Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Been on my Troy for a couple weeks now. This bike was originally off my radar as I was looking at the Atlas to replace my XC bike. After thinking it over 29er's just aren't for me (had an Anthem 29er) and when I learned that you could get a Carbon Troy with XP kit, I was hooked. My initial impression is that the bike pedals well. Of the previous bikes I've owned (Ells ICT, SC VPP, Giant Maestro), the Troy takes to stand up hammering the best. I'm sure it's bobbing but I don't notice it. The bike feels like it can bomb down hills, but I haven't been able to let go. I've only got 3 rides on it, but a recent shuttle run had me all over the place. Maybe it's the wide bars (I cut mine down to 30" from the original 31") or the tires, but the bike sure felt squirly. Slow to medium speeds, the bike was sure footed. It's only when I'm flat out, then braking with the front wheel is when the bike feels squirly. If I don't brake, it seems ok. The only thing I've changed is swapping out the Exlixir 3's for XT brakes.

The bike comes with a Fox CTD Kashima rear shock as one person asked. I have a Large frame and I'm 6', 175lbs. The kit also comes with a 60mm stem. I can only compare it to my Nomad which is also a Large but I have a 70mm stem on it. So far, the Nomad is the better decender but the Troy climbs better, by far. I was able to clear rough accents without issue whereas the Nomad gave me fits.

I'm experiencing a creak in the frame. I can't tell where it's coming from. Originally, I thought it was coming from the shock so I took it off and grease the bolts. Next ride, it started creaking about an hour into the ride. I can get it to creak without pedaling so my next step is to take the pivots out and regrease. Kinda sucks when I've only had 3 rides on it. Besides the creaking issue, I love the bike. My Nomad is going to get real lonely as I don't see myself riding it too often. Oh yeah, I live in SoCal so it's not very muddy or wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Devinci's .ca website doesn't list an XP build carbon Troy, and when I asked a LBS they weren't aware of it either. Does anyone know if they are available in Canada?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Wink

Devinci sends their bikes as a build kit and frame. They don't send their bikes partially assembled to the dealers. Its a ground up build. You can mix and match the frame and the parts kit. The XP build kit on the website only is shown with the alloy frame I know, but as myself and several other guys on this forum can attest to, the mix and match thing is for real. Simply take the XP msrp on the website and add the additional cost of the carbon frame($500), and there's your Troy Carbon XP. Oh, and the rear shock isn't part of the parts spec, it's considered part of the frame. So, for that extra $500 you're getting a carbon frame and a better rear shock. $3500 for a complete bike with a carbon frame with a Pike and Factory RP23 is a sick deal for sure. Perhaps have your LBS inquire directly to Devinci. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead View Post
    Been on my Troy for a couple weeks now. This bike was originally off my radar as I was looking at the Atlas to replace my XC bike. After thinking it over 29er's just aren't for me (had an Anthem 29er) and when I learned that you could get a Carbon Troy with XP kit, I was hooked. My initial impression is that the bike pedals well. Of the previous bikes I've owned (Ells ICT, SC VPP, Giant Maestro), the Troy takes to stand up hammering the best. I'm sure it's bobbing but I don't notice it. The bike feels like it can bomb down hills, but I haven't been able to let go. I've only got 3 rides on it, but a recent shuttle run had me all over the place. Maybe it's the wide bars (I cut mine down to 30" from the original 31") or the tires, but the bike sure felt squirly. Slow to medium speeds, the bike was sure footed. It's only when I'm flat out, then braking with the front wheel is when the bike feels squirly. If I don't brake, it seems ok. The only thing I've changed is swapping out the Exlixir 3's for XT brakes.

The bike comes with a Fox CTD Kashima rear shock as one person asked. I have a Large frame and I'm 6', 175lbs. The kit also comes with a 60mm stem. I can only compare it to my Nomad which is also a Large but I have a 70mm stem on it. So far, the Nomad is the better decender but the Troy climbs better, by far. I was able to clear rough accents without issue whereas the Nomad gave me fits.

I'm experiencing a creak in the frame. I can't tell where it's coming from. Originally, I thought it was coming from the shock so I took it off and grease the bolts. Next ride, it started creaking about an hour into the ride. I can get it to creak without pedaling so my next step is to take the pivots out and regrease. Kinda sucks when I've only had 3 rides on it. Besides the creaking issue, I love the bike. My Nomad is going to get real lonely as I don't see myself riding it too often. Oh yeah, I live in SoCal so it's not very muddy or wet.
    I too will get a creak, but just normally after a couple wet rides. It is normally the crank that needs cleaning and regreasing, or the rear axle pivot. Both if which can be done quickly and easily.

Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just got my XP aluminum build today and I can't wait for this damn rain to stop so I can go ride it.

Just curious the Devinci states it is Stealth compatible, I am not seeing the hole any help?

Quote Originally Posted by babi View Post
    I see most of you are buying full bikes and not only frames and building the bukes with the parts you like, and further more, even when you buy full bike, you do not upgrade or change anything in the moment of the buying. Any reason for this? like, if you do not like the brakes, why not upgrade them when you order the bike from your bike shop?

About brakes - try at the shop, at friends, where ever you can the Avid X0 trail - AWESOME!!!
    Also I bought complete build kit because it's a better deal than custom build. $1700 frame; $900 Pike; rest of the bike for $400 is a pretty damn good deal.

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by CBCNY View Post
    Care to expand a little? Pros? Cons? Have an XP on order myself. The only thing that has me concerned is the Avid brakes.
    Sure! It's been a long day, so sorry if this is a bit rambling...

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Troy and don't really have any major cons. Quick background, My recent bikes have been 26" Trance X4 (Great bike but heavy and low spec) 29" Scott Scale (Light, fast, great climber, but I missed the squish) and a Reign 2 which is fun but too slack and squishy with the Fox Float for my weight and "average joe" trail riding.

So far the Troy is giving me many of the qualities I like in all those bikes.

Pros:
    I'll get the most shallow pro out of the way first. I love the way it looks. The fact the the spec beats out the 3k competition (IMO) is a bonus.

I really like the geo. Reasonably slack but still turns well. bb seems just right (in the slack setting) and I'm getting that "in the bike" feeling. Handling wise, it is closer to the Trance and climbs almost as well (much better then the Reign). The 27.5 with Hans D's roll noticeably better than 26" to me. I'm a believer.

The Pike feels GREAT and is a huge improvement over my previous bikes, so I might be more impressed than others used to higher end forks. The Monarch on the Troys platform is working much better for me at 230lb than then the Fox on Giants Maestro. I can actually stand up and pedal in the "Hare"setting without cursing my suspension.
    To be fair, these suspension issues could have been addressed on my other bikes with upgrades but it's more fun to just get a new bike.

Cons:
    Avid brakes are blah. They aren't squealing yet, but I know its only a matter of time. A quick release on the 12mm rear would have been nice, along with a QR seat collar. I'm also not a fan of the thin grips.

That's about it for cons so far. I'm sure I can check back in a few weeks and complain about something, but ror about 3k (right now) I think it's the bike to beat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any one with an xp build tell me what model schwable Hans dampf comes with the build?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    Any one with an xp build tell me what model schwable Hans dampf comes with the build?

Further to the above, How are the Hans dampf performing with the Troy? Got my eye on the Continental mountain king 2.4's as found on the Rocky altitudes. Seem like a good fit for the Troy but curious to hear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Dampfs with the XP build are the Performance compound. For what its worth, I have the Conti Trail King 2.2 and they seem great so far, albeit on 1 muddy ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My bike shop just called. I ordered the carbon with xp build its on back order until March 8th . Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Congrats on your Troydom. I think it might look at little different though. In speaking with my Devinci dealer, he said that the second run of Troys( which he said would be available in March) will be matte as opposed to glossy finish and green where the current design is red. Personally, I wish mine was matte so it would show scratches less. Either way congrats. I only have half a ride on mine(chain snapped), and I'm just staring at it since we just got 20 inches of snow. It's torture, but it is pretty to look at for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My dealer said when he ordered it said green . I wonder what type of green it is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I feel your pain. Living in Michigan we have had record cold and 25" of snow on the ground so sick of snow .

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The green I'm sure will look sick. Devinci seems to be good at asthetics. I wish they would have done matte with the red. I'm a sucker for the red/black contrast, and as I said the matte would be better for not showing scratches in the long run. Make sure to get some type of down tube protection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What do you suggest for down tube protection. This will be my first carbon bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My first carbon bike too. I'm guessing with your quick response, you're running out the clock at work like me. The shop I bought it from uses motocross number plate background material in clear. It's thicker and more durable than some other products, its cheap, clear so as to not take away from the bare carbon awesomeness, and you can cut it to size. You apparently can get it at a motorcycle shop on online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I forgot to mention, they put it on the top tube as well to protect from the occaisional scratch from shoe contact while throwing a leg over the bike. I still need to address this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks I will look into that

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Now its driving me crazy wondering what the matt finish and green looks like. I guess I will find out in march when it. Comes in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The matte carbon/green is so sick! I was originally emailing to have a red one ordered but the dealer sent me a pic of the new color. Even though I could have gotten the red one right now, I opted to backorder so I can get the Green.

I have 2' of snow on the ground so the wait won't kill me. If I knew how to post pics, I would. The picture of the green bike is now my screensaver. Haha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Look at the Ibis Ripley. I'm guessing it looks like that

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks I did look at the Ripley that is a good look. Green can mean so many things. I m sure it will be sweet. But if anyone has a pic that would help

mtbr member
    Thanks I did look at the Ripley that is a good look. Green can mean so many things. I m sure it will be sweet. But if anyone has a pic that would help

My friend works at Devinci dealer and has a Troy on order said it was green and he said it looks amazing. I'm not sure if he got to see a demo bike or just some dealer promo pics, but he is excited.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man this is killin me ha ha It kept me up last night thinkin about this! I sold my 2012 trance 3 26 er a couple of days ago . I think this should be a nice upgrade

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Green version is gloss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just received an email from Devinci said no pic but the green is a lime green.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I feel your pain. Living in Michigan we have had record cold and 25" of snow on the ground so sick of snow .

I live in Ann Arbor and just pains me to look outside. I am tired of riding the indoor trainer. I am thinking about getting this troy but also looking at the Rocky mountain and the Bronson, and the Giant Trance. Can't decide what way to go.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    First of all, you can't go wrong likely we any of them. What type of riding do you do? That might stear you in one direction. I'm totally biased as I chose the Troy. I have only ridden the Rocky Altitude and it was great. The Ride 9 system is pretty cool to dial in the ride just how you like it. The Troy doesn't have 9 settings, but it does have 2. So, there is some adjustability there. The Bronson and Trance are fixed in their geo. That doesn't make them any less bike, just not quite as adjustable.I haven't ridden the latter 2, but by all accounts they're great.

Like a lot of people on this thread, I got the Carbon Troy with the XP build. Incredible value for what you get. It performs really well going uphill even with the shock in descend. Descending was really stable. Not the most nimble bike I've ever ridden, but close. Honestly though, all of those bikes by all accounts do both well. Thoughts on which way you're leaning?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Holy Moly. You guys have been busy! i will try to answer all the questions I see but if i miss something please let me know. Im going to work backwards.

[QUOTE]Green version is gloss./QUOTE]

The Green version is flat like the Wilson. It also has the top tube painted like the Carbon Wilson Stealth frame with charcoal. I will say I have only seen a picture and things are always up to change but Im 99% it is flat. I cant post up pictures until Devinci says I can. It does not look like the Ibis other than its black and green. If you have the picture please do not post it until Devinci does

[QUOTE]What do you suggest for down tube protection. This will be my first carbon bike?/QUOTE]

Check our N-Style universal motocross number plate background material in clear

Further to the above, How are the Hans dampf performing with the Troy? Got my eye on the Continental mountain king 2.4's
    The tires are very good for a performance tire. The compound is a little better this year. You cant go wrong with the black chili compound from Continental. Its the best out there IMO

[QUOTE]Just curious the Devinci states it is Stealth compatible, I am not seeing the hole any help? /QUOTE]

It is a true stealth capable frame whether in carbon or alloy. The carbon frame has internal routing through the down tube. It exits the frame and re-enters at the bottom of the seat tube vs the alloy just has the hole at the bottom of the seat tube.

[QUOTE]A quick release on the 12mm rear would have been nice/QUOTE]

The Carbon frame does have a QR rear axle. Its a maxle light but it has to be the one for the split pivot system if your trying to upgrade

[QUOTE]Devinci's .ca website doesn't list an XP build carbon Troy, and when I asked a LBS they weren't aware of it either. Does anyone know if they are available in Canada?/QUOTE]

It is the parts kit off the Alloy bike but on the carbon frame. The shock comes with the frame. If someone received a Carbon frame with a monarch then their dealer switched it. The carbon frame currently comes with a Fox CTD adjust boost valve kashima

[QUOTE]The elixer 3s on my Troy are OK. They stop you pretty good, do not feel the best, but will run them until they start giving problems.
    /QUOTE]

Brett is right. We have had very good luck with the elixer 3's but they are a throw away brake meaning once they start to act up get something else. All elixer's are throw away brakes IMO as you will spend more trying to have them rebuilt and bled than it costs for new brakes.

[QUOTE]I figure I will run the bike with the avids s then eventually up grade to some shimano Slx /QUOTE]

The 2014 SLX brakes are pure crap. We have had issues with every set we have sold so far 4 outta 4. Look at the XT or my preference Hope or the Hayes Prime Comp. Its the cheapest and the strongest!

[QUOTE]I'm getting an alloy. How much of a difference in handling will it be if I install a dropper post? No layback there, so it looks like I will have to compensate with a longer stem. What is the stock length? The website only says the Easton ea50 in 31.8 diameter and not the stem length. I'd rather not get a longer stem if it is already 90 or 100m/QUOTE]

The stem is either a 50 or a 60mm, I will have to measure. They are all the same size and dont get longer for each size. The SL build does have a longer stem. The stock layback is 15mm. The alloy has a tighter feel to the cockpit. The actual seat tube angle is steeper by about 2 degrees than the carbon

[QUOTE]I'll wait for this one too. Mine gets delivered in a week and a half and I'd like to know if I need to save for a new wheelset. Either way, I'll be trying to do just that. Results in two weeks regardless of the answers here. I'd just like to know how much of a challenge it will be to get them to seal correctly./QUOTE]

We have converted quite a few to tubeless and they work fine. The new tires can be a ***** to set if they have not been ridden. An air compressor if for sure required and maybe a ratchet strap

squeaking
    Ill address the squeaking issue now. This applies to all bikes. Do NOT tear your pivots apart and clean and then lather them in grease. Most squeaks come from the extra grease catching dirt. So if you clean it and put more grease back on there, it will catch dirt and start to squeak again. You can put a light, very light coat to prevent corrosion but the bigger the blob does not equal the better the job. Clean your pivots of all grease and apply just enough to keep the parts from corroding and you will be squeak free. The bearings are sealed after all, so your blob of grease does no good. Just enough to prevent corrosion which is a very small amount.

Thanks everyone!! Sorry for the slow replies

Matt
    matt@billygoatbikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I forgot about someone asking about the descending capability vs the Sight. Its more about the components than anything else. With the same parts both are very close in descending capability. I cant say one is better than the other. The sight feels a little more plush but the Troy is more stable feeling. The stand up climbing ability is where the difference is

gravity fighter
    Quick note to longer leggers. The post on the lg is 350mm and I found myself a smidge above the min insert line with my 5tens and skinny flats while grinding up the logging road today.
    I'm a 33" inseam, so just something to keep in mind if you're taller and prefer smaller frames.
    The Troy continues to shine on my favorite trails in Bellingham.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I love my Troy, but Devinci really shot themselves in the foot here. Why on earth when you've got such great hype going for the bike after Stevie Smith won the Air DH, would you send them the only XC oriented spec of the bike? Seriously, a bike everyone is expecting to rip downhills and you send a under-forked, narrow barred, long stemmed version? What a wasted opportunity. They had a golden opportunity, and they squandered it by sending the SL to Pinkbike, BikeMag, and Vital! I would love to see how tunes would change if they sent them the XP build. Yes, there would still be comments on the fit, but things would change for sure on the overall impression.

For any prospective buyers, the medium feels the same or maybe even longer as a medium carbon sight. For reference, I am 5'9 and 3/4 with a longer than average wingspan, and I still bought a medium(which came with a 50mm stem). I feel more upright than I'm used to(from an old xc rig), but not cramped by any means.

Devinci seems like a cool company for sure; the kind you'd like to root for. However, they really squandered a golden opportunity with the spec they sent for testing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So here is a little update on the color scheme. It has changed from the design I had originally seen. The green is a yellow to green fade. The upper half of the top tube is painted and the finish is back to gloss. Picture to come soon. No one has actually seen them yet, only computer generated pics are out there.

[QUOTE]not the best review......../QUOTE]

Those reviews are more about the build kit than the bike. With the correct build the bike is amazing. Devinci sent the wrong spec to be tested but don't let that scare you off

gravity fighter
    Reviews like that must drive the product managers crazy.

Along the same lines as not providing pedals due to personal preference of clips vs. flats, I would think that these higher end builds would be better served by not shipping with tires. Instead maybe provide two stems to help fit and leave the tire choice up to the end user and their LBS to sort out for local conditions and riding style.

I also agree that the cheaper XP build with the 150mm up front and wider bars would have likely gone over better “out of the box” with these reviewers as a more sorted out trail/AM bike. Sending off an “XC” rig was not the wisest move.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think the problem is that a 6grand carbon 140mm bike is up against some stiff competition and decent (heavier) tyres alone will nudge it over 30lbs, for that reason they chose to send out the narrow barred, long stemmed 2x10 version that is at odds with the all important enduro trends

theres enough hype around the Troy that some positive reviews of a gnarly build would hit the target demographic and people would buy bucket loads and ignore the cramped top tube and jittery rear suspension just like with the Santa Cruz Bronson!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I can see past the build. And found it hard to pass with an excellent rear suspension and then going with a carbon frame xp build with a pike was icing on the cake. From there I can dial it in the way I like

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE]I can see past the build. And found it hard to pass with an excellent rear suspension and then going with a carbon frame xp build with a pike was icing on the cake. From there I can dial it in the way I like/QUOTE]

Thats the way to go for sure. Nothing comes close to that good of a bike with that level build for such a low price. The supposed sizing issues are the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard. The Sight gets amazing reviews with no complaints on sizing and it feels smaller than the Troy of the same size. It has a longer stem and flatter bars which should make it feel bigger

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Still no pictures of the new color. I was hoping to know what i bought by know . Hope i see some thing soon.

mtbr member
    Interesting the new color is already known. I spoke to Devinci last week about the new color they had and he said I couldn't tell anyone yet! Of course I never know why companies try to be sneaky about things like this. Every year at Sea Otter you'll see big bold "PROTOTYPE" splashed across all the new stuff to generate buzz.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Aaron, we should be able to release something early next week. I saw the frames on the assembly line not later than yesterday. I can tell you that you won't be disappointed. this thing is super clean and class. You shouldn't get bored of it for a couple years

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I know I wouldn't be disappointed just excited. Thanks for the update

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Awesome that is sweet! can't wait to get it !

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Glad I got red bc that's just my personal preference, but that looks sick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Glad I got red bc that's just my personal preference, but that looks sick.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Me I didn't care either way but preferred the green

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think they both look great and would be happy with either. However, I decided to go with green.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Its so cool to see everyone still amped on this bike in spite of some rough reviews on a goofy spec. Keep the stoke going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No doubt I am very stoked on this bike

mtbr member
    Oooo I like that black and lime color. Very nice. Not sure what everyone is talking about on the reviews. Most mentioned the sizing issues (doesn't feel as big as published numbers) and there were some comments about the spec. So what? It's pretty easy to see around those niggles if you've ridden it. And there were some favorable comments as well.

The bike rocks!
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Hey, can some of you guys that are loving your Troys, despite the neg reviews coming out, tell us more about what you rode for comparison while shopping around? Deets? I was seriously considering grabbing one this spring, but these reviews are killing me...closest shop is 6.5 hours away!

Anyone take into consideration what these media reviews do to resale value of their bike? Just wondering...
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Parking lot test of Banshee spitfire and Sight Carbon 7.2. Demo of Rocky Mountain Altitude and Troy carbon. The sight felt marginally more maneuverable ( not surprising with the uber low slung top tube), but less solid. The spitfire felt more burly. The Altitude not quite as plush. Altitude seated climbing about the same as the Troy. The Troy wasn't the most plush, wasn't the most burly out of the bunch, but it was either first or second best on all the attributes I was looking for. Not bad given what it was being compared to. It was super confidence inspiring with the wide bars, 67 degree HA, short chainstays, and short stem. Climbed the best out of all of them out of the saddle. My demo I had it in descend the whole time with some significant climbs. For my taste, it was the best looking, with the Sight being a close close second. The bare carbon weave is killer.
    The XP kit with the carbon is unbeatable for bang for your buck. Nothing comes close. Which is good, because I couldn't spend another penny over $3500.

Sizing: I was expecting going with a large. When I demo'd both a medium and large with a 50mm stem. While the large didn't feel big persay, I found myself wondering whether the size was right, and the medium I just forgot about it. If you forget about the sizing when you're riding, probably tells you you're on the right size. If I was he'll bent on going with a 35mm stem, I would have gone large because the seat is most of the way back.

I am 5'9 and 3/4 with 72 wingspan( longer than average for the height I think). Its funny the reviewers said nothing about sizing on the sight, because the medium Troy felt the same or possibly bigger than the sight.

Good luck on your choice. It's unnerving with the sizing comments on the reviews, but all I can tell you is what I know. PM me if you like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So stoked to hear the positive personal reviews. Not sure i've ever seen such a weird and controversial debut before. I am coming from a Nomad and plenty of borrowed time on an Altitude so based on similar reviews I can't wait to get my hands on a Troy (preferring the original red btw). The $3500 XP almost seems to good to be true and i'm worried that it won't be available much longer. Just waiting for my income tax return before I jump on this. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am not sure the red is still available. but that may be because when you do the $3500 xp build you buy the carbon frame then they ship the xp build separate .My dealer showed only green was available and last checked on back order till mid March.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It probably depends on when you ordered it. If it was under the initial run of Troys, then red. The second run; green. In speaking with Matt leading up to my demo, there was a question of would he have the size I wanted. If I demo'd and needed another size, I would have to wait till the second run came through in March and it'd be green. Aaron, it seems like you're loving that green, so it doesn't seem like an issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Magpie check your pm

mtbr member
    Ordered a Medium XP Alloy, 3 weeks ago. Scheduled to arrive mid March. I'M DYING!!!! First new bike i've ever bought and the longest i've gone on the same bike at ~1 year. My current '08 Fuel EX8 is barely hanging on... Needs pivot bearings, wheel bearings, BB, rear der, rear wheel/rim, shock rebuilt, fork rebuilt/damper repaired and probably new chain and cassette.

Your reviews are making me itch more than a bad rash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    About the first week in February I spoke with Giles from Devinci they had just a couple red large troys in stock and a few days latter my dealer ordered and they were out and on back order expected date was March 8. So we will see and there was no color choice . It was described as Green

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is everyone here pretty much paying MSRP for their troy? Just curious because i will be heading to my local dealer in the next couple weeks to possibly pick one up. Just wanted to see if their is any negotiating room...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think I got a bit off, but with as much as I had been back and forth with the dealer about the bike, coupled with how hot they were selling, it didn't seem like I had much bargaining power. I literally exchanged over 20 emails with the dealer about getting the Troy set up just the way I like before I got in the door. To me it seemed like kind of a jerk move to play hardball on the price all of a sudden. But that's me, and I don't have that killer instinct/get the best deal thing in me. You should definitely ask what their best price is though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: 2014 Devinci Troy quick review

Quote Originally Posted by friedhouse View Post
    Is everyone here pretty much paying MSRP for their troy? Just curious because i will be heading to my local dealer in the next couple weeks to possibly pick one up. Just wanted to see if their is any negotiating room...
    I would say yes. From what my dealer said the margins of profit were a little lower then his other lines. So that means a little less wiggle room . All that being said my lbs does not stock the higher end bikes most are $1800 or less hard tails. I did get a discount because I worked for lbs many years ago and have a good relationship with them. I would not expect a significant discount though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friedhouse View Post
    My LBS i shaving trouble getting their hands on a Troy. If supply is scare relative to demand there won't be a lot of motivation to wheel and deal.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I did pretty much pay MSRP for my frame however i did saved a lot of money by getting a huge discounts on Components and my wheelset Build. Anyway here is my Carbon Troy.

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-s780_dsc_0103.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p0r0y View Post
    I did pretty much pay MSRP for my frame however i did saved a lot of money by getting a huge discounts on Components and my wheelset Build. Anyway here is my Carbon Troy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s780_DSC_0103.jpg 
Views:	2044 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	872782
    Nice build. What tires are those? Look nice a chunky.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Nice build. What tires are those? Look nice a chunky.
    Thanks! The tires are WTB Vigilante 2.35.

I heart the drops

Some suspension figures for the Troy.

Name:  Commencal Meta AM 650B 2014_Pedal-kickback.gif
Views: 1138
Size:  35.0 KBName:  Commencal Meta AM 650B 2014_LevRatio.gif
Views: 1183
Size:  25.3 KBName:  Commencal Meta AM 650B 2014_Forces.gif
Views: 1219
Size:  32.4 KBName:  Commencal Meta AM 650B 2014_Anti-squat.gif
Views: 1096
Size:  25.9 KBName:  Commencal Meta AM 650B 2014_Anti-rise.gif
Views: 1083
Size:  24.9 KBI have dug up
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Forgive my ignorance but what does that all mean?

gravity fighter
    p0r0y's build is what devinci should have sent to interbike. Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p0r0y View Post
    Thanks! The tires are WTB Vigilante 2.35.
    Oh yeah I saw those in the WTB catalog. They look promising. Let us know how you like them.

Would you mind sharing your complete build spec ?

Thanks.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    p0r0y's build is what devinci should have sent to interbike. Nice!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Oh yeah I saw those in the WTB catalog. They look promising. Let us know how you like them.

Would you mind sharing your complete build spec ?

Thanks.
    The tires are awesome but not good for weight weenies. It gives great traction, braking and cornering on just about anything, including loose gravel and dirt, in wet or dry conditions.

Specs on the Troy.

Carbon Troy Medium
    Fox Float CTD Kashima
    Rockshox Pike 150mm
    SRAM XX1 group with 32T Chainring with Mixmaster clamp for Formula Brakes
    Formula The One 180F and 180R
    I9 Enduro Hubs laced to WTB I23 Black with Redline Lacing spokes
    WTB Vigilante 2.35 TCS Tires both Front and rear
    Easton Haven Stem 55mm Black
    Enve DH Bar 800mm
    ODI Rouge Grips
    KS Lev Stealth Dropper post
    WTB Rocket V Saddle
    Shimano Pd 424 pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Krob, you've been awfully active on the Troy thread. Reconsidering that Solo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10669422.jpglooks like Devinci have a burlier bike in the works

First Look - Prototype Devinci All-Mountain Bike - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Forgive my ignorance but what does that all mean?
    Yeah I'd like to know as well...

mtbr member
    Looks like gibberish to me....

mtbr member
    Kinda looks like the Mach 6's first cousin.
    and that's a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post

Name:	p4pb10669422.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	873708looks like Devinci have a burlier bike in the works

First Look - Prototype Devinci All-Mountain Bike - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Epic trailriding in Spain by tallak - Pinkbike Here is a sweet video featuring a few Troy's in action Hope this link works If not look up Epic trail riding in spain on pinkbike

mtbr member
    I saw this picture of me on my Troy, and it looks super small under me, but I love the fit and the balance. This bike keeps getting better.

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-1782417_10151906262877555_1819680913_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    I saw this picture of me on my Troy, and it looks super small under me, but I love the fit and the balance. This bike keeps getting better.

Name:	1782417_10151906262877555_1819680913_o.jpg 
Views:	1206 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	874232
    What size is it & how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Awesome video. Can't wait until the weather allows me more time on mine.

mtbr member
    I'm just under 5-11 and it's a medium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks too small. How close are you to max insert point on seat post? My buddy is your height and rides a large santa cruz solo fits him perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Looks too small. How close are you to max insert point on seat post? My buddy is your height and rides a large santa cruz solo fits him perfect.
    I know right? It does look small, but I'm not near the min insert point on the post, and that's the thing about fit on mountain bikes, it can be subjective. It feels perfect under me, and when I hopped on my buddies medium Intense, it felt slow and stretched out. Of course, I prefer more compact frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    I'm just under 5-11 and it's a medium.
    I agree it looks a tad small. I am about your height (5'10) and rode a med Stumpjumper and Camber for a while. I did not realize that is was hurting my back in long rides. Also, I always felt really scrunched into the handlebars and my center of gravity was way too forward. I think that fit would be good for short techincal rides, but for me at least, comfort for long distance rides wins out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Post a pic of your seatpost height. I fought with bike fit quite a bit in my early years. Im 6ft 3 and ride an xl frame. I had larges before in my hard tail days felt great on downhills but sucked on climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Going for a 20+ mile ride tomorrow on the Troy in the slack setting with a 32t n/w up front and the stock 11-36 in the back. If anyone's interested I'll post the post ride thoughts tomorrow. I never thought I'd use the Troy for these types of rides, but it'll be interesting to see if it can handle a test like this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would like to here how it does this will be a common ride for me . The terrain around me is not real mountainous to say the least but there are lots a roots and washed out areas

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Cool. I'll make sure to post. Doing the 1x10 cheaply knocked .9lbs off the bike and cleaned the bars up quite a bit. I'll be super psyched if it handles it well in the more
    Capable/slack setting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That would be a nice benefit taking some weight off also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Are you leaning (turning) the bike in that photo? It could just be the angle where your body is closer to the lens and you look bigger. But yeah, that bike looks tiny and the seat post is fully extended. I'm 6' and I got a large. I'll have to take a photo from the side to see if my Troy looks small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ride report. Just finished a 9 mi ride that included 2000 feet of climbing. The Troy was awesome on the ups. I knew it was going to be an extended climb so I put the ctd in climb. I suppose if I really wanted to test the suspension, I'd put it in descend. However, I needed all the help I could get fitness-wise. It climbed really impressively. I had to stop a few times on the way up, but this was simply because I was out of gas, not because of the bike.

The descent was awesome. The Pike was buttery smooth. I was admittedly tentative on the descent, because I'm always that way on a new trail. What I will say is the bike is so capable and confidence inspiring. I'm sure I was going faster than I would have on my old set up. The traction was great and the ctd on descend worked wonders. Only one pedal strike for what its worth.

In short, the bike is way better than me both going up and down. In excited to ride it more and ride these trails more to go a bit faster. As sizing is always a question, I'm on a medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: 2014 Devinci Troy quick review

Thanks for the ride report my bike is a week or so from showing up I hope! Bad part is we still have a foot or more of snow on the ground. I know I will be way out of shape its been a long winter. Thanks for the ride report glad you like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Happy to do it. Looking forward to hearing about yours when it comes in. If nothing else you'll be able to stair at it in person instead of online. Plus, I hope you'll share pictures of it in that killer green.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ride report. Just finished a 9 mi ride that included 2000 feet of climbing. The Troy was awesome on the ups. I knew it was going to be an extended climb so I put the ctd in climb. I suppose if I really wanted to test the suspension, I'd put it in descend. However, I needed all the help I could get fitness-wise. It climbed really impressively. I had to stop a few times on the way up, but this was simply because I was out of gas, not because of the bike.

The descent was awesome. The Pike was buttery smooth. I was admittedly tentative on the descent, because I'm always that way on a new trail. What I will say is the bike is so capable and confidence inspiring. I'm sure I was going faster than I would have on my old set up. The traction was great and the ctd on descend worked wonders. Only one pedal strike for what its worth.

In short, the bike is way better than me both going up and down. In excited to ride it more and ride these trails more to go a bit faster. As sizing is always a question, I'm on a medium.
    How tall are you and what is your inseam? I am looking at getting a Med also but could go with the large.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    5'9 and 3/4. Inseam 30' wingspan 72'- which i think is long compared to my height.

The XP comes with a 50mm stem which is fine for me. The large is really only an inch longer. If I was hell bent on a 35mm stem, I'd go for a large. As it stands, the medium felt like I was more in the bike than on top of it. In looking at the picture above, one thing to consider about how small it looks is the really low slung top tube. It makes it look smaller. I'm happy to answer any other questions. Just let me know.

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGPIE!!! View Post
    Yeah I'd like to know as well...
    It means that the Troy is a very pedaling efficient falling rate suspension. Because there are no spikes it means that it is linear in its travel. It will also give you an idea that if you decrease your chainring size that it will have different affects on how it pulls the rear wheel back towards the center of the bike. Here are a couple of sites that explain the theories behind rear suspension.
    Buyer's guide to mountain bike suspension, part 1 - BikeRadar
    Buyer's guide to mountain bike suspension, part 2 - BikeRadar
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the explanation

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    FWIW I just demoed a Scott Genius which is also a modified single pivot trail bike and has very similar geo and travel to the Troy. Here's a very quick summary/comparison.

First off — my Troy demo was on icy/snowy trails that I'd never ridden before. The Scott demo was on muddy trails that I've ridden dozens of times, but never when they were this muddy. Both included moderate climbing (1500-1800 ft) over approx 10 miles. Both bikes were M. The Troy was an aluminum XP, the Genius was carbon, mostly a Premium build (second to highest model, retail almost 2.5X the alu XP Troy!)

Cimbing: Both bikes were nearly bob-free except for short punchy, standing efforts. Both bikes when "locked" out felt very efficient. Opened up, the Troy was more plush. The Genius wasn't exactly harsh, but the suspension was pretty transparent. It didn't feel like a lot was going on, but at the end of the ride my riding buddy noticed I'd used all the travel. Traction-wise, I'd give the nod to the Troy. Except for patches of straight-up ice on an incline, it never slipped and I could keep on chugging. The Genius gave it up a little more so, but not terribly. I did have the tire pressure up a bit high b/c of a time crunch I didn't want to chance a flat. And of course traction is heavily dependent on tires and conditions, but still I felt the Troy was better.

Cornering: Troy all day. The Troy is slightly shorter in WB, and .5° slacker HTA in the low setting (also low setting on Genius.) I kept having trouble with the Genius in tight switchbacks that I usually ride on my 29er XC bike. Maybe it was a familiarity thing, but on the Troy I railed switchbacks pretty well and that was a first ride too.

Fit: For me (5'10.75" with 30" inseam) the Genius fit better. It has approx .5" more reach, 7 mm shorter TT — but who knows how accurate that is — and a little steeper seat angle. After riding the Genius, and looking at the numbers for the M and L Troy, I think I'd still lean towards the M, especially the Carbon frame, but maybe go with a 10MM longer stem to stretch it out a bit.

Descending: This one is tricky to comment on. The Genius felt really good, I was definitely faster in some sections than on my regular ride. I noticed the lesser rollover from the 29, but I also was in better position to attack stuff and the extra suspension and relaxed geometry helped me make up for sloppy or just new line choices. And, it was fun.
    The ride on the Troy is harder to describe b/c the snow affected the descent so much. I was back and forth between letting it go and holding back. Taking that into consideration though, I think it was very solid. I'm sure on a trail I knew and w/o snow, it would be very comparable to the Genius.

Value: The only bike that is even in the discussion with the value of the Troy is the Norco Sight. I plan on demoing that in the next couple of weeks and will compare with the Troy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the comparisons. It is always good to here how a riders take on how these bikes performed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just curious about the Scott; was it the genius or the genius LT? Mentioning extra travel had me wondering. If that's the case, two very different bikes indeed. Thanks for the feedback. Even for someone who already pulled the trigger, its great to hear about other people really liking it. Particularly so with all the chatter about sizing and such.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast