Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 with 120mm fork......Thoughts?

Thinking of getting a new anthem 27.5 advanced 2 and making it a 120mm fork. My local bike shop called rockshox and the 100mm reba 27.5 can be made 120mm if a new internal piece is ordered. This seems like it would be a sweet go fast bike with some real trail abilities too. with the 120mm fork, you'd have a 68.5 head angle, and a shorter overall wheelbase and chain stays than the new 27.5 trance. 17" for anthem, 17.3" for Trance. I think this new 27.5 anthem with a longer (120mm) fork is what Carl Decker just won a big race on.

What are your thoughts?

cowbell
    Be careful about pushing the limits on the Anthem. It's designed as a fast XC bike. It's only designed to take hits as a fast XC bike. Although the 27.5 frame is somewhat different to the 29er, lots of people have discovered the cost of the light weight frame is it's also light duty. Before you push into one of these things, ride a Trance just to make sure it won't do what you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode both trance and anthem back to back yesterday. It's hard to get a great idea in a parking lot with stock bars and stems. I'd be coming from a carbon 29er hardtail with 100mm travel, so any rear travel is nice. I figure the anthem frame and suspension have to be pretty burly or the giant pros wouldn't ride on it at some of these big "all mountain" endure style races with 120mm forks. I'm 185-190 lbs, love to go fast up and push it, but am also learning I like to take "sweet jumps". I know the trance can be ridden fast as well though, tough call! I also like the idea of the shorter wheelbase anthem for fast twisty type of trails.

mtbr member
    From your riding description I'd go with the Trance. I think you'll be happier with that choice based on what you described. Both are sweet bikes though. My friend just picked up his Anthem on Monday from a shop in Ann Arbor, MI and it is very nice. I was going to go this route too, but pulled the trigger on a Rocky Mountain Altitude instead.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Wrench
    The Anthem will be able to take what you throw at it, just don't skip on beefier wheels and higher volume tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Zerort,

Those altitudes are sweet, another great bike. I've got the Carbon RM Vertex 29 now, so I know that Rocky makes a sweet bike. Yeah, I would probably put Stan's Arch Ex's on that Anthem....although I'm a little skeptical after having a tire burp badly on my 29er Arch EX and getting pretty badly injured. That's in another thread I started in wheels and tires though. Think I'm gonna sell my 22lb RM Vertex 29er that I don't race and get a "funner" bike that I can feel better about taking bigger "sweet jumps" on.

cowbell
    "Sweet Jumps" - you want a trance. I don't jump my Anthem (bunny hop, but not jump) and I'm currently in the midst of having the frame warrantied. If look closely at Giant's warranty information you'll find that certain bikes are warranted for certain things, based on design, that others are not. Anthems aren't warranted for jumping. My recommendation for a Trance is not arbitrary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wait, you want to buy an XC race bike, and then make the head tube slacker!? But then again I look at any XC bike with less than a 70 degree HA with a great deal of skepticism.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Hey Zerort,

Those altitudes are sweet, another great bike. I've got the Carbon RM Vertex 29 now, so I know that Rocky makes a sweet bike. Yeah, I would probably put Stan's Arch Ex's on that Anthem....although I'm a little skeptical after having a tire burp badly on my 29er Arch EX and getting pretty badly injured. That's in another thread I started in wheels and tires though. Think I'm gonna sell my 22lb RM Vertex 29er that I don't race and get a "funner" bike that I can feel better about taking bigger "sweet jumps" on.
    PTkevin,
    Glad to hear. The Altitude should be here on Wednesday. I'm stoked.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Back on topic: Is anyone using a 120mm for on their anthem. I'd like some feedback if possible.

cowbell
    JRM, in spite of my earlier comments, rumor has it Adam Craig is using a 120mm fork on HIS Anthem 27.5 and loves it. So much in fact, that I'm willing to be we may specifically see an Anthem SX for 2015 that comes factory with a 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A Giant rep at demo days this past summer said a factory specced 120mm version of the anthem 27.5 is in the works when I asked him about putting a 120mm on the front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    A Giant rep at demo days this past summer said a factory specced 120mm version of the anthem 27.5 is in the works when I asked him about putting a 120mm on the front.

I have an anthem 3 with 27.5 wheels, increased the fork travel to 120mm
    I love it.
    It gave me a bit more bb clearance and didn't slow down the handling much.
    At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it and almost went to 110mm
    But after a few rides I was convinced it was for me.

I ride xc trails, was debating over the anthem and trance but the trance would have been too all mountain for the terrain I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi phamtomtracer! I have the same bike model and same plans to make my reba fork 120... Though my local shop told me is not enough to take off the end spacers... Is it true? How you did it?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    Wait, you want to buy an XC race bike, and then make the head tube slacker!? But then again I look at any XC bike with less than a 70 degree HA with a great deal of skepticism.
    why?

mtbr member
    Bumping up this thread... so, i just got myself a 27.5 Anthem 3, and currently trying to compile a parts list of replacements/upgrades. I'm looking at replacing the stock Recon with a 2016 Reba set to 120mm. Someone suggested a Revelation, but with me as a lighter rider (120-130 lbs. without kit) and not riding super-tough trails, i'm thinking the Reba will suit me just fine.

Anyone here did the same? Some experiences with the same setup would be much appreciated.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by zemper View Post
    Bumping up this thread... so, i just got myself a 27.5 Anthem 3, and currently trying to compile a parts list of replacements/upgrades. I'm looking at replacing the stock Recon with a 2016 Reba set to 120mm. Someone suggested a Revelation, but with me as a lighter rider (120-130 lbs. without kit) and not riding super-tough trails, i'm thinking the Reba will suit me just fine.

Anyone here did the same? Some experiences with the same setup would be much appreciated.
    Subscribed
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member

I weigh 155 and ride a Reba 100 on my hardtail. I was also thinking about going 120 on the fork. Its not the most stiff fork in the world @ 100, and @ 120mm its going to flex just a little on harder hits but the Reba is a great fork as long as your not trying to do 4ft to flat, and large jumps. It can handle most anything under those circumstances.
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TR - 2014 IP-106 Chiner - 1994 Trek 2200 Carbon -

rubber side down
    Your stock Recon should be fine. I took the spacers out of my Recon Gold RL to make it 120mm. Now you can use the extra $ to upgrade all the Connect crap, go tubeless and whatever else you want to do.

Too many upgrades for me to want to list, but here's a picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 with 120mm fork......Thoughts?-anthem3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Don't bother with the Revelation. It's still just a 32mm stanchion fork. At 130 lbs you'll be fine on the Reba at 120. If you want a beefier fork do it right and put a Fox 34 or a Pike on it. You can do all the typical upgrades like stem, handlebar, seatpost etc. but your biggest bang will come with new wheels. Throw some Stan's Crest's on there and the ride will come alive substantially more than the stock Giant Wheels.

mtbr member

I'm 165lbs and I've been running a 120mm Reba on my Giant AA for nearly 18 months now. I absolutely LOVE it. I run about 10#s less pressure than I did when it was 100mm. This gives me 28-30% sag, previously was about 21-23%

Two things I'll add that are very important.

1. move at least one big stem spacers above the stem to get the bar height back to what you are used to.
    2. pay attention to where the saddle position before and after, you will want to make sure the extra 1* seat tube angle doesn't move your weight to far over the rear tire.
    I bike with tires.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    Your stock Recon should be fine. I took the spacers out of my Recon Gold RL to make it 120mm. Now you can use the extra $ to upgrade all the Connect crap, go tubeless and whatever else you want to do.

Too many upgrades for me to want to list, but here's a picture
    Good to see you're still happy with this bike. Are you running the OEM Xmarks?

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Good to see you're still happy with this bike. Are you running the OEM Xmarks?
    I do dig this bike...I'm still on the fence about not getting the Trance, but it is what it is. I am hard on this bike and aside from the rear wheel burpage, it's been problem free.

I upgraded the tires to Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in the front and the Ikon 2.20 in the rear, both were tubeless, but kept burping the rear. I'm back to a tube int he rear, but kept the front with the tubeless setup.

Next upgrade is the rear wheel conversion to 142X12mm. I have the kit ordered, then I will source a new rear wheel. Once I can stiffen up the rear I may go back to tubeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I do dig this bike...I'm still on the fence about not getting the Trance, but it is what it is. I am hard on this bike and aside from the rear wheel burpage, it's been problem free.

I upgraded the tires to Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in the front and the Ikon 2.20 in the rear, both were tubeless, but kept burping the rear. I'm back to a tube int he rear, but kept the front with the tubeless setup.

Next upgrade is the rear wheel conversion to 142X12mm. I have the kit ordered, then I will source a new rear wheel. Once I can stiffen up the rear I may go back to tubeless.
    Not getting the Trance due to your regular trail conditions or needing a beefier bike given your stature? I have not yet decided on between an Anthem-Stance-Trance. I like the Goldilocks 120mm travel of the Stance but have been told the maestro on the Anthem @ 100mm will feel like more. Probably best bet for me would be to go with a lighter build on a Trance.

I have few ride buddies running same tire setup, one with the 2.35 Ikon/2.4 Ardent on a hardtail.

Did you have burp issues with different rr tire? Must be some issue with the bead profile on that rim. Have you tried an extra layer of rim or Gorilla tape to help raise the tire bead? Might give that a shot if not.

Interested to see how the 142 conversion works out as I've seen some others posting not noticing much difference since the Maestro rr is typically pretty solid. My guess is the benefit if any was in the hub/wheel build itself.

mtbr member
    Wow, a few days out of here due to a storm in our area and lots of answers, thanks guys!

So it seems that with my light weight and body built i'm going to be fine with a Reba set to 120, but have to keep track of my seat angle and handlebar height, pay attention to sag... copy that, filing it down for future upgrades... anything about the change in ride quality? I'm concerned the climbing of the bike will feel twitchy due to the extra 20mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast