Big Paws on a Puppy!!

WTB Frequency I23

Apologies if this has already been asked but.....

What's the deal with the WTB I23 rim? Would these be an upgrade, downgrade, or even swap from my current P35's? Anybody with any real world ride time on these?

Thanks!
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can't comment on the P35's but the I23's are very solid. I've used them in both 26" and 650b, been very impressed with both. Reasonably light, very stiff, UST compatible, and hold up very well. Most of my riding is Front Range so lots of rock and gnarl, no issues.

Auburn Bike Works
    I really like the I23 rims, all the wheels I've built this year with them have built well and held up under some big guy's. I think they are probably the same strength, the P35 is giving a way better tire profile that's why I chose them over the I23s. I don't run anything smaller than a 2.25 though.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I have ordered a custom 650B-Wheelset which arrived today: WTB Frequency i23, Tune Hubs, Sapim Race/Laser-Mix. My Wheelbuilder recommended them highly as THE alternative to the Stans Flow-Ex. Both come from the same Factory and he stated the WTBs to be more rigid and with more lateral stiffness. Real-Life-Test is coming soon. I canīt comment on the P35 ...

mtbr member
    I have been looking at both the i23 and the p35... Any others who have ridden both? My friend said the p35 is soft. The wtbz look cooler. P35 look like Walmart rims.. Haha

mtbr member
    The i23 rims use a Series 7000 aluminum alloy which is harder than the Series 6000 alloy used in the P35 rims. I think it depends on the tire widths you are riding, and which rim will give you a better tire profile. The i23 rims don't have a weight limit for normal riding, and unless you are over maybe 250 pounds, would probably be an upgrade. At heavier riding weights, you are probably best off using a wider rim and wider tires to get sufficient support. There's a thread on the i23 rim in the Wheels and Tires forum, which has a lot of information on the rims and rider experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Apologies if this has already been asked but.....

What's the deal with the WTB I23 rim? Would these be an upgrade, downgrade, or even swap from my current P35's? Anybody with any real world ride time on these?

Thanks!
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.