Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Jamis 650B website

14K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Kyle509 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone...

We've just launched our dedicated 650B site Jamis650

Check it out for all the details of our fourteen 650B models for next season as well as the demo calendar for events near you.

Some of these 2014 models are already shipping to Jamis dealers.

See you on the trails!

Cheers!

#7 ·
trailbildr, neg rep is something I've never bothered to give someone because it just seems like such a weenie thing to do, but since you've taken it upon yourself to tell me my post is in the "wrong spot at the wrong time" where should I post it? My bike broke 4 chainstays in a matter of 4 months (I guarantee at least three of the four were manufacturing issues), Jamis claimed there was nothing wrong with the design and never responded to questions I had. If they come on a public forum and promote their bike line which includes carbon frames I'm just letting people know my experience. If you don't like it neg rep me all you want, I'm going to pos rep you just because the rep system seems pretty important to you.

#5 ·
Thanks for sharing Sal. Checking out that AMT... Nice work on the HT angle. I haven't looked into the detail on the Pike 150 but I think there's a spacer in there so 160 should back the HTA off a bit more, which I'd like. Shorter chainstays would be nice but it could be worse.

Monarch plus is a wondershock. I love that thing. DH capable, trail bike perfection.

No dropper is the obvious issue and I'm sure you'll here that all day long, over and over.

People laugh when I say I won't buy a bike without a set of wb cage mounts so I'm glad you guys got that in there.

AMTs landing in the next few weeks is the word on the street from Rob-e-dob. Frame-only?

mk

Reactions: smithcreek
#15 ·
Is it raining in here? Oh never mind, that's just smithcreek pissing on another Jamis parade.

I'm truly sorry that you had such a bad experience with your 2011 carbon XCT. Since then, all chain stays on our carbon dual suspension frames have been re-designed. Not only in shape and size but also the carbon lay-up. The rear axle area has also since been changed and modified.

fyi... we here at Jamis have ALL email communication between yourself and your Jamis retailer. YOU WERE NOT BEING IGNORED BY US. We were simply quiet on the back end making sure that your retailer (our dealer) had everything they needed to satisfy your claims. You were taken care of as quickly as possible with replacement parts. In the end, which I fully understand, it was your decision to choose another brand for a new frame. We were 100% willing to do whatever it took to continue to make the situation right but you had "moved on".

I'm not responding on here to get into a "back and forth". I simply agree that you are entitled to a response and wanted to state the facts from our side. Hopefully we can move forward... you had a 2011 bike and these are 2014's.

I'm not going to comment on this issue any further. I'll be busy wiping off all your piss and working on making our bikes even better for 2015.

Thanks,
Sal

#23 ·
Is it raining in here? Oh never mind, that's just smithcreek pissing on another Jamis parade.

I'm truly sorry that you had such a bad experience with your 2011 carbon XCT. Since then, all chain stays on our carbon dual suspension frames have been re-designed. Not only in shape and size but also the carbon lay-up. The rear axle area has also since been changed and modified.

fyi... we here at Jamis have ALL email communication between yourself and your Jamis retailer. YOU WERE NOT BEING IGNORED BY US. We were simply quiet on the back end making sure that your retailer (our dealer) had everything they needed to satisfy your claims. You were taken care of as quickly as possible with replacement parts. In the end, which I fully understand, it was your decision to choose another brand for a new frame. We were 100% willing to do whatever it took to continue to make the situation right but you had "moved on".

I'm not responding on here to get into a "back and forth". I simply agree that you are entitled to a response and wanted to state the facts from our side. Hopefully we can move forward... you had a 2011 bike and these are 2014's.

I'm not going to comment on this issue any further. I'll be busy wiping off all your piss and working on making our bikes even better for 2015.

Thanks,
Sal
Tsk tsk! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?:D If you could just delete all the reference to me "pissing" that would have been a great answer about 4 months ago, but instead you admit you ignored me and when you finally do answer it's to completely insult me. Nice. That says even more about your company than ignoring me did. Good to know you completely redesigned the chainstay with all new materials and layup considering mine had no issue according to you. Thanks for showing your true colors. I guess I'll have to reconsider what I said about still recommending Jamis bikes when their public relations is like this.

#34 ·
I'd like to weigh in on the 2014 Dragon Pro 650b hard tail. I'm female, 5 feet, 130lbs.

Jamis released an xs frame only for 2014 ($900) (Thank You, Thank You from us shorties)

My husband built up my bike for me:
Fox 120 fork
Sram XO grip shifters
Chris King Hubs/headset
2x10 Shimano XT 165 crankset
Pacenti TL28 650b wheels
Fox Doss seatpost dropper
Nobby Nic Schwalbe tires

weighs in @ 26.9 lbs (Fox seatpost is .9lbs)

I put together this bike package for the big wheels. 29er not really an option for my 5ft height. Previously rode a Turner 5 spot, which I loved but quite a tank to haul uphill. I'm an aggressive rider with about 10 years of trail behind me. I LOVE this bike! First ride yesterday. I climbed like a billy goat on this rig, cleaned technical climbs with gears to spare. The big wheels gave stability and agility.
I'm very happy with this setup, it was a leap of faith for the $4200 price tag. I would highly recommend for intermediate desert/forest trails.

Thanks Jamis!

Attachments

#12 ·
Carbon Synthetic rubber Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle part

After 4 chainstays in 4 months (each one took about 2 weeks to get a replacement) giving me another was not an option as far as I was concerned, so Jamis ignored the retailer that sold me the bike and me offline. I did start a thread in the Jamis section which they also ignored, even though they responded to many other threads before and after mine. Maybe you don't agree, but I think one of the great things about the internet is sharing info. If people are interested can find my thread and determine if it's relevant or not. Not really sure what you would like to discuss through email, because whether or not I'm allowed to post in the thread is not up for discussion. Any yes, if I cost Jamis a few bike sales while possibly saving a few other mountain bikers a crappy experience then I'm happy. In the end, as I've said in other threads I still think many Jamis bikes are fine and a good value. I would just steer people away from their carbon since they have never admitted a problem or answered what they've changed to make sure it doesn't keep happening.

Anyway, I'm done here. I've complained a few times about my treatment by Jamis, maybe this will be the last, who knows?

ps, in case you are interested the score is 1 neg rep (you) and two pos. I probably shouldn't poke the bear or else I'll be crushed in an avalanche of red chicklets!!!

#13 ·
I really like my 2005 Jamis Eclipse road bike (and have had no issues with the carbon), and now that I'm moving to an MTB-friendly area (Northern Va) from an MTB-wasteland (Chicago), I'm thinking that it's time to get back into mountain biking. The Jamis Dragon seems like the perfect bike for me: a reasonably priced foray into 27.5 wheels that's built with a great tubeset (853 Reynolds), and which I'll almost certainly want to keep even if I upgrade to a high-zoot carbon full suspension rig.

TMI, I know. But I felt compelled to share that Jamis has done me no wrong, and I like their bikes. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
trailbildr,

Yeah, that Pike can be changed to 160mm and that will get your head angle closer to 67 degrees. I know about the dropper as well. Personally I never ride without one myself. At the cost and selection of most dropper posts right now ($300-400), I've felt it has been better to leave it off and allow the consumer to go out at get the one they really prefer. There are guides along the top tube for you when you get one :)

Check in with Rob. He should have a demo bike in his truck soon!

#26 ·
People are getting swappy with the droppers now. I know that some people who would ONLY buy a Reverb are getting out of them because of reliability issues. That means that even if you did have one at OEM, it still might cause drama. It kinda reminds me of the XTR STI stuff that I'm sure is laying in the back of shops all over the US still.

I'm hoping to get a frame with Monarch+. I've got an XX1 kit laying around along with a crap-ton of other parts.

mk

#29 ·
FWIW they don't feel abnormally long on the bike. Throw your weight back a little and the front end lofts pretty easily. I spent a good bit of time on one of these over the past week on a wide variety of trails and the geo is spot-on. It really comes alive at speed, super fun bike.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.