Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: 2014 Devinci Troy quick review

Big tire in front and small in back or simply measuring on a slight slope could make up the angle difference. Or maybe a bad phone incline sensor.

I'm not quite sure why everyone wants to build their Troy's with 160s. Would like to hear how they ride with a 140 fork. I am looking for more of a trail bike as I already have a 160mm bike.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    With what fork? Average rule of thumb is 1 deg for every 20mm diff of A/C height. A Pike is actually only 18mm longer A/C than the Fox 34 140 that comes on the Troy so the HTA drop of less than a degree, on average.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I have the Pike on my Troy. We measured my head angle with a digital angle finder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would say the headangle with a 160mm fork would be very close to what he measured as the the stock 150mm pike measure 67 degrees in the slack setting. If anyone has any questions, feel free to call me at Billy Goat Bikes. Even if you just want to talk bikes. We are also a Norco, Banshee dealer for comparisons. 828-575-2460

Matt

mtbr member
    "I'm not quite sure why everyone wants to build their Troy's with 160s. Would like to hear how they ride with a 140 fork. I am looking for more of a trail bike as I already have a 160mm bike."

It really comes down to the types of trails in the area you live and the type of riding you like. Me and most likely others that like aggressive trails with a DH background but like to climb for prefer a slacker bike with a little more travel upfront.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thank you all on the answers.
    My thoughts is now to go with the carbon or aluminum.
    I ride all kinds of terrains, but mostly from reading, the carbon suppose to fill more "alive", you can "fill" the bikes better. There is the price issue, which can help me put on a good set of wheels if going with the aluminum. I plan on the Pike 150 on the front, XX1 crank, X0 cassette ,derailleur, and brakes.
    I had in mined other 2 other models, but looks like i will go with the troy - Cagua or Riot by Ghost.

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by babi View Post
    Thank you all on the answers.
    My thoughts is now to go with the carbon or aluminum.
    I ride all kinds of terrains, but mostly from reading, the carbon suppose to fill more "alive", you can "fill" the bikes better. There is the price issue, which can help me put on a good set of wheels if going with the aluminum. I plan on the Pike 150 on the front, XX1 crank, X0 cassette ,derailleur, and brakes.
    I had in mined other 2 other models, but looks like i will go with the troy - Cagua or Riot by Ghost.
    I would recommend going full 1x11 either xx1 or x01, the gear range is so much nicer than the 1x10 and it shifts better as well. I would also say if you live in an area where you kick up a lot of rock I would go with the aluminum version. Congrats on your decision.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam View Post
    I would recommend going full 1x11 either xx1 or x01, the gear range is so much nicer than the 1x10 and it shifts better as well. I would also say if you live in an area where you kick up a lot of rock I would go with the aluminum version. Congrats on your decision.
    I think about the 1X10 because today I am on 1X9 and don't have any problems where i ride. 1X11 is good but in my opinion is better for the XC rider, the range is great for it, but if you are more AM&FR, the jumps between the gears is not so friendly, and let not forget about the price difference. With xx1 crank, i do not need the special Wolf front ring, price is better than x0, and the gear shifting with short cage x0 is great.
    I do have rocks where i ride, and also we ride a lot in the desert, rocks are flying, but the new carbon material (for all the bikes), suppose be stronger than 3 years ago, no? i have a friend with a Pivot and another with a Bronson, riding hard, and so far so good. About Lapierre, i can tell you they are not good for hard AM riding, from experience of a friend.

I heart the drops
    The 1x11 really shine on AM and FR because the parallelogram only swings in and out from the ground, and making chain slap virtually impossible. It also has a better feel in between shifts. I have owned 4 1x9 bikes, 3 1x10 bikes, and 1 1x11, and I will say the 1x11 feel blows them all out of the water.

I ride hard, I mean really hard and I have kicked up rocks that have punctured two new carbon frames. While they are strong I have not had good luck with them, perhaps I should stop flying down trails.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member

Wheel Weight

I know some people want to know what the stock wheelset weighs for the XP build kit. I decided to put them on the scale to find out. I weighted them with only the rim strip on them, no rotor or cassette.

First we have the front, which comes in at 867 grams.

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10449187.jpg

Then the rear wheel comes in at 1096 grams.

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10449188.jpg

They actually come out to a better weight than I though they would, a total of 1963 grams. The Enduro wheels from I9 come in at just over 300 grams less and for lighter people (or people easier on wheels) come in just over 500 grams less.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A little late to the party, but I'm also considering a Troy and I'm also 5'11" with a 30" inseam. What size did you try?

A few weeks back I rode a medium Troy XP. It felt really good, though at our height it seems, at least for me, I'm always between sizes and can go either way. I've usually gone smaller, but am rethinking that approach lately.

FWIW a few weeks ago I rode the Troy XP in the snow and ice and while I didn't go all out because of that, I was very impressed with the traction. New trail, new bike and sketchy conditions and I was on the edge of my abilities but having a blast. Also had one of those "I-can't-believe-the-shock-is-fully-open" moments on the ride home on pavement. Good pedaler.

NM. Just read further and got my answer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Solid thread. Few questions for all you Troy owners/oglers: anyone have experience on the Troy with the RC build? Other than missing the Pike, that looks like a solid kit. Not that the Fox 34 is a slouch but. . .

And then more importantly, I mostly ride XC and currently do that on a 1x9 Salsa El Mar with an 80mm Reba Race fork. I'm not super aggressive, but I do ride this bike on everything (some trails for reference regularly ride Tamarancho, Annadel in CA, occasionally Downieville, Cold Creek and Syncline in WA, Sandy Ridge, Post Canyon and all the Mt. Hood trails in OR) Anyway, I'm getting old and riding a hardtail that beats the crap out of my lower back is getting even older.

So I'm looking for a full suss. I suppose I could look at more XC oriented bikes based on what/where/how I ride, but I think getting a bike that's a little more capable yet still pedals pretty well is a good idea. Plus, I rarely race so don't need a feather weight rocket. I do want to push my limits a bit and ride a little faster in techy stuff, little more jumping too. Basically more fun. Any of you riding the Troy as your only bike? With a lot of XC riding in the mix?

Looking at several bikes in this range of travel/intent (HDR, 5010, Trance SX, SB575 etc) the Troys just jump out for value. Anyone have experience on any of these and can compare to the Troy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post
    A little late to the party, but I'm also considering a Troy and I'm also 5'11" with a 30" inseam. What size did you try?

A few weeks back I rode a medium Troy XP. It felt really good, though at our height it seems, at least for me, I'm always between sizes and can go either way. I've usually gone smaller, but am rethinking that approach lately.

FWIW a few weeks ago I rode the Troy XP in the snow and ice and while I didn't go all out because of that, I was very impressed with the traction. New trail, new bike and sketchy conditions and I was on the edge of my abilities but having a blast. Also had one of those "I-can't-believe-the-shock-is-fully-open" moments on the ride home on pavement. Good pedaler.

NM. Just read further and got my answer.
    Haha, I was just going to ask, "what's your question?" It sounds like you're already sold!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pretty much. Don't know if you saw my follow up post, so here it is. Maybe you've got some input on some of these questions.

Solid thread. Few questions for all you Troy owners/oglers: anyone have experience on the Troy with the RC build? Other than missing the Pike, that looks like a solid kit. Not that the Fox 34 is a slouch but. . .

And then more importantly, I mostly ride XC and currently do that on a 1x9 Salsa El Mar with an 80mm Reba Race fork. I'm not super aggressive, but I do ride this bike on everything (some trails for reference regularly ride Tamarancho, Annadel in CA, occasionally Downieville, Cold Creek and Syncline in WA, Sandy Ridge, Post Canyon and all the Mt. Hood trails in OR) Anyway, I'm getting old and riding a hardtail that beats the crap out of my lower back is getting even older.

So I'm looking for a full suss. I suppose I could look at more XC oriented bikes based on what/where/how I ride, but I think getting a bike that's a little more capable yet still pedals pretty well is a good idea. Plus, I rarely race so don't need a feather weight rocket. I do want to push my limits a bit and ride a little faster in techy stuff, little more jumping too. Basically more fun. Any of you riding the Troy as your only bike? With a lot of XC riding in the mix?

Looking at several bikes in this range of travel/intent (HDR, 5010, Trance SX, SB575 etc) the Troys just jump out for value. Anyone have experience on any of these and can compare to the Troy?

mtbr member
    Pretty much. Don't know if you saw my follow up post, so here it is. Maybe you've got some input on some of these questions.
    The RC build is solid for sure, but for my money, the Pike is head and shoulders above the Fox. Through my testing, I got to ride the Fox 34 Kashima/regular, and the Pike was a better fork.

Coming from a serious XC bike to the Troy is gonna feel way different, but way more fun, and the Troy, along with any of the other bikes you mentioned, are going to be really good in the techy stuff. The only bike I can compare on your list is the Trance, and I found the suspension to be harsh, but some people like that..??

The Troy is my only bike here in Austin, and it's perfect. Actually, it seems like it keeps getting better! The geometry is spot on and I can cruise through some really techy ugly sections that used to be a chore on my last bike. Every part of every trail has gotten easier, not easy, but easier.

This bike is sooo much fun to ride, but I would also tell you to ride as many bikes as possible, because you never know what part of a different bike will speak to you.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I love bragging on my Troy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would compare Troy to SC Bronson Carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Kona Process 134 would be a good comparison too

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the input. I definitely plan or test riding a few more bikes before I make my decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Anyone have any video footage of their Troy or POV/GoPro feed?

mtbr member
    I maybe would if the weather would cooperate for me to be able to ride.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Anyone have any video footage of their Troy or POV/GoPro feed?
    I can get you some, but I don't know if you'd be ready for it, it might make your head explode!!! I rode out today on my new Race Face 30t narrow wide, and it f$&king KILLED. Super slow speed rock crawler mode, bad a$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    At the risk of my head spontaneously combusting, bring in the footage! I have watched the three videos of the Troy online a ton of times, and I'm jonesing for more. I'm not getting mine till after January and the wait is killing me. As far as the N/W, do you have the stock 11-36t cassette? Cheers!

mtbr member
    At the risk of my head spontaneously combusting, bring in the footage! I have watched the three videos of the Troy online a ton of times, and I'm jonesing for more. I'm not getting mine till after January and the wait is killing me. As far as the N/W, do you have the stock 11-36t cassette? Cheers!
    Yeah, I have the 11-36. I'll hook up the go pro to get the suspension working too, that's gonna look cool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That'd be awesome. I love the shots with the cam on the rear shock hammering away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

chainrings

That'd be awesome. I love the shots with the cam on the rear shock hammering away.
    about the settings - I plan to build my troy on 1 by 10, but with the original chainring of the Sram X01 or to put on a - Products – wolftoothcomponents.com - and not the RF. I already have a RF ring on my good old Heckler (riding 1x9), and the chain fell off a few times. On a friend bike he have the wolf one, and no falling so far, and he rids harder than me.
    Give it a thought if you are going to ride 1X10.

mtbr member
    I think the 10speed chains would stay on a bit better because of their smaller size. Were you running a clutch derailleur? My chain has only fallen off once in the 3-4months I have been using the RF NW Ring.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I don't have 10 speed yet, only tried it on test bikes.
    On my 9 speed, i don't ride clutch derailleur, have a X9, and as far as i know, it is strong enough, but the RF also fail on a 10 speed X0 clutch derailleur, not every ride, but on the way down in some rides.

*** other Q -
    hopefully i will buy my Troy next week, i will pick the alu version, and want to replace the rear shock for a monarch plus RC3. Does any body have experience with this shock?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    about the settings - I plan to build my troy on 1 by 10, but with the original chainring of the Sram X01 or to put on a - Products – wolftoothcomponents.com - and not the RF. I already have a RF ring on my good old Heckler (riding 1x9), and the chain fell off a few times. On a friend bike he have the wolf one, and no falling so far, and he rids harder than me.
    Give it a thought if you are going to ride 1X10.
    Do you have the RF Wide Narrow ring or just a regular ring?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    RF Wide Narrow ring

mtbr member

*** other Q -
    hopefully i will buy my Troy next week, i will pick the alu version, and want to replace the rear shock for a monarch plus RC3. Does any body have experience with this shock?

Thanks
    Good timing on this question as I just tried my Troy out with a Monarch Plus just for the experience this weekend on varying types of trails. RS recommends the tune for the Troy to be a "medium" compression and rebound tune which is what I tested. I liked the shock overall but I've sent it in to get retuned to a low rebound tune so it performs a little better to my riding style. It works well and you shouldn't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey everyone. As many of you probably did, I picked up the Bible of Bike Tests today. The Troy got slammed for sizing. They basically said that even though the measurements were consistent with Devinci's published numbers, it felt really tight. What size does everyone have and how tall is everyone? I'm 5'10( 5'9 and 3/4 if we're splitting hairs) with. Long reach. I have a medium carbon XP on order. Any issues with sizing for you guys? Thanks much.

mtbr member
    I am 5'10" and the medium feels great to me.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I don't own a Troy but did do a 2 hour test ride on a size medium. I'm 5'10 3/4" with 30" inseam and I will say that size felt a little smaller than I expected, but not necessarily small. With the current trend for longer top tubes, I just thought I'd feel a little more biased towards the rear wheel and in reality, I'd say my seated position felt slightly forward of dead neutral. Not bad, just not what I anticipated. There was plenty of room to move around, throw some body English and get over the rear tire when needed.

The test ride included an icy and snowy road/fireroad climb and some tight switchbacks on the downhill. Traction and pedaling were super impressive and the smallish cockpit didn't hinder me in the tech or switchbacks. A little more rearward positioning would've been preferable to me, though. And I mean a little. Probably could be remedied by slamming the seat all the way forward on the rails.

FWIW my current ride has a more stretched out XC oriented geo so the feeling could partially be chalked up to newness and different intent b/t my Salsa and the Troy.

I am thinking about buying this bike and I will definitely try a size large before I do. I could imagine a size L with a very short stem being spot on. For all the posters on this thread that are about the same height I'd recommend trying both an M and L though there's a couple of guys on here in that +/- 6' range that are on mediums and feel that size is perfect. Really comes down to personal preference.

On most frames I'm usually right in between M/L and can be comfortable on both. It's often just a matter of putting some time in on one or the other and getting used to it.

As far as the Bike Mag review, my takeaway was the sizing just didn't work for 2 out of 3 (based on the video.) Doesn't mean it won't work for you. Overall seemed like the bike, while not one of their favorites, got a decent review.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone. As many of you probably did, I picked up the Bible of Bike Tests today. The Troy got slammed for sizing. They basically said that even though the measurements were consistent with Devinci's published numbers, it felt really tight. What size does everyone have and how tall is everyone? I'm 5'10( 5'9 and 3/4 if we're splitting hairs) with. Long reach. I have a medium carbon XP on order. Any issues with sizing for you guys? Thanks much.
    Yeah, I read that and was a little surprised that they docked it so much for that. Get the right size and try it again. I was also surprised that they all felt the large was a bit short. At 5'11.5" I felt the medium was only slightly cramped, in fact it fit me pretty well, so I had the exact opposite impression about Devinci sizing.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I don't own a Troy but did do a 2 hour test ride on a size medium. I'm 5'10 3/4" with 30" inseam and I will say that size felt a little smaller than I expected, but not necessarily small. With the current trend for longer top tubes, I just thought I'd feel a little more biased towards the rear wheel and in reality, I'd say my seated position felt slightly forward of dead neutral. Not bad, just not what I anticipated. There was plenty of room to move around, throw some body English and get over the rear tire when needed.

The test ride included an icy and snowy road/fireroad climb and some tight switchbacks on the downhill. Traction and pedaling were super impressive and the smallish cockpit didn't hinder me in the tech or switchbacks. A little more rearward positioning would've been preferable to me, though. And I mean a little. Probably could be remedied by slamming the seat all the way forward on the rails.

FWIW my current ride has a more stretched out XC oriented geo so the feeling could partially be chalked up to newness and different intent b/t my Salsa and the Troy.

I am thinking about buying this bike and I will definitely try a size large before I do. I could imagine a size L with a very short stem being spot on. For all the posters on this thread that are about the same height I'd recommend trying both an M and L though there's a couple of guys on here in that +/- 6' range that are on mediums and feel that size is perfect. Really comes down to personal preference.

On most frames I'm usually right in between M/L and can be comfortable on both. It's often just a matter of putting some time in on one or the other and getting used to it.

As far as the Bike Mag review, my takeaway was the sizing just didn't work for 2 out of 3 (based on the video.) Doesn't mean it won't work for you. Overall seemed like the bike, while not one of their favorites, got a decent review.
    I'm 5-10 3/4 with a 30' inseam. I run my medium with a 70mm stem and mildly widish bars, nothing crazy, and I love the fit, totally. I have my seat all the way back on the rails, and it's awesome. I think this bike is meant to have a smallish/compact fit to compliment it's personality, otherwise, I think the Atlas may be a better fit overall. I have a couple of buddies here that both ride Atlas with smaller stems, and they love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pulpwoody I was thinking of you when referencing riders in that height range that love the M Troy. I'm curious though did you also try a large?

And also, do you know the length of the stock stem on the medium? I rode a fully stock Alu XP size medium.

mtbr member
    Here is the video:

2014 Bible of Bike Tests: Devinci Troy Carbon SL - Bike Magazine - YouTube
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    After viewing the video I'd have to say those guys are off base - I've ridden a few size medium 27.5's such as the Bronson, Trance and Carbine and each of does not feel any larger/longer than the Troy.

Hard funkin Kraut
    Im not a potential Troy-Buyer or have ridden one. Im 180 cm (5'11") tall with 84 cm Inseam and if I were to buy a Troy I would definitely go with a large Size and short Stem, 30 to 50 mm max. Im a very happy Banshee Spitfire Rider, but switched from a medium (50 mm Stem) to a large (35 mm Stem) and can only recommend going up in Framesize when you are in-between Sizes and reduce Stem-Length. Best Decision Ive ever made when it comes to Size and Fit. Dont be afraid of loosing Agility due to longer Reach and Wheelbase - a short Stem and wider Bars gives much more direct and quick Steering and I think its better to shorten the Cockpit and overall Toptube-Length instead of lengthen it with 70 mm Stems or Saddle set back on the Rails.
    From my Experience a longer Bike is not less nimble or agile - its just simply less nervous!

Watching the Bible-Video I was also surprised about their Complaints about Framesize. I could only imagine that the Testers in the Meantime are more used to Forward-Geometry-Style-Bikes (= long TT and Reach, short Rear and Stem, steep SA and slack HA). The Troys Geometry is different from that in some Numbers. The TT might be long, but Reach and WB are not. Combine this with a relatively "steep" 67 HA and longer Stem the Bike can possibly "feel short" - shorter that it actually is. Just a Thought ... ?!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Maybe they were shipped a medium frame with a large sticker on it?...It's possible, isn't it, otherwise it seems really odd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Maybe they were shipped a medium frame with a large sticker on it?...It's possible, isn't it, otherwise it seems really odd.
    They said they measured it and it was a large. Hard to understand what the issue is, but given more than one person had the same observation something is going on.

Hopefully they get to try another Troy to see if there is a specific issue with that bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    In the end it does not matter what some reviewers say.. If we love the bike, then what they say does not affect how it feels for us.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    In the end it does not matter what some reviewers say.. If we love the bike, then what they say does not affect how it feels for us.

-Brett
    For sure. It matters not at all to Troy owners. It matters a great deal to Devinci and to potential Troy buyers because it could easily shape their opinion enough to steer them to another bike.

I went in to my local dealer a month ago and asked to check out a Troy. They told me none in stock and if I wanted one in a reasonable amount of time I had to put down a deposit and buy it sight unseen.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    For sure. It matters not at all to Troy owners. It matters a great deal to Devinci and to potential Troy buyers because it could easily shape their opinion enough to steer them to another bike.

I went in to my local dealer a month ago and asked to check out a Troy. They told me none in stock and if I wanted one in a reasonable amount of time I had to put down a deposit and buy it sight unseen.
    I see where you are coming from there. I am sure there will be many other reviews on the bike and we all will get to read a larger variety of reviewer opinions.

They would not order one for a demo bike or anything? That is crazy, is there any other Devinci dealers in your area? I could have waited for my shop (Billy Goat Bikes) to get one in, but as soon as it was released, I knew I wanted one. The shop got several demos and even has demo days in the area trails, even their dh bikes.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    They would not order one for a demo bike or anything? That is crazy, is there any other Devinci dealers in your area? I could have waited for my shop (Billy Goat Bikes) to get one in, but as soon as it was released, I knew I wanted one. The shop got several demos and even has demo days in the area trails, even their dh bikes.

-Brett
    I believe they had a Troy on order, but with these popular and somewhat rare bikes they come and go so fast if you aren't there on the right day you don't get to see it and if someone else paid a deposit the LBS isn't keen on you doing a whole lot more than look at it.

That's not a Devinci thing.

Of all the bikes I was interested in I could only manage to lay my hands on one of them and that required driving 2 days each way!

My issue with Bike Mag is that it has a big voice and ability to reach a lot of people....so in a 8 minute review you shouldn't spend 3-4 mins harping on something that isn't a critical problem. Just say "They seem to run small. Consider sizing up one or get a test ride before you buy." Then move on to the next point.

If the suspension sucked or something was really messed up with the bike it would deserve a big chunk of the review time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I guess the take home message is the same as with any bike search; get on the actual bike and see what feels right. Duh. Thanks for everyone's input. Anyone been on both the Carbon Troy and the Carbon Sight for comparison. Much like a lot of folks, if the Troy doesn't feel right, the Carbon Sight 7.2 is my default. Seems like a similar spec and price point, although the Troy XP has the Pike and the Sight is a little cheaper but has the Revelation. Not an insignificant detail. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Funny this has come up, while not a Troy, I'm looking at an Atlas and not sure what to make of the numbers. I'm just shy of 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam. I ride a large Tallboy with a 70mm stem and I' trying to decide on a medium or large Atlas.

Of course, no where to try one near me.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Agreed about the review. The emphasis isn't on the actual ride. Valid points about fit. The ride and fit can't be separated, but it seemed as though the ability to climb and descend was a footnote. I would think the latter point would have made up the bulk of the comments. No mention of cornering,small bump sensitivity,square edge hits, the spec. Doesn't seem like a very thorough review from guys whose job it is to provide just that.

mtbr member
    Pulpwoody I was thinking of you when referencing riders in that height range that love the M Troy. I'm curious though did you also try a large?

And also, do you know the length of the stock stem on the medium? I rode a fully stock Alu XP size medium.
    No, I didn't try a large, because as soon as I hoped on the medium, it felt great. I don't know about the stock stem, but I'll guess a 70mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just ordered a XL Troy Carbon with a custom X01 build, Pike, and I9 Torchs a week ago so I am exctied to say the least. New Bike Mag came in the mail yesterday....Piss poor review imo. They spend one paragraph talking about Steve smith's A-line win, the next three complaining about the build; bars to narrow, 2x10 instead of x01/xx1. In the fifth paragraph they complain about the cockpit "feeling" short, but say it measures true to advertised geo numbers. That doesn't make any sense to me. It's got the same reach, and a little longer TT then mosts bike, so is the SA super steep? Then in the final paragraph they state that the RR build for $100 more has X01/xx1 and wide Chromag bars, EXACTLY WHAT THEY SPENT THE BULK OF THE REVIEW CRYING ABOUT. Finally in the last setence they talk about how the bike performs by stating that the bike pedals efficinetly because of the DW split pivot Design. Worst Journalism ever??

mtbr member
    Has anyone actually taken a tape measure to see what the theoretical top tube measurement is and compared it to what there specs say? I have a shop in NC that did it for me on a medium frame because top tube/front triangle measurement is huge to the overall feel of the bike and its almost an inch off from there specs. Actually measured 23" instead of the 23.89 that they stated in there specs. So I would be interested to see if someone can take a tape to a large frame and see what they are getting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Funny this has come up, while not a Troy, I'm looking at an Atlas and not sure what to make of the numbers. I'm just shy of 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam. I ride a large Tallboy with a 70mm stem and I' trying to decide on a medium or large Atlas.

not to derail things, but email Wes at Motorangutang (formerly Pink Gorilla Cycles) that's where I got my Troy from. He and another guy have been riding the Atlas since they came out, and they love them. I think Wes could give you some good insight on sizing. I'll pm you his info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill502 View Post
    Has anyone actually taken a tape measure to see what the theoretical top tube measurement is and compared it to what there specs say? I have a shop in NC that did it for me on a medium frame because top tube/front triangle measurement is huge to the overall feel of the bike and its almost an inch off from there specs. Actually measured 23" instead of the 23.89 that they stated in there specs. So I would be interested to see if someone can take a tape to a large frame and see what they are getting.
    In that case I am really glad that I ordered an XL, as I have always rode larges. Next time I am in the shop I'll try and measure a few top tubes, and get to the bottom of this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tootrikky View Post
    In that case I am really glad that I ordered an XL, as I have always rode larges. Next time I am in the shop I'll try and measure a few top tubes, and get to the bottom of this.
    Awesome thanks

mtbr member
    This is from Matt at Billy Goat Bikes in North Carolina, who is a killer guy by the way and knows his shit.

Medium Troy carbon 22 13/16"
    Large Troy carbon 23 5/8"
    Large Sight alloy 23 3/4"
    Large Banshee spitfire alloy 24"
    These were measured parallel to the floor using a level and a tape measure. The Banshee is the only one who actually measures close to what they say it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is from Matt at Billy Goat Bikes in North Carolina, who is a killer guy by the way and knows his shit.

These were measured parallel to the floor using a level and a tape measure. The Banshee is the only one who actually measures close to what they say it is.

I just read through the other Troy thread in the 650B forum and there was quite a few people that measured the TT's and they all ran short as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: 2014 Devinci Troy quick review

I'm your hight, but have shorter legs(long torso). I'm running the Large size, and couldn't be happier. I'm running it as a Trail/AM bike and are using a fox 34 talas on it, shorter stem, and wider bars. I would recommend the size L for you. The slack seattube will probably make it unbalanced in a size M, as the seat will be to far back. All recommendations I've heard of, is that if you are in between sizes, go up on the Atlas.

mtbr member

The published tt length for the Troy is a virtual or effective measurement. Taking a tape measure and measuring it like we all do won't give you that when you have a bent/curved seat tube or a straight seat tube which doesn't bisect the BB. The ETT will be longer as you can see in the diagram below. (The effective STA will also be different than what you would get by putting an inclinometer on the actual seat tube.)

Here's a primer on the subject from the Knolly forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Christmas refresher course:

Words by Noel:

Measuring top tube length is generally considered to be a horizontal line from the center axis of the top of the head tube, that goes backwards and intersects with the seat tube axis. The trick is, what is the difference between TT length and ETT length? On a frame with traditional construction (i.e. where the seat tube axis pierces the BB shell's axis), the ETT length and the TT length are exactly the same.

However, on a frame where the seat tube axis does NOT pierce the BB shell axis, the standard TT length then becomes meaningless because the seat tube angle doesn't mean anything. This is an issue on many, many modern frames, not just Knolly frames. Consider the multitude of frames that have "bent" seat tubes (whether actually bent or hydro-formed aluminum tubes, or are laid up in carbon this way). While the bottom of the seat tube may match up with the BB shell, the seat tube axis (where the seat post is installed into the seat tube) does NOT pierce the BB shell axis. This is extremely common to ensure that there is enough room for the rear wheel / rear linkage under full compression of the frame. On these kinds of frames, the actual seat tube angle cannot be used to make an effective measurement of the top tube length. Additionally, since the actual angle of the seat tube is slacker than the normal range of 72-74 degrees (for an MTB) when the seat is raised, it's hard to get a good indication of where the seat will be a) relative to the BB axis, and b) relative to the head tube.
    Hence, the creation of the ETT(Effective Top Tube length). The idea here is to have a "virtual" seat tube: this is essentially an imaginary axis that is at a prescribed angle (i.e. 73 degrees) and this axis is considered to pierce the BB shell axis. On any well designed frame with a seat tube that doesn't pierce the BB shell axis, the actual seat tube and the virtual seat tube should meet up where the saddle would be in a normal pedaling position. When dropped, the saddle will move slightly forwards, away from the virtual seat tube axis. While it's very obvious on our frames (because the seat tube intersects the down tube visually), the same situation exists on many (in fact, most) modern frames with travel more than about 5" because the tire and rear linkage need somewhere to go when fully compressed.

The diagram gives a good idea of what happens here. Obviously, I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the situation shown in the diagram (with the continuous seat tube) is exactly how Knolly frames are designed. There are obviously a few more tweaks than this in determining frame geometry, but this gives the general idea, and how ETT length and TT length are similar, but not quite the same thing. It also explains how we deal with ensuring that we have enough room behind the seat tube for the rear wheel and linkage, while still allowing a full length seat tube to be used in the frame (especially important for medium and small frames and customers using dropper posts).

Assuming that the seat tube angle is reasonable, ETT is the correct measurement when looking to determine the top tube length for fitting frame sizes, as (actual) TT length is meaningless for any frame that doesn't have a seat tube axis that pierces the BB shell axis.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-09-2014 at 08:50 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    The published tt length for the Troy is a virtual or effective measurement. Taking a tape measure and measuring it like we all do won't give you that when you have a bent/curved seat tube or a top tube which doesn't bisect the BB. The ETT will be longer as you can see in the diagram below. (The effective STA will also be different than what you would get by putting an inclinometer on the actual seat tube.)

Here's a primer on the subject from the Knolly forum:
    Kinda wish they would have labeled it ETT instead of just TT measurement in there geo chart. Im still excited to demo the Troy this weekend but I will definitely be trying a Large instead of medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    I'm your hight, but have shorter legs(long torso). I'm running the Large size, and couldn't be happier. I'm running it as a Trail/AM bike and are using a fox 34 talas on it, shorter stem, and wider bars. I would recommend the size L for you. The slack seattube will probably make it unbalanced in a size M, as the seat will be to far back. All recommendations I've heard of, is that if you are in between sizes, go up on the Atlas.
    Well I found a used Med locally and it has me more confused. Rode in a parking lot and it felt fine, now it had a 90mm stem and flat bars. I thought for sure I'd ride and feel cramped, but didnt. The owner is going to met me at a trail and let me put my stem and bars on it for a test ride.

I will say the test ride has me really interested in a short chain stay bike. Don't get me wrong, I love my TBc, but a shorter CS and WB just makes it even more playfully.

Sorry for the derail.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Kinda wish they would have labeled it ETT instead of just TT measurement in there geo chart. Im still excited to demo the Troy this weekend but I will definitely be trying a Large instead of medium.
    Agreed. It would make more sense. That's another reason why reach and stack numbers probably mean more for determining fit than tt "measurements" with many of today's FS frames with their curved and hydroformed seat tubes and linkages, etc. Most of us aren't as linked into what those numbers should be for our personal sizing though.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It would be helpful if more manufacturers put sizing guide suggestions for the bikes they designed. They obviously have an idea of the rider height range for the frames they designed. Santa cruz does a good job on this. They show the sweet spot for the frame to give you an idea of if you need to check out a couple of sizes or fit perfectly on one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    It would be helpful if more manufacturers put sizing guide suggestions for the bikes they designed. They obviously have an idea of the rider height range for the frames they designed. Santa cruz does a good job on this. They show the sweet spot for the frame to give you an idea of if you need to check out a couple of sizes or fit perfectly on one.

Those charts only work if you fall clearly in one size or another. For those of us that fall near the cut offs, they are useless.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We have all three sizes in Demo Troys. I realize this doesn't help you if you not close to our shop but give me a call and I will help you as much as I can. I think you should ride any bike to make sure you have the correct size. I dont think anyone should buy a bike without riding it first. Ride what feels good to you as geometry charts are never correct. If you cant ride one then talk to someone who has. We travel to a bunch of races as well so we bring bikes with us and you can ride any of our bikes any time, Just ask

Matt
    Billy Goat Bikes
    828-575-2460

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That is a possibility. I'm a Devinci dealer and frames have been mislabeled in the past.They did put a tape on it though and it was a large. My Ibis is a little short too,big deal,go to the next size if necessary. Beyond that issue, the"Bible" review seems terribly biased without offering any concrete data to back up their opinion. Their comments on gearing are fair given that their riding is on dry, pretty buff single-track with no big or super steep climbs. As far as tires are concerned, they can be swapped out at the store for the riders preference,hardly a big deal.
    Last edited by stoats; 01-10-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: redundant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmatt17 View Post
    We have all three sizes in Demo Troys. I realize this doesn't help you if you not close to our shop but give me a call and I will help you as much as I can. I think you should ride any bike to make sure you have the correct size. I dont think anyone should buy a bike without riding it first. Ride what feels good to you as geometry charts are never correct. If you cant ride one then talk to someone who has. We travel to a bunch of races as well so we bring bikes with us and you can ride any of our bikes any time, Just ask

Matt
    Billy Goat Bikes
    828-575-2460
    This guy is the tits!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    He is awesome to deal with. Best customer service and killer selection at his shop

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Deuce Troy's

Just Picked up these Beaut's last Night. XL feels perfect for me at 6'2". Small is for the Lady. I would like to thank Fanatik Bike, they did an amazing job building these up. Can't wait to ride em.
    Small Weighs 25.6 lbs. XL Weighs 26.5lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Devinci Troy quick review-troys.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2014 Devinci Troy quick review

Sweet builds. Can you confirm the ETT and Reach measurements on the XL?

QUOTE=tootrikky;10930323]Just Picked up these Beaut's last Night. XL feels perfect for me at 6'2". Small is for the Lady. I would like to thank Fanatik Bike, they did an amazing job building these up. Can't wait to ride em.
    Small Weighs 25.6 lbs. XL Weighs 26.5lbs.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Agreed. It would make more sense. That's another reason why reach and stack numbers probably mean more for determining fit than tt "measurements" with many of today's FS frames with their curved and hydroformed seat tubes and linkages, etc. Most of us aren't as linked into what those numbers should be for our personal sizing though.
    Exactly. Can't see why there has been so much discussion on sizing when Devinci have Reach measurement on their website . ETT is meaningless with different seat angles.I bet we all slide our seats back and fwd to what feels right no matter waht the seat angle is. So the ETT is meaningless even with conventional set tubes.It's one step better than a novice using the seat tube length as a size guide. It's as easy as dropping a plumb bob from the head tube of the current bike and measure relative to the BB . No guessing required. Do the same for the seat and you can dial it in exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After Krob's great point about it being a Virtual Dimension, what's the point? I did attempt to measure the reach on my XL on it might be in the 445-455 range. Being a CNC Programmer/Machinist, I would guess my garage method of measuring is probably accurate no more than +/- 5mm on a good day. It's an impossible measurement to do with a 4ft level and a scale. The more I think about it the dumber it seems do a measurement like this w/out the proper equipment and then make any comparisons from it or publish it on the web...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Sweet builds. Can you confirm the ETT and Reach measurements on the XL?

QUOTE=tootrikky;10930323]Just Picked up these Beaut's last Night. XL feels perfect for me at 6'2". Small is for the Lady. I would like to thank Fanatik Bike, they did an amazing job building these up. Can't wait to ride em.
    Small Weighs 25.6 lbs. XL Weighs 26.5lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    for everyone that is so worried about the reach and the EET, you all need to just go try and find one to demo or find a bike with geo that is near the same and ride that. freaking about about measurements is pointless. the ones they posted on the web site are 100% correct. as many have said before when the tubes curve your taking a measurement of a the reach as it sits. your not taking a measurement of the actual top tube due to it being that way. most of these measurements are just for a referance point any ways. it would be plain dumb to buy a bike without demoing it based ot ETT and Reach measurements

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    for everyone that is so worried about the reach and the EET, you all need to just go try and find one to demo or find a bike with geo that is near the same and ride that. freaking about about measurements is pointless. the ones they posted on the web site are 100% correct. as many have said before when the tubes curve your taking a measurement of a the reach as it sits. your not taking a measurement of the actual top tube due to it being that way. most of these measurements are just for a referance point any ways. it would be plain dumb to buy a bike without demoing it based ot ETT and Reach measurements
    Real easy to say when you live in an area with lots of LBS'. The closet Devinci dealer for me is over 1hr drive without traffic. Oh and guess what, no Atlas to ride. I was lucky there was a used one locally I could try, but it's a medium and I'd still like to try a large before deciding.

Yes it's always best to test ride, on the east coast seldom a reality. No big bike show here where you can go ride all types.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Real easy to say when you live in an area with lots of LBS'. The closet Devinci dealer for me is over 1hr drive without traffic. Oh and guess what, no Atlas to ride. I was lucky there was a used one locally I could try, but it's a medium and I'd still like to try a large before deciding.

Yes it's always best to test ride, on the east coast seldom a reality. No big bike show here where you can go ride all types.
    if i was spending close to 3k on a frame then an hour drive is nothing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    if i was spending close to 3k on a frame then an hour drive is nothing
    Guess you missed the no Atlas or Troy for demo, so why drive a hour?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Guess you missed the no Atlas or Troy for demo, so why drive a hour?
    My LBS had no Troy even look at so I feel your pain.

It's easy to say demo bike X, but for a lot of us it's much harder to actually find bike X in stock, in the size we need, setup correctly and available for a real dirt demo.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Mine is over 2 hours away. If you want it bad enough, you will make the drive to see it in person and make a decision. Numbers dont mean everything, just get on something and if you like it then great, if not then it is not for you and there are lots of other options.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mine is over 2 hours away. If you want it bad enough, you will make the drive to see it in person and make a decision. Numbers dont mean everything, just get on something and if you like it then great, if not then it is not for you and there are lots of other options.

-Brett
    Ok Mr. answers, why don't you find a demo for me. The next closest shop is 8 hours round trip- you know what they said when I called " Oh even though we're listed on their website, we really don't stock them"
    Next shop is 11 hours round trip- take a wild guess if they have one in stock. That's all the Devinci website list for my area.

Easy to make stupid blanket post when you don't have a clue.

If there was a demo to be had 2 hours away I'd do it.

Actually, it'd be nice if the bike industry would stop ignoring the east coast. I want to try a bunch of bikes before buying, but it's just not going to happen. Plenty of Niner dealers, no RDO's to Demo. No Yetis, Pivots or Ibis.

So send me the airfare and I'll be glad to take your wonderful advice and fly out and demo them all.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Ok Mr. answers, why don't you find a demo for me. The next closest shop is 8 hours round trip- you know what they said when I called " Oh even though we're listed on their website, we really don't stock them"
    Next shop is 11 hours round trip- take a wild guess if they have one in stock. That's all the Devinci website list for my area.

Easy to make stupid blanket post when you don't have a clue.

If there was a demo to be had 2 hours away I'd do it.

Actually, it'd be nice if the bike industry would stop ignoring the east coast. I want to try a bunch of bikes before buying, but it's just not going to happen. Plenty of Niner dealers, no RDO's to Demo. No Yetis, Pivots or Ibis.

So send me the airfare and I'll be glad to take your wonderful advice and fly out and demo them all.

Blanket post, I just replied to the information you gave me. If you actually took the time to give good info in your post then you wouldn't have made that rant of yours..
    You just said you had a dealer, you didnt say they didnt have any in stock. Did I say anything about demoing all the bikes in the world, no. What it read like is that there are plenty of bikes in your area that you could try out. Blanket post...

Now back to what the thread is supposed to be about, the Troy, not people complaining and crying about the state of the bike market and options...

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Blanket post, I just replied to the information you gave me. If you actually took the time to give good info in your post then you wouldn't have made that rant of yours..
    You just said you had a dealer, you didnt say they didnt have any in stock. Did I say anything about demoing all the bikes in the world, no. What it read like is that there are plenty of bikes in your area that you could try out. Blanket post...

Now back to what the thread is supposed to be about, the Troy, not people complaining and crying about the state of the bike market and options...

-Brett
    Sure enough, didn't say that there wasn't a demo to ride.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sure enough, didn't say that there wasn't a demo to ride.
    This tread is not about the Atlas, It is about the Troy. So your post is off topic and irrelevant then, my bad.

Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    This is an early review of the Troy, but so far, I'm very impressed. Currently, I'm demo'ing the Carbon RC, courtesy of Pink Gorilla Cycles here in austin.

This bike feels really, really light. I know there's others out there that are lighter, but from the bikes I'm used to, this thing is a XC rocket.

What size you get being 5'11"? Med or large?

The suspension is very simple, no expensive, uber machined small links to drive up the cost, but it works and works extremely well. It has a way of providing a fantastic pedaling platform and opening up during hits. It works so well.

I've only taken it out on a couple of trails, and those weren't really complete rides, but this bike hauls a$$. I actually commuted on it yesterday to work and back, and it was better than my commuter in many ways. It was half way to work before I realized that the shock was in full, wide open descend mode. Granted, most people won't be riding this on the road all that often, but it goes to show how efficient the suspension is.

The fit is spot on, dead solid perfect. I'm 5-11, short inseam and long arms.

As a reference, I've ridden two different Pivots, the Kona Process 134, the Banshee
    spitfire, the rocky mountain altitude 650, the Giant trance 650.
    What size, medium or large? I am 5'10" max (w/shoes), but long legs, shorter torso myself and not sure med or large.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    What size, medium or large? I am 5'10" max (w/shoes), but long legs, shorter torso myself and not sure med or large.
    I'm just under 5-11, and I'm on a medium, it's perfect for me. When someone else hops on the Troy, they always comment on how balanced it feels, which is true.

I'd say you'd be happy on a medium, but I don't know what your riding style is. My set up is pretty compact, but that's what I like. Not cramped, compact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    I'm just under 5-11, and I'm on a medium, it's perfect for me. When someone else hops on the Troy, they always comment on how balanced it feels, which is true.

I'd say you'd be happy on a medium, but I don't know what your riding style is. My set up is pretty compact, but that's what I like. Not cramped, compact.
    Thanks! I realized you were on med after reading a few posts down. I like compact as well for maneuverability of bike under me. My med Rune V2 is of similar sizing, but plan this to be my XC/trail rig (even though it sounds like it can handle more). Will hop on a med and large to see how it feels for seated pedalling up hills and what not. It's between this and 5010c for me as my XC/trail slasher and keep the Rune V2 (Saint, Lyric DH build) for rougher AM bashing and thrashing duties.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks! I realized you were on med after reading a few posts down. I like compact as well for maneuverability of bike under me. My med Rune V2 is of similar sizing, but plan this to be my XC/trail rig (even though it sounds like it can handle more). Will hop on a med and large to see how it feels for seated pedalling up hills and what not. It's between this and 5010c for me as my XC/trail slasher and keep the Rune V2 (Saint, Lyric DH build) for rougher AM bashing and thrashing duties.
    Good call, I find myself using all of the travel on my Troy in bigger situations.

mtbr member
    I rarely will use all of my travel, but most of the trails in the local area are pretty tame. I put in a token in the Pike to help make it a bit more progressive and I like it a lot better that way so far. I plan on using this bike for more technical trails in the summer as well as some tamer dh courses.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My LBS had no Troy even look at so I feel your pain.

It's easy to say demo bike X, but for a lot of us it's much harder to actually find bike X in stock, in the size we need, setup correctly and available for a real dirt demo.
    Yup, and a parking lot test is about the same as not riding the bike as well

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Good job!

Quick Review on the new Troy after 3 rides. Background; Longtime "Pack Filler" pro DH'r, getting old and looking to get serious about Enduro racing blah blah.
    I am coming off 2013 Large AL Covert 26, that I thought worked really
    well, but was a little overweight at 31.5#, and a bit cramped in the
    TT when running a 50mm stem for my 6'2" 200 lbs frame.

Build
    -XL Carbon Frame
    -Fox CTD
    -Pike Solo Air At 150mm travel
    -Race Face Next 175mm cranks
    -Sram X01 11psd Drive w/ 32 RF ring
    -I9 Torch Wheels
    -Schwable Hans Dampf 2.35F/2.25R
    -Reverb 150mm
    -XT Brakes
    -Race Face 35mm Atlas bars and a RF Atlas 35mm stem
    -26.5# w/out pedals

Some Approximate Basement measurements, in the low setting

Reach 450mm (really hard to get a measurement. I measured it 4 or 5
    times and averaged it out, so take with a grain of salt)
    Wheel base 47"
    BB 13.1"
    HA 66.7
    Chainstay 17"

The Frame is well thought out, and has a lifetime waranty to boot.
    Sitting on the bike the top tube feels stiff for an XL,
    and the rear triangle is exceptionally stiff when grabbing the real
    wheel and doing a little side to side tug. The internal cable routing
    really cleans things up aesthetically. Supposedly it has internal tube
    guides inside the frame, which should make replacing cables simple
    when the time comes. I usually take the dust seals off of the pivot
    bearings and pack them full of grease on a new bike, but the Enduro
    bearings on this bike were so full of grease I didn't need to do this,
    so bonus points there! There is a nice foam pad on the downtube for
    rock protection and it comes witjh a decent chainstay chain slap pad
    as well. I am little worried about the press fit BB as I
    have had some friends that have had issues with this new standard.
    Only time will tell on this though.

The first ride out on this bike was a night ride in the fog with zerop visibilty, so all that I learned was that a 35mm stem was too short for me, and that it climbs well. I replaced the stem and bars, with a set of 31.8 Renthals and a 50mm stem that I had in the parts bin.

Second ride out was at Galbraith, and the third ride
    was at Duthie Hill Bike park. Things that have stood out to me so far
    are; Loving the Longer top tube of the XL, I can stand up and hammer
    and not have to worry about getting tangled up in the handlebars, also
    the front axle being a little further out is, well... believe the hype,
    it's sweet! The Seated position on the bike feels perfect. I have the seat setup neutral, (level and in the middle of the rails fore-aft) and it
    feels perfect for climbing and with the 5 inch Reverb there is plenty
    of clearance at full drop to get rowdy, where as on my last bike I
    had to put the seat all the way forward in the rails to feel
    comfortable on climbs.

The rear suspension pedals well as one would expect from a
    DW design and doesn't require as smooth of a pedal stroke as the
    Covert did with the rear shock opened up. The climb mode is usefull for raising the rear end up on long climbs, and during any out the saddle hammering efforts, but I could imagine leaving it open for just about all types of dirt riding.

Jumping and descending, it took no time for me to get used to it. 215# of air in the rear shock seems to be the sweet spot at which the bottom is hard to find but the bike is still plush enough to maintain momentum the chop. Getting air time, the suspension feels a little more
    linear than the Covert to me, but so far that is a positive as it
    doesn't have as much kick off of lips at full compression, but still
    is playfull ,and very neutral in the air. It also seemd to not get hung up on square edge hits and maintained moentum better than my previous bike but that may just be the larger wheels? I will experiment with some spacers in the shock to up the progessiveness, but I have a feeling the stock shock tune is where I'll end up staying.

Cornering is amazing, and so far to me that has been the standout
    characteristic of the bike. Whether it was a bermed or flat, or an off camber corner, I felt like I wasn't pushing it hard enough. My GF who's riding a small Troy has noted the same thing as well.

The only Negative I'll throw out there is the TT does feel a
    little short, however that worked out prefectly for me being on the short end of the XL scale. I did try to measure the TT but nothing conclusive came of that due to it being a virtual measurement. Hopefully someone with more resources than me can get to the bottom of the sizing on these Troy's.

To sum it up, neutral jumper, corners like on rails, efficient climber, light, and not bad looking either!

mtbr member
    Quick Review on the new Troy after 3 rides. Background; Longtime "Pack Filler" pro DH'r, getting old and looking to get serious about Enduro racing blah blah.
    I am coming off 2013 Large AL Covert 26, that I thought worked really
    well, but was a little overweight at 31.5#, and a bit cramped in the
    TT when running a 50mm stem for my 6'2" 200 lbs frame.

Build
    -XL Carbon Frame
    -Fox CTD
    -Pike Solo Air At 150mm travel
    -Race Face Next 175mm cranks
    -Sram X01 11psd Drive w/ 32 RF ring
    -I9 Torch Wheels
    -Schwable Hans Dampf 2.35F/2.25R
    -Reverb 150mm
    -XT Brakes
    -Race Face 35mm Atlas bars and a RF Atlas 35mm stem
    -26.5# w/out pedals

Some Approximate Basement measurements, in the low setting

Reach 450mm (really hard to get a measurement. I measured it 4 or 5
    times and averaged it out, so take with a grain of salt)
    Wheel base 47"
    BB 13.1"
    HA 66.7
    Chainstay 17"

The Frame is well thought out, and has a lifetime waranty to boot.
    Sitting on the bike the top tube feels stiff for an XL,
    and the rear triangle is exceptionally stiff when grabbing the real
    wheel and doing a little side to side tug. The internal cable routing
    really cleans things up aesthetically. Supposedly it has internal tube
    guides inside the frame, which should make replacing cables simple
    when the time comes. I usually take the dust seals off of the pivot
    bearings and pack them full of grease on a new bike, but the Enduro
    bearings on this bike were so full of grease I didn't need to do this,
    so bonus points there! There is a nice foam pad on the downtube for
    rock protection and it comes witjh a decent chainstay chain slap pad
    as well. I am little worried about the press fit BB as I
    have had some friends that have had issues with this new standard.
    Only time will tell on this though.

The first ride out on this bike was a night ride in the fog with zerop visibilty, so all that I learned was that a 35mm stem was too short for me, and that it climbs well. I replaced the stem and bars, with a set of 31.8 Renthals and a 50mm stem that I had in the parts bin.

Second ride out was at Galbraith, and the third ride
    was at Duthie Hill Bike park. Things that have stood out to me so far
    are; Loving the Longer top tube of the XL, I can stand up and hammer
    and not have to worry about getting tangled up in the handlebars, also
    the front axle being a little further out is, well... believe the hype,
    it's sweet! The Seated position on the bike feels perfect. I have the seat setup neutral, (level and in the middle of the rails fore-aft) and it
    feels perfect for climbing and with the 5 inch Reverb there is plenty
    of clearance at full drop to get rowdy, where as on my last bike I
    had to put the seat all the way forward in the rails to feel
    comfortable on climbs.

The rear suspension pedals well as one would expect from a
    DW design and doesn't require as smooth of a pedal stroke as the
    Covert did with the rear shock opened up. The climb mode is usefull for raising the rear end up on long climbs, and during any out the saddle hammering efforts, but I could imagine leaving it open for just about all types of dirt riding.

Jumping and descending, it took no time for me to get used to it. 215# of air in the rear shock seems to be the sweet spot at which the bottom is hard to find but the bike is still plush enough to maintain momentum the chop. Getting air time, the suspension feels a little more
    linear than the Covert to me, but so far that is a positive as it
    doesn't have as much kick off of lips at full compression, but still
    is playfull ,and very neutral in the air. It also seemd to not get hung up on square edge hits and maintained moentum better than my previous bike but that may just be the larger wheels? I will experiment with some spacers in the shock to up the progessiveness, but I have a feeling the stock shock tune is where I'll end up staying.

Cornering is amazing, and so far to me that has been the standout
    characteristic of the bike. Whether it was a bermed or flat, or an off camber corner, I felt like I wasn't pushing it hard enough. My GF who's riding a small Troy has noted the same thing as well.

The only Negative I'll throw out there is the TT does feel a
    little short, however that worked out prefectly for me being on the short end of the XL scale. I did try to measure the TT but nothing conclusive came of that due to it being a virtual measurement. Hopefully someone with more resources than me can get to the bottom of the sizing on these Troy's.

To sum it up, neutral jumper, corners like on rails, efficient climber, light, and not bad looking either!
    Excellent early impression review, thanks for taking the time to post! I took a large and med Troy out for the first time yesterday for sizing and feel testing. I am 5'10" w/shoes (33" acutal inseam) and typically in the middle of med and large frames. The large with 50 stem felt pretty much perfect for me for balanced climbing and descending. I measured the ETT of the large and medium and came up with 22.9" for the medium and 23.6" for the large with 160 fork on both. I plan to used 150 Pike as well. I test rode these two size Troys against a SC 5010 (alloy and carbon) and Mach 6. The Mach 6 felt most balance geometry wise and most composed suspension while pedalling, but the Troy was hand's down the most supple and ate up the stair test the best (just smoothly rippled down a long set of stairs, whereas other bikes pounded and violently chopped their way down to varying degrees). I was really focussing on a 5010c as my go-to XC/trail bike to comlement my more aggro Rune V2. But, after spinning the Troy around the hills and what not yesterday, it has won my heart over in what a good trail bike should feel like. Sounds like people just need to size up if in between sizes to get the best fit.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Where we're you that you got to demo Solo Alu, Solo Carbon, a Mach 6, and two Troys?!?! I'm the same dimensions as you and I'm looking forward to demoing in a couple weeks. What length stem was on the medium you rode?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    . I measured the ETT of the large and medium and came up with 22.9" for the medium and 23.6" for the large with 160 fork on both. .
    No problem. sorry about all the typos. Crazy how many good bikes are out there today. So hard to choose!

Did you read the post about it being a virtual measurement? Measuring the
    ETT doesn't tell you much, and will not correlate to the published Devinci #'s. You could measure your current bike and try to compare it to the Troy, and get some usefull information, but you would have to be creative in finding a repeatable accurate way of measuring, and then sharing it for others to compare with would require that they copy your method exactly..... Not easy.

mtbr member
    Hey Tootricky - Nice review and welcome to the Troy family. Hopefully I'll see you somewhere on the Seattle trail system(s).

I agree with your comments regarding how the suspension feels linear. Overall I believe this is one of the key reasons why the Troy performs well it only uses the amount of travel needed to overcome an obstacle.

I personally have really enjoyed my Troy finding it to be the perfect bike for the varying trails I like to ride from the trails off I-90 to the smoother variety like Grand Ridge and everything in between.

mtbr member
    Where we're you that you got to demo Solo Alu, Solo Carbon, a Mach 6, and two Troys?!?! I'm the same dimensions as you and I'm looking forward to demoing in a couple weeks. What length stem was on the medium you rode?
    FTF (Fat Tire Farm) in Portland, OR. Took out a demo large Troy tonight (XP Alu kit), so I can ride it off-road a bit (other bikes tested were all new, floor models so had to stick wiht pavement). The large had a 50 stem with wide bars (780) and feels absolutely perfect in size for me. Measured the ETT with 150 Pike fork and got 23.3" for large (much different than claimed 24.7" in large sizing). On the new floor model that I rode yesterday is a large with 160 Pike, ETT came in at 23.6". The bike pedalled better with 150 fork to me, whereas the 160 felt a little too tall and slack from fore to aft to me. For all day trail slaying with lots of pedaling, 140-150 max fork is the way to go. Too bad Pike doesn't come in 150-120 for the long, stiff climbs to descent, cause I think that would be perfect. Oh, BB with 150 fork came in at 13.4" in low setting with 66.5 HTA, 71.9 STA. I plan to keep my Rune V2 as my AM pounder/jumper, so would probably space Pike down to 140 for stock geomety of 67 HTA, 72.4 STA, 13.3" BB. If it was my one bike, then would just run 150 fork.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    What length stem was on the medium you rode?
    Sorry, didn't answer your question, the medium Troy had at a 60 stem on there. Large with 50 felt much better to me in sizing. FWIW, my med Rune V2 that I pedal everywhere about 4x/wk with 50 stem/785 wide bars, sometimes up to 7000ft of gain/loss on all trails (my max). The medium Troy is a smidge shorter ETT and reach in static measurments. The WB of my 26" wheeled Rune is closer to large Troy. At 5'10" my med Rune is pretty much the absolute smallest I could go for the amount of pedalling/climbing I do (refuse to use longer stems to compensate). I do use a dropper fork lowered to 130 and jack my seatpost a mile high on the long, continuous climbs.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    No problem. sorry about all the typos. Crazy how many good bikes are out there today. So hard to choose!

Did you read the post about it being a virtual measurement? Measuring the
    ETT doesn't tell you much, and will not correlate to the published Devinci #'s. You could measure your current bike and try to compare it to the Troy, and get some usefull information, but you would have to be creative in finding a repeatable accurate way of measuring, and then sharing it for others to compare with would require that they copy your method exactly..... Not easy.
    True, but for some reason people use that as an indication for sizing and one of the main reasons BIKE slammed the Troy and sadly tainted their overall impression of the bike. 2014 Bible of Bike Tests: Devinci Troy Carbon SL - Bike Magazine - YouTube
    I agree totally that ETT is only a part of the picture, whereas reach and WB is more critical, esepecially when rallying down the hill. For seated climbing ETT can be a useful measurement. The standard is to measure from true center of top of head tube to center of seatpost (when extended) on level horizontal plane. Problem is like you state that everyone (bike co'.s) measure this different to varying degrees.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nice review! I will probably post up a video after this weekend of the Troy on the trails.

Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Minor point but have any of you had a problem with the rear brake cable routing? Looks a little funky the way it comes up right in the middle of the rear triangle. Could probably be easily zip-tied to seat stay I suppose.

And those of you on the XP build for a little while now hows everything holding up? What have you swapped out?

mtbr member
    No problems with the brake cable routing. I too wondered when I first got it though.

I have done one retensioning of spokes once they stretched a bit. Other than that, they have been fine. I do plan on upgrading the wheels and brakes at some point though.

Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Minor point but have any of you had a problem with the rear brake cable routing? Looks a little funky the way it comes up right in the middle of the rear triangle. Could probably be easily zip-tied to seat stay I suppose.

And those of you on the XP build for a little while now hows everything holding up? What have you swapped out?
    I believe there is a spot for a zip tie for the rear brake cable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It looks a little funny but works well. No cable rubbing issues this way on the chainstays. However the rear cable on the Carbon Frames rests on the top of the swing arm @ the main pivot. A little protection from cable rub here is a good idea

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast