Results 1 to 68 of 68
  1. #1
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169

    $160 27.5" Carbon Rim?

    Anybody know anything about Yoeleo?

    27.5" MTB Rims - 27.5" Carbon MTB Mountain Bike Clincher Rims 25mm Single Rim

    I hate things that sound too good to be true
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,072
    HELLZ YEAH!
    But, I wish Light Bicycle has them too...so I can combine shipping for my wider 29er...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    17
    I hate things that sound too good to be true
    $160 for a single rim,not for a pair rims, this is make sense. I think.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    i have ordered a pair of these from Shanghai Hongying Trade Co.
    Ms. Sophia was able to answer every technical question i had about these. Hope they turn out ok.
    I have 2 pair of chinese road wheelsets that are top quality.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,425
    Carbon rims for MTB , I guess I am not seeing it......

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob_co2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    564
    Its nice to finally see some different spoke hole options from 32. But weight wise they are not lighter than Stans. I guess its all about the ride quality, but i wouldn't know anything about that..

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Stans makes some of the lightest aluminum rims and are very affordable. With that comes a strength penalty. Before arguing "ive been running crests for 28 years and havent had a problem" just think of this, Carbon has a much superior strength to weight ratio. these rims made up to the same weight will be much stronger than an aluminum of equal weight.

    i have never bent a Stans rim, although plenty people have, but i can definitely feel a difference in stiffness between those and my ENVE rims.

  10. #10
    Not dead yet, just playin
    Reputation: ohpossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    Stans makes some of the lightest aluminum rims and are very affordable. With that comes a strength penalty. Before arguing "ive been running crests for 28 years and havent had a problem" just think of this, Carbon has a much superior strength to weight ratio. these rims made up to the same weight will be much stronger than an aluminum of equal weight.

    i have never bent a Stans rim, although plenty people have, but i can definitely feel a difference in stiffness between those and my ENVE rims.
    I'm this -><- close to getting some of these. Let us know the measured ERD when you get them..
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

  11. #11
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    The Enves are quite but more expensive; but other than price I've heard nothing except good about them

    Are $160 carbon rims for real?

    As in "you get what you pay for"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum View Post
    I'm this -><- close to getting some of these. Let us know the measured ERD when you get them..
    The supplier told me ERD on these i ordered were 552mm

    You can get complete wheelsets, i just got rims because they didn't know what a lefty was :screwy:

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,072
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    Stans makes some of the lightest aluminum rims...I"ive been running crests for 28 years....
    Okay, I'm gonna call total BS on this statement! I'm pretty sure Stan's rims didn't come about until well after the guy invented the strips/goo sealing system. And, this site says 2001 for the strip/goo system. So unless my math has "expired," I believe 2001 to 2012 is and always has been eleven (11) years? So, are you from the future?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Okay, I'm gonna call total BS on this statement! I'm pretty sure Stan's rims didn't come about until well after the guy invented the strips/goo sealing system. And, this site says 2001 for the strip/goo system. So unless my math has "expired," I believe 2001 to 2012 is and always has been eleven (11) years? So, are you from the future?
    Haha, i made that up.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,072
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    Haha, i made that up.
    So, total BS it is

    Now, to the point... are you getting a set of these 650b carbons? Where, the ebay site or the yodoladoda-whatchamacallit? Were you quoted a delivery time frame? Thanks.

    Oops... nevermind... just saw your earlier post.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reformed roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Okay, I'm gonna call total BS on this statement! I'm pretty sure Stan's rims didn't come about until well after the guy invented the strips/goo sealing system. And, this site says 2001 for the strip/goo system. So unless my math has "expired," I believe 2001 to 2012 is and always has been eleven (11) years? So, are you from the future?
    Wow, did that go over your head...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Wow, did that go over your head...
    Apparently humor is completely lost on some.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So, total BS it is

    Now, to the point... are you getting a set of these 650b carbons? Where, the ebay site or the yodoladoda-whatchamacallit? Were you quoted a delivery time frame? Thanks.

    Oops... nevermind... just saw your earlier post.
    7-10 days to ship out.
    I am having mine shipped directly to my wheelbuilder .

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,072
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Apparently humor is completely lost on some.
    It's not humor, it's trees (one tree actually). And it didn't go over my head, it body-checked me coming off a wood feature at Trestle Bike Park. It sent my upper arm and elbow into my ribs and I'm pretty sure there's separation between bone and connective cartilage...making breathing a bit labored. So, I blame hypoxia!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,072
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    7-10 days to ship out.
    I am having mine shipped directly to my wheelbuilder .
    Roger Roger.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Much better than the 25mm clincher IMHO. 17mm of the 25mm clincher is way too narrow for a good trail rim IMO.

  22. #22
    Not dead yet, just playin
    Reputation: ohpossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    The supplier told me ERD on these i ordered were 552mm

    You can get complete wheelsets, i just got rims because they didn't know what a lefty was :screwy:
    Ermahgerd!! We're twernkies! What Lefty hub?
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    I'm going to try the Extralite Hypers
    Wanted a straight pull spoke, and these are retarded light although expensive.

  24. #24
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Much better than the 25mm clincher IMHO. 17mm of the 25mm clincher is way too narrow for a good trail rim IMO.
    Where does it say 17mm width? 25mm is the section depth, not width. All carbon Asian 650b rims I've researched so far have been 30mm wide, with the exception of one, which was 28mm. 24mm and 22mm internally, respectively.

    Edit: Nevermind, I see that one now. That's a new one I haven't seen before... Heavier, narrower, more expensive and looks like a pain in the butt to set up tuebless...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,018
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    The Enves are quite but more expensive; but other than price I've heard nothing except good about them

    Are $160 carbon rims for real?

    As in "you get what you pay for"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've built up 2 sets of road rims without issue. One pair takes a beating on a disc brake equipped CX bike. Never built up the ENVE rims, but I want the ENVE rims. Just can't justify the price for myself.

  26. #26
    underachiever
    Reputation: misterdangerpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Carbon rims for MTB , I guess I am not seeing it......
    How so? I'm currently running 2 ENVE wheelsets (26" XC and 650B AM). I have hundreds of miles on the 26" XC with zero issues (my 2nd set), though just got the 650B version but I gather those will be issue-free also.

    Yup, ENVE rims are expensive. But their customer service and warranty replacement are fantastic. I also like the fact they manufacture the rims here in the USA.

  27. #27
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post
    I also like the fact they manufacture the rims here in the USA.
    +1

    Interesting article here:
    ENVE Composites Factory Tour – Inside Look at Company & Carbon Fiber Manufacturing - Bike Rumor
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  28. #28
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,464
    Bevato is now manufacturing 650b rims. Might be an opportunity for a group buy here... She confirmed in another email that they'll do other hole options as well.

    Please kindly see below our new product information for your reference.

    Model: BWR-132
    650B clincher rim
    profile: 28mm
    width: 26.3mm
    finish: UD finish
    spoke hole combination: front 24H, rear 24H 4.2mm hole
    For disc brake use only
    ERD: 544
    Min. Q'ty request per order: 50pcs
    Production lead time: 3 months after order & payment is confirmed.
    without logo, OEM package FOB Taiwan US$ 169.00/each rim

    This new product will be available in the following trade shows:
    2012 Eurobike show: Hall A1-502
    2012 Interbike show: #26056
    2012 Taichung Bike Week: Evergreen B2 booth #B4

    Please feel free to book meetings with us in the above mentioned trade shows.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  29. #29
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    948
    Anyone tried them ? For $160/rim i might build one wheel to tried them out ( replacing the 'dinged' Crest i have on a wheelset ).
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15
    pretty nice.... i would love to try tubeless on these. what's a good hub to use for these rims ?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    i have a set sitting with SRLPE wheelworks waiting to get built.
    so hopefully i will be trying them soon

  32. #32
    Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Reputation: Phishin Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    i have a set sitting with SRLPE wheelworks waiting to get built.
    so hopefully i will be trying them soon
    How long ago did you order and have they been in contact with delivery status? I ordered the 20mm clinchers yesterday for a new build.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    It took about 8 business days from the time i paid till they were shipped out and got the tracking number the following day.

    The wheelbuilder looked them over and said that the bead seat looks traditional and not tubeless. The supplier specifically told me that they were tubeless profile.

  34. #34
    Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Reputation: Phishin Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    It took about 8 business days from the time i paid till they were shipped out and got the tracking number the following day.

    The wheelbuilder looked them over and said that the bead seat looks traditional and not tubeless. The supplier specifically told me that they were tubeless profile.
    Interesting. Did you purchase the 20mm or the 25mm? They list their 20mm as the clincher tubeless rim.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

  35. #35
    Front Range Cyclist
    Reputation: juansevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I've built up 2 sets of road rims without issue. One pair takes a beating on a disc brake equipped CX bike. Never built up the ENVE rims, but I want the ENVE rims. Just can't justify the price for myself.
    Can't justify the price? Well remember that when you are sitting in a hospital bed because your chinese carbon rim blew up on you, and you can't take them to court because they are in China.

    Carbon rims are an art, best executed by skilled labor in a controlled environment. HUGE difference in cheap stuff vs expensive stuff. I wouldn't risk it. If you can't afford a ENVE carbon rim, stick to alloy.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

    Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul View Post
    Interesting. Did you purchase the 20mm or the 25mm? They list their 20mm as the clincher tubeless rim.
    sorry, mine came from Shanghai Hongying Trade Co.,Ltd
    but they are listed as 30mm

  37. #37
    Front Range Cyclist
    Reputation: juansevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I've built up 2 sets of road rims without issue. One pair takes a beating on a disc brake equipped CX bike. Never built up the ENVE rims, but I want the ENVE rims. Just can't justify the price for myself.
    Can't justify the price? Well remember that when you are sitting in a hospital bed because your chinese carbon rim blew up on you, and you can't take them to court because they are in China.

    Carbon rims are an art, best executed by skilled labor in a controlled environment. HUGE difference in cheap stuff vs expensive stuff. I wouldn't risk it. If you can't afford a ENVE carbon rim, stick to alloy.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

    Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

  38. #38
    Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Reputation: Phishin Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    sorry, mine came from Shanghai Hongying Trade Co.,Ltd
    but they are listed as 30mm
    Any reports? How are they built up? Thanks
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Yeah i have a report.
    Wheelbuilder received the rims and found lots of pinholes in the carbon. Concerned with sealing, we sent pictures to manufacturer. They wanted me to buy some "soft putty" to repair it and i guess they would reimburse me.

    Wheelbuilder emailed them to get spoke tension, and they told him that these rims are not available now b/c they have to change the molds. He checked the bead seat diameter and sure enough, they are too small.

    I emailed Sophia yesterday and will post what i get back.


    So I had the wheelbuilder order some nice American rims.
    Last edited by codytaylor; 08-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    119
    Next update:

    Sophia replied back saying they just realized the problem and the first rims were made per some customers deminsions request and it turns out they are all wrong.

    granted they should have tested the products themselves before sending them out to any other customers, but i was able to get a full refund and will be sending the rims back to them.

    They are planning to re-build the molds and make new 650B rims.

    Looks like right now their customer service is good as they are trying to fix the problem without keeping my money.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,018
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo View Post
    Can't justify the price? Well remember that when you are sitting in a hospital bed because your chinese carbon rim blew up on you, and you can't take them to court because they are in China.

    Carbon rims are an art, best executed by skilled labor in a controlled environment. HUGE difference in cheap stuff vs expensive stuff. I wouldn't risk it. If you can't afford a ENVE carbon rim, stick to alloy.
    Don't know how I missed this.

    You don't think these manufacturers are skilled laborers? This is a region of the world where a huge majority of carbon bicycle products are produced, and yet you think these wheels are just going to explode? That's nutty. I really, really, really want some ENVE rims, and I may get a pair one day, but I have had success with my China/Taiwan rims. If ENVE can buy parts from Taiwan/China then so can I.

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    Next update:

    Sophia replied back saying they just realized the problem and the first rims were made per some customers deminsions request and it turns out they are all wrong.

    granted they should have tested the products themselves before sending them out to any other customers, but i was able to get a full refund and will be sending the rims back to them.
    Scary! They never tried to ride them before selling them? That is not just extreme cost cutting, that is a gamble with their customers' lives. This cheap stuff will cost someone a lot of money.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Nancy from Light-Bicycles just emailed saying their carbon 650b will ship end of this month. Many, many satisfied buyers on their 29er carbon wheels including me. Delivery was quick, aired up nice and tight tubeless (well, except once with the front on a new tire swap, dunno why) and have been reliable.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VICpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    174

    Light-Bicycle

    Hi, how was it for the delivery and costs?
    Do you ride with a lefty?
    Thanks

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VICpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    174

    Ztr

    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Anyone tried them ? For $160/rim i might build one wheel to tried them out ( replacing the 'dinged' Crest i have on a wheelset ).
    Hi, why do you have such an issue with these rims?
    Thanks

  46. #46
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    Hi, why do you have such an issue with these rims?
    Thanks
    The Crest rims ?

    Well sure they're light but that comes at a cost, i find them way too soft. I already busted the rear rim once and now have to ride with a tube and they're full of dings from rocks. My Pacenti's on the other hand are, apart from the stickers, brand new even though i ride them much harder and with lower pressures.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

  47. #47
    AKA Mr.Habanero
    Reputation: panzer103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    206
    I have a 2012 fox36 will those 30mm ebay rims fit my fork or would they be a smidge too big? I want to use the Ardents but those are high volume 2.4 tires. I think the carbon rims would be a great addtion to my riding!

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    Keep mind those Chinese rims does not include shipping. Add another $70 shipping and now those rims are $200 each approx. Many domestic online sites you can get free shipping. So these rims are ~$110 more than a Stan's Arch EX after all is said and done. Then you've got to deal with overseas transactions if you have warranty issues.

    IDK. For me, I'd still rather use an alu rim for much less and deal with a US company than overseas company. And these carbon rims are the same weight or slightly less weight.
    We Ride In God's Country!

  49. #49
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,264
    More like $35 for shipping.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    These rims are intriguing for the price only when compared to the elites, ala Enve or Easton. But they're still much more than the popular and great Stans rims.

    What are the advantages of these cheaper Chinese rims over the Stans? Weight? Not really. Stiffer? Maybe. But can that REALLY be felt on the ride? Maybe by some. More durable? Still mixed reviews.

    I think carbon frames have proven themselves. But carbon rims? Maybe not yet, at least not at the prices they're asking.

    I know what would convince me! A video like the PinkBike video, the one with them thrashing and stress testing the alu vs. carbon Nomad. If they did some tests like those, then I'd be convinced and more than willing to fork out my cash and sell my whole lot of alu wheelsets. In fact, I'm going to send that video to Nancy at LB and see what she might be able to do.

    UPdate: I sent her a link to the PinkBike video. She said she'll send it to her engineers and see if they can make a video. Now that would be cool if they prove their strength with video!
    Last edited by myitch; 11-19-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    We Ride In God's Country!

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    449
    If the price on carbon rims vs aluminum equated to an equal ratio for durability, then it would be reasonable to go carbon. As much as I like Enve rims they are 10x the cost of a Stan's rim and they have not be out long enough to know what the average life span will ultimately be. I may take a chance on Light Bike wheels. Still lust for a Kappius/Enve build though.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12
    450g is too heavy for me. I am interested in Light-Bicycle 650b rims, much lighter and 30mm width... Anybody used them before? share some experience?

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    These rims are intriguing for the price only when compared to the elites, ala Enve or Easton. But they're still much more than the popular and great Stans rims.

    What are the advantages of these cheaper Chinese rims over the Stans? Weight? Not really. Stiffer? Maybe. But can that REALLY be felt on the ride? Maybe by some. More durable? Still mixed reviews.

    I think carbon frames have proven themselves. But carbon rims? Maybe not yet, at least not at the prices they're asking.

    I know what would convince me! A video like the PinkBike video, the one with them thrashing and stress testing the alu vs. carbon Nomad. If they did some tests like those, then I'd be convinced and more than willing to fork out my cash and sell my whole lot of alu wheelsets. In fact, I'm going to send that video to Nancy at LB and see what she might be able to do.

    UPdate: I sent her a link to the PinkBike video. She said she'll send it to her engineers and see if they can make a video. Now that would be cool if they prove their strength with video!
    It will absolutely outlast aluminum. The one I would like to see is Easton/Enve vs. Chinese. One of those companies should put a stress test video together so we can see what the price difference buys. I have a feeling that people would be sticking with the name brands after that.

  54. #54
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianHuige View Post
    450g is too heavy for me. I am interested in Light-Bicycle 650b rims, much lighter and 30mm width... Anybody used them before? share some experience?
    Alot of people are using them, with mixed results. Derby seems to be a big fan...

    Carbon rims...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  55. #55
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    It will absolutely outlast aluminum. The one I would like to see is Easton/Enve vs. Chinese. One of those companies should put a stress test video together so we can see what the price difference buys. I have a feeling that people would be sticking with the name brands after that.
    More like Enve vs Easton & Chinese....
    All Easton has going for them is a US ofice to deal with in case of warrenty, their carbon rims are made overseas like the th LB rims.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,888
    They are actually made in Mexico, not China. They have their own factory down there and like most US companies did not want to deal with the EPA.

  57. #57
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    They are actually made in Mexico, not China.
    Not to mention the easton carbon rims have eyelets, are UST certified, and use HDPE which is reportedly less brittle & more impact resistant than typical carbon weave. Not saying there isn't room for improvement with their hubs, but the rims are bomber, and for me their customer service (ordering alternate axles & updating hub guts) has been great.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bones2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    320
    So I got my light bicycle 650b rims stronger version. They weighed 405g and 406g (enve AM are 410g). Laced to Chris king hubs.

    LBS tried to mount nemoto 2.1 rear and 2.3 front unsucsefully. Said they were loose and leaked air leaked with the compressor. They stopped ( they are very conservative with what they will set up tubless for safety reasons). They then Mounted a pair of 2.35 Nobby Nics that set up quick, tight and sealed well. It's a little more tire in the rear than I wanted. (RR are not an option because sidewalks too thin)

  59. #59
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    So I got my light bicycle 650b rims stronger version. They weighed 405g and 406g (enve AM are 410g). Laced to Chris king hubs.

    LBS tried to mount nemoto 2.1 rear and 2.3 front unsucsefully. Said they were loose and leaked air leaked with the compressor. They stopped ( they are very conservative with what they will set up tubless for safety reasons). They then Mounted a pair of 2.35 Nobby Nics that set up quick, tight and sealed well. It's a little more tire in the rear than I wanted. (RR are not an option because sidewalks too thin)
    I guess this thread went off topic from the "Yoeleo" rims subject. Sorry, I have no experience with Yoeleo rims, they do look nice having a rounded outside style.

    Regarding Bones2 problem, I mounted 2.3 Neo-motos using ghetto rim strips over 2 rounds of 1" reinforced packing tape, and Stan's sealant, with no sealing problems while mounting using soapy water around the beads and a floor pump on the L-B regular rims. They hold air as well for as many days as previously using Velocity Blunt and P35 rims.

    Before going to ghetto strips I had frequent air burp problems when riding rocks, landing jumps, and hard cornering even pealed the tire off the rim a couple times, with Velocity rims and Neo-moto's using Stan's rubber strips.

    These L-B rims were harder to spoon the beads over the rim, needing near maximum effort with tire levers. My old Blunt and P35 do appear to have a deeper inside channel.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bones2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    320
    Thanks derby! your info is a large part of why I converted my Mojo HD to 650.

    Is the neomoto a true tubless ready bead??

    The mechanic who mounted my tires were mentioning that the channel was deeper than Stan's and that that may have contributed to the looseness. Does the extra layers of ghetto strips help with that? I think they just put a rim strip to seal the spoke wholes. I have never experienced a burb, And dont want to, someone died near me last year from a suspected ghetto tubeless set up where the tire came off. I will take peace of mind over a faster rolling rear tire.

  61. #61
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Thanks derby! your info is a large part of why I converted my Mojo HD to 650.

    Is the neomoto a true tubless ready bead??

    The mechanic who mounted my tires were mentioning that the channel was deeper than Stan's and that that may have contributed to the looseness. Does the extra layers of ghetto strips help with that? I think they just put a rim strip to seal the spoke wholes. I have never experienced a burb, And dont want to, someone died near me last year from a suspected ghetto tubeless set up where the tire came off. I will take peace of mind over a faster rolling rear tire.
    I have 3 Neos mounted tubeless on 3 different rims. Neo 2.3 on Stans 355; Neo 2.1 on Velocity Blunt; Neo 2.1 on WTB Laserdisc Trail. All with tape & sealant only- no rimstrips. Not sure about whether the beads are " true" TLR, but I know Pacenti has zero qualms about mounting his tires tubeless. My method is to wrap a few layers of gorilla tape around the rim, insert valve and then mount the tires, then inject sealant thru the valve, then slosh the sealant around. IME when you mount tires you know how easy they may or may not seat depending on how easy they go on. The easier to mount, the harder to seat. The 2.3's seated on the 355's much easier than the other two. Those required much effort and voodoo to seat. Such as squirting a bead of sealant around the outside of the rims between the tire beads and letting it dry for 24 hours to create a semi airtight seal, then inflating with compressor and using sudsy soapy water. Once seated inflate to 40 psi and let "cure" for a day before using. I'm north of 180 lbs and run them at 30 psi rear and 27 psi front. Never had a burp or flat in two seasons but the do require topping off pressure before riding
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  62. #62
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,787
    Neo-motos, and every 650b tire I'm aware of so far, have clincher hook beads designed for inside tube pressure to clinch the bead to the inside of the rim and be held from lifting off the rim by the rim's clincher bead hook.

    Converting clincher bead tires to tubeless is always experimental, and often requires filling the rim's bead centering TR shoulder or wider channel with layers of tape to obtain a tightly centered bead which won't lift or move inside the rim easily without an inner tube to lock the beads in place.

    TR (Tubeless Ready) tires have the same bead profile as a UST (Universal Standard Tubeless) tire, the difference in tires is the UST tires have more rubber in the casing to hold air pressure without sealant.

    UST rims also have a clincher bead hook, plus a flat inside bead centering shoulder which has a UST tire bead lock on each side next to the middle channel.

    TR rims are similar to UST having just a tire bead centering flat inside shoulder and clincher bead hook, but TR rims have no UST tire bead hooks inside the flat shoulder next to the channel.

    Rims are beginning to appear having no clincher bead hooks, much like motorcycle and car tire rims, relying on inside rim shoulders to keep any clincher, TR, or UST tire centered and prevent the bead from lifting off the rim. The advantages for bicycle rims having no clincher bead hooks are lighter weight and wider inside rim width.

    Use your favorite internet search tool on "UST" to find a picture of this standard of rim design. I think Mavic has good pictures of this.

  63. #63
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    UST rims also have a clincher bead hook, plus a flat inside bead centering shoulder which has a UST tire bead lock on each side next to the middle channel.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    449
    It would be great if there was more standardization for tires so there would be not worries when paying car tire prices for bike tires and finding they don't work tubeless. Stan's 355 works fine with WTB Exiwolf's but they blow off the Crest. In comparison to the 355, it seems the bead hook has been minimized for wt reduction.

    I heard that WTB will modify their bead to work best with a rim that they will be releasing for OEM sales. This must be the exception as it doesn't make sense for the industry will not be heading to proprietary tire/rim combinations.

    The extra meat in the sidewall of the UST's are great for heavier riders and rock protection but the selection seems to be declining - hope they are not on their way out.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12
    [QUOTE=mattsavage;9901580]Alot of people are using them, with mixed results. Derby seems to be a big fan...

    Thank you!
    I noticed their wide 29er rims seem very popular on MTB, they have a great after-sale service and warranty.
    Their 650b rims haven't been sold for long, I believe they would keep their 650b rims improving to expand further market? Really hope so!

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    It would be great if there was more standardization for tires so there would be not worries when paying car tire prices for bike tires and finding they don't work tubeless. Stan's 355 works fine with WTB Exiwolf's but they blow off the Crest. In comparison to the 355, it seems the bead hook has been minimized for wt reduction.

    I heard that WTB will modify their bead to work best with a rim that they will be releasing for OEM sales. This must be the exception as it doesn't make sense for the industry will not be heading to proprietary tire/rim combinations.

    The extra meat in the sidewall of the UST's are great for heavier riders and rock protection but the selection seems to be declining - hope they are not on their way out.
    There is standardization: UST. Stans is not a UST rim, so using it tubeless with any tire is a gamble.
    If you have a tire with UST bead (not necessarily a UST tire, explained in post above) and a UST rim you will be fine most of the time. Not even UST rims, "UST like" rims are usually fine
    Stans tries to save weight by making the bead hook smaller (and not using eyelets). I am all for saving weight, but not this way.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Anybody know anything about Yoeleo?

    27.5" MTB Rims - 27.5" Carbon MTB Mountain Bike Clincher Rims 25mm Single Rim

    I hate things that sound too good to be true

    Anyone try out this, any lucky?

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •