nothing relevant to say

2011 Soma B-Side Debut!

New Soma Bside is NOW AVAILABLE!

Tange Prestige Tubing
    Sliding dropouts
    Refinded Geometry!

WWW.650BPalace.COM for more INFO!

bonked
    The geometry chart posted looks really f'ed up. A large is now 21.5" c-c with a 23.23" top tube? And a XL is 22.5" c-c with a 24" top tube? And standover is based on a Pari Moto? Is that the correct sizing chart or is that for a Randonneur of some sort?

I was kind of hoping the geo would be more similar to the new Analog, but if what is on your site is correct they missed the mark for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

nothing relevant to say
    SORRY I posted the incorrect GEOMETRY Chart. The proper chart has been uploaded.

mtbr member
    MSRP?
    Who has them? Does Soma sell direct?

that new color is nice...

The only thing I question is that that head angle is a bit steep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. Smart upgrades to the original B-side.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I loved the original paint. This one is okay.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

nothing relevant to say
    @steelbike, i agree.
    @reformed, have your LBS call the Merry Sales Group.

bonked
    OK, I feel better now. Waiting for the XL. Anybody wanna by a Soul Hooligan frame?
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

bikeboatbrewski
    Definite improvement there but I am so past HT its not funny. Getting old.

What would Tesco do?
    Dig the new dropouts, like the old color better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thumbs way up on the dropouts and new geometry. plus the new color is boss.

cheers to Soma for making this beast

mtbr member

Fresh build of our new B-Side

More views on our Flickr stream
    Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

bikeboatbrewski
    looking good

Not dead yet, just playin
    Any word on when/if the 14.5" frames will be made? Us little guys need love too ya know

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Mine is due on the big brown truck this Weds.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by somacisco

More views on our Flickr stream
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Great looking rig, is the new finish wet paint or powder? I liked the orignal color scheme better but this is nice also and will ride better with the tweaked geo.

mtbr member
    ohpossum: The 14.5 won't be here for 4 months. We wanted to clean out the 13.5 orange ones before ordering more. 13.5" makes people think its for munchkins, though it isn't, so it has been hard to move.

el rancho: This particular color comes in wet paint.

Uncle
    Someone needs to ask it:

Weight on these? -- 19" if you want to get specific.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anybody take the plunge yet? I'd like to hear some ride impressions if anyone has some experience with the latest take...

bikeboatbrewski
    That frame would make a good home for my Stan's 355/Hope pro II/DT wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmullins437 View Post
    Anybody take the plunge yet? I'd like to hear some ride impressions if anyone has some experience with the latest take...
    I got mine a week ago and have ridden it 3 times. It weighs in at about 27 lbs with x9 2x10, Stans ZTR Flow rims, 2.3 Nevegals, and X-Fusion velvet fork. I don't love the sliding dropouts. I guess they would be cool if you want to go single speed, but I have to keep tightening the bolts to keep the rear wheel from slipping. I do like the way it rides. I won't say that I don't sometimes miss my rear suspension, but most of the time it feels great.

mtbr member
    That is a nice looking 650b hardtail!

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I don't love the sliding dropouts, but I have to keep tightening the bolts to keep the rear wheel from slipping. I do like the way it rides. I won't say that I don't sometimes miss my rear suspension, but most of the time it feels great.

You may want to double nut that adjusting bolt. Maybe the whole sliding drop out is not beefy enough?

Sometimes a HT is the way to go. Any more I have to have something for my aging rear.

Uncle

Made contact yet?

I guess they would be cool if you want to go single speed, but I have to keep tightening the bolts to keep the rear wheel from slipping.
    Have you contacted Soma about this? I think they'd be very responsive in providing any suggestions / solutions for this. Have never heard otherwise about their CS.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member
    For anyone else that has this bike, what size seatpost collar clamp did you use? I put a 28.6 on and had to really stretch it to get it to fit. The web site says the front der. clamp is a 28.6, so I thought the collar would be the same. Also, I learned that SRAM does not make an x9 front der. in 28.6. I had to use a shim.

Uncle
    For anyone else that has this bike, what size seatpost collar clamp did you use? I put a 28.6 on and had to really stretch it to get it to fit. The web site says the front der. clamp is a 28.6, so I thought the collar would be the same. Also, I learned that SRAM does not make an x9 front der. in 28.6. I had to use a shim.
    Both of my non-Soma steel frames use a 28.6 derailleur, but require a 30.0 seat clamp FWTW. I'd guess that's probably what you have too. Defies logic I know.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Seeing as how it would cost them next to nothing to include the clamp with the frame, it would be nice if they threw it in, or at least put correct information on their web site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I guess they would be cool if you want to go single speed, but I have to keep tightening the bolts to keep the rear wheel from slipping. I do like the way it rides. I won't say that I don't sometimes miss my rear suspension, but most of the time it feels great.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    What is the biggest 700c tire you can run in the rear?

What axle-to-crown length would I need to run a rigid fork. 445mm I hope.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    any 700c fits.445-470

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sadman View Post
    any 700c fits.445-470
    Any 700c fits?

How about 29x2.1 Nanos when the sliders are pushed all the way back?

mtbr member
    I have been riding my Soma for a month now and wanted to post an update. I had read a ton of threads about people ditching their 26" dualies for 29" hard tails. I was hoping that the combination of bigger tires and a steel frame would make me forget that I was on a hard tail. WRONG!

The Soma is a great bike for smooth trails, but, when it gets bumpy, it beats the crap out of you just like any other hard tail. I haven't ridden my SC Superlight since I got the Soma, but I think I will be going back to it as my main bike soon and saving this one for when I got to places like Tsali or FATS, where the trails are smooth as a baby's butt. I took it to Pisgah last weekend and rode down Black Mountain, which is a pretty gnarly technical descent. That was a mistake. Or maby I am just getting too old.

Anyway, I like the bike but after 10 years of dual suspension, I guess my butt is a little spoiled.

mtbr member
    I have been riding my Soma for a month now and wanted to post an update. I had read a ton of threads about people ditching their 26" dualies for 29" hard tails. I was hoping that the combination of bigger tires and a steel frame would make me forget that I was on a hard tail. WRONG!

The Soma is a great bike for smooth trails, but, when it gets bumpy, it beats the crap out of you just like any other hard tail. I haven't ridden my SC Superlight since I got the Soma, but I think I will be going back to it as my main bike soon and saving this one for when I got to places like Tsali or FATS, where the trails are smooth as a baby's butt. I took it to Pisgah last weekend and rode down Black Mountain, which is a pretty gnarly technical descent. That was a mistake. Or maby I am just getting too old.

Anyway, I like the bike but after 10 years of dual suspension, I guess my butt is a little spoiled.
    Do some digging - you may be able to slightly modify your shock and use the 650b wheels on your Superlight and get the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by somacisco View Post
    ohpossum: The 14.5 won't be here for 4 months. We wanted to clean out the 13.5 orange ones before ordering more. 13.5" makes people think its for munchkins, though it isn't, so it has been hard to move.

el rancho: This particular color comes in wet paint.
    What's the latest on this small size B-Side? Four months is up! I'm looking to build a small size bike up for my wife, a very occasional rider, and for some other friends who are shorter in stature and want to give riding a try. I have everything I need to build up a nice 650b ride, just need a frame to hang parts onto. This thing would be ideal. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    What's the latest on this small size B-Side? Four months is up! I'm looking to build a small size bike up for my wife, a very occasional rider, and for some other friends who are shorter in stature and want to give riding a try. I have everything I need to build up a nice 650b ride, just need a frame to hang parts onto. This thing would be ideal. Thanks.
    Why not go with the v1 frame? For the price, it can't be beat unless you absolutely must have sliders.

SALE! Soma B-Side 650B Frame (2010)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmm, definitely a possibility, thanks for the link. But I can't seem to find a place on the Soma website showing the geometry. How similar is it to the new 2011 14.5"...that evidently doesn't actually exist...other than obviously the inch difference in seat tube? Top tube and HA in particular? The wife is 5'6"...that frame a good match? Also, any issues with those style dropouts? I'm not thrilled with them, but it's not a deal breaker. This will be set-up geared, with not terribly strong riders torquing on it. Thanks.

With the B-side frames, I think inseam is a more important measurement than height. I'm weird at 5'4" with a ~30" inseam. The TT length on the 13.5 frame is perfect for me, but I've got a ton of seatpost showing because of the massively sloping top tube. That being said, I like the great standover and I feel the low BB and low TT keep the weight of the bike low so it really rails through turns. Also, that much carbon post flexing gives a little cush to the bumps.

If your wife's inseam is 30 or less, I think she'd fit fine on the 13.5 if the TT length is good for her. If it's more than 30, the next size up might be better.

I've got mine set up single speed with DMR tensioners and have never had a problem with the dropouts. I use an old axle-rod bolt-on QR.

The only thing I don't like about the frame is the tiny sizes have just one bottle cage mount. I had to rig up a seatpost mounted cage for endurance races.

Mine:

The v2 B-side geometry is this:

The v1 B-side geometry is this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Soma B-Side Debut!-picture-1.png  

Last edited by ohpossum; 10-18-2011 at 03:37 PM.

mtbr member

I'm with you--been riding full suspension since 1996 (Proflex 756!) and I can't rock a hardtail on anything but a smooth, fast trail. That's why my 650b Curtlo softail is such a great bike for me--one inch of pivotless travel is just enough to give me most of that efficient hardtail feel but with a bit of built in compliance for my old, FS-spoiled bones...

dwt
    mtbr member
    My take is a little different. I had
    2 26'ers in my quiver the start of this season: dual suspension and 1 x 9 hardtail. I agree that the hardtail is harsh, but the trade off is light and (excuse me Walt) flickable. I rode the bikes about 50/50 depending on terrain and who I was riding with. Solo, usually the hardtail.

After (finally!) demoing a 29'er in July, I saw the big hoop light. It was cheaper and easier to convert the hardtail to 650b than buy a whole new bike. Once I started riding that size, I just didn't like 26 anymore, full sus or not. Rollover trumps comfort.

That bike sat in my basement gathering dust till I sold it on eBay to make way for a 650b dualie. Which I will ride 50/50 with the hardtail.
    Last edited by dwt; 10-19-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. We don't have time visit here as much as we want. Just wanted to let those who were waiting, we finally have a FULL SIZE RUN of B-Sides v.2 IN STOCK. Better late than never i guess. We had as they say "supply issues".
    (We still have a few v.1 left too...for those short on funds)

The reason many steel frames that fit 28.6mm frt. ders need 29.8 or 30.0mm seat collars is because they externally butt the tube at the top to better brace the seatpost. They externally butt because if you internally butt, the ID will be too small to fit the common 27.2mm seatpost.

Regarding bigger tires for more natural cushiness over 26": I agree 650b does not make as much a difference, but 29ers I can feel it sometimes.

Didja read about the Fox and RS doing 650b forks for 2013(oem) over on Bicycling.com?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice frame with a good choice of components
    One speed, My speed...une fois
    www.singlespeed-belgique.be

Kicker of Elves
    I'm seriously considering a V.2, but something is curious to me.

I read previously that Soma addressed the short seat tube but how can the stand over stay the same between the old 17" and the new 18.5" if the center to top is 1.5" higher on the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum View Post

The v2 B-side geometry is this:

The v1 B-side geometry is this:

Does anybody have an 18.5" they wouldn't mind posting a pic of? The short seat tube isn't an issue for me, I'm just curious what's up.

mtbr member
    I have been hounding my bike shop to get me a Soma B-side frame, but multiple emails from the shop to Soma have gone unanswered over the last week. Has anybody else had issues getting them to respond? Unless I'm blind (which is definitely possible), they don't have a phone number listed on their website either.

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I have been hounding my bike shop to get me a Soma B-side frame, but multiple emails from the shop to Soma have gone unanswered over the last week. Has anybody else had issues getting them to respond? Unless I'm blind (which is definitely possible), they don't have a phone number listed on their website either.
    Maybe ask the shop to contact Merry Sales. I believe they are the distributor.

mtbr member
    Looks like you caught a mistake on the website.
    Here are the actual standover hts. on the v.2.
    14.5": 28.8"
    16.5": 30"
    18.5": 31"
    20.5": 32.2"
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Soma Fabrications
    www.somafab.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My shop put in an order with merry sales and i had my frame in a week. Shouldn't be any issues going that route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by docbraunson View Post
    My shop put in an order with merry sales and i had my frame in a week. Shouldn't be any issues going that route.
    Thanks. My shop is looking into that option. They're not totally stoked about setting up a dealer account for one frame, but hopefully I can convince them.

A different question, I seem to fall between sizes of this frame. I typically would go with a 24.0 top tube length. Can anybody vouch for how these frames fit? I feel like the XL is a touch to big and the L is a touch too small.

mtbr member
    Thanks. My shop is looking into that option. They're not totally stoked about setting up a dealer account for one frame, but hopefully I can convince them.

A different question, I seem to fall between sizes of this frame. I typically would go with a 24.0 top tube length. Can anybody vouch for how these frames fit? I feel like the XL is a touch to big and the L is a touch too small.
    Do you position yourself over the bottom bracket pretty aggressively? I note in the geometry that the seat-tube is pretty cross country (steep) so you might have to shove your saddle back a bit to get behind the BB. That would increase reach to the bars, in essence, lengthening your TT a bit. But if you tend to position your saddle pretty far forward, you might want the longer TT/bigger frame.

Compare standover, too--that might be a guide.

mtbr member
    Did you ever get one? I'm having the exact dilemma at the moment. I really can't find anyone who has ridden a large or xl B side at all. I want to try the frame, but I'm on a limited budget and can't mess around with getting the wrong size. Soma's website says they don't really give sizing advice and the email response I got confirmed that. I want the seat tube of the large with the TT of the XL..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast