mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Yeti SB75 or Trance 27.5

Which one would buy Yeti SB75 or Trance 27.5 and why?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    I have just placed an order for a Trance 27.5 1.

I haven't ridden the Yeti but I did ride a lot of others like the Stumpjumper, Camber and Whyte T129 S and Works and for me nothing came close to the ride or fun factor that the Trance gave me.

The silkysmooth talas fork on the front and maestro suspension is great!

if you have the opportunity take them both out for a spin

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theblarney View Post
    I have just placed an order for a Trance 27.5 1.

I haven't ridden the Yeti but I did ride a lot of others like the Stumpjumper, Camber and Whyte T129 S and Works and for me nothing came close to the ride or fun factor that the Trance gave me.

The silkysmooth talas fork on the front and maestro suspension is great!

if you have the opportunity take them both out for a spin
    You really can't compare a Yeti to a Giant. Although Giant does make good mass produced bikes. I have ridden the SB95C and SB66C which are both in the top of there class. I would buy the Yeti for resale value alone. The Yeti will be slaker and better on the downhills. The Yeti likes to be ridden fast. They both climb very well. Go carbon if you can. I makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    You will have plenty of people saying that one is better than the other but you just need to ride both if you can because what works best for one person wont necessarily work for you.

mtbr member
    Definitely sit on both before you decide. Yeti is taking the long top tube/short stem geometry to a new level. The small frame has a 23.9 inch top tube and the medium has a 24.4!

I tried an SB66 and it was just too long for me.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    You really can't compare a Yeti to a Giant. Although Giant does make good mass produced bikes. I have ridden the SB95C and SB66C which are both in the top of there class. I would buy the Yeti for resale value alone. The Yeti will be slaker and better on the downhills. The Yeti likes to be ridden fast. They both climb very well. Go carbon if you can. I makes a big difference.
    I don't agree with the idea that a Giant can't be as good because it's mass produced.

Giant has deep pockets which can be used for a (potentially) better product at a lower cost.

I haven't ridden either 27.5 bike, but I have ridden the 575 and Trance X1 and I prefer the Giant. The fact that the Giant is a better deal is just a bonus for me.

As other said though...ride both. My brother rides the 575 and I ride the Giant and both think we have the better bike.

If your dropping that kind of cash on a bike it's worth it to pay for the demos even if you won't recover all of you demo cost on the bike purchase.

Also agreed on the carbon. I'd rather ride a carbon bike with cheaper parts than an aluminum bike with better parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Go with the Yeti, they have annual camping trips for their riders. Giant on the other hand, said FU to every one of their riders(26" and 29") not on a 27.5 bike.

After what Giant did to the 26" wheel and is attempting to do to the 29", I will never buy anything made by Giant, or made by their factories.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got both sb66 and trance x 29er. Sb66 is a good bike all round. However I gave it to my mrs, while trance x 29er I find to slow in terms of speed, turning and even climbing steep hill. Most probably I'll be selling both my bikes and invest in 650b, because this will be the new standard. In the future I won't have difficulties finding spare parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Go with the Yeti, they have annual camping trips for their riders. Giant on the other hand, said FU to every one of their riders(26" and 29") not on a 27.5 bike.

After what Giant did to the 26" wheel and is attempting to do to the 29", I will never buy anything made by Giant, or made by their factories.
    FWIW, Yeti's are awesome bikes... but Yeti was one of the most outspoken opponents of 29ers, and one of the last to embrace 29" wheels. They called them "circus bikes", remember? Hence the name "Big Top" for their first 29er HT frame. They said their own "FU" to 29er riders, at least until they realized the sales and market share on which they were losing out. Some people consider Yeti to be hypocrites and sell-outs for jumping on the 29er "bandwagon" after arguing so strenuously against them.

Giant, like Yeti, were late to market and missed the boat in grabbing 29er market share, which was one of the biggest things to invigorate bike sales in 20 years. So now, they are betting heavily on 27.5, in the hopes that they will be early adopters on the next big industry trend. And in any case, they do make some pretty good bikes nowadays.

In short, it's all just business.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Yeti SB75 or Trance 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    They said their own "FU" to 29er riders, at least until they realized the sales and market share on which they were losing out. Some people consider Yeti to be hypocrites and sell-outs for jumping on the 29er "bandwagon" after arguing so strenuously against them.
    So the lesson here is don't ever go with a company that realized they were wrong and changed their strategy for the better to give people what they want? Forget that. If they make something awesome now and it fits you and your budget, go for it. Who cares what some marketing guy said 10 years ago.

Fwiw I have an sb95c and its awesome so there's my bias.

mtbr member
    There are SO MANY bikes today that are really good by all objective measures....pick any $3,000 full suspension bike from a decent brand today and it would have been absolutely earth shattering 10 years ago.
    So how do you pick?
    The advice to test ride, while pretty obvious, is really good advice....all these bikes are designed by people (ok, that's stupidly obvious), and some of these people will have preferences for fit, geometry, suspension tune, and components that are more compatible with yours.
    However, I think it's also important to be honest with yourself and recognize that bike buying is an emotional purchase, not based purely on economics, bike weight, and other measurables....and owning a mountain bike that you really love and ride a lot is, IMO, akin to a serious girl friend, or at least having a beloved pet (not that those two are the same! Settle down ladies!)... it requires a commitment of time, money, and upkeep, but the rewards go beyond the obvious.
    These are the reasons that would lead me to the Yeti....no doubt. I've ridden Yetis and Giants before...they both make a good product, but If I'm going to vote with my wallet, I'm voting for the guys (and gals) who have the deepest roots in the history of mountain biking, who have supported racing at all levels for longer than most of us have been riding, and who make really innovative and unique products, not the huge overseas corporation that infringes on the intellectual property of the industry's brightest (Maestro - DW Link - Dave Weagel .....Look it up). If I'm joining a club, I'm joining "The Tribe" that hosts campouts, brightens my rainy days with crazy video stoke, and is populated by people who like the same Colorado craft brews that I do.
    If this all sounds like a bunch of touchy feely claptrap, then to each his own....bust out your calculator and tape measure and go to town....but if you are what you ride, I'd prefer to be an Abominable Snow Man from Colorado rather than a Taiwanese Giant.

On a more practical note... I agree that carbon is worth it if it's in the budget.... durability, weight, stiffness, and ride quality!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    So the lesson here is don't ever go with a company that realized they were wrong and changed their strategy for the better to give people what they want? Forget that.
    So when Yeti does it, they are recognizing their mistake and changing strategy, but when Giant does it, they are saying "FU" to their riders?
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post

Get real, giant haven't done anything to the 26" or 29", they have just decided that 650b fits them and their strategy better

At the end if the day they need/want to make money

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    So when Yeti does it, they are recognizing their mistake and changing strategy, but when Giant does it, they are saying "FU" to their riders?
    Whoa, put that jump to conclusions mat away! My comment applies to any company that changed for the better. Me liking my yeti has no bearing on how good or bad giant might be as a bike or as a corporation.

Now to shoe-horn in some on topic banter with an answer to the OP...

Me personally, Yeti. Because I rode a ton of bikes, the yeti fit me best, rode the best imo, and I was in a rare mood to blow a ton of money. Of course to anyone that's not me that advice is virtually useless so some other things to consider...the Giant is less expensive and currently available in carbon. If you go yeti and want carbon you'll have to wait and pay more but you get that shiny blue switch thingy. Either bike is likely to be pretty sweet.

LCW
    mtbr member

Yeti SB75 or Trance 27.5

Who's ridden both in 27.5 form? Which climbs better? Which descends better? How about through rough sections under braking.

The Trance is a few Benjamins cheaper - that is appealing even though I'm a big Yeti fan.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    the SB75 has a 7.5-8lbs frame. That's a deal breaker for a 125mm bike. That's getting into burly AM/freeride frame weight territory.

the Trance is going to feel snappier and more XC feelings. The Yeti has a much longer top tube and overall be better for descending.

If you want more trail/XC get the Trance, but if you want more burly, look for something lighter than the SB