mtbr member
    Feb 2017

15 diamondback sortie, or yt capra comp al

In the market for a new/used bike. (new to me) Ive been searching for a few months now and i found the yt capra comp al. Fell in love with the looks of the bike and the spec sheet. Seems like it is spec'd very nice for the price. I was browsing craigslist one day and someone is selling a 2015 Diamondback sortie 29er for $1200, theyll take 1000. Looks to be in great condition. 1x11 drivetrain. XL frame with is perfect for me. But, i cant seem to find any info on the sortie. Tons of info on the capra.

Would you spend the additional $1200 and get the capra and have a brand new bike and better specs, or would you buy a the sortie for a grand, and put a few hundred into it making it your own?

I ride trails currently, but want to start going to bike parks and try my hand at the downhill sections. This is why im leaning more towards the Capra.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The Capra might be a bit much bike for general trail riding, but would excel in bike parks. It's really built for going downhill fast.

The Sortie looks to be a better choice if you're mostly doing trail rides and can take on some park duty.

Here's a rewiew of the Sortie:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...sortie-3-29er/
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I still think the price of the Diamondback is high at $1000. I'm not sure which version you have but check out https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3057305. If those specs are right, and the specs are comparable between the 1-3 sortie, then that bike would have a hard time at resorts and for downhill riding. The Fox 32 would be pretty overwhelmed in chunky technical sections. Plus 29er geometry has changed quite dramatically within the past year or so.

While you may not be set on just Diamondback, you can find some pretty good deals on new ones if you look around, such as: Diamondback Mission 2.0 Bike 2017 | Jenson USA or https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...untain/atroz-3, although those aren't 29ers.

If you are buying used keep in mind that this is the off season in most areas and not a lot of people are buying bikes. I'm trying to sell my bike and I can't give it away. So you should be able to find a good deal on something better and not have to pay a premium. However, I'd say if you love the Capra then I'd spend the extra money and get something you really want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I do want the Capra. I was originally having a budget of 2-3k. And now that yt is having a sale. The Capra comp is low 2k which is a nice
    Price for the components it comes with. So. Iíll probably get that. Iím a heavier person so the extra travel on the Capra would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The YT Jeffsy is also on sale now for a great price and might be worth considering if you're not spending a lot of time on enduro terrain.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The YT Jeffsy is also on sale now for a great price and might be worth considering if you're not spending a lot of time on enduro terrain.
    I have seen that. Itís a little cheaper and still has decent components. If i went that route Iím not sure whether to get the 27.5 or the 29er

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk