " More-for-show " . It will save you embarrassing yourself with more illiterate twaddle. You don't have a Norco Sight so i suggest you jog along and waste your life on one of your many other subscribed threads : worthy gems like "spraying Pitbulls with Mace" ....typical example of someone who talks a lot about every topic but says nothing of worth.
    You just don't get it. Not every Trail rig needs to have a dropper post, super short stem, Pike, and wide, super strong wheelsets. Putting the components on his Sight doesn't make it an XC bike, it makes it a lighter Trail bike. When the rider is a featherweight, that can be overkill. I weigh 175lbs and have used Crests in some pretty gnarly terrain and they held up fine.
    What does the other threads that I happen to comment in have anything to do with this?
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    Question for you..Do you find that you overwhelm that rear shock at all?
    And btw, changing the post from a dropper to a standard post will NOT change your bike to an XC noodle. .
    Nope, the shock is fine.
    Technically no it won't but it goes a big step along the way : )

    [QUOTE=socalMX;10998617don't get so caught up on the numbers. ![/QUOTE]

    The subtleties of sarcasm are missed on some people.....

    [QUOTE=moefosho;10999267]You just don't get it. Not every All Mountain rig needs to have a dropper post, super short stem, Pike, and wide, super strong wheelsets. Putting the components on his Sight doesn't make it an XC bike, QUOTE]

    The Sight was never meant to be an AM rig its a trail bike, the Range is the AM rig.
    Putting the super light components on the Sight does not make it a "light Am rig" it makes it a light trail bike leaning a long way towards an XC bike.
    I disagree, every AM rig ridden on true AM trails does need a dropper post, any one who disagrees and takes the dropper off to save a few grams clearly has more rocks in their head than on the trails they ride.

  40. #40
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163 View Post
    The Sight was never meant to be an AM rig its a trail bike, the Range is the AM rig.
    Putting the super light components on the Sight does not make it a "light Am rig" it makes it a light trail bike leaning a long way towards an XC bike.
    I disagree, every AM rig ridden on true AM trails does need a dropper post, any one who disagrees and takes the dropper off to save a few grams clearly has more rocks in their head than on the trails they ride.
    If you want to talk about the difference between Trail and All mountain, we are really starting to split hairs. <140mm is trail and 150-170 is all mountain? Or are we just going off of Norcos categories?
    What exactly all all mountain trails?
    I agree that the weight savings from not having a dropper is pretty silly. I only ride with a dropper post now because of the benefits it brings, but I know lots of guys who dont have dropper posts on their all mountain/ enduro bikes and they survive just fine.
    I think you guys are just buying in to the industries marketing terms a bit too much.
    Cheers
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    Who took off a dropper for a standard post? My post is stock OEM. I decided not to purchase a dropper. I thought it was unnecessary at the time because I never rode with one in the past.

    Its a lucky thing droppers were invented…or else you'd enjoy the ride uphill and then be forced to take the shuttle down.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    312
    Nice looking bike Goldberm. I think it's great that you have built it up to suit your own requirements and you seem to be very happy with the result. My requirements are different than yours, and that's why I chose the Range with a slightly heavier build. Too bad people like to criticize you for not building the same bike they would. Fortunately nobody else cares about their opinion. They can waste their time typing drivel while you are out enjoying your bike.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    199
    …unfortunately the Nor'easter, dumped another 12 inches of snow on me. So I'm stuck on my laptop on this forum instead of on a trail trying hard to break my wheels.

  44. #44
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,610
    Aye there's a lot of industry herd mentality c um guzzling going on here from jeffgre_6163 and Jack Frost for that matter. Dropper posts are really nice to have (I've got more than one) but somehow I survive testing bikes that come without droppers. And my personal "AM" bike has Crest wheels and somehow its survived - but maybe I'm not a one-eyed hack.

    It's like you chumps read a bunch of the tripe on MTBR PBike, MBA, Bike (whatever media you jack off to) and decide you want to become all All-Mountain, get AM helmets, AM bars, AM seatposts, AM kneepads, AM pedals and whoop-de-doo suddenly you're all AM. Can't wait till you're both all Enduro too.

    Nice build Goldberm.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reformed roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Aye there's a lot of industry herd mentality c um guzzling going on here from jeffgre_6163 and Jack Frost for that matter. Dropper posts are really nice to have (I've got more than one) but somehow I survive testing bikes that come without droppers. And my personal "AM" bike has Crest wheels and somehow its survived - but maybe I'm not a one-eyed hack.

    It's like you chumps read a bunch of the tripe on MTBR PBike, MBA, Bike (whatever media you jack off to) and decide you want to become all All-Mountain, get AM helmets, AM bars, AM seatposts, AM kneepads, AM pedals and whoop-de-doo suddenly you're all AM. Can't wait till you're both all Enduro too.

    Nice build Goldberm.
    While I agree that some of the back and forth in this thread is asinine, how exactly do you get off with these posts?

    Having a blog and posting a bunch of videos doesn't give you some authority to rip people posting on this site…of course you can, you just sound like an ass.

    The comment I made in the thread where you mocked riding in NJ - that you must spend a lot of money on brake pads - was because in your videos, you seem to do a lot of braking…one in particular, which wasn't even technical, you could hear them squeal the whole time.

    Just because you happen to live in a place with great riding, does't mean you can.
    The comment went over your head. Maybe you're too narcissistic to see that I was mocking you. Maybe you are the chump.

  46. #46
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    While I agree that some of the back and forth in this thread is asinine, how exactly do you get off with these posts?

    Having a blog and posting a bunch of videos doesn't give you some authority to rip people posting on this site…of course you can, you just sound like an ass.

    The comment I made in the thread where you mocked riding in NJ - that you must spend a lot of money on brake pads - was because in your videos, you seem to do a lot of braking…one in particular, which wasn't even technical, you could hear them squeal the whole time.

    Just because you happen to live in a place with great riding, does't mean you can.
    The comment went over your head. Maybe you're too narcissistic to see that I was mocking you. Maybe you are the chump.
    RR = I knew what you were trying to say. I just didn't care about your opinion and still don't.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Take it to the PMs...

  48. #48
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,610
    Socal's right. If you have a problem with what I say and the way I mock people for the stupidity of their opinions take it to PMs
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    I stand by what i say . Building the bike with crests is stupid. There's a reason Norco haven't specced any of the Sights with them and thats because doing so would make them a very weak link in what is otherwise a bike that can stand up to a fair amount of punishment. I can understand someone speccing Arch's instead of Flows as there is quite a big weight saving there , the weight saved by Crests over Archs is a whopping 50g per wheel.

    Those commenting that the wheels suit riders weight and style , sorry i don't get it there are many threads where light riders have ruined their Crests, the rider doesn't sound like he is very experienced so the terrain he will be tackling will grow in difficulty as he improves. Those riders that do tackle gnarly terrain with Crests generally have to ride light and their line choice is often compromised by the fact that if they take the rougher lines their wheels may not survive. The OP mentioned occasionally tackling 4ft drops , probably he hasn't done this much but again even with a 10 Stone rider plus gear this sort of riding or tackling any jumps or even messing around stunting could quite easily lead to wheel damage. In short the strength of the build is heavily compromised for the sake of 50g per wheel.

    Regarding the dropper post , yes a lot of us rode for years without one but if you use one properly then being without one puts you at a huge penalty if you care about riding as fast as you can anywhere other than uphill.If you think that the dropper is just to save you time when your lowering the seat for the very steep downhill ahead where you need to get behind your seat and you could get away with pausing ,lowering the seat , then adjusting it back up afterwards then you don't know how to use a dropper post properly.

    I don't buy into any magazine marketing rubbish , i read the reviews, test if possible , buy then evaluate it ; and not in a "everything i have is great " way either if it's not good enough then i'll say so e.g. Sun Charger Pro wheel set that came stock on the 2013 Sight Killer B1.

    Finally the sans pedals bit : its total rubbish , you can't ride a bike without pedals. Weigh your bike with the pedals: thats what the bike weighs . Manufacturers quote weights with out pedals , but so what, how many bike manufacturer weights are anywhere near realistic ? Not many . Realistically tyre choice will make far more difference to a bikes weight than pedal choice , and i change tyres a lot , i don't ever swap pedals.

    By the way dropper posts aren't exactly new , i had my first one a long time ago : can't remember when it was but it was at the latest 2005 because i fitted it to a yr 2000 mount vision and i swapped that for a turner in 2005. I remember having to order it (original gravity dropper) directly from the U.S. you couldn't buy them in the UK.There was nothing hype about them then , just a tool to help you ride better and faster and Enduro was what it still is now : an off road motorbike race lasting 3 hrs plus where you have timed sections.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,142
    Weight and riding style has a lot to do with a bike setup too. half my buddies ride Specialized Enduros, Norco Ranges and Trek slashes, but they all weigh in the 190-220 range. All the 130-160lb guys are on Stumpjumpers and Sights.

    I'm 150 lbs and a smooth rider, and I can get away with riding a 25lb Stumpjumper with lighter components just as hard as my friends on Enduros and Ranges. If I didnt like to hit big drops and jump as much as I do I could see riding a set of Crest wheels. If I was 135lbs it probably would be a wheel I consider. If I kept breaking spokes or denting rims then I'd go up to the Arch EX.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 12:21 AM
  2. 2014 Norco Sight Carbon 7.1 ride report
    By jeffgre_6163 in forum Norco
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
  4. Norco Sight 650 B1
    By dwt in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •