Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Devinci Troy quick review

I received my new Troy last weekend. I had been looking for a new trail bike for a while now. I was about to get a Norco Sight or Range until I heard about the Troy. My Kona Tanuki DL was just not cutting it. It felt soft and just never felt "right" for my riding. I was excited to receive it. Its first test was on a DH jump trail that my friend built. The bike is really neutral in the air and handles the jumps great. I did not want to get the Kona hardly off the ground, never felt comfortable on it.

I then tested it on the local XC trails. Again it did really good. It feels much more efficient and I was able to climb the hills quicker than before as well as descend the other side fearlessly. I did not notice the larger wheel size one bit. It is playful and nimble. I am really impressed with it so far. It has been too long since an XC/AM trail ride has put such a large smile on my face. I once again can have fun on a trail bike.

Just thought I would share. It is the carbon frame with the XP build kit. The value vs options were hard to beat! Thank you Billy Goat Bikes!

As she sits now with a single NW chain ring and dropper.
    2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10219339.jpg

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10205778.jpg

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10205777.jpg

-Brett
    Last edited by Carraig042; 01-24-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    What did you pay?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    I cant really say because I got it through a sponsor deal at a bike shop. Good thing about Devinci though, is that they can sell you a frame and any level of the build kit you want. In the case of getting a carbon frame and the XP build kit (that I wanted because of the Pike) it was cheaper than the RC build on their website. Are you located in the South East?

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

tardcore
    Looks great. I was sold on the new Kona process but have been starting to lean towards the troy. its good to get some real world feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Good thing about Devinci though, is that they can sell you a frame and any level of the build kit you want. Are you located in the South East?
    -Brett
    Ah so I could get the carbon frame with the cheaper build from alloy XP?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

tardcore
    My LBS told me they could do that and ordered some that way. The only problem is that they said completes are coming later than frames, they'll have frames next week. Maybe I'll just wait a bit and get the carbon on the XC build, I'll just upgrade parts as I can. Brakes and wheels will be first, cassette... I have bars, stems, seats and some nice drive train stuff already. Ok, I'm gonna go call the shop now, I talked myself into it )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Ah so I could get the carbon frame with the cheaper build from alloy XP?
    Yes, and that is exactly what I did.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Sweet. Thanks for the review. I really dug the Troy when I rode it at Outerbike. Fast, efficient, yet capable feeling. Do you know what the msrp would be for that build with the carbon frame.

Do you happen to know what it weighs?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

tardcore
    It's $3499 to do a carbon xp. It's kind of a hush hush deal so lets keep quite about it )

mtbr member
    Maybe 29-29.5 pounds after I took the front derailleur off and went 1x10.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

dwt
    mtbr member

2014 Devinci Troy quick review

Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    It's $3499 to do a carbon xp. It's kind of a hush hush deal so lets keep quite about it )
    Ouch. Sounds a tad porky with a carbon frame and w/o a dropper post. Did I miss what fork, wheels and tires you're running?

I got my Jamis down to about 27 lbs, which, also using a 1X10 drivetrain, sure helps going up. I would need lighter bike than 29 lbs or go 1X11
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    It comes with the Pike fork and the shock is Fox Float CTD boost valve w/ trail adjust. I think that is pretty stellar stuff there. One of the biggest reasons I went with the XP build is to get the Pike.

The wheels are kinda heavy since they are just cheaper sets. Something Like Jalco XM420. This bike is not built to be the lightest thing on market and it still weighs less than my previous 26" bike that had less travel. And don't forget about the Lifetime warranty!

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

tardcore
    Where are you Brett? My LBS is thinking December for a carbon XP. I'd rather not wait but I have to sell some stuff off to finance it anyway, I don't need an extra DH frame or 26" wheels or the giant tool box filled with bike parts in my garage...

mtbr member
    I am in Tennessee. I got the bike from Billy Goat bikes In Asheville, NC. What shop is your LBS?

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

tardcore
    Bikeworks in Albuquerque. Hmmmmm, I wanna Troy!!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm curious to find out from those of you that own / ridden the Troy if it could be the right bike for a guy coming off a carbon Nomad whose a DH'r at heart but likes to climb?

mtbr member
    I am a DHer at heart for sure. I dont like pedaling very much, but I try to have as much fun doing it as possible. I can not compare it to a nomad, but I have a Demo as my DH bike. I feel really good on this thing going down the hills, it has a great plush feel when the shock is in the descend mode. I have not hit anything real steep/technical yet though.

To me it pedals great, but that is comparing it to two different Kona trail bikes I have had in the past. Even with running a 34t chain ring, the only time I have had a problem going uphill was because of me being out of shape and out of breath, haha.

All in all, it could be the right one. It would be best if you had a shop close by/a buddy that would let you try it.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    Bikeworks in Albuquerque. Hmmmmm, I wanna Troy!!!!!
    Ok, your a bit far! He still may be able to get one out there though!

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Thank you Carraig042 - that's helpful and gets me one step closer to deciding but I'll take my question a little further for more context.

I'm currently having an internal struggle.....My nomad was stolen a couple of weeks ago and I'm in the market for a new bike. I loved my nomad but there were times I wished I had a more flickable/fun bike not to mention a little faster for some of the enduro races I've entered in the past.

Ultimately I'm looking for a frame that allows me to climb faster but not loose any speed on the downhills allowing me to go down some steep and deep trails. Most simply put, like everyone else in this forum, l'm looking for the Holy Grail.

Right now I'm deciding between the carbon Mach 6 and carbon Troy. For frame of reference I was planning to install the DB air on the Troy but stick with the fox on Mach 6 based upon my conversations with Pivot. I've looked at all of the other bikes out there (read all of Krob's reviews, thank you by the way!) but these are the only two frames that are available right now and appear to have great reviews. I realize I'm comparing a 155mm bike to 140mm bike and maynot be construed as an apples to apples comparison but I'm looking for the frame that best covers the range of riding I like and puts the biggest smile on my face. In the past I've had just as much fun on my old 4-1/2" Blur 4x bike as I've had on my Nomad - their both just as capable as one another in any riding condition but they're different nonetheless.

Any and all thoughts about ride impressions are welcome!

mtbr member
    If you like VPP then don't discount the Bronson. It climbs way better than a Nomad and gives up zero to it on the downhills, love the way that bike handles (was really surprised as I had no intentions of going 650b until I rode one). And, FWIW, the Mach 6 and Troy were on my short list too but I wasn't going to be able to afford the Mach 6 and the Devinci is a lil short on travel for my tastes (I'm certain they are coming up with a 650b 160mm travel bike soon but I don't want to wait when I can get a Bronson cheap).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I actually tested the Bronson - while it seemed to handle fine and capable I just didn't feel at home on it. It felt more like I was sitting on it instead of inside it, if that makes sense. I also tested a Mach 6 as well (parking lot test) which felt good fit wise, but without riding it on a trail I cannot form a true opinion.

I'm very fortunate given my current situation, price is not a concern for me, whichever bike I buy will be have a custom build.

Custom build...haha

Buy the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Any particular reason you feel the Mach 6 is the one?

Custom build in the way that I will purchase the parts that suit my needs individually.

tardcore
    Nice troll.

I think many would agree that Mach 6 is one of the best all-arounders on the market. If I had the money, I'd be one on. I don't have the money, so I'm not. You do, so you should be. Unless you find it's too much bike for you, in which case there are lighter options with less travel.

mtbr member
    Both are awesome bikes and you can't go wrong with either. That being said, I have a Mach 6 on order since I really liked the geometry plus 155 travel with a sub 17" chainstay is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    What was this thread about again?

Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

Carriag,

Do you feel that 140mm is enough travel in the rear?

mtbr member
    I haven't found myself looking for more travel on it. It feels like there is more than 140 while riding, I even felt great on it when I rode the dh jump trails my friend has.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

tardcore
    I think travel is such an interesting topic. I used to always go for big travel trail bikes and did everything with them, but have decided having multiple bikes that cover certain areas is the for me to go at this point. The only drawback is that price becomes more of an issue so choosing wisely and looking towards value is the order of the day.

mtbr member
    I try to maintain a stable of three bikes but for my main trail bike I seem to go from low travel to higher travel and back to lower travel every new frame I get.

tardcore
    I think between 5 and 6 inch you're fine on the rear. More importantly is the fork, gotta be 150 minimum and bigger than 32 mil stanchions.

mtbr member
    This is an early review of the Troy, but so far, I'm very impressed. Currently, I'm demo'ing the Carbon RC, courtesy of Pink Gorilla Cycles here in austin.

This bike feels really, really light. I know there's others out there that are lighter, but from the bikes I'm used to, this thing is a XC rocket.

The suspension is very simple, no expensive, uber machined small links to drive up the cost, but it works and works extremely well. It has a way of providing a fantastic pedaling platform and opening up during hits. It works so well.

I've only taken it out on a couple of trails, and those weren't really complete rides, but this bike hauls a$$. I actually commuted on it yesterday to work and back, and it was better than my commuter in many ways. It was half way to work before I realized that the shock was in full, wide open descend mode. Granted, most people won't be riding this on the road all that often, but it goes to show how efficient the suspension is.

The fit is spot on, dead solid perfect. I'm 5-11, short inseam and long arms.

As a reference, I've ridden two different Pivots, the Kona Process 134, the Banshee
    spitfire, the rocky mountain altitude 650, the Giant trance 650.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Pulpwoody,

You said the fit is perfect. Were you on a Med or Large. I'm close to the same height(maybe .5" taller) and sat on the med and rode around the parking lot, and it felt a little small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Hey Pulpwoody,

You said the fit is perfect. Were you on a Med or Large. I'm close to the same height(maybe .5" taller) and sat on the med and rode around the parking lot, and it felt a little small.
    Pulp is on a medium. Although, I'm not sure which stem length he went with. He took a 70mm and a 100mm to adjust if needed. From talking with him it sounded like he prefers a smaller fit.

Some people like longer bikes than others. It's all a personal preference. I'm 5'11" and this medium felt a little small for me while running a 100mm stem. However, I also run my seat a litter further forward over the bb that most. This positioning seems to help alleviate my nagging hamstring pain when riding.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok....thanks. Yeah, the Medium would be ok if I were never climbing steep stuff or had to run a 90mm or so stem, but at nearly 6', it was a little on the small side, plus, I had a ton of seatpost exposed. The Large is quite a bit longer though, which is a bummer. It seems I fall right in between Devinci's Troy model too. I know I could run a really short stem, but the wheelbase doesn't change that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Brett, I think the weight on yours is a bit off... I was at the shop yesterday and weighed the other medium XP Troy we have in there and it came in at 28lbs 9oz. Though that could also just be our scale too, who knows. This bike is seriously awesome though, climbs like a beast and descends better than it's 140mm of travel suggests. I can't wait for mine but I wont have the funds until January or so... Nice thing about working at a bike shop that has demo Troys though is I can take one out when ever I want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    Brett, I think the weight on yours is a bit off... I was at the shop yesterday and weighed the other medium XP Troy we have in there and it came in at 28lbs 9oz. Though that could also just be our scale too, who knows. This bike is seriously awesome though, climbs like a beast and descends better than it's 140mm of travel suggests. I can't wait for mine but I wont have the funds until January or so... Nice thing about working at a bike shop that has demo Troys though is I can take one out when ever I want.
    That is a great benefit at working at a bike shop for sure. My estimate was conservative in the weight. I was going by the weights listed online. I really do need to weigh it though just so I know since a lot of people have asked.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey guys, weights on the website are pretty much accurate. An XP build shows 29 pounds, without pedals. Carbon RC is slightly heavier, considering the reverb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Ok....thanks. Yeah, the Medium would be ok if I were never climbing steep stuff or had to run a 90mm or so stem, but at nearly 6', it was a little on the small side, plus, I had a ton of seatpost exposed. The Large is quite a bit longer though, which is a bummer. It seems I fall right in between Devinci's Troy model too. I know I could run a really short stem, but the wheelbase doesn't change that way.
    I do prefer a more compact cockpit on my bikes. Currently, I'm using a 60mm stem, and a 70mm stem would make it perfect.

I took it for a ride on Saturday, and there weren't many technical climbs to speak of on this trail, but the few that were out there, the Troy OWNED! I wouldn't worry about this bike's technical handling, or slow speed handling, it does both very well, even on a shorter cockpit. Again, that's just me and my preference. I've gone through the gauntlet of sizing and the Troy is my personal sweet spot. 23 has proven to be too short, and 24 has proven to be too long. Good luck in your quest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    As a reference, I've ridden two different Pivots, the Kona Process 134, the Banshee
    spitfire, the rocky mountain altitude 650, the Giant trance 650.
    How does the Troy compare to the Spitfire? I was almost sold on the Spitfire, then I started looking at the aluminum Troy as the geometry seems spot on. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil bunny View Post
    How does the Troy compare to the Spitfire? I was almost sold on the Spitfire, then I started looking at the aluminum Troy as the geometry seems spot on. Thank you.
    The suspension on the Spitfire is bad a$$! The medium felt a bit small at first, but I think if I had put some wider bars on there, it would be just right. Between the Troy and the Spitfire, they have almost identical reach numbers, but over half and inch difference in TT length. The Troy just fits me better.

The spitfire was fun, playful, fast and efficient. It was the first bike I tried in my search and I had a great time riding the bike. Another thing that stood out was the high bottom bracket. Around Austin, we don't have these screaming downhill runs with huge berms and what not, we have rocks and limestone ledges and technical climbs, so a really low bb doesn't benefit you that much. The high bb allowed me to stay seated while I pedaled up the technical sections, and that was a treat. I have nothing but great things to say about the SF.

That being said, the Troy totally motors on climbs, flats, everywhere really. For me, I was able to get more value from my Troy build AND, the Troy comes with a lifetime warranty, which is very important, considering I've broken two frames in the last few years. I still can't get over how smooth the suspension is on the Troy while being able to climb so well, it's really impressive. I ordered mine last week, so everything should be in this week. I'll post pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    The suspension on the Spitfire is bad a$$! The medium felt a bit small at first, but I think if I had put some wider bars on there, it would be just right. Between the Troy and the Spitfire, they have almost identical reach numbers, but over half and inch difference in TT length. The Troy just fits me better.

The spitfire was fun, playful, fast and efficient. It was the first bike I tried in my search and I had a great time riding the bike. Another thing that stood out was the high bottom bracket. Around Austin, we don't have these screaming downhill runs with huge berms and what not, we have rocks and limestone ledges and technical climbs, so a really low bb doesn't benefit you that much. The high bb allowed me to stay seated while I pedaled up the technical sections, and that was a treat. I have nothing but great things to say about the SF.

That being said, the Troy totally motors on climbs, flats, everywhere really. For me, I was able to get more value from my Troy build AND, the Troy comes with a lifetime warranty, which is very important, considering I've broken two frames in the last few years. I still can't get over how smooth the suspension is on the Troy while being able to climb so well, it's really impressive. I ordered mine last week, so everything should be in this week. I'll post pics.
    Thank you! I was thinking to build the Spitfire more or less like the Troy XP: Rock shock suspensions, entry level drivetrain (SLX or X7, but I'm leaning towards Shimano), light wheels; buying the complete Troy XP and making a few upgrades (dropper post, better brakes) would allow me to have a really similar bike (quality-wise) spending less money... I've got a couple of doubts about press-fit (I've seen you answered the other thread too): advantages are not clear while replacing a creaking bb could become a real mess.

I heart the drops

Building up my 2014 Troy

After demoing the Troy along with many other bikes, I have decided that it has been my favorite riding bike. The ride was very linear and as many people have stated it feels like much more than 140mm of travel. The biggest thing I noticed over my two month old Rip 9 RDO was the small bump compliance. The Troy absorbed smaller vibrations that would be transferred on the Rip, but still had a slight progressive nature at the end of the shock stroke to keep from bottoming out. This bike rode so well my two month old bike is now for sale. This will be a pike/XX1 aluminum build.

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-dsc_0002.jpg
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    I bought the Park press fit BB tool to be safe, I'd hate to be stuck with a BB problem and have to take it to the shop for something so simple. Now, since I'll have the tool, I don't really care about one BB or another. This bike is me starting over from ground zero, and that's exciting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet bike. Love those I9s, I got a set. Check with I9 if you have bearing issues. There was an issue with the spacer, that is now fixed. They will send you the replacements for free under warranty if you have issues. There customer service is great.

Is it just me or does the troy rear suspension look similar to Trek bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Sweet bike. Love those I9s, I got a set. Check with I9 if you have bearing issues. There was an issue with the spacer, that is now fixed. They will send you the replacements for free under warranty if you have issues. There customer service is great.

Is it just me or does the troy rear suspension look similar to Trek bikes?
    Yes, the Trek's are almost identical. So much so that...

Weagle Sues Trek Over ABP Suspension Design

mtbr member
    the imput on this thread is awesome. i am currently selling my 12 stumpy evo carbon and looking to move to a 130-140mm trail bike. the 3 bikes i am looking at are the
    troy, the 5010 and the mojo hdr. i want to build my own so not looking for a spec build at this point. now im leaning more to the troy and the 5010

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    the imput on this thread is awesome. i am currently selling my 12 stumpy evo carbon and looking to move to a 130-140mm trail bike. the 3 bikes i am looking at are the
    troy, the 5010 and the mojo hdr. i want to build my own so not looking for a spec build at this point. now im leaning more to the troy and the 5010
    One nice thing about the solo is the shock size. It allows you to run a CCDBAcs. I also just read that the headset is integrated. If you've ever had a bearing fail and seen what it could do to the cups, you wouldn't want the cups to be part of the frame.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Thanks I am really looking forward to this build, the wheels are a week old so I think they have fixed the issue. I am looking for 27LBS with pedals out of an aluminum frame.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast