mtbr member
    Jan 2007

X-fusion velvet travel adjustment?

how easy is it to adjust the travel on these? are their on line instructions anywhere?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_309
    how easy is it to adjust the travel on these? are their on line instructions anywhere?
    Working on this fork could not get any easier! I've stripped down and reassembled mine in less than 15 minutes. Iirc, they recommend the Fox spacer for their forks.
    http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/

I spoke with them last week and their new forks should be ready soon. They have a new "Vengeance" AM fork and an updated "Velvet" both of which will be 650b compatible right out of the box!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    That new fork will have 650b riders.........wait for it........wait for it................wait for it............okay here it is:

Just had to do it!

nothing relevant to say
    I was surprised how easy it was to work on. I have basic fork knowledge, and with a little verbal guidence from XF I had mine converted within 30min. I had to modify a small piece in my fork too, XF is now shipping with the mod already made. So, no one needs to worry about that...

mtbr member
    Great to hear that they're releasing an "official," 650b fork soon! I have that 650b Curtlo on order and I was a little nervous about the expense and mixed reviews of the White Brothers options...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the one thing that strikes me as strange with that fork is the small offset, compared to most 26" forks.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    the one thing that strikes me as strange with that fork is the small offset, compared to most 26" forks.

Yes, it is... I heard tell that the offset was a "mistake", but I've yet to confirm that. It sounds like it will be adjusted for on future forks.

In their defense, the offset actually works very well for bikes / riders that go down hill really fast. It's incredibly stable and the bike "comes to life" once you hit a certain speed. Mine works very well on everything but the steepest climbs, where the fork tends to wander a bit.

Once upon a time, in the MTB olden days before suspension was ubiquitous, rigid forks were available in many different offsets. In fact, I ran a 32mm offset Bontrager fork (both rigid and suspended) for years and loved it. ymmv.

Cheers,

KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 01-16-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    kirk, do you have a feel for what causing the wandering? low speed or lack of weight over the front wheel?

i ride single speed so if it's weight that wouldn't be so bad since i would probably have already moved to a standing position before it ever got to that point.

mtbr member
    The wandering would be a "trail" thing - as in the fork trail due to that 33mm of offset (that's my guess)