mtbr member
    Jun 2006

'18 SC Tallboy cc (27.5) or '17/'18 Yeti SB4.5/5+?

Raising an oft asked question again as I'm really stuck. Read similar posts in the Yeti forum and other places, but figured I'd post here in an unbiased setting as I'm certainly leaning towards 27.5+ (though know sb4.5 is only 29er).

Short story on me:

- Live in southern CT (about 5 miles away from where Richie Rude grew up) - so 100% will be riding east coast rooty, rocky single track.

- Am 5'9", 210lbs - built like a fullback and like to ride aggressive but am done with big drops and crazy stuff. Just want the quiver killer for 2-3 hour fun/fitness local rides on single track.

- Spent last 2 months reading, researching, asking local guys and came to the decision to order '18 SC tallboy3 (black) with XX1 and all the bells. Great warranty, heard great stories, and like the fact I can go 29 and/or 27.5+.

- Ordered TB3 and it ships tomorrow so today is the last day I can change my mind.

- Still loving the Yeti options though, unfort, I've never ridden one. Also closest Yeti dealer is about an hour away from me.

For my purposes, I think TB3 is the way to go. Am I wrong?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Free bearings for life! lifetime warranty on frame and wheels if you get the carbon wheels.
    Both are great bikes, but I think the tallboy is the right decision.

Formerly of Kent
    Just so you're aware:

There is no "27.5" Tallboy.

There's a 27.5+ Tallboy and a 29er Tallboy. The wheel diameter difference is small enough to be a wash.

A 27.5 wheel and non-plus tire would be a mistake, though.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Free bearings for life! lifetime warranty on frame and wheels if you get the carbon wheels.
    Both are great bikes, but I think the tallboy is the right decision.
    Cool, thx.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Just so you're aware:

There is no "27.5" Tallboy.

There's a 27.5+ Tallboy and a 29er Tallboy. The wheel diameter difference is small enough to be a wash.

A 27.5 wheel and non-plus tire would be a mistake, though.
    Yes, i meant to say 27.5+. Edited my original post. Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You should have demoed them to see which you prefer. I really like the Yeti sb4.5 but I've heard about a fair number of issues that dissuaded me from the bike. You've committed to the TB3 so might as well stick with it. There's always going to be other bikes so you'll always wonder if they are better. I wouldn't worry about it though and just ride what you have.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesaarra View Post
    Raising an oft asked question again as I'm really stuck. Read similar posts in the Yeti forum and other places, but figured I'd post here in an unbiased setting as I'm certainly leaning towards 27.5+ (though know sb4.5 is only 29er).

Short story on me:

- Live in southern CT (about 5 miles away from where Richie Rude grew up) - so 100% will be riding east coast rooty, rocky single track.

- Am 5'9", 210lbs - built like a fullback and like to ride aggressive but am done with big drops and crazy stuff. Just want the quiver killer for 2-3 hour fun/fitness local rides on single track.

- Spent last 2 months reading, researching, asking local guys and came to the decision to order '18 SC tallboy3 (black) with XX1 and all the bells. Great warranty, heard great stories, and like the fact I can go 29 and/or 27.5+.

- Ordered TB3 and it ships tomorrow so today is the last day I can change my mind.

- Still loving the Yeti options though, unfort, I've never ridden one. Also closest Yeti dealer is about an hour away from me.

For my purposes, I think TB3 is the way to go. Am I wrong?
    @jamesaarra
    Just curious if the bike arrived and how you like it? Did you get it locally or online?
    Almost bought a 27.5+ Tallboy also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I absolutely love it. Honestly can say it's about 20x better than I anticipated. Zero regrets and for my riding, I love the 27.5+.

I bought it in Norwalk CT at a place called Smart Cycles. Alex is the owner, great guy and he really took care of me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesaarra View Post
    I absolutely love it. Honestly can say it's about 20x better than I anticipated. Zero regrets and for my riding, I love the 27.5+.

I bought it in Norwalk CT at a place called Smart Cycles. Alex is the owner, great guy and he really took care of me.
    Glad the bike is working out well! - I'm fascinated with the traction provided by the plus size tires. I have a new Chameleon frame in the box that I was going to build, but may sell it and get a Tallboy instead.
    I've been to Smart Cycles before (I live in CT also). Alex seemed like a real good guy to talk to.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Glad you like the new bike.
    The CC inline make the rear end come alive and I highly recommend the RWS needle bearing kit too.