Poll: 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team vs. Trance Advanced 27.5 0

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team vs. Trance Advanced 27.5 0

Hello guys! I am planning to get a new bike for my next XC racing season. I am picking between the 2014 Anthem and Trance. They are both the flagship models of Giant. I am a bit confused on which I should get. As far as I know, the Trance has more travel than the Anthem but the Anthem is lighter than the Trance since the Trance is mainly for trail. The XC courses that I race on have some pretty technical rock gardens and such so I really don't know which I should get. Thanks guys Oh and don't forget to vote on the poll

mtbr member
    Get the Anthem!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can you give me a reason Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Get the anthem it is way faster. The trance this coming year goes to 140 mm which would be a little much for xc racing. I have read some reviews of people making their front forks 120 and the y said the are way better on aggressive trails. But either way I would go with anthem. I've ridden both and the anthem is a rocket ship, one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would I be able to downhill the same as the Trance? Some people said that it wouldn't be good to jump with the Anthem while downhilling. Is that true?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ladk387 View Post
    Get the anthem it is way faster. The trance this coming year goes to 140 mm which would be a little much for xc racing. I have read some reviews of people making their front forks 120 and the y said the are way better on aggressive trails. But either way I would go with anthem. I've ridden both and the anthem is a rocket ship, one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden.
    Would I be able to jump like the guys in this video? Enduro Racing with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team - YouTube (skip to the actual riding part)

orthonormal
    It doesn't make sense to consider the Trance if your main purpose for the bike is XC racing. The Anthem Advanced and the XTC Advanced are Giant's top XC race bikes. Either will do fine on more technical trails and jumps if you do that on occasion. If technical riding is your main interest and you only plan to race XC on occasion, something like the Trance starts to make more sense. Or get more than one bike.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    It doesn't make sense to consider the Trance if your main purpose for the bike is XC racing. The Anthem Advanced and the XTC Advanced are Giant's top XC race bikes. Either will do fine on more technical trails and jumps if you do that on occasion. If technical riding is your main interest and you only plan to race XC on occasion, something like the Trance starts to make more sense. Or get more than one bike.
    Yeah I mostly do XC but there are technical trails and some jumps. Would the Trance be used for Enduro mostly? Like the huge jumps? Not like XC jumps. The jumps I'm talking about are in this video: Enduro Racing with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team - YouTube Thanks!

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by vincelam1998 View Post
    Yeah I mostly do XC but there are technical trails and some jumps. Would the Trance be used for Enduro mostly? Like the huge jumps? Not like XC jumps. The jumps I'm talking about are in this video: Enduro Racing with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team - YouTube Thanks!
    It looks like those guys are probably riding the Trance SX. Same frame, longer travel fork and some heavier duty parts. Seems like a great bike for the kind of riding they were doing in the video. That kind of terrain is rideable on an XC bike but not as fast or as much fun as it is on a longer travel bike with appropriate geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It looks like those guys are probably riding the Trance SX. Same frame, longer travel fork and some heavier duty parts. Seems like a great bike for the kind of riding they were doing in the video. That kind of terrain is rideable on an XC bike but not as fast or as much fun as it is on a longer travel bike with appropriate geometry.
    Ok so if I bought the Anthem Advanced, would I at least be able to do those kinds of jumps? Because somewhere in another forum, I heard someone say that jumping with the Anthem Advanced would break the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the Trance Advanced 0 and am mainly a XC racer. I initially bought this bike for enduro type technical riding, but as I began to ride it more and more I realized it would be an awesome XC bike. I took the dropper off and went tubeless and got the weight down to 24lbs otherwise stock. That may seem heavy for HIGH END XC full suspension, but its probably lighter than most FS XC bikes out there. You could probably lose more weight by replacing the Nobby Nics as they are pretty large and aggressive, as well as the 4 piston X0 trail brakes.

As far as the ride is concerned it RIPS down hill and over technical terrain, that was not a surprise. What was a surprise is that it climbed very well and efficiently. First of all, The fork can be dropped to 120mm travel externally and on the fly. This drops the front end for more aggressive positioning and climbing. I can say that having it at 140mm was not bad either for climbing, especially techy stuff. When the climb gets super steep, you'll probably want to drop it though. Otherwise it still flowed very well in tight single track.

The RT3 adjustments front and rear really tune the ride and can be set for aggressive XC as well as Trail/Enduro stuff. The 140mm rear soaks up a ton of course, but the other settings will calm the rear down and make it feel very XC like. The lock out is almost too firm at times, but the motion control setting is incredibly efficient.

I never expected to consider this to race next year because I have an Anthem Adv 0 on order. But I'm highly considering racing this on technical courses and getting an XTC for the tamer stuff. I think an Anthem is a great in between bike, though.

Final word: The Trance Advanced 0 can DEFINITELY be used an XC bike because it can be built relatively light and has great adjustability. I certainly would draw the line there though. Once you get into the >27lb region with some of the lesser spec'd Trances, it probably would be better to go Anthem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I have the Trance Advanced 0 and am mainly a XC racer. I initially bought this bike for enduro type technical riding, but as I began to ride it more and more I realized it would be an awesome XC bike. I took the dropper off and went tubeless and got the weight down to 24lbs otherwise stock. That may seem heavy for HIGH END XC full suspension, but its probably lighter than most FS XC bikes out there. You could probably lose more weight by replacing the Nobby Nics as they are pretty large and aggressive, as well as the 4 piston X0 trail brakes.

As far as the ride is concerned it RIPS down hill and over technical terrain, that was not a surprise. What was a surprise is that it climbed very well and efficiently. First of all, The fork can be dropped to 120mm travel externally and on the fly. This drops the front end for more aggressive positioning and climbing. I can say that having it at 140mm was not bad either for climbing, especially techy stuff. When the climb gets super steep, you'll probably want to drop it though. Otherwise it still flowed very well in tight single track.

The RT3 adjustments front and rear really tune the ride and can be set for aggressive XC as well as Trail/Enduro stuff. The 140mm rear soaks up a ton of course, but the other settings will calm the rear down and make it feel very XC like. The lock out is almost too firm at times, but the motion control setting is incredibly efficient.

I never expected to consider this to race next year because I have an Anthem Adv 0 on order. But I'm highly considering racing this on technical courses and getting an XTC for the tamer stuff. I think an Anthem is a great in between bike, though.

Final word: The Trance Advanced 0 can DEFINITELY be used an XC bike because it can be built relatively light and has great adjustability. I certainly would draw the line there though. Once you get into the >27lb region with some of the lesser spec'd Trances, it probably would be better to go Anthem.
    That was some good info there thanks man. So if I bought the Anthem, how would it compare to the downhilling of the Trance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would I be able to change the Anthem's 100mm travel fork and buy a Fox Talas 120mm travel fork? Would it make the downhilling better or would it be in the frame geometry?

WillWorkForTrail
    If you want big air, get the Trance, period, end of discussion. If you air the Anthem out and break the frame, they will not cover it, while the Trance, they likely will. Giant will openly admit the Anthem is not made with jumping in mind, it is an XC race bike, and XC tracks have small drops, but not jumps. Watch world cup XC racing. If they don't do it in the race there, the Anthem isn't made for it. If you're jumping, get the Trance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If you want big air, get the Trance, period, end of discussion. If you air the Anthem out and break the frame, they will not cover it, while the Trance, they likely will. Giant will openly admit the Anthem is not made with jumping in mind, it is an XC race bike, and XC tracks have small drops, but not jumps. Watch world cup XC racing. If they don't do it in the race there, the Anthem isn't made for it. If you're jumping, get the Trance.
    What if I got a Fox Talas with more air and travel for the Anthem? Would it still break the frame?

orthonormal
    Just because the Anthem is an XC bike does not mean it's going to burst into flames or crumble to dust if you ride it hard. Buy the bike that's most appropriate for what you do most of the time. It'll be fine for those occasions when you ride different stuff.

Wrench
    Exactly.

I'd wager the biggest difference between the frames is in their geometry and travel. One might be a tad bit burlier, but it's a difference most wouldn't notice.

I jump my XC bike all the time, and it's a hardtail. Don't get sucked into the marketing gimmicks. Get the bike that feels best, then ride the snot out of it.

Just because the Anthem is an XC bike does not mean it's going to burst into flames or crumble to dust if you ride it hard. Buy the bike that's most appropriate for what you do most of the time. It'll be fine for those occasions when you ride different stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to get the Anthem. And plus it's so light!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Thanks Andy! I think you've helped me to make my decision. I'll be getting the Anthem. And thanks firnthe video! Those guys are amazing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Does the Anthem or Trance look better in terms of looks? What do you think?

mtbr member
    They both look the same to me.

WillWorkForTrail
    The fork you use will make no difference.

I'm not asserting that an XC bike will magically break if you jump it. But I very specifically ASKED Giant - as a guy who owns an Anthem 29er, and has broken the frame WITHOUT jumping it or crashing it at all - just riding it hard - whether I could buy a Trance and be covered under their warranty for riding trails with larger drops or if I needed to get a Reign - they said they warranty a Trance frame for drops and large jumps. If you read the warranty material though, it specifically says XC designed bikes (The Anthem!) will not be warrantied for jumping, riding drops, etc.

So flame on, ride whatever you want to over what ever you want to, I'm just telling you - if you want to jump it, and you want the manufacturer to warranty the frame if it breaks, get the Trance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For what it's worth, cotharyus, I thought it was pretty clear you were referring to warranty coverage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I'm not asserting that an XC bike will magically break if you jump it. But I very specifically ASKED Giant - as a guy who owns an Anthem 29er, and has broken the frame WITHOUT jumping it or crashing it at all - just riding it hard - whether I could buy a Trance and be covered under their warranty for riding trails with larger drops or if I needed to get a Reign - they said they warranty a Trance frame for drops and large jumps. If you read the warranty material though, it specifically says XC designed bikes (The Anthem!) will not be warrantied for jumping, riding drops, etc.

So flame on, ride whatever you want to over what ever you want to, I'm just telling you - if you want to jump it, and you want the manufacturer to warranty the frame if it breaks, get the Trance.
    Hey Cotharyus, it depends on what kind of jumps you're talking about. I'm not going to be doing those huge 10 ft. jumps. The jumps I'll be doing would only be up to about 5 ft. And I'm not a very heavy person either. Would I still break the frame? I mean it's for xc and I want to get a bike that's lightest as possible.

mtbr member
    You're not going to break the frame!!!!! Like it has been mentioned above if you are racing get the Anthem.

Races have climbs right?? You'll need to climb efficiently. The Trance is more slack and you will climb better on the Anthem. Not sure why this is such a hard thing to understand. Giant has two bikes for two different purposes. Anthem = XC/ Trail, Tance = Trail/ Enduro.

Maybe you should look at different brand bikes if this is confusing for you.

I ride a Rocky Mountain Altitude 730 and my friend rides a Anthem 3. Both bikes are aluminum and weigh approximately the same. Both are set up XX1 and tubeless. Both riders are in the same physical shape and age.

Having said that, I am 3-5 minutes ahead of my friend in XC/ Trail riding, everyday, all day long when we ride together within 1 or two miles of starting. So like I said, maybe you need to look at other brands.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Exactly.

I'd wager the biggest difference between the frames is in their geometry and travel. One might be a tad bit burlier, but it's a difference most wouldn't notice.

I jump my XC bike all the time, and it's a hardtail. Don't get sucked into the marketing gimmicks. Get the bike that feels best, then ride the snot out of it.
    This is why I say so many people are riding more travel then they need. It's amazing my old SWorks didn't crumble going off 3-4ft jumps. How did we ever get in the air on our 90mm bikes.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I have a 12 year old Turner 02 with 80mm of travel, been raced hard, still hammer on it on 2 hr rides twice a week, bike and rims are stilling holding up.

also its how you ride, if your not smooth on the bike and just a fool riding, you can break the best bikes out there.

Ride hard party harder!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Then that speaks incredible bad for Giant and if true I can't see why anyone would buy one.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Both riders are in the same physical shape and age.

Having said that, I am 3-5 minutes ahead of my friend in XC/ Trail riding....
    I call shenanigans.

Let's split the difference and say that at 1.5 miles into the trail you are 4 minutes faster than your friend. At 10 mph average speed, you are going a mile in 6 minutes. So 9 minutes into the ride you are at 1.5 miles. Your friend, therefore, would only have gone 0.667 miles by this time, which puts him at roughly 6.66 mph average.

Today's F/S bike options, despite what we are led to believe by marketing departments, are all very similar. I truly doubt it is the bike pushing you a full 3-5 minutes within the first 1-2 miles.

To do that, you would be traveling ~50% faster than your buddy.

To put that in perspective, that's the difference between myself, a Texan cat 2 podium/mid-pack Cat 1 rider, and a pro on the WC circuit.

If this is the case, I am suspicious of how closely your physical shape is to your buddy, to make no mention of technical skill.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm not saying "You will break the frame."

What I'm saying is, if you are serious about racing, get the Anthem. But I can't imagine those jumps are part of the racing you do if it's XC racing. If you want to do those jumps, and have it covered by warranty if it breaks, get the Trance. I personally own an Anthem. Granted, it's a 29er, not a 27.5. I don't jump it, and I have broken the frame, but then I'm a hulking great 6'4" 215 lb yeti looking freak. I build trails with features on them I can't/won't ride on the Anthem because half the time I ride, it's with guys from my LBS (Giant dealer, among other brands) that handles my warranty stuff. I will likely buy a Trance this year to allow me to ride the jumps and drops I build on trails when I'm in the mood to, but mostly, I'm an old school XC guy, and I ride my (rigid) SS and my Anthem because it's what I dig. But you may have noticed, none of these bikes are cheap. The warranty is a big deal to me because I have a history of breaking stuff. So understanding what is and is not covered by warranty is a big deal for me.

So, in short, you have a choice to make. The BEST bike for XC racing is the Anthem. I don't promise it will or won't break if you ride it off 5 foot jumps. I DO promise if you break it, and the folks at Giant find out you're riding it off 5 foot jumps, they won't warranty replace the frame.

If you want a bike you can ride off what ever you want to, and not worry about whether Giant will honor the warranty, get the Trance. It won't make a bad XC bike, but it won't be as good as the Anthem.

Do you HAVE to ride 5 foot jumps? Or is it something you WANT to do. I WANT to ride the stuff I build on trails. But I don't do it on my Anthem because I'm not rich, and I can't afford to just throw money away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Anthem 27.5's new more stable geometry and bigger 27.5" wheels will take the more tech rock gardens no problem, while still being a rocket ship everywhere else. It's the choice for XC races. If you have 5 ft drops then you had better land right, as you would with any XC race bike, no matter the brand.

I work at a Giant dealership, and have ridden Trance 29ers and Trance 26ers, and had a turn on a 2014 Trance 27.5 3. None of those bikes have been set to my weight. I can tell you I am absolutely spell bound clueless that anyone would think that bike would make any kind of trail bike, much less XC. I wonder if the carbon bikes just don't feel that much more XC because of the weight. I guess I am going to have to get another ride on one and try to get the suspension dialed. But worse than the mediocre pedaling efficiency up the climb was the riding position and slack front end. It made slow speed tight line picking a guessing affair, and climbing soul-sucking. And I love climbing! If someone has managed to make a Trance a viable XC option I would like to know how you set the bike up, because it would really help me sell the bikes to the right customers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    The Anthem 27.5's new more stable geometry and bigger 27.5" wheels will take the more tech rock gardens no problem, while still being a rocket ship everywhere else. It's the choice for XC races. If you have 5 ft drops then you had better land right, as you would with any XC race bike, no matter the brand.

I work at a Giant dealership, and have ridden Trance 29ers and Trance 26ers, and had a turn on a 2014 Trance 27.5 3. None of those bikes have been set to my weight. I can tell you I am absolutely spell bound clueless that anyone would think that bike would make any kind of trail bike, much less XC. I wonder if the carbon bikes just don't feel that much more XC because of the weight. I guess I am going to have to get another ride on one and try to get the suspension dialed. But worse than the mediocre pedaling efficiency up the climb was the riding position and slack front end. It made slow speed tight line picking a guessing affair, and climbing soul-sucking. And I love climbing! If someone has managed to make a Trance a viable XC option I would like to know how you set the bike up, because it would really help me sell the bikes to the right customers.
    This. ^^^^^ Thank you
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am glad you found that helpful, but I have heard from people here and a good freind that the Trance climbs really well. I honestly don't understand where they are coming from and seriously wonder what I missed. So don't thank me too much.

I went back and watched that Giant video twice. I didn't see any drops, and hence didn't see anything in that video that would cause Giant to dispute a warranty on an Anthem frame, but I cannot speak for them. Accept maybe hitting that gnarly rock garden too fast. But if you look at minute 5:00 you'll notice that Adam Craig is on an Anthem. Also watch the trashing Adam gives the Anthem in this video:
    Giant 27.5 -- Ride Without Limits. - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Maybe you should set up the bike for your weight first before you judge a bike, you work at a shop and you probably have shock pumps. In addition, it could be potentially damaging to the fork/shock internals if you run pressure that's too low. Running low pressure on any full suspension bike will affect it's geometry and make it more slack. I have successfully set up a Trance 27.5 for XC and it does climb well, not as well as primary XC machines, but definitely can be tuned as I've listed above. I have a 2014 Anthem Advanced 0 and a 2014 Trance Advanced 0 and have significant time on both. I'd be happy to teach you the proper set up of the Trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, I am a mechanic and believe I would never set a bike up so that it was dangerous or harmful to the suspension. And I also understand the affect sag has on handling, and Cotharyus can speak to just how much time I spend setting every customer we have up on their new FS bikes. Much less how fussy I am with my old '98 ProFlex. The rider who owned the Trance 3 was 195, and I was 225 at the time. The other thing is I have ridden Trance 29ers, Trance 26er, and a GT Sensor 26" that weren't set up exactly for my weight but similarly close, and they climbed just fine. It was a massive difference. Then there are the Anthems 29ers I've had the chance to ride.

There is another thing that maybe you can or can't speak too. Every reference I have seen to the Trance's being good climbing bikes seems to be in reference to the carbon Trance 27.5s. Is there something to that or mere coincidence?

A few questions about your set-up though. First, what sizes Anthem and Trance are you riding? How tall are you? How much sag (in percentage please) are you running front and back to make the Trance XC-able, and what do you run normally? What do you do about the riding position? When I leaned forward to go up the climb it felt like my head was waay out in front of the handlebar and my hands were halfway down my chest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Oh, and the reason I didn't set the Trance 27.5 to my exact weight was because the customer I spend at least a 1/2 hour setting up on his bike was kind enough to let a small group of use test ride the bike after he bought it. I did not have the time to set everyone up, didn't want to mess with the his baseline (he was Army and leaving for Germany in two days), and got the vibe he really didn't want me playing with the bike too much. We know it's not that big a deal to put the settings back, but to a noob who just dropped $2000 it usually is. I really do want to do a proper test with the bike setup for me, but even with that I still can't get over the riding position and slack front end. Going down where the bike exceled, the initial turn in was vague at best. I would turn the bike and hope I had guessed right, and then as the rear wheel came around and the bike settled into the turn, then I would get feedback and would be happy to find I guessed right. I then intentionally aimed for a slow tight line though some rocks and it was horrible. All I was doing was guessing as there was no feedback, and I almost guessed wrong and scarred up his new wheel. The faster you go on the bike the better. Which is all fine and good on trails not here. If you have XC fitness then I can see being able to go fast enough on flat or rolling terrain to take advantage of the bikes geometry and really chuck it through some stuff. But really the bike I rode felt to me like an enduro bike. Something that climbed just well enough so that you could take your time pedaling up the climb to the next starting gate, and then rip down. But it did not feel like a good trail bike that makes the climbs easier but then lets you just let rip down the hill without worrying too much about having to use the brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As I said above, I believe only the Trance 0 could be a possibility to race XC because of its potential to be as light as typical FS XC bikes. So the carbon versions definitely have the weight factor tipping in their direction, especially the 0. Also the adjustability of the front and rear shocks are favorable for the Trance 0. The Revelation can be dropped to 120mm to steepen the head angle some, and the Motion Control settings front and rear can be tuned to limit the trail and rider input in making the bike too active. So with the Trance 0 set up, you can adjust both shocks to either 1. wide open, 2. Motion Control, or 3. nearly locked out. The Anthem unfortunately has only Motion Control and lockout on the Monarch RL AND SID XX, so the Motion Control settings feel similar between the two bikes. When riding the Trance with Motion Control it does limit the travel as you might imagine but will still be there for big abrupt hits. With seated hammering through single track, it really is efficient. Like I said, using the Trance as a XC bike is really limited to probably the Advanced 0, because of the reasons listed above. The others are either too heavy or lack the adjustability to do so.

-Both mediums
    -5'7"
    -RS Revelation 25%, RS Monarch RT3 25% all the time
    -Riding position is with stock stem and but straight TMP post
    -Steep climbing is actually not bad with 140mm set up on the Rev but drop to 120mm steepens the head angle similar to the Anthem (67.5 vs 69 normally)

Recent bikes I've been racing: Scalpel Carbon 26er, Scalpel Carbon 29er Ultimate, Scalpel Carbon 29er 1, Flash Carbon Ultimate, Flash Carbon 29er Team, Flash 650 conversion, numerous SS's, Salsa Beargrease (haha...fatty)

So, I'm very used to riding and racing really light XC oriented bikes, this came to a shock to me as well...believe me

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hmm, OK weight/carbon, motion control, and 120mm setting on the fork. What about the stiffness of the carbon? Sold some 2012 GT Forces and they were "ehh" in my book as far as going up hill. But then had a customer order the carbon Force (same geo and travel) and that thing climbs like a champ. But on the force the frame and swingarm are carbon, and substantial in size and shape due to the suspension design. Trance only gets a carbon front triangle. On the SX the 160 setting takes the HA out to 66 from 67. Do you really think you are getting 69 HA in the 120mm setting on your fork? Oh, and I have a customer who would like to know how much the BB lowers with the fork in the 120mm setting, and how it affects pedal strikes, particularly on climbs? And do you run the fork in 120mm and leave it when in "XC mode"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think this video says all there is to say about what can be done on an XC bike, vs what the company will condone. But they are 120mm XC bikes.

mtbr member
    Anthem for sure, I love mine, its fast, handles great, and I just bought the aluminum framed model and modded it. I'd guess the carbon model would be a little better, but not allot lighter as the aluminum frame is already pretty damn light.
    I hit some jumps on mine that are part of the trail on a couple I ride normally, I'm going fast through most of them and get about 2' vertical but about 4' or more in length, no problems.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I just purchased a Trance Advanced 1 and here are my impressions:
    1. The bike pedals well. Not XC fantastic but it pedals ok. I use the trail setting for most of the riding I do, and switch it to Descend for extended downhills. It is efficient enough to where I never feel the need to use Climb.
    2. The bike rails descents with precision I haven't before experienced. The downhills are truly invigorating and I always felt in complete control.

I came off of a 100mm FS xc bike and it comes down to your preference and what courses you enjoy. There was not much I couldn't do on 100mm, but for long days in the saddle, the Trance is a much better ride. It does have unnecessary weight if you race typical xc single track courses. If you plan to ever race enduro or spend days in the bike park, get the Trance. Personally I will be sticking to my Stumpjumper HT for XC racing because comfort is unimportant to me while I'm racing. The Trance will be my go to bike for everything else due to it's dialed geometry and plushness.

It sounds to me that the Anthem would be the best bike though for the OP.

mtbr member
    I am on the same fence. Anthem Advanced 2 or Trance 1. So I fb messaged Adam Craig since he had ridden both. He has a120 mm on his anthem and loves it. He has taken his AA on some nasty trails with some drops and it took everything he threw at it. He alao made the comment that the trance can be an xc bike if you swapped out some heavy parts for lighter parts. But it can be done. Also the rock shox fork on the AA 2 can be switched to 120mm as the fox you cannot. So for me an xc guy I will get the anthem. But I will test ride the trance just to mKe sure I'm not missing something about what the trance offers vs the anthem.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    This is the fb messsge from adam.

Tough one, Jay. Where do you live? If, for fun, you ride big climbs and proper descents, get the Trance. Do you ride at a Bike Park at all? If you're more on the fast, rolling trails program, get the Anthem. I'm trying to talk Giant into doing an Anthem SX, with 120mm fork, short stem and dropper seatpost. I think this is the bike you're looking for, it'll just take some mods to make it happen. I don't think the Fox fork on the 1 is convertible to 120, but you can sell it new and replace with a 120, then get the post and you'll be set. Racing XC on the Trance IS surprisingly tolerable though. I kept up with Carl up the 3000' downieville climb on mine while he was on an Anthem. The he dropped me on the flats...

Good luck, it's 2014 and you can't go wrong with bikes regardless!

My response:
    First off all thank you for the reply!! I live in Michigan. I'm a 6' 1" 195ish lbs. The trails here have some descent climbs and down hills but nothing like out West. Most of the local trails have at least one or two good climbs followed by some twisty turny single track that flows very well. The down hills have some rocks and roots with some wash outs that might have a 1 ft to 2 ft drops behind them. Nothing over 2 1/2 ft. I would guess. As for bike parks, I wish. That would make my decission alot easier. I am the type that likes the fast rolling twisty turn kinda trail. Thats what some of our mtb race series has. But my main concern is the fork/shock travel on the Anthem. I would like a bike that can handle just a fun day of riding but when it comes down to race day, the bike will handle like a rail. I know the Anthem is the race rocket for the Giant line up but can it aslo be the fun everyday bike as well. Thats why I sent you a message. I'm looking to get the Giant AA 2 or the Trance 1. With the Anthem Advanced 2 that comes with Rockshox goodies that I think can be converted to 120 in the front. And with some parts swaping from my 29er I can shave some weight and make it my own. Same with the trance. Anyway again thank you for the reply.

Adams response:
    Anthem is the call for Michigan. I rode mine, in "SX" trim in Maine this fall on the same kind of sweet rolling techy trails and it was awesome. Plus at day at the burl-trails, all kind of granite hucks and assorted tomfoolery. It was dialed. Enjoy.
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Do you know which 120mm fork adam uses?

Quote Originally Posted by MI-29er View Post
    I am on the same fence. Anthem Advanced 2 or Trance 1. So I fb messaged Adam Craig since he had ridden both. He has a120 mm on his anthem and loves it. He has taken his AA on some nasty trails with some drops and it took everything he threw at it. He alao made the comment that the trance can be an xc bike if you swapped out some heavy parts for lighter parts. But it can be done. Also the rock shox fork on the AA 2 can be switched to 120mm as the fox you cannot. So for me an xc guy I will get the anthem. But I will test ride the trance just to mKe sure I'm not missing something about what the trance offers vs the anthem.

mtbr member
    He didn't say. I will send him a message and ask. But any fork thats 120mm will work. Its all preference on what you like.
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

WillWorkForTrail
    That's an interesting recommendation. I wonder if Giant has changed their stance at all on what their warranty covers on the Anthem frame with regards to the 27.5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's an interesting recommendation. I wonder if Giant has changed their stance at all on what their warranty covers on the Anthem frame with regards to the 27.5.
    I doubt it. I'm not sure that is something Adam would consider. But as has been said before, there is a big difference between what an XC bike like the Anthem will do, and what any manufacturer will warranty should it brake while you are doing it.
    Last edited by jazclrint; 02-03-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Adam runs a SID World cup 120mm on his anthem. If I can get my phone to work I will post his exact messages.
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

WillWorkForTrail
    Right, right. It's like looking at a frame with a weight limit on it. Just because it says 220 LBS doesn't mean it will break if you put that on it.

But part of the reason you pay for a new bike and buy a reputable brand with a good warranty is so that if it breaks you aren't stuck. So I'm just saying, what Giant thinks their warranty should cover the bike for IS actually important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Right, right. It's like looking at a frame with a weight limit on it. Just because it says 220 LBS doesn't mean it will break if you put that on it.

But part of the reason you pay for a new bike and buy a reputable brand with a good warranty is so that if it breaks you aren't stuck. So I'm just saying, what Giant thinks their warranty should cover the bike for IS actually important.
    Maybe you need to go with a brand that believes that their bikes should be ridden off road and in the air.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Maybe you need to go with a brand that believes that their bikes should be ridden off road and in the air.
    Well that's snipy, uncalled for, and untrue. We are talking about a specific model. Also we are talking about Adam Craig whom I'm sure can stick landings all day long. It's also about the trails. I know the trails in the area and have talked to Giant about what is covered by warranty and what isn't. Ultimately its up to your local dealer what they try to get warrantied and what they don't. I use this thing called honesty and am up front with all the companies I deal with and I find I get better service than expected. SRAM is a great example of that. Either way, ask you local shop who you're going to buy the bike through about this. The may very well say you can huck it your heart's content and that they will back you up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bought the Advanced 1…Thought it looked better and would be better for my riding mix xc,am, road connections

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Anthem Advance is for paved path, front lawn or playground... not roots or rocks.

Unless you ride pure hard pack do not buy an Anthem Adance 27.5. The seat tube is the weak link and cannot with stand anything above fire road level stuff.

Had mine eleven months, I ride Patapsco, Rosaryville and Schaffer Farms, MD.

My Anthem Advanced frame failed, and snapped like a pretzel while I was rolling through the bottom of a down and up seated on the bike, in three places, seatube to bottom bracket, seat tube midpoint, top tube. 9 miles into a 10.5 mile loop at Rosaryville....

Giant's response, thanks for your 4k, but not our problem... "rider error". I interpret that as I chose the wrong brand...

...think I'll spend the extra dough and buy a Pivot Mach 4, next time.