mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Yet another thread about choosing which bike

I am fortunate enough to have come into some $ and am starting to explore my first (and probably last) high end steed. As a reference I am a high-end inermediate/low-end advanced rider. I weigh 160# and am 5'9" with a relatively long reach. I live in New England, and we tend to ride very technical stuff here. I like climbing almost as much as going down, and walk my bike only when absolutely necessary. My max air might be a 3 foot drop, but only with a perfect lead-in and landing. I'm currently riding an 08 Spec FSR Expert, which I've always been happy with, for lack of comparison.

I am exploring some 650B stuff, and am currently looking at 2 bikes. I would really appreciate hearing from people that have ridden these, and not just opinions based upon forum chatter and numbers. I've already read that stuff ad nauseum.

What I know is these are 2 bikes that are trying to do things in very different ways. I will list the concerns, both of what I've read and what I would imagine.

BIKE #1: Ibis HDR 650B with an XT build. I would really like to go X01 here but don't want to drop $400 every time my cassette needs to be changed or $300 if I break a RD.

Concerns:
    1. HDR frame being forced into a 650 build. Some are questioning this frame with a 130mm shock and 140 mm fork. There are very few reviews of this setup. The two I've found seem to like it, but I'm questioning their bias. One follows an interview with Scot Nichols, the owner of Ibis.

2. Clearance for rear tire. This is all over the forums, and is definitely an issue. I'm guessing as more 650B tires become available this will be less of an issue.

3. i don't know much about geo, but the 67 HA and 71SA seem somewhat sketchy for decent climbing, especially considering the bike will weigh almost 30# with XT and pedals.

All that said, the DW link and suspension on this bike are spot-on, and I've always believed Ibis makes great bikes. I'm just not sure if this is a holdover until a dedicated 650b is made.

Bike #2: Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL 770. Pretty good reviews across the board with some nice innovation. The top tier 970 went from X0 drivetrain to XX1, taking it out of the running until my Powerball numbers match. The 770 runs XT and changed the rear triangle to carbon, making it an all carbon build.

I really like this bike but have questions for those who have ridden it.

1. The straight-up geometry: Nice idea, but I wonder if RM has gotten a bit over the edge with a 76 degree ST angle. I have no doubts it's great for climbing and conquering techy stuff. I do wonder how it translates to descents. Is it a non-issue since you're out of the saddle? Many reviewers set the geometry to the slackest HTA probably to compensate, but I'm guessing that would drop the BB too low for technical riding.

2. I've heard the suspension is a mixed bag. Reviews are all over the place on this.

I love the innovation, the Ride-9 suspension seems like a great idea. Internal routing makes me slobber. Overall seems like a sweet bike. If I can get past concern #1 this will probably be my choice.

Looking forward to responses from people who have spent time with these bikes. Peace!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    straight-up geometry - if you think about it, a steeper seat angle makes is easier to get behind the saddle for descents.

I've often set up my saddle fairly forward (non-setback seatpost) and it helps, not hurts, descending, out of the saddle anyway.

mtbr member
    i would go with hdr from bikeco with 157mm rear travel. dont worry about 67 head angle. this bike climbs great. and you will appreciate it on descends. rear clearance is fine. any truly sized 2.35 will fit. and that is more than enough rear volume even for the roughest terrain.
    plus ibis will treat you well.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the responses. Any thoughts on the bushings RM is using instead of bearings. My guess is it isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have time to check the site right now but what fork would you run that setup with to keep the present geo? Seems like it would really change the bike to me.

mtbr member
    no, not really, it is just shorter travel (stroke) but eye to eye remains same. they will recommend you fork based on what you are looking for. . if i was getting fork right now would be most likely pike
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Checked the site. No HDR's being offered right now. Thanks anyway...

mtbr member
    call them, they will take care of you.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You seem to want a carbon bike. Have you considered one of the new Trek Remedy's with 140mm travel F/B? Don't think they are available quite yet (soon I think) but plenty of info floating around here and the web on them. Bike looks really great on paper with a reasonably New England friendly BB height of 13.6" (there are 2 BB/HA settings). Another option to consider perhaps?

I see you live in CT. Might want to give Blackstone Bicycles in Cumberland RI a call and take a drive. They were supposed to have Altitudes to demo (not just a parking lot ride) with riding close by. Besides Rocky they also carry Ibis, Pivot, Banshee and Transition and now Salsa

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, I might just take that drive. I want to check out the Pivot and Banshee as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Give Lou at Briarcliff Bikeworks a call, he sells both Santa Cruz and Ibis and he's the only one I'll let touch my bike, he's that good. I currently have a HDR being built up, can't wait. Love the DW

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Like stated above, if you would swing the aluminum way, why not check out a Turner Burner?

mtbr member

RE: Yet another thread about choosing which bike

You should really find a Rocky dealer and take the Alti for a spin. The seat angle is subjective personal thing, plus with Ride 9 you can alter geo anyways, and/or put on a offset seatpost to slacken the angle a bit (unless you want a dropper, then the KS dropzone is pretty much your best choice). So you want to feel how the seat angle is for YOU in the three primary geo tunes. Forget the other bikes, the new Alti is probably the most versatile bike out there. But since your sensitive to bias note that I own 3 Rocky Mountains.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express