Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Women's 650b Carbon Hard tail

I am looking at the new 650b/27.5 bikes for this year. I am 4 11" and 100 lbs so need a 15" frame or smaller. Can anyone recommend a carbon frame in a small size? Most of the frames I have found so far are steel. I would also consider a full suspension. I am an endurance mtb racer so will be putting a lot of miles on it.

dwt
    mtbr member

I think 27.5" makes much sense for "small stature" riders.

The Jamis Nemesis has a 15" version

http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...at_grp=m650b_1

Still don't know if you can get the Scott Scale that Nino Schurter made famous.

Also saw this online recently:

http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/arti...st-look-36600/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here in Europe are already delivering the SCALE 27.5, otherwise you can see the new ht of the world champion and Olympic Julie Bresset Infos VTT : BH/Suntour/KMC : 26
    Women's 650b Carbon Hard tail-bresset.jpg

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by aspide125 View Post
    Here in Europe are already delivering the SCALE 27.5,
    On another topic (dual suspension AM bikes) do you have any info from Europe on Cube Stereo? That bike sounds sweet on paper. Merci

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aspide125 View Post
    Here in Europe are already delivering the SCALE 27.5, otherwise you can see the new ht of the world champion and Olympic Julie Bresset Infos VTT : BH/Suntour/KMC : 26
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bresset.jpg 
Views:	4212 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	776529
    Thanks that looks like a pretty nice bike!

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliek View Post
    Thanks that looks like a pretty nice bike!
    I can't imagine buying a bike right now that can never take an adjustable post. Within a year or 2 most XC racers will use 2-4" drop posts. They result in faster lap times and better rest during downhills.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    KHS makes carbon HT 650b bikes. Their small is 15"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliek View Post
    I am looking at the new 650b/27.5 bikes for this year. I am 4 11" and 100 lbs so need a 15" frame or smaller. Can anyone recommend a carbon frame in a small size? Most of the frames I have found so far are steel. I would also consider a full suspension. I am an endurance mtb racer so will be putting a lot of miles on it.
    I am 5'2' 105 and looking for the same type of bike - carbon HT or efficient FS carbon 650 bike.

I just looked through a bunch of websites for bikes frames and geometries. The only options I came up with are:

Lynsky - has titanium HT. Their stock bikes have a 22 inch effective top tube which would be too long for me. They will do a custom but it is really pricey for frame only.

KHS has a carbon HT with a 21.9 inch top tube. I may try to find one to do a test ride.

I am riding a 29er with a 21.5 top tube and wide bars. I don't think I can could go any longer that 21.5 so the KHS may not work either.

Let me know if you find any other options.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclerDi View Post
    Their stock bikes have a 22 inch effective top tube which would be too long for me.
    KHS has a carbon HT with a 21.9 inch top tube. I may try to find one to test ride.

I'm riding a 29er with a 21.5 top tube and wide bars. I don't think I can could go any longer that 21.5 so the KHS may not work either.
    How long is the stem on your current bike? If a 1/2" of top tube has you concerned remember that can be negated with a 10mm shorter stem. Down to 45mm feels fine with wide bars.

Formerly of Kent
    The same companies that make the frames from the 4,000 post Chinese Carbon 29er thread make 650b frames.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this. In many cases, ~$400, to your door.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I can't imagine buying a bike right now that can never take an adjustable post. Within a year or 2 most XC racers will use 2-4" drop posts. They result in faster lap times and better rest during downhills.
    no, they won't. And racers don't rest during downhills.

u

Formerly of Kent
    I've never understood why people claim dropper posts make for more "rest". Your ass is off the back of the seat, and you're standing, regardless of where your seat is at that point in time. So, your body is in the same position, for the same amount of time. How is that more restful?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Lelandjy - stem is 60 now so not much room to spare there. If santa cruz comes out with a blur cross county that may be an option since their top tubes run a little shorter.

bike rider
    Lelandjy - stem is 60 now so not much room to spare there.
    So if you get a bike with a 22" toptube and use a 45 or 50mm stem your reach will stay the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I've never understood why people claim dropper posts make for more "rest". Your ass is off the back of the seat, and you're standing, regardless of where your seat is at that point in time. So, your body is in the same position, for the same amount of time. How is that more restful?
    Repeat a descent with your seat up and dropped. You'll find that with it up you have to get behind the seat. This keeps your center of gravity high and the saddle interferes with adjusting your weight forward and back. You have to stretch to make these adjustments without clipping the seat. With it dropped you won't be behind the seat, rather hovering just above it. Your arms and legs can be more relaxed rather than stretched out and weight shifts require less effort. You also can go faster or go the same speed with a greater margin of safety because of the lower center of gravity and ease of making weight adjustments.

Take it or leave it, this advice is coming from a pro XC and Enduro racer with two decades in the game. I've always been at the front of technology advancements while most of my competitors take years to catch up (full suspension, wide bars, short stems, big volume tires). XC racers are hesitant to try something the rest of the field isn't using, especially if it weighs more. Mark my words: You will see the whole pro XC field using dropper posts and the industry will support this with lightweight 2-4" drop models. It may take 2-3 years to get to that point but I bet you see more and more of them as this year goes on. All it takes is 2 laps and a stopwatch for each racer to realize which is faster. Even if you're not convinced now, this is why I think it would be a bad idea to buy a bike you're planning on keeping for a while that can't take one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am 5'2' 105 and looking for the same type of bike - carbon HT or efficient FS carbon 650 bike.

I just looked through a bunch of websites for bikes frames and geometries. The only options I came up with are:

Lynsky - has titanium HT. Their stock bikes have a 22 inch effective top tube which would be too long for me. They will do a custom but it is really pricey for frame only.

KHS has a carbon HT with a 21.9 inch top tube. I may try to find one to do a test ride.

I am riding a 29er with a 21.5 top tube and wide bars. I don't think I can could go any longer that 21.5 so the KHS may not work either.

Let me know if you find any other options.
    Will do. I heard Santa Cruz may be coming out with one so I will let you know if I get any info on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KCOgar View Post
    KHS makes carbon HT 650b bikes. Their small is 15"
    Yep, look up KHS's carbon 650b 15" frame. Here's the geo:

http://khsbicycles.com/wp-content/up...o-650-team.jpg

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post

Take it or leave it, this advice is coming from a pro XC and Enduro racer with two decades in the game.
    Interesting. Where do you race, and how long at Cat1/pro so far?

Your make a point, however if Julian Absalon and Julie Bresset are winning on 26" bikes still, something tells me that there's more to it than moving your seat down by an inch or two.

And most of the pros I talk to don't have any problems with their seat getting in the way of things.

bike rider
    I live in Breckenridge, CO and went Expert/Cat 1 in 1995, then Pro in 2002. I mostly do Enduro and DH now, only racing Pro XC in the occassional local race. Experienced XCers don't have a problem handling the bike with the seat up because they've been doing it so long so they don't think they need a dropper post. However, once they try one the faster times and greater ease are undeniable. It's getting them to try a 1lb heavier part that's the hurdle and why it's gonna take a couple mre years despite their universal acceptance in SD/Enduro racing.

Wrench
    It's that 1 pound that everyone is shying away from. Plus, in Enduro and super-D, you are going down for most of the time.

Not true for XC, as I'm sure you know. The make-up of XC courses has been changing, but I doubt it will get as technical to necessitate dropper posts.

Again, it's more of the rider than anything else.

I know a pro DH rider out of Golden who rides XC for a change of pace. He prefers short-travel 26" FS bikes. No dropper post or wide bars.

To each his own.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    no, they won't. And racers don't rest during downhills.

u
    Agreed. Not to mention they are wicked weight weenies. Droppers weigh too much to give an XC racer any advantage

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The same companies that make the frames from the 4,000 post Chinese Carbon 29er thread make 650b frames.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this. In many cases, ~$400, to your door.
    I'm interested in this as well for my wife who is 5'2".

The smallest chinese carbon frame I've found is the 16" size in the '136' frame, offered by a number of the distributors, with an ETT of 570mm which is still quite long.

My wife currently rides a 13" Jamis FS that has an ETT of about 510mm if I'm not mistaken. The smallest stock bike I've found is the Jamis Dragon in 13" and it has an ETT of 21.22 inches or 539mm. It's stated to be 26.75lbs out of the box so presumably could be lightened up some for racing but it's not the sub 22lb bike I had planned to build using a carbon frame as a base...

Uncle
    OP: You could try contacting Carver bikes. They do made to order Ti frames. You'd want to have your geometry completely dialed ahead of time, as they're made overseas to your specs. But the prices seem reasonable, and they've been well regarded from what I can tell on these and other forums. I haven't purchased a frame from them, so this is more of a lead than a reference, if that makes sense. My communication with them in the past has been smooth, clear and efficient, for what its worth.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    If you're after comfort and performance... carbon frames are NOT the way to go. They don't build carbon frames for comfort, they build them for stiffness and weight saving. If I was shopping at that height, or for someone of that small height, I'd look at the Jamis Dragon 650B. Reynolds 853 main tubes and double-butted Tange Prestige stays with a White Bros Loop 120mm fork and Schwalbe RaRa 2.25 tires is gonna be one zippy and comfortable ride.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Yes, that is interesting, found this on Pinkbike today...........

KS Lev Carbon

While intended for cross country (or even cyclocross) usage, KS's new dropper post is unique in that it is constructed from carbon fiber. With only 65mm of travel, this won't be finding its way onto any bikes intended for aggressive downhill usage, but it is interesting to see dropper posts making their way into different areas of the cycling world. The LEV Carbon will be available in 30.9 and 31.6 sizes - KS found that the carbon was too flexy to make constructing a 27.2mm version feasible. The post's weight hasn't been finalized, but the goal is to have it in the low 300 gram range. Final price hasn't been determined either, but it will be less than $600 USD.

First Look: RockShox, American Classic, KS - Taipei Show - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    If you're after comfort and performance... carbon frames are NOT the way to go. They don't build carbon frames for comfort, they build them for stiffness and weight saving. If I was shopping at that height, or for someone of that small height, I'd look at the Jamis Dragon 650B. Reynolds 853 main tubes and double-butted Tange Prestige stays with a White Bros Loop 120mm fork and Schwalbe RaRa 2.25 tires is gonna be one zippy and comfortable ride.
    Say what? Yes it's accurate to say carbon frames are more stiff and lighter than their metallic brethren. However, they are very comfortable. Carbon frames actually absorb vibrations very well and dampen trail chatter.

"The process of manufacturing a carbon frame allows the builders to place the carbon weaves in a manner that provides stiffness, yet dampens road vibrations. Carbon frames are just as stiff as aluminum, but dampen road vibrations, providing a very fast and comfortable ride."

- Willard Peveler, Ph.D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast