Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Good job! 2014 Norco Range Carbon

Just gonna leave this here.

I searched and didn't find a thread on this bike, and the Norco forum is really slow sooo...

My 7.1 is on order and I'm told it won't ship till March, late March at that. Not much info on the bike out there and not a peep of first hand experience yet.

Really excited for the bike and also to hear from anyone who gets theirs before me. Post up your experience, positive and negative, any insights on setup, shortcomings /issues and how you solve them, and most importantly pics!

Here's the stock photo of the 7.1 from Norco's website.

SEXYTIME!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice choice, i was torn between the Sight and the Range. I ended up going with the Sight. I wanted something a little less all mountain. I am coming off a Nomad which is a bigger bike i wanted to try something in the trail side of things. I must say tho the Range is a good looking bike! did you end up getting the 7.1 pictured? Any upgrades you are already planning? Man i have been waiting for my Sight for about 2 weeks since i ordered it its hard they told me it will be here any day now! I agree the Norco forum is superrrrr slow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I bought the 7.1 pictured, great spec for the price. Planned upgrades include carbon wheels, possibly Derby wheels, and a wider bar and shorter stem. I already have some XO trail brakes for it since the 7.1 comes with downgraded Elixer 7 brakes. I also want to get a right sided remote for the post so I can run below the bar.

That Sight does look like a sweet bike as well.

mtbr member
    Great bike from all the numbers and speculation I've seen. If I could ever give up my beloved Chilcotin I would definitely be looking at this or the Mach 6 as a bigger hit AM/FR bike that still blurs the lines into the faster all around trail category as well. These light carbon 6" bikes are really game changers/quiver killers.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Beaterdit, I recently got this message from Norco on Pinkbike, "The Range LE frame kit is on schedule to arrive in dealers around the third week of February." so I would suggest checking with your dealer. My local dealer has only 3 of the first runs and they are all spoken for so I went out of state with Matt @ Billy Goat Bikes. He has a healthy stock coming in, if you want your bike sooner you might want to check with him.

If I decide to stick with the Range over the Knolly Warden(currently have a deposit on the LE frameset that comes with a stealth Reverb) this is close to what my build would look like, only difference is I have Next SL crankset (XTR cassette with 42t OneUp) and Derby wide carbon wheels with Straitline Amp pedals (might change) and Easton Havoc 35mm cockpit with 800mm carbon bars. So basically it would be this frame or a bright green alloy Warden! Im doing this trying to decide!

mtbr member
    The Norco bikes sure do look great and I have heard many good things about them as well. Give Matt at Billy Goat Bikes a shout. He is a stellar guy to work with.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    I would go with the one that fits you the best. Suspension, weight, rideabilty can all be factors to some degree, but I think ideal fit and feel trumps all and why I find myself coming back to medium Warden at 5'10". All sizing specs are nailed except for really short seat tube, but can be easily remedied by just making my post even higher on climbs. How does large Warden vs large Range stack up for you with sizing?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    They are pretty close, effective top tube, the Warden is a bit longer 625/631, my large Rune is 610 so I gain much needed space either way. Warden chain stay is a bit shorter but close at 429/431. Wheel base is 1189 for the Warden and a bit shorter is the RangeC at 1177, seat & head tube angles are pretty close as well as standover.

If my last contact with Norco stands true they will be shipping framesets at the end of the month (I was told there is a delay on completes due to build kit parts showing up late) and the Warden will be shipping late April the earliest, Knolly's track record is telling me May so I could have the Range much sooner.

banned
    Feb 2012
    How much is the frameset? All I see on Norco site is complete bikes. Does Norco sell just frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    How much is the frameset? All I see on Norco site is complete bikes. Does Norco sell just frames?
    Yes they sell framesets only but they are expensive in comparison to the lower end completes, for me the LE frameset is going to be about $800 less than this lower end complete. I would be getting the frameset for a few reasons, I already have a good build kit, I want the DBAir CS shock, it comes with a stealth Reverb, it has no front der mount so strictly 1x. This lower end build is appealing at only $3800 for a carbon complete!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    This lower end build is appealing at only $3800 for a carbon complete!
    True, thanks for the answer!

mtbr member
    Some more angles to look at for those who are lurking!

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Called the local Norco dealer asking about the carbon Range and the carbon Sight. Was informed that if I hadn't ordered one back in October then I was outa luck as Norco had sold them all and wasn't ordering any more for 2014. WTF???

Seems like pretty stupid business move to me, but what the heck do I know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
    Called the local Norco dealer asking about the carbon Range and the carbon Sight. Was informed that if I hadn't ordered one back in October then I was outa luck as Norco had sold them all and wasn't ordering any more for 2014. WTF???

Seems like pretty stupid business move to me, but what the heck do I know?
    There is a link above, call Matt @ Billy Goat Bikes. Sounds like your LBS was late in getting orders in. I am sure Norco already has homes for all of them as bike shops have ordered X amount of completes and framesets for this first run but that doesn't mean they all have customers names on them yet.

mtbr member
    I do believe that some bike companies, especially some of these smaller ones, only make so many per year. I am sure they do the best they can to try and predict how many may sell. They do it partially to avoid having huge amounts of stock left over when the next year model comes out. I am sure their are other reasons as well, but I remember Norco running out of the bike I wanted last year.

As stated before, if your LBS does not have them, try calling around. See if Billy Goat Bikes has some.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Call Matt at Billy Goat i bet he has what you are looking for! better do it fast tho!

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the heads up about Matt and Billy Goat. He sounds like a good option but I have to admit I feel pretty uncomfortable with the idea of laying down over 3K on something without having at least physically touched the thing first. I know its a good (great) product, but still....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi all,

Great thread, lots of interesting info. I wonder if anyone can chime in with an experienced comparison of Sight and Range, particularly regarding what sort of riding would have the Sight out of its depth compared to the Range. I've read many people 'in the know' have been riding the Sight instead of the Range, but I don't have a good idea of what type of terrain/riding that applies to. I'm down here in New Zealand so finding demo bikes to answer my own question is essentially impossible . I'm looking for something to blast trails, but also handle some man-made jumps/drops/gaps). I'm not talking Whistler style DH/freeride or DJ, but some of the features are pretty stout.
    I'm also considering the Kona Process 134 and 153, and have a similar dilemma figuring out the capabilities of the smaller travel bike in that case also.
    Thanks for any advice, its difficult to come by in my local circles as Norcos are very rare down here in NZ.

mtbr member
    This response just came in on Facebook, I asked Norco for an update on a release date and this is what they said- "The ETA is in the first week of March to arrive in the Vancouver warehouse. It will take another week or so to make it to retail."

Guessing the end of March.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yup, that's what I'm told. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That sucks - another month and half with no bike!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Norco has about 175 different models of bike. Not all are available everywhere. When they make a production run its a ton of units. Its not easy to make changes to a production run so unfortunately sometimes they sell out There are only so many factories making all the Carbon bikes in the world. I have heard 3 but Im not sure if thats correct. So they are in line over a year in advance. Its not an easy process to add more units. I do wish they had made more but thats how it goes. I do have few Range carbons that are not pre sold. We ordered early and most builds are oversold. If you have one on order, you better make sure your dealer is in the actual production line and not in the oversold and hope I get one line. If you dont get a deposit on one soon, you probably wont get one. By the time they arrive we will be sold out. Im not trying to be a pressureful jackass salesman here, just realistic.

[QUOTE] I wonder if anyone can chime in with an experienced comparison of Sight and Range/QUOTE]

Here is how I like to compare the two bikes. If I am lucky enough to have 2 bikes, them one will be a Downhill bike and the other a Trail, like the Sight. If I only have one bike to do it all then the Range is the only way to go. You can take the Range to the bike park or do some all mountain riding. I could do some jump lines and smaller drops on the Sight but nothing big. It depends on your style more than anything else. I will say that the Sight really needs a bigger fork to take anything major. The 150mm pike is a popular upgrade.

Thanks,

Matt
    Billy Goat Bikes
    matt@billygoatbikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info Matt - I've had my money down on a 7.2 since last October; hopefully that counts as an early enough placed deposit.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the industry insight Matt, it can be quite frustrating for a consumer. I think it's great for Norco to getting the much deserved publicity lately in the carbon Sight reviews. I mentioned in another thread the fact that the Sight would probably kick the 5010 (solo's) butt in a head to head but SC will still sell a ton more units being the marketing giant's they are.

Get those deposits in folks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Matt's the man. He provided some amazing, no pressure, customer service. The kind of guy you want to buy from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can i add another Matts the man.

Im a kiwi living and riding in asia. Do u think i could order my dream Range carbon LE anywhere.

Matt has hooked me up with a bike (on the way) and put up with all my changes (daily). Also added great advice when needed.

Norco u need to give him some type of dealer bonus. Just look at how many people ref his name on this site.

Thanks again Matt, hope u all enjoying the snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I second the vote for a cool dealer bonus.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Spoke to dealer I'm buying the 7.2 from today and now Norco is quoting April for delivery - April!!!!

mtbr member
    Yup, Chinese new year. Even the ports here in Los Angeles pretty much get shut down during this period. Much delay...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Fair point - I get the delay it's more the lack of communication and setting expectations correctly that bugs me more than anything. If they'd said April at the beginning of the year (or even back in Oct 2013 when I booked the bike) then I may have jumped to the Kona Process but I may have to just suck it up. To be fair the bike dealer is doing it's best to help me out. Just got off the phone with the Kona dealer in town and only XL's and M's being shipped - no L's to be had. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hang in there my friend. It will show up. When it does, it'll rip.

mtbr member

2014 Norco Range Carbon

Maybe cancel your order? I know Matt at Billy Goats has a good Norco inventory.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I checked back in with my local shop and he said they *should* ship in early March rather than late March. Hopefully have my bike by the end of the month at the latest then. Hopefully.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just popped into the dealer to speak to them (after popping to the Kona dealer to take a quick spin on a Process 153) and they tell me they won't have any Ranges in until April (even their demo models) - no clear explanation of why. I took a look at the Sight Carbon 7.1 while I was there and that is a really, really nice looking bike.

Hope you get your in March - let us know what it's like when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wow, that's a smoking hot looking bike. It's a good thing that wasn't in stock at the Devinci/Norco dealer when I bought my Troy. That'd be a tough decision to make. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The wait will be worth it boyzzzz, its sick!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That Troy is a stunning looking bike - it was only the travel and that Norco HQ is really close by that swung it for me. It was touch and go between the Range, Troy and Process.

Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Wow, that's a smoking hot looking bike. It's a good thing that wasn't in stock at the Devinci/Norco dealer when I bought my Troy. That'd be a tough decision to make. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just curious, why'd you opt for the range over the process? The way people talk about it makes it sound insane

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    In addition to my proximity to Norco (I'm in Victoria and they're just across the water from me) and the 6" travel, a buddy of mine has the aluminium 2013 model (XL) which I rode on our regular trails - in spite of it being a size too big for me it was awesome, climbed like a goat. At that time I had no access to a Process I could try on a trail.

But you know what, as another poster said I'm not sure any decision would be a bad one - Process, Range or even a Troy; how bad could it be

Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Just curious, why'd you opt for the range over the process? The way people talk about it makes it sound insane

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anyone got any news on Range Carbon LE due date.

Is it christmas or is it Feb 15.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I know what you mean - feels like I've been waiting for ever as well. Latest news I had was April for my 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by pupjohnson View Post
    Anyone got any news on Range Carbon LE due date.

Is it christmas or is it Feb 15.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The latest I've heard is April for the first orders and possibly May for later deliveries. The delay is due to parts orders from other manufacturers since Norco are smaller and therefore behind companies like Trek and Specialized.

I hope the truckers on strike aren't affecting the delivery dates!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Norco why not put out some information to update the people. Some of us have payed in full and would like an update.

Am sure we can all understand delays, just let us know the true story. If parts the problem i would have ordered the frame and built it myself. But again i dont know what are the delays we all talk about.

Am sure tooooo that it will be well worth the wait. But its a lot of my money getting interest in someone elses bank. BUt the wait will be worth it i keep telling myself.

Come on NORCO just a hint or sniff of info. A small taste.

Ok sorry for all that. Back to dreaming about my new Norco Range carbon LE. Will be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You make a fair point - it's not so much the waiting it's the lack of information. At least give us the bad news and we can deal with it - no news just leads to speculation and a general sense of dissatisfaction with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by pupjohnson View Post
    Norco why not put out some information to update the people. Some of us have payed in full and would like an update.

Am sure we can all understand delays, just let us know the true story. If parts the problem i would have ordered the frame and built it myself. But again i dont know what are the delays we all talk about.

Am sure tooooo that it will be well worth the wait. But its a lot of my money getting interest in someone elses bank. BUt the wait will be worth it i keep telling myself.

Come on NORCO just a hint or sniff of info. A small taste.

Ok sorry for all that. Back to dreaming about my new Norco Range carbon LE. Will be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

mtbr member
    Looks fast just sitting there. That bike is going to be a big hit!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I wonder if that's an older photo (if you scroll back through his photo's there's another picture beside an older car) - which if it is an older photo then where the hell are the bikes then!!! (I get it that he's a factory rider but c'mon Norco):

Instagram

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/ldv0tIJdUk/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Fack, my local that has mine on order just told me mid-late april. Said the Rep cited a long list of reasons. Sounds like they're reaching. Huge bummer. All that money tied up and I can't put my old bike up for sale because I'm riding it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    That picture was only posted 2 days ago!

Quote Originally Posted by steveh250 View Post
    I wonder if that's an older photo (if you scroll back through his photo's there's another picture beside an older car) - which if it is an older photo then where the hell are the bikes then!!! (I get it that he's a factory rider but c'mon Norco):

Instagram

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/ldv0tIJdUk/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast