Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 1,501 to 1,576 of 1576
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VQuick View Post
    Thanks! I'm sure that is airline- and agent-dependent. I'm flying Frontier which has relatively low fees for bikes ($75). Did you have insurance for the bike? A bag like Evoc is practically advertising its expensive contents and I do worry about theft or loss as much as damage.
    Nothing specific to the bike outside of homeowners. Once you are at your destination, fold the Evoc up and keep an eye your bike as per usual.

I kept the bike in most hotel/hostel rooms we stayed in unless there was locked bike storage that looked really secure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone running a standard SLX drivetrain? I'm curious how the 24/38 crank with 11-36 cassette will do on the shorter steeps in New England.

mtbr member
    Looks like Devinci is updating our Troy model. Wonder what all they are changing geo wise? HERE

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    Anyone running a standard SLX drivetrain? I'm curious how the 24/38 crank with 11-36 cassette will do on the shorter steeps in New England.
    I've found it works well. I've since gone to a 1x10 with a 30t front and the praxis 40t cassette and it's still not near as low as the 2x transmission. So for short steep climbs, I'd stick with the 2x.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brownc9 View Post
    I've found it works well. I've since gone to a 1x10 with a 30t front and the praxis 40t cassette and it's still not near as low as the 2x transmission. So for short steep climbs, I'd stick with the 2x.
    Thanks!

now the debate is to see what the 2016 looks like, or to try and get a deal on outgoing 2015

mtbr member
    Thanks!

now the debate is to see what the 2016 looks like, or to try and get a deal on outgoing 2015
    From the prototype picture I saw on pink bike, it looks like it will be getting a longer top tube, beefier tubes overall, and carbon rockers. I like the look of the current model better but the longer top tube shorter stem could be a draw for some.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Pinkbike has an article on the new Troy now.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Pinkbike has an article on the new Troy now.

-Brett
    Looks pretty much like everything everyone griped about has been addressed. Purely based off aesthetics, I like my black and red from the original run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Looks pretty much like everything everyone griped about has been addressed. Purely based off aesthetics, I like my black and red from the original run.
    I agree with you. I still love mine just as it is!

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Stevie Smith wins again aboard the new Troy at the Fox Air DH race!

Edit: realized the announcers did not know what they were talking about, that was the spartan.

-Brett
    Last edited by Carraig042; 08-12-2015 at 07:19 PM.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
    Finally got around to converting rims to tubeless. I actually found the Jalco XCD21 rims very easy to convert. Two wraps of gorilla tape and some Uncle Dick's Beadslip around the bead of the Nobby Nics and the tires popped right onto the rim with a quick blast of compressed air. I actually had no noticable air leakage before putting the Stan's sealant in the tire. The bike comes with downhill tubes. 220g each. For those who are unsure of converting to tubeless with these rims, I would not hesitate.
    Hey Toryfan, can you tell me what valve stems you used. One of my LBS sold me the 35mm universal Stans presto valves, the other LBS said there is no way to know which valves to use unless I bring my rim in as they have 8 different valve sizes for tubeless. I don't want to open the 35mm Stans until I am sure they will work since they will not take them back.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just used the standard 35mm Stans presta valve. Had no troubles. I have since changed the wheelset to Ibis 741 carbon. These wheels are a game changer. I am running a magic mary on the front and a hans dampf on the back. The traction is endless. This wheelset came taped and with stem and sealed up really well too.

mtbr member
    How will the Troy perform for technical singletrack riding? Switchbacks, roots, small rock gardens??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillClinton View Post
    How will the Troy perform for technical singletrack riding? Switchbacks, roots, small rock gardens??
    It's terrible. Don't buy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BillClinton View Post
    Mr. Clinton,
    The Troy is great in switchbacks, feels stable at basically any speed and the short rear end means you aren't dragging anything behind you. For roots... Comparing to my 29er, the Troy doesn't outright blaze its front wheel through open rocky/rooty sections -BUT- since it is much easier to lift and maneuver the front end of the Troy I would say the bikes are about even. I found the Troy encourages you to be a more active rider (have more input rather than just charge though everything), and very much rewards you when you do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    It's terrible. Don't buy it.
    Really?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What a great looking bike. Clean and nice.

mtbr member
    Mr. Clinton,
    The Troy is great in switchbacks, feels stable at basically any speed and the short rear end means you aren't dragging anything behind you. For roots... Comparing to my 29er, the Troy doesn't outright blaze its front wheel through open rocky/rooty sections -BUT- since it is much easier to lift and maneuver the front end of the Troy I would say the bikes are about even. I found the Troy encourages you to be a more active rider (have more input rather than just charge though everything), and very much rewards you when you do.
    Thank you, I'm looking at a 2014 Devinci RC or 2014 Bronson C

mtbr member
    I love mine to this day. It does real good in tight areas with it being short. Thier pricepoint is really nice as well.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scarp View Post
    Anyone else running a Corset air sleeve on their Troy?

Also.. Seems my pivot bearings are already getting crunchy after about 800 miles on the bike. Expected them to last longer…
    I have noticed that my bearing are also getting crunchy, but I live in California and the ground is just so loose the dust just cakes up around the pivots. They creek super bad after a month and I have to take the whole pivot apart and clean everything. I also have noticed that the pivots are loosening up after a while and I have to retighten them often. The bearings are 6903 Enduro bearings if you were planning on ordering some.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd imagine we have about the same dirt composition here in NM. I've gotten pretty proficient in tearing apart all the pivots cleaning/lubing/reassembling them. I have had no problem with any pivots loosening but I always make sure to put some loctite on them. I'll probably replace all the bearings this winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    New Troy on site
    DEVINCI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    New Troy on site
    DEVINCI
    Hard to tell, is the rocker carbon now?

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Wow, the alloy frame is a lot heavier than the 2014 version 6.51lbs vs 8.2 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    Wow, the alloy frame is a lot heavier than the 2014 version 6.51lbs vs 8.2 lbs.
    Yikes. There are a lot more capable similarly priced frames that weigh less than that alloy. If I were paying that kind of weight penalty, I'd opt for a Balance, Megatrail, or Rune. Depends on where you ride I suppose. It would make sense where I am.

mtbr member
    The price went down on the carbon frame from$2499 to $2099, you never see that.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    $2400 CDN for the carbon.

Looks like it may be cheaper for people in the States to buy one from up in Canada!

My other choices are the 5010 and Bronson at $3000 USD a pop :/

mtbr member
    May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    The price went down on the carbon frame from$2499 to $2099, you never see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    $2400 CDN for the carbon.

Looks like it may be cheaper for people in the States to buy one from up in Canada!

My other choices are the 5010 and Bronson at $3000 USD a pop :/

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just joined the ranks with a closeout Carbon Troy from Velorangutan here in Austin. Great shop and loving the bike so far! Look forward to reading through this thread and adding to the stokage.

Anyone else run really high pressure in the Monarch? I'm at 250 psi and still seeing a bit too much sag (~25% indicated so ~32% true sag according to page 40 here). ~180lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    Just joined the ranks with a closeout Carbon Troy from Velorangutan here in Austin. Great shop and loving the bike so far! Look forward to reading through this thread and adding to the stokage.

Anyone else run really high pressure in the Monarch? I'm at 250 psi and still seeing a bit too much sag (~25% indicated so ~32% true sag according to page 40 here). ~180lbs
    My 2015 troy has the proper sag marks on it....if it is a factory installed, it should have the correct markings.

I have to run pretty high pressure to get proper sag because it is a debonair can.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    My 2015 troy has the proper sag marks on it....if it is a factory installed, it should have the correct markings.

I have to run pretty high pressure to get proper sag because it is a debonair can.
    Thanks! Let the air out and took the measurement this morning and as you said, markings are correct for the internal limit.

I guess the increased pressure limit of 350psi is a clue as to the pressure requirements.

mtbr member
    Can several of you verify the tuning on the monarch rt3 debonair shock? Does everyone have a L/M (Lo compression Med rebound) or did anyone get a M/M tune on their bike? Anybody try a M/M and what's their impression vs. lo tune? thanks. ~j

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Can several of you verify the tuning on the monarch rt3 debonair shock? Does everyone have a L/M (Lo compression Med rebound) or did anyone get a M/M tune on their bike? Anybody try a M/M and what's their impression vs. lo tune? thanks. ~j
    Mine says "M | L (open lock symbol) | S | 320 (lock symbol)" and the M is red. Haven't looked up the meaning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have the same trouble...I'm 170 lbs with my gear and need to run my monarch at 250 psi to get a proper sag. However, the bike feels harsh and stiff. What should I do ? If I decrease the air in the shock, it will bottom out too easily. The shock has three bottomless bands installed. since the monarch is factory installed, can I assume that the sag markings are right ?

mtbr member

Rear monarch tune

Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    Mine says "M | L (open lock symbol) | S | 320 (lock symbol)" and the M is red. Haven't looked up the meaning.
    Thanks for looking. The red is rebound, med and the low is compression. I had a rt and upgraded to a debonair rt3. Does anyone need a med/med tune? i have a brand new m/m rt3 debonair I don't think I'll install. I'm 125 so had opposite problem and needed more plush. And I run slightly less air also or else it feels too harsh, but the debonair can helps.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone have experience with replacing the stock formula hubs with hope pro 2s? Im upgrading the rims to carbon fiber ones and was wondering if it was worth shelling out a little extra cash for some new hubs. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxtweekxxxx View Post
    Anyone have experience with replacing the stock formula hubs with hope pro 2s? Im upgrading the rims to carbon fiber ones and was wondering if it was worth shelling out a little extra cash for some new hubs. Thanks.
    I'd say definitely. Read up on the Bitex hubs from Bike Hub Store. I built up a rear end for another bike with the MTB270. Light, serviceable and 54pt engagement. Rides great...can't wait to do it on the Troy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxtweekxxxx View Post
    I really like my hope pro 2 on the rear. It's not quiet, if you're going for that. One reason I went with it is the easy rebuild if/when I do it, because of the sealed cartridge bearings. After I had an XT hub blow up and tiny bearings all over my shop, I decided to go with something more clean to repair.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey,

just an idea...would it be possible to put a shock with 2.25" in it? Would it make any sense?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Yes... Haven't read any ride reports.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Thanks. It seems as if some riders have a 2.25 stroke shock in the troy.
    Maybe some of these rider shares his or her experience with that.
    If i buy the marzocchi 053, i want to buy the right one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Hey, thank you.

It seems that not a few riders have a shock with 2.25" stroke mounted in their troy.
    Maybe some of them want to share their experience with us.

I have some burgtec offset bushings. Maybe with these i can ride the 2.25" shock in the slacker position without touching the seatstay.

Having 156mm rear travel would be nice. I'm going to use a 160mm 350 as a fork, so that it would fit.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matzen View Post
    Hey, thank you.

It seems that not a few riders have a shock with 2.25" stroke mounted in their troy.
    Maybe some of them want to share their experience with us.

I have some burgtec offset bushings. Maybe with these i can ride the 2.25" shock in the slacker position without touching the seatstay.

Having 156mm rear travel would be nice. I'm going to use a 160mm 350 as a fork, so that it would fit.
    Out of curiosity, what's the motivation for going this route instead of jumping up to the Spartan?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I like the troy and got it for a good price
    And why not if its possible?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

My Troy, i love the agility of the bike. But it could have a longer toptube.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I like the troy and got it for a good price
    And why not if its possible?
    Fair enough

It does look sharp with that fork. Do you like the Frequencies on it? That's likely the rim I'll build up soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks. Yeah i have the i23 since July 2014 in use. With several hangups, boulderfields, drops,gaps. No problems yet.
    I totally recommend them.

But i have a really big vibration while braking with the rear brake. Its so strong it vibrates through the whole frame.
    I didn't had that problem with my GT Force.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hey tokarsky, any luck finding a video on this? I experienced the same frustrations just last night. I've been bottoming out on numerous rides and thought it would be great to take what I can get (6-7mm..). Thanks for any insight here! Ryley

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Another stock Jalco XCD 21 OS tubeless report:
    I converted my front wheel with success, so the back will happen this weekend. Had to lube the bead and use an air compressor but in doing so it aired right up. I used a single strip of Gorilla tape and a stem from a Forte 650b tube, which I discovered has a removable core. Had a little bit of burping at the joint initially but it appears that the Stan's has sealed it up.

Two rides over three days, 28 -> 25 psi.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeofryley View Post
    Hey tokarsky, any luck finding a video on this? I experienced the same frustrations just last night. I've been bottoming out on numerous rides and thought it would be great to take what I can get (6-7mm..). Thanks for any insight here! Ryley
    Are you referring to the geometry change? You'll have to loosen / remove all three pivot bolts on the upper link (top of shock). When you do you'll see the flip chip that needs to flip over.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Question for you all as I've been pondering the mixed wheel thing - have any of you entertained the idea of making the front end 29?

Looking at the Pike specs I see that the Axle-to-Crown for our stock setup is 542mm. The measurement for the 29" fork at 140mm travel is 551mm, and since some have happily gone to 160mm 27.5" up front (552mm A2C?) this is seeming like it may be a not-so-crazy idea. I guess the sag difference would still work out to a higher front end. Am I missing anything besides that or maybe tire / frame clearance issues?

Obviously an expensive mod and I won't be doing it any time soon, if ever, but got curious.

mtbr member
    I think it would screw with the handling of the bike, since it's designed around the 27.5 wheel. Seems like cornering would suffer

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    I think it would screw with the handling of the bike, since it's designed around the 27.5 wheel. Seems like cornering would suffer
    Yeah it rides so well as is. I'd play with it if I just happened to have a nice 140mm 29" Pike just lying around, but alas I do not

By the way, Wes has a new Troy that I think he plans to build up for demo. You gonna try it? He also said he'll likely order a Hendrix when he can get one

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone else have a problem with clicking/creaking headset on their troy? I've tightened it down multiple times, but it just returns during the first ride. Should I clean an regrease it or something?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Anyone else have a problem with clicking/creaking headset on their troy? I've tightened it down multiple times, but it just returns during the first ride. Should I clean an regrease it or something?
    I had to tighten mine a few times over the first month or two but it's been solid since. I figured it was the crown-race settling, or I just never actually got it tight enough. I tend to start with not very tight and slowly work tighter as needed. It did seem to need to be a bit tighter than other headsets I've used.

mtbr member
    Alright, this shouldn't be this difficult, but I'm having a hard time finding cable routing info for a 2015 Aluminum Devinci Troy XP with an internal or stealth dropper post. I see the exit hole under the bottom bracket, but where do I route the cable from there up to the handlebars?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    On my 2013 carbon Troy, I believe it's the lower hole on the drive side of the bike. I'll be installing a dropper soon. At least on the carbon, the holes seems to have an internal sleeve for cable routing, making it pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by falco-kona View Post
    Alright, this shouldn't be this difficult, but I'm having a hard time finding cable routing info for a 2015 Aluminum Devinci Troy XP with an internal or stealth dropper post. I see the exit hole under the bottom bracket, but where do I route the cable from there up to the handlebars?
    I have the same bike and ran mine right down the center of the down tube between rear shifter and brake cables. It worked great with the existing zip ties.

*just remembered - i dumped my front derailer though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey everybody! First a big thanks, as this thread virtually singlehandedly convinced me to get a 2015 Troy, rather than wait for a 2016. Coming from DH racing in the past, and mainly a Honzo for the past few years, I'm hoping this is going to be a fun, fast whip.

I have a couple questions that I hope you can help me out with: What's the largest rim/rubber combo that you've used on the Troy? Anyone use a Minion DHF 2.5 in the back?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Hey everybody! First a big thanks, as this thread virtually singlehandedly convinced me to get a 2015 Troy, rather than wait for a 2016. Coming from DH racing in the past, and mainly a Honzo for the past few years, I'm hoping this is going to be a fun, fast whip.

I have a couple questions that I hope you can help me out with: What's the largest rim/rubber combo that you've used on the Troy? Anyone use a Minion DHF 2.5 in the back?

Thanks again.
    Nice, congrats!

Here's a thread on the subject if you haven't seen it (your question is asked but not answered there): max tire size on Troy

Maybe you can be our guinea pig

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post

Thanks again.
    I use light bicycle 38mm rims and i have an ardent 2.4 and still have plenty of clearance.

-Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Did you install an offset shock bushing? could you install a new top bushing? great looking bike. I'm looking to upgrade mine

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Has anyone installed offset bushings for a 2015 Troy?

Calm Like a Bomb
    I have a set installed but don't have any ride time with them as it's winter here

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rswarts1 View Post
    I know there has been a lot of conversation about running a 200x57mm shock on the troys. I'm not trying to stir the pot with what has been accurate undisputed info so far but I just put a 200x57 DB air inline on my aluminum size large troy and its not making contact in the low position. This could be simply because mine is an aluminum and a large I'm not sure. I took all the air out of the shock and compressed it down as far as it possibly would go. Unless there's someway its going to compress more under riding conditions I think its good to go. Please check out the pics and let me know if theres something I'm missing here. Also if anyone cares to post up the specs they're running that'd be great. I'm about 190 geared up.

Attachment 976450Attachment 976451
    Did anyone try a 200*57 shox on a TROY Medium Carbon frame? I would like to change the 200*51 but be sure that there won't be issues with the seat tube in low position. Thx for the answers

mtbr member
    I ended up somehow cracking my frame at the chain stay pivot on the front triangle. Devinci did a great job and sent my local shop another frame within a few days. Very happy with the support! I will now be good for a while again!

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Had my Troy built up for a few months and finally been able to ride it, have to say it handles everything great. Running 2.35 Purgatory's front and 2.1 Ground Control rears. Would like to go to a little larger volume tire like the Maxxis Ardent but for the time being its been great to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Shock question... I've put a fox float x on my large alu Troy. It has the 0.9 tune air volume spacer and I run it around 210psi.

has anyone tried a different tune on this shock? I'm thinking of putting in a smaller spacer to increase air volume / make it more linear.

For info im running a pike with 1 token up front.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just love this bike, currently waiting on parts to switch to 1x11 vs 1x10 with the use of the GC adapter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Still loving mine too, has had a few upgrades in the last month or two, xt 1x11, X9 chainset, nobl carbon wheels, and back on Minion DHF, DHR2, parking lot shot...

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-troy.jpg
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member

Still loving mine, too. Think the only thing stock on it at this point though is the frame, saddle, bottom bracket, and upper headset. Upgraditis has had its way with me:

Easton Havoc carbon bars
    ESI Chunky grips
    Magura MT7 brakes
    XX1 cranks
    SRAM chainring
    Sunrace 11-42 cassette
    GX mech
    Spank oozy 295 wheels
    Spank Oozy pedals
    Butcher front purgatory rear
    KS LEV Integra

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IPunchCholla; 07-07-2016 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought last summer a troy xp 2015 and it came with a pike rc dual position (130-150mm travel adjust). Is it possible to increase the travel to 160 on this particular fork ? I guess most guys with 160mm pikes in this thread just swapped their orinigal fork with 160's ?

mtbr member
    Not sure on the dual position, but on the solo air you can just swap out the air piston to the 160. $40 or so upgrade.

-Brett
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    I finally received my Fox Float X2 with the climb switch. 2 rides in so far, and just a little bit more tuning to go. So far it feels great with the rear wheel tracking nicely.

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/13848999/

-Brett

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey all, still loving my Troy. I have a couple of things you may disagree with, but hear me out:

I recently swapped the stock Race Face 50 mm stem for a lighter RF Evolve 70 mm stem. With the short top tube I like the longer stem better, and the bike looks more balanced to me. I haven't noticed much difference in terms of steering precision, and I think it'll help me get down and forward more to corner and climb better.

My question is about chainring compatibility. I think 1x systems are a great innovation, but I have no interest in going 1x on this bike. I like having two chainrings for the gear range (and gear spacing, which 1x can never match) and for quick dumps to the little ring on climbs. 2x is also not that much heavier and the drivetrain weight is more evenly distributed front/rear (1x systems are inherently rear-heavy). I'm actually wishing my Troy had more range than the stock 34/22 x 11/36 can provide. I do a lot of mountain biking here in Oregon but I also take this bike on some rides that involve a lot of gravel roads as well as singletrack, and I hate spinning out in the dinky 34x11 high gear. I'm thinking of swapping the crankset to a 39/26 or even 42/28 and the cassette to an 11-40 or 11-42. My question is, has anyone tried chainrings this big on the Troy? I don't want to run into clearance issues with the chainstay or front derailleur issues (the mount on the bike doesn't look like it allows the FD to go much higher than it is with the 34T ring now). Thanks for any thoughts.

mtbr member

2.8 Slaughter GRID front, 2.6 Slaughter GRID back

Bought a used 2016 TROY CARBON XP. It came with good Minion DHF and DHR tires (and ZEE brakes ) but I like the idea of a 2.8 up front for some of the terrain around here. I mounted the tires on the stock rims, Jalco XCD21 OS. Off course these rims are narrow for these widths but they work. The GRID should give it the need stability, at least for my cornering ability. The 2.8 needs a wider rim for the profile of the tire to be right. As is it is to round with the knobs way off down the side of the tire. With a wider rim, 30 or so, I think the tire will have the right square profile for the knobs to grab and hold as needed.
    The extra weight on the front wheel makes it feel like a 29 though. Weight difference between the Minion and the Slaughter GRID is "only" about 160g so I was surprised at the difference in feel. Going tubeless in the future will help and the extra rubber should be nice on the hard, rocky stuff.
    Clearance is 1/2 on top and 3/8 on sides. I did this as an experiment and am happy with the way the tires fit.
    I found it interesting that the front tire is still 1/8" lower than the back. I used a laser line level. In any case it must be slacker then what it was before, now with the taller tire.
    With all the cheap deals out there I am upgrading components to XT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Devinci Troy quick review-wp_20170922_15_47_01_pro.jpg  

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-wp_20170922_16_26_20_pro.jpg  

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-wp_20170922_16_27_44_pro.jpg  

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516