mtbr member
    Nov 2004

X-fusion Velvet on a Race-type bike?

Anyone here using an X-fusion Velvet on a race-type bike?
    Either a hardtail or short travel FS?
    Can you compare it to any other forks?
    Is it genuinely a good fork or just the only game in town for a 650b race fork?
    Is axle to crown such where if I had a hardtail frame made, the frame would work with anything that comes out in the future?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    Anyone here using an X-fusion Velvet on a race-type bike?
    Either a hardtail or short travel FS?
    Can you compare it to any other forks?
    Is it genuinely a good fork or just the only game in town for a 650b race fork?
    Is axle to crown such where if I had a hardtail frame made, the frame would work with anything that comes out in the future?
    It's genuinely a good fork. I'd put it up against the Fox Float any day. I race it on my SS hardtail with the 9mm qr front and it performs very well. That being said, I did buy it cause it was affordable and I couldn't find a Manitou Minute in my price range at the time. It will be replaced as soon as Manitou releases the Marvel 650b (provided its a straight 1.125" steerer)

I don't understand your last question... But, I'll take a stab. If you have a frame custom built, I'd be sure to make it a tapered headtube. Fewer forks will be straight 1.125" in the future, I believe. Also, I'd design the geometry to be compatible with a 100mm fork or 490-500mm a-c for 650b.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Genuinely good fork...lighter than fox, just as stiff, great quality of travel. Only shortcoming is that it does not have quite as adjustable a damper as the last generation RLC from fox (blow off threshold, high and low speed compression) but that could be a good thing since most people don't know how to set their forks up properly anyway (which is why fox switched to the CTD.....dumbing it down for the masses). I should add that X-fusion forks are ALL metal...no plastic bits to get buggered up.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem