Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50

    New question here. $400 Budget for a 27.5 Possible??

    So I gave my 2003 Rockhopper to my 14 year son and now need a new ride. I am 40 years. I don't plan on hurdling down a mountain at mach 5, but do plan on riding local single track every once in awhile. Most riding will be on paved and gravel I would guess. What options do I have in the $400 range?? If you saw my other thread I was heavily considering the Nashbar 27.5 for $325, but would like hear other options.

    It's crazy how expensive bikes have gotten. Some are more expensive then my first motorcycle a few years ago, a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero I paid $3500 for. Yikes!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    139
    I bought my 2017 Specialized Pitch for $419 from my LBS. A little searching and you’ll find something.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Specialized Pitch / 2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2009 Specialized Allez

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,189
    I like these more because they are disc brake which can be upgraded for $150 to slx. Where do you live and what size bike so you need? Your best bet is just going to let people find you bikes to test out. One of the last 26 bikes will be a big improvement and may slip in your budget.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    I like these more because they are disc brake which can be upgraded for $150 to slx. Where do you live and what size bike so you need? Your best bet is just going to let people find you bikes to test out. One of the last 26 bikes will be a big improvement and may slip in your budget.
    I am located in Southern Wisconsin. My old Rockerhopper is a 19" (L). I am looking at getting a 27.5 bike this time around.

  5. #5
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,395
    You may want to check out this similar thread:

    $500 first bike budget...Motobecane?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,189
    https://rockford.craigslist.org/bik/...626888846.html

    https://www.google.com/search?q=gian...obile&ie=UTF-8

    Thats a really nice bike for 400 and would likely cost about 1300 new. If your on the bigger side of your 19 it may be worth checking out.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    70
    The Jamis Trail X would fit your budget. Local shop in Oregon, Wi. carries them, Oregon Bike and Skate.

  8. #8
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
    It's crazy how expensive bikes have gotten. Some are more expensive then my first motorcycle a few years ago, a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero I paid $3500 for. Yikes!!
    Ah... back in 1992 I so wanted the top of the range Raleigh... but at over $6000 was never going to happen...but I still wanted it bad.
    All the gear and no idea.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,189
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16029568/ USED XT BRAKES-75
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping 27.5 HARDTAIL WITH SHIMANO DRIVE TRAIN(LOW END SHIMANO SHIFTS WELL)-$275.
    Manitou Markhor fork, 27.5 rigid fork, or ect. Less than $250.
    The $275 bike would basicly be a $250 fork and a $150 brake set away from being like a $1200 new bike.

    I'm not a huge fan of those rigid single speeds because you can't set them up geared if you ever wanted to. If they had a derailleur hanger it would be a whole nother story.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grubetown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    357
    Look for something used from a major manufacturer like the Fathom earlier in this thread. IMHO mail order bikes in the low price range aren’t worth the potential problems.
    If your current bike is 15 years old and you plan on keeping the new one for that long increasing your budget to even $1000 doesn’t seem like a bad investment.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1
    So I am in a similar boat (or bike) riding type just outside of Detroit, Michigan. Got this in my email today:

    GT Men's Ricochet Plus Sport 27.5+ Mountain Bike
    WAS: $749.99*
    NOW:$374.98

    PECIFICATIONS:
    Frame size: 17”, 19”
    Wheel size: 27.5”+
    Frame: All New 6061 T6 Aluminum Frame, w/ Triple Triangle™, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack tapered 1 1/8-1 1/2 Head Tube, 27.5 + Design
    Fork: Suntour XCM 100mm Travel, Preload Adjust, Tapered Alloy Steerer, Magnesium lowers, 32MM Stanchions
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Cranks: All-Terra Boost Z-501 36/22t
    Bottom Bracket: Cartridge Sealed
    Pedals: GT Slim Line Flat Pedal
    Front Derailleur: Micro-Shift FD-M642 D
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano, Altus, RD-M370-SGS
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio, SL-M4000
    Cog Set: Sunrace CS-M98, 11-36T, 9-Speed Cassette
    Chain: KMC X9
    Rims: All Terra DB-X40 Double Wall, 32H 27.5 +, disc specific 40mm wide
    Tires: WTB Trail Blazer 27.5X2.8, Comp, 27TPI
    Hub (F): All Terra Alloy Disc, W/ thru-axle QR, Boost 110
    Hub (R): All Terra Alloy Cassette Disc, W/ Quick Release, Boost QR141
    Spokes: 14G Stainless
    Nipples: Brass
    Brakes: Promax Mechanical Disc W/ 160mm Rotor
    Brake Levers: Promax Two Finger Linear Pull
    Handlebar: Riser Bar 710mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Stem: 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 7° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Grips: GT Statement
    Headset: Integrated seal bearing, 1-1/8” UPPER + 1-1/2” LOWER
    Saddle: GT MTB
    Seat Post: All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm
    Seat Clamp: All Terra Alloy QR


    Any reasons to run away from this bike?

    Thank you in advance.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50
    I am going to try and bump my budget to the $600 range. I have been scoping out the Specialized Pitch Sport for $600. To many damn choices.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,189
    Suntour offers a fork upgrade program for $200 that is a pretty nice budget fork. Shimano probaly has the best cheap shifters. If your willing to spend $600 I would get a closeout bike with shimano shifters and a suntour fork and then upgrade the fork through the shop and the program. This is a fork that would come on most $900-$1200 bikes. If your big enough to ride a large I would put a larger emphasis on finding a way to get that upgraded fork even if it is a 29er than actually riding a 27.5.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlaw797 View Post
    So I am in a similar boat (or bike) riding type just outside of Detroit, Michigan. Got this in my email today:

    GT Men's Ricochet Plus Sport 27.5+ Mountain Bike
    WAS: $749.99*
    NOW:$374.98

    PECIFICATIONS:
    Frame size: 17”, 19”
    Wheel size: 27.5”+
    Frame: All New 6061 T6 Aluminum Frame, w/ Triple Triangle™, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack tapered 1 1/8-1 1/2 Head Tube, 27.5 + Design
    Fork: Suntour XCM 100mm Travel, Preload Adjust, Tapered Alloy Steerer, Magnesium lowers, 32MM Stanchions
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Cranks: All-Terra Boost Z-501 36/22t
    Bottom Bracket: Cartridge Sealed
    Pedals: GT Slim Line Flat Pedal
    Front Derailleur: Micro-Shift FD-M642 D
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano, Altus, RD-M370-SGS
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio, SL-M4000
    Cog Set: Sunrace CS-M98, 11-36T, 9-Speed Cassette
    Chain: KMC X9
    Rims: All Terra DB-X40 Double Wall, 32H 27.5 +, disc specific 40mm wide
    Tires: WTB Trail Blazer 27.5X2.8, Comp, 27TPI
    Hub (F): All Terra Alloy Disc, W/ thru-axle QR, Boost 110
    Hub (R): All Terra Alloy Cassette Disc, W/ Quick Release, Boost QR141
    Spokes: 14G Stainless
    Nipples: Brass
    Brakes: Promax Mechanical Disc W/ 160mm Rotor
    Brake Levers: Promax Two Finger Linear Pull
    Handlebar: Riser Bar 710mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Stem: 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 7° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Grips: GT Statement
    Headset: Integrated seal bearing, 1-1/8” UPPER + 1-1/2” LOWER
    Saddle: GT MTB
    Seat Post: All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm
    Seat Clamp: All Terra Alloy QR


    Any reasons to run away from this bike?

    Thank you in advance.
    That looks pretty decent for riding on easier trails. And, all the sizes are modern standards that will let you upgrade whatever you break on the harder trails.

    I'd go with it if I were in the market for that type of bike.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50
    My budget keeps moving north it seems. Looking at pulling the trigger on a 2018 Pitch Comp for $700 in the black/gold color scheme. Somebody stop me......LOL!!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,069
    You're up to a Fuse with 20% off for a cash buy from a manager only. Better roll-over and better road/gravel rolling momentum. Better fork. It'll run 27.5+ or 2.6.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50
    Not a fan of the 29er size. I test road a Rockhopper and felt like I was peddling a clown bike. Really liked the 27.5. Felt snappy and maneuverable. 29er felt slow and lumbering.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    70
    I know a couple people with Pitches and they like them. I've been looking at 29 vs 27.5 also[ currently on 26] and I agree that the 27.5 feels more nimble like a 26 , although its only been parking lot test rides so far.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    139
    For $400 you can be riding for sure. Specialized, Trek, Giant, Fuji, etc. etc. are all going to have bikes in that price range. They will almost all have a 3x8 drivetrain with a Suntour fork. You will be able to find both 27.5 and 29'ers in this price point. Sit on some, buy it and ride.

    If you are willing the stretch your budget a little, you can have a bike that will be much more enjoyable. As a bare minimum upgrading the super low-end forks pay big dividends. Here is my build.

    Bike $420 (In my case Specialized Pitch Sport, but there are many bikes in this pricepoint)
    Fork $100 (Rockshox XC 30, by no means is it high end, but it's a lot nicer than the XCM. Using the Suntour upgrade program is also a great option)
    Chainring $35 (RaceFace, 32 tooth, NW, 104 BCD)
    RD $50 (Shimano SLX)
    Cassette $35 (11-40)
    Chain $20 (Shimano XT)
    Shifter $25 (Shimano Zee)

    I started off with very entry level spec'ed bike, with a little investment (that can also be done over time), it is a super legit trail bike. I suppose I could sell my take off stuff to and recoup some costs...

    This bike has become so much fun. It climbs like a billy goat and descends very nicely.

    0 Budget for a 27.5 Possible??-p5pb16036784.jpg
    2017 Specialized Pitch / 2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2009 Specialized Allez

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50
    Well I ended up with Trek Marlin 6. Was $540 from the Trek Store. I decided to try a again with the 29ers and honestly as I got further into the test ride the more I started to like it. Figured I could buy a second wheelset and put some road style tires on them (Just like I did with my 2003 Rockhopper). Should be able to upgrade a few components (fork) when the time comes.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,189
    The stock tires are super fast and great for the road. If you can put like $300 aside for a fork upgrade it will make a big difference. Outside of that just ride it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snyperx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    The stock tires are super fast and great for the road. If you can put like $300 aside for a fork upgrade it will make a big difference. Outside of that just ride it.
    I was already pricing forks. Looking at a Manitou (Markhor) and couple of RockShox (30 and Recon).

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david.p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    223
    The Markhor is a decent fork, much better than others in the price range. I recently built up a 27.5 MTB for my 12yo and stretched the budget to get one in.

  24. #24
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
    Not a fan of the 29er size. I test road a Rockhopper and felt like I was peddling a clown bike. Really liked the 27.5. Felt snappy and maneuverable. 29er felt slow and lumbering.
    One of the most maneuverable/nimble bikes I've ridden is a 29er ('18 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 at a demo event). While clearly that's out of your (and my) budget, the reason it's so nimble is the frame geometry. If quick handling is what you're after, it's not all about the wheel size.

  25. #25
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,246
    Just for perspective, a Shadow 750 has nearly NO development dollars at all. And it was Probably closer to $7000 new, not $3500. My ex's first big bike was a 2004 Aero 750.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    9
    Carrera Kraken. £450 out of Halfords. Amazing MTB. Yeah yeah theres a few cheap components and such here and there but let me assure you it looks easy worth £1000 or more in the flesh.. It also preforms great. I've got one and its the best bike Ive ever had. It totally stomps my old DiamondBack Mountain Racer that cost me £1200 at the time..

    I've smashed the Kraken over hardcore trails all summer and yet to have a single chain slip.

    go ahead and look. The specs are great. 120mm travel on the front forks make it feel like your landing on a cloud every time u land a jump. The Clarks Brakes could ofcourse be better spec but I've had no issues with mine at all, infact, they preform amazingly despite what some reviews may say about them online.. The frames look great and are made solid!!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
    I am going to try and bump my budget to the $600 range. I have been scoping out the Specialized Pitch Sport for $600. To many damn choices.
    Check out Giant bikes. For 27.5", Id say they probably have the most bang for the $.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  28. #28
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by SHXDOWRIDER420 View Post
    Carrera Kraken. £450 out of Halfords.
    I'm glad you're having fun, but it's priced for what it is. A decent entry level bike. Also, OP is from the USA, so no Halfords.

    OP, you might be able to pick up a deal with the 2019 stuff coming soon (and as eb1888 said, talk to a manager and not some sales dude if you want to negotiate a cash deal).

  29. #29
    tire to rim ratio tester
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlaw797 View Post
    So I am in a similar boat (or bike) riding type just outside of Detroit, Michigan. Got this in my email today:

    GT Men's Ricochet Plus Sport 27.5+ Mountain Bike
    WAS: $749.99*
    NOW:$374.98

    PECIFICATIONS:
    Frame size: 17”, 19”
    Wheel size: 27.5”+
    Frame: All New 6061 T6 Aluminum Frame, w/ Triple Triangle™, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack tapered 1 1/8-1 1/2 Head Tube, 27.5 + Design
    Fork: Suntour XCM 100mm Travel, Preload Adjust, Tapered Alloy Steerer, Magnesium lowers, 32MM Stanchions
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Cranks: All-Terra Boost Z-501 36/22t
    Bottom Bracket: Cartridge Sealed
    Pedals: GT Slim Line Flat Pedal
    Front Derailleur: Micro-Shift FD-M642 D
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano, Altus, RD-M370-SGS
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio, SL-M4000
    Cog Set: Sunrace CS-M98, 11-36T, 9-Speed Cassette
    Chain: KMC X9
    Rims: All Terra DB-X40 Double Wall, 32H 27.5 +, disc specific 40mm wide
    Tires: WTB Trail Blazer 27.5X2.8, Comp, 27TPI
    Hub (F): All Terra Alloy Disc, W/ thru-axle QR, Boost 110
    Hub (R): All Terra Alloy Cassette Disc, W/ Quick Release, Boost QR141
    Spokes: 14G Stainless
    Nipples: Brass
    Brakes: Promax Mechanical Disc W/ 160mm Rotor
    Brake Levers: Promax Two Finger Linear Pull
    Handlebar: Riser Bar 710mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Stem: 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 7° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Grips: GT Statement
    Headset: Integrated seal bearing, 1-1/8” UPPER + 1-1/2” LOWER
    Saddle: GT MTB
    Seat Post: All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm
    Seat Clamp: All Terra Alloy QR


    Any reasons to run away from this bike?

    Thank you in advance.

    No, it's OK, but put on hydraulic brakes, or spend around $100 more to find a bike with them. Upgrade to air fork later and you'll be fine.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

  30. #30
    tire to rim ratio tester
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Check out Giant bikes. For 27.5", Id say they probably have the most bang for the $.
    Actually the Diamondback Overdrive Sport I think is around $600 and has hydraulic brakes; the equivalent for Giant is the Talon 3 for usually $700. Either bike I'm sure would be fine.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

  31. #31
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Actually the Diamondback Overdrive Sport I think is around $600 and has hydraulic brakes; the equivalent for Giant is the Talon 3 for usually $700. Either bike I'm sure would be fine.
    Or not. 2018 Giant Talon 3 MSRP is $530. Do you ever get your facts right?

    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-3

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,262
    Diamondback overdrive 2 is $700 at REI, and the Giant Talon 2 is $765. both are comparable 2x9 with suntour XCM fork and hydro brakes. The DB overdrive 2 slightly wins out with shimano hydro brakes over the Giant's Tektro brakes. One of the cases where the extra $50 could be worth it for the bike shop support. The REI near me is pretty good, but I've heard of some REI's that aren't much better than wally world.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  33. #33
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Diamondback overdrive 2 is $700 at REI, and the Giant Talon 2 is $765. both are comparable 2x9 with suntour XCM fork and hydro brakes. The DB overdrive 2 slightly wins out with shimano hydro brakes over the Giant's Tektro brakes. One of the cases where the extra $50 could be worth it for the bike shop support. The REI near me is pretty good, but I've heard of some REI's that aren't much better than wally world.
    That sounds about right. I wanted to look this up earlier, but life interrupted mid-post...so we don't have an REI around here and I was curious how much they may charge for shipping if OP is in the same situation. Found something a bit strange on the website...

    Name:  REI oversize shipping.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  22.1 KB

Similar Threads

  1. 400$ budget and ordering tonight, sell me on a light!
    By Dirty Bastard in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM
  2. $400 budget- which upgrades?
    By tratch in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 120

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.