mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Will 650B Flows ever be an option?

I like wide rims. I weigh 190lbs. I MIGHT try 650B, if I got a rim that was more interesting to me. I ride Flows on my 29er.

TNC
    noMAD man
    When we were on the phone with them in June, they said they had no plans for one yet...but they didn't say "never"...probably waiting to see how 650B continues to shake out. I think they consider most of the interest coming from the more XC oriented arena at this point, but that might change. I'd certainly rather have a 650B Flow than the ZTR355 on the front of my Nomad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Other than the strong tubeless out-of-the-box factor, I turned to the Sun Ringle EQ27 rims for a wide and strong rim (after attempting to run the 355s under my 6'5/heavy frame) and they rock. I am not sure why they are not on people's radar screens versus the NoTubes products. Otherwise I strongly agree and have asked NoTubes repeatedly to produce this rim for 650b as well.

Weight on the Sun Ringle is 505g which is just a hair heavier than a Flow would be in 650b. The rims are awesome, they are eyeletted (which is a perk over Stans IMO), nice and stiff, 27mm wide, good looking, and nice and strong. No complaints at all, nice and stiff.

I did try to run these tubeless though, I experimented with rim strips with these as well. They worked as well but the NoTubes approach for these is their DH/AM style rim strips which weigh almost as much as light tubes. + the sealant = no weight savings. I also started getting burpage but the only tubeless setup I've ever used that I didn't get burpage is actually a 29er Flow setup and I still got some here and there... Tubeless for me has mostly been a chronic failure, mostly.

After a good year of dicking around with tubeless, I went back to tubes and will probably stay that way. For a lighter guy or if I took the time to really diagnose the Sun Ringle/NoTubes Rims Strips and the NeoMotos, I could probably get it to work. My guess is a couple layers of more tape and/or some of the frost king tape, in the center valley of the rim.

This said I'm back on tubes now and doing fine/no complaints at all. I also think I like the performance of the tire better with tubes. I'm not saying I'm giving up on tubeless, but a lot of my friends have migrated back to tubes after dicking around with tubeless.

Final comment, the NeoMoto (and Quasi) are both incredibly well made. It is not "tubeless ready" but the casing is both light but strong and a couple layers thick at least. I think the Neo is an awesome tubeless candidate... I do have at least 50-100 miles on them tubeless.

Reviewer/Tester
    A 650B Flow would rock!

R.
    It is inevitable ...

www.derbyrims.com
    A wider Flow would be my choice if available.

The demand for XC uses for 650b is much higher now. Very few AM riders know the advantage of 650b yet. I prefer using lower tire pressures for AM uses and narrow rims require higher pressures to sufficiently limit side flex in corners or landing jumps.

The Stan's rims are the only rims specifically designed for tubeless conversion of non-tubeless tires and should be the most reliable and safe way to use tubeless converted tires.

I'll be rebuilding my wheels with Flows when they become available.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    A wider Flow would be my choice if available.
    I'll be rebuilding my wheels with Flows when they become available.
    So am I.
    btw, still no burping with the new strip and tire:P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My new wish list...

650B Flows, 2010 Turner 650B, 650B Reba.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I sent NoTubes an email, and I never got a response. I was trying to find out if their 650B ZTR 355 rim was strong enough to handle a 190lb rider. Anybody else know anything about how their rim holds up to abuse?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    IMO yes it will be fine under 190lbs. I am 225 nekid and I put them through hell. The secret is good spokes and a stiff hub. if running tubeless use the rim strips though otherwise you will probably burp.

emtb.pl
    I weigh 210 and abuse them for a while now. No dents or anything. It is surprising and all friends scratch their heads as 355 is considered ww rim. I use dt champion on a king hub.
    +1 for rim strips - I used yellow tape only and had some sad issues - described on the board somewhere - no issues with strip
    I wish for a flow as the tire will be wider on it, for the durability I have no complaints to date.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    IMO yes it will be fine under 190lbs. I am 225 nekid and I put them through hell. The secret is good spokes and a stiff hub. if running tubeless use the rim strips though otherwise you will probably burp.

I'm 150ish and would agree with this statement. You definitely want some strong spokes. I run the skinniest spokes Stan's offered and I would not feel comfortable with a big dude on my bike for prolonged heavy use. Strong spokes = no problem.

I run tubeless with no strip, but can get away with low pressures. Big guys and higher pressures seem to need the strips.

All in all, I am very pleased. Last race of the year for me was extremely technical and I managed to bend 3 spokes and crack a nipple on my rear crossmax, but the front (650b stans) escaped with mior scratches. That was much bullriding and crashing into many rocks and boulders.

mtbr member

No tubes, no strip

I'm also 150 with gear and have been running a 355 tubeless without rim strips with no problems. I run about 28-29 PSI in a Neo. I'm not a jumper, but I ride agressively on very rocky trails.